Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-07-2012, 01:16 PM   #31
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Default Re: Hyundai to become 3rd best selling brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
I hate the fact that I think the i40 wagon TDi is a beaut car :( Why cant we get the Mondeo wagon in TDI + manual!
Nah, pretty sure this one doesn't have rear fogs, so is 'bad weather fail':-)))

Or is it the i45 without? Meh........

Besides, Hyundai don't stock/supply warning triangles, unlike Ford!! They do offer nice rubber mats though. C'mon Aussie - get on board.

Have to admit something, back in 1987 my dopey old man bought one of the first Excel sedans, fantastic metallic grey paintwork (seriously), and an engine that could 'just' stretch a rubber band. 1.5litre.

We loaded it up with five adults and 'took-off' up_the_hill at our then Sydney Castlecove home. Twenty five hours later we made it to the top! Best laugh for ages, engine began to free-up a bit with time (naturally), and the old man had it up to 145km/h on the F3 at one point a year or so later, uphill!

Kept it a few years and beat the hell out of it in paddocks and moutains, got it to over 346,000 kays before retiring it.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #32
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
Taking a product out of one market makes them "fallible?" Could just be a smart business decision? It's more important to be profitable than to penetrate the market at all costs.

It wont stop them. I agree they have the potential to be the next Toyota. But I'm very surprised to see that they have backed out of that fight with Hino & Isuzu in the 4 to 15t GVM class.

Isuzu for one was very worried about their capabilites.

No doubt they will return.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #33
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've said before how when I was six or seven years old back around 1971, my old man brought home a brand new Mazda Capella sedan, and the neighbour who owned a brand new HQ "Vacationer" wagon laughed at first, but then did admit a few things that the Mazda had, like standard disc brakes, push button radio with two speakers, and other little things.
When my old man bought a new Mazda 929 wagon (purple!) in 1974, again the neighbour had bought another Vacationer, but he had to pay extra for things that the Mazda had standard...air con, four speaker am/fm cassette stereo, and full instruments.

Hyundai is the same...people laughed at the first Hyundais, but now they aren't laughing so hard. I also notice out here a lot of those i40 wagons and sedans with the little lease company stickers in the back window. These are deliberate choices by guys who can get just about any car they want on a lease plan. Only a few years ago the place was infested with SS Commodores and FPV Falcons...not so many now.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #34
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Samsung, LG, Kia, Hyundai - South Korea are absolutely killing it for consumer goods.

China will be next.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2012, 11:23 PM   #35
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized
Samsung, LG, Kia, Hyundai - South Korea are absolutely killing it for consumer goods.

China will be next.
The companies you quote are massive in Korea. They own shopping centres, theme parks, commercial estates etc. You can buy Samsung cars lol (re-badged Nissans / Renaults) and the locals are very devoted to their own brands. If you saw a Ford on the road more than once a day it was rare indeed.

The money that flows through Samsung will rival the economy of many, many countries.

Korea will do all they can to knock Japan off their pedestal. Looks like Hyundai may be able to offer that opportunity.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 01:09 AM   #36
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85
It's funny people in here bang on about how Hyundai don't make exciting cars etc. Have a look at their North American lineup. Genesis Coupe available with 2L turbo, 3.8L V6 or 5L V8, RWD 2 door coupes that weigh around 1500kgs. Go, stop and steer like cars quadruple their price. That's just the start... You have the Equus luxury line, the Sonata with hybrid and advanced diesel engines.

The Koreans have been on top of their game for years. Only just now they're starting to bring more of their lineup to Australia with the Veloster, i45, i40 Wagon, new i30 and soon to be released i40 sedan.
I could be the only person here who has learned to check their facts before rambling.

The Genesis coupe DOES NOT come with the 4.6L or 5L V8. the 342hp 3.8L V6 is the top engine in that car. And no wonder... it's nearly as powerful as our turbocharged inline 6. But just falls short in power, and a bit more in torque and torque@revs.

The Genesis Sedan comes with the 3.8L V6, 4.6L V8, and 5.0L V8. All come standard with an 8 speed transmission. The car can weigh between 1730kg, and 1850kg depending on powertrain, trim, and options.

However it's still not as economical as our Falcon in the 6 cylinder dept. Although that could be attributed to differing fuel economy tests. Both the Genesis, and Equus in my humble opinion are also ugly. Bearable at angles, but still ugly.

Hyundai are nothing short of a power house. And unlike our own FoA, they aren't becoming stagnate, and laying down to die. They just keep fighting with their products, and advertising. And good on 'em, hard work and effort should be repaid in kind. Just look at their marketing on the US website. OMG... The Koreans Are Marketing RWD!!!! - At least someone is. They're actually telling people why their car is better, why it uses this, why it uses that. Look out established market should these cars come down under.

To the OