Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-08-2006, 11:10 PM   #31
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-0733
wow.......i've got 290kw and return 11 litres/100kms. let me see, a 500 km road trip costs an extra $5.85 in the GT :
i doubt it - official figures are supposed to be a combined highway/city cycle, your 11L per 100 would be cruising on the highway, with cruise control on (and probably using PULP),- correct me if i am wrong yours would be more like 14-15 on a combined cycle, 18-20 city only I would expect the Aurion to get around 7-8 on the highway and 12-13 city only - if it doesnt get it that good, i would say "typical Toyota"
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 11:25 PM   #32
krt10
eskyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99
It's still FWD. Toyota just dosn't get it..
yea i know what you mean. inspired by f1. unless im compleatly wrong f1's arnt FWD
krt10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 12:53 AM   #33
McobraR
me may my mo

This thing where people keep saying "australians dont like fwd" is seriously getting old. Majority of family's want the best buy and best fuel economy, not whether a car is fwd, rwd or 4wd. Last time i checked, there seemed to be heaps of FWD vehicles in the top 10 vehicles sold per month/year. Majority of commo/falc sales are fleet arent they? if we minus that, the sales gap probably wouldnt be that wide with the rest of the field of FWDers
McobraR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 01:01 AM   #34
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good point Cobra, the way some people are talking, everybody would rather have a Kingswood over a new Volkswagen Passat
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 01:18 AM   #35
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Yeah the kingswood would be a great drive in 2006.

If you just trying to get to work FWD is the thing, If you want a family car FWD is good also.
If you wont to.
Maybe drag it one day.
Tune it up one day.
Tow one day.
Then maybe FWD isn't the thing. I personally like the feel of a RWD car. I drove a 2004 Toyota Avalon, Admittingly not the best example but i felt uncomfortable in it at times. Getting on the brakes hard felt like a earth quake in the steering and a total lake of road feel. Hitting a big bump felt like the wheels were spinning. Other then that it was fine.
Old 31-08-2006, 08:43 AM   #36
Dilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza
Dude, blackahcdx is right, it's just a Camry with a different nose on it & V6 engine. They are obviously fooling some people into thinking that it's not a V6 Camry.
No he IS NOT! :
Its not a simple rebadging if there are major differences.
The Aurion has a drivetrain and bodywork different. It also has a lot more features and standard equipment.

Taken from another forum
Also, Australia is the ONLY market that gets this car, regardless of name. The model/development code is 323L. The "Asian Camry" (model 043L) is the same as the global Camry (042L) with some body work changes. We get the 042L here as our base Camry. In no other market is this 3.5L engine sold. The styling is developed separately as well. The clay modelling was done here in Australia by a mob called "TSA", as Toyota don't have an Australian design team at
Dilan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 11:39 AM   #37
blackahcdx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilan
your an idiot, the new VE its a bubbled up vz ... BIG DEAL

what are you smoking boy?
blackahcdx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 11:46 AM   #38
blackahcdx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilan
No he IS NOT! :
Its not a simple rebadging if there are major differences.
The Aurion has a drivetrain and bodywork different. It also has a lot more features and standard equipment.

Taken from another forum
Also, Australia is the ONLY market that gets this car, regardless of name. The model/development code is 323L. The "Asian Camry" (model 043L) is the same as the global Camry (042L) with some body work changes. We get the 042L here as our base Camry. In no other market is this 3.5L engine sold. The styling is developed separately as well. The clay modelling was done here in Australia by a mob called "TSA", as Toyota don't have an Australian design team at

OH ****! I'M RIGHT!!!

Aurion = Camry with 6 cylinder engine and a different nose job.

4cyl Aussie Camry = America Camry

So The US Market Camry, Japanese Market Camry and the Aussie Market 4cyl Camry All share the same body.

Then we have the Taiwan, China, Hong Kong and ASEAN Camry sharing its body with the Aurion.

Once again Aurion = V6 Camry and nothing more.

Can i go back to sleep now?
blackahcdx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 12:04 PM   #39
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Actually all the Camry's are just a BA From AU job when you look close. Front back change and many drive-train upgrades and suspension also interior. But them doors look the same.
What is it with everyone doing that rear end like BMW Lexus now?.
Old 31-08-2006, 12:10 PM   #40
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

It May have 200+ Kw but good luck launching it off the line...
Old 31-08-2006, 12:16 PM   #41
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
Actually all the Camry's are just a BA From AU job when you look close. Front back change and many drive-train upgrades and suspension also interior. But them doors look the same.
What is it with everyone doing that rear end like BMW Lexus now?.
I'm not sure if it's my eyes, but the new Camry appears to have a higher waistline / smaller windows as well. I like to think of the Aurion as a Fairmont and the Camry as a Falcon, in terms of Toyota line up placement. It's good that the Aurion has different sheetmetal in that regard.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 01:01 PM   #42
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin
I'm not sure if it's my eyes, but the new Camry appears to have a higher waistline / smaller windows as well. I like to think of the Aurion as a Fairmont and the Camry as a Falcon, in terms of Toyota line up placement. It's good that the Aurion has different sheetmetal in that regard.
You would swear it's all new, But them subtle little changes like longer wheelbase and higher waistline make them doors look new. But side by side it's scarily the same.
When you see it in person you see how large the wastline is, The boot is high and the front very high beefed looking, I seen this more in the aurion first thing i thoguht was is this a update on the old car similar to BA. I mean the doors might not be able to fit on the old model say like BA to AU or VZ to VT But the basic design is off the old one.
Old 31-08-2006, 01:10 PM   #43
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
You would swear it's all new, But them subtle little changes like longer wheelbase and higher waistline make them doors look new. But side by side it's scarily the same.
When you see it in person you see how large the wastline is, The boot is high and the front very high beefed looking, I seen this more in the aurion first thing i thoguht was is this a update on the old car similar to BA. I mean the doors might not be able to fit on the old model say like BA to AU or VZ to VT But the basic design is off the old one.
I've seen a few of them in person now and one thing I still dislike about this and the previous Camry is the huge barn doors and the whimpy C-pillar. The new front is nice but still has a bug eye feel to it, which I never liked.

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Old 31-08-2006, 01:12 PM   #44
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30487256
3.5L V6 with 204KW? Not impressed... I'm still waiting for the new honda legend. That will have 225KW from only a 3.5V6. That's amazing for such a small capacity...
225kw for 3.5l = 64.285714285714285714285714285714 Kw/Lt

Toyota have a 1.8lt that is...

141kw 1.8

78.333333333333333333333333333333 Kw/Lt

This is a NA engine as well...

Toyota do some boring cars but they can sure build some great engines... Just ask Lotus.
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
mowog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 01:16 PM   #45
Kenster

As much of the agruement and not giving the pros and cons of the camry and Aurion, is that Toyota gotten really far from when it first started in Australia. Now with the Aurion in releasing out very soon i say Good for Toyota so far the build quality has come far and has live up to a lot of family standard from the small cars to family size car.

As much the odd looking design they have, alot of the Toyota cars are on the road and there alot more of them like the hilux, camry. In what im saying that dont bag out a car while they are people out there who like the looks of the Camry and Aurion, with the expect of been big size engine and also the fan of jap cars i have heard alot of people felt really please with they car and saving them heaps of money even if its Toyota.

I will be waiting from an family friend of mine to see what he think about the Toyota Aurion since he work for them
Kenster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 01:22 PM   #46
Dauphin
Irregular member

I am not bagging them. They've done really great for themselves and I will be watching with interest what happens in the future. I have sat in a 2002 Camry and had a good play with its dash and features. I wish I had that level of build quality and class even in my 2000 Fairlane.

Old 31-08-2006, 01:28 PM   #47
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowog
225kw for 3.5l = 64.285714285714285714285714285714 Kw/Lt

Toyota have a 1.8lt that is...

141kw 1.8

78.333333333333333333333333333333 Kw/Lt

This is a NA engine as well...

Toyota do some boring cars but they can sure build some great engines... Just ask Lotus.
Actually that engine is built by Yamaha
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 01:32 PM   #48
Kenster

Quote:
I am not bagging them. They've done really great for themselves and I will be watching with interest what happens in the future. I have sat in a 2002 Camry and had a good play with its dash and features. I wish I had that level of build quality and class even in my 2000 Fairlane.
Yeah Fairlane would have a better quality i think if you sat in a top of the range model for the camry it would feel that, since there are alot of basic model camry out there on the road more than the top of the range.

Ford, Holden and Toyota are the 3 biggest players in the Automotive industry that the world got.
Kenster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 01:49 PM   #49
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
I've seen a few of them in person now and one thing I still dislike about this and the previous Camry is the huge barn doors and the whimpy C-pillar. The new front is nice but still has a bug eye feel to it, which I never liked.
It's a improvement forsure i found myself I'm not sure if i was sick at the time but it looked..... OK to me hard to say as I'm not into there designs doors rears interiors etc.
Old 31-08-2006, 02:00 PM   #50
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
Actually that engine is built by Yamaha
The Head is built by Yamaha... in fact the casting has Yamaha on it.

But the engine is built by Toyota. Yamaha and Toyota have some history going back a fair way on this kind of thing.

At the end of the day it is a Toyota engine... and a bloody good one.

And I love the fact that they put it in a Corolla
Lotus Trooper.
Old 31-08-2006, 02:04 PM   #51
turboute
turboute

Can someone please show me where they read that It will be AWD? On their site it does not mention anything about AWD, only that it has a S/C engine, you would think they would put up the AWD spec as it is a big selling point. Note that it would take alot of engineering / platform changes to impliment an AWD platform in what is basically a Camry. as for the huge power output - it is restricted when cornering (110Kw or so) to stop torque steer.

Falcons are already returning under 10L/100 at the moment so that is nothing to write home about.

Inspired by F1 - so V8 RWD with tiptronic 7spd? fully adjustable suspension? high speed handling aero? Bloody marketing....
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 02:15 PM   #52
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboute
Can someone please show me where they read that It will be AWD? On their site it does not mention anything about AWD, only that it has a S/C engine, you would think they would put up the AWD spec as it is a big selling point. Note that it would take alot of engineering / platform changes to impliment an AWD platform in what is basically a Camry. as for the huge power output - it is restricted when cornering (110Kw or so) to stop torque steer.

Falcons are already returning under 10L/100 at the moment so that is nothing to write home about.

Inspired by F1 - so V8 RWD with tiptronic 7spd? fully adjustable suspension? high speed handling aero? Bloody marketing....
They already have a Camry based AWD platform.... Its called a Klugger...
Lotus Trooper.
Old 31-08-2006, 04:05 PM   #53
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

jeez some people need to pull their heads out, or are you worried a toyota sedan is going to whoop your butts?

Its going to be interesting, some really good cars are on the market at the moment.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 04:14 PM   #54
Dauphin
Irregular member

I only mentioned AWD because some other poster did.. was my reaction. I wonder if it's really AWD. I actually don't remember AWD being mentioned anywhere at the Motor Show now that I think about it.

Have you heard of that feature some FWD cars have that monitor the steering and throttle, and apply some artificial counter-steering (or some front torque-splitting?) behind the scenes to make it feel like there's no torque steer? That's a great idea, should be applied on the Aurion with that much power.

Old 31-08-2006, 04:26 PM   #55
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboute
Falcons are already returning under 10L/100 at the moment so that is nothing to write home about
It could easily be a 1 off. As it was only 1 car in one test so it's not the norm.
Old 31-08-2006, 07:29 PM   #56
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Toyota have never said it will be AWD. Until they do, its just a rumour. I doubt they would engineer it for AWD just for one variant that will sell in low numbers.

As for the 141kw Corolla engine, sure it makes good power but bugger all torque and a very narrow powerband that only goes from 6500-8000rpm. Its a torqueless slug below that. The acceleration times for the Corolla Sportivo reflect that as its slower than its competitors. Its fast in the Lotus because it weighs half as much, its shorter and closer geared and Lotus retuned the ECU to flatten out the torque curve.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 09:23 PM   #57
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Toyota have never said it will be AWD. Until they do, its just a rumour. I doubt they would engineer it for AWD just for one variant that will sell in low numbers.

As for the 141kw Corolla engine, sure it makes good power but bugger all torque and a very narrow powerband that only goes from 6500-8000rpm. Its a torqueless slug below that. The acceleration times for the Corolla Sportivo reflect that as its slower than its competitors. Its fast in the Lotus because it weighs half as much, its shorter and closer geared and Lotus retuned the ECU to flatten out the torque curve.
A simple exhuast mod fixes the low down torque and yes they are a bugga of the line. But dont believe everything you read they start producing good power at around 4000rpm and at 6000 when they come on cam it is awsome all the way to 8200rpm. The numbers seem high but these engines love to rev.

Many cars are well and truely caught of guard by what they think is just a Corolla a well driven stock Sportivo can get into the high 14's I have seen the time slips on the Toyota forums.

And the best part mine averages 6.5-7lt/100 around town.
Lotus Trooper.
Old 31-08-2006, 09:50 PM   #58
nb_351
building the xe...

all these people that are bagging this thing? wtf?
in regard to the marketing... saying its f1 inspired, whats the difference between that and ford saying the gt is v8 supercar inspired?
wheres the similarity apart from the shell...
theres nothing like a locked 9 inch in a road car, or any mention of a 5l anymore...
just cause it has a big front splitter and a big rear spoiler?
and same with holden advertising their new s**tboxes as holdens... when most people know theyre daewoos... and i know gm own/tookover daewoo...
but theyre not "holdens"...
and dont get me wrong, i love rwd cars, but i now drive a fwd mazda...
and its better than anything ford or holden will ever offer for under 25 grand onroad...
yes i know its a small car, but thweres not much less room than a falcon... you put a baby seat in anything and it loses all of its size...
cant you all pull your heads out of your a**es for once... its like reading a schoolyard converstion... no this ones beter, your ones just crap because it just is...
i know you are you said you are...
wtf?
why cant people open their minds and actually admit there might be something better on offer out there?
what about themselves? do they think theyre the best there is to offer to the opposite sex? and dont want to hear it if theres something better out there?
come on seriously...
sorry, just had a long s**t day, and i dont need to caome home and read dribble like this...
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 10:53 PM   #59
Dilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackahcdx
Snip
I am going to post this one more time, and I will not waste my time with you , hopefully your simple mind can comprehend this:
"In no other market is this 3.5L engine sold and the drivetrain is VERY different to the Camry! The styling is developed separately as well. The clay modelling was done here in Australia by a mob called "TSA" "

It is not a "nosejob" if you consider that to only be a nose job, you know nothing about car design.

LOL HSV's are just riced up omega's then and commodores, statesmans and caprices are just nose jobs of one another (despite the fact of having different WB's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackahcdx
Can i go back to sleep now?
Yes, now let us motoring enthusiasts have a decent conversation about this car without you one eyed Holden fan.

Anyway, I'd like to see TRD/Prodrive bring out a S/C awd version!
Dilan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 11:38 PM   #60
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wish Toyota all the best with it. To be honest I think it is a lot of smoke and mirrors. After all it is just another V6 Camry. Sure they have got the 3.5 V6 in there, which has been rated as being a decent bloody engine. But like many others the car just doesn't tick enough of the right boxes, sure big power, but FWD, sorry no thanks, and it just looks OLD already, the VE has already outdated the looks of the Aurion IMO.

Not all bad for Toyota, they have a good marketing team who will try and convince the Australian public that like the outgoing Avalon, the Aurion is the second coming of Jesus. When in fact it's just a sheep in wolves clothing.

Time will tell though if I am wrong, and if I am well good on toyota.
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post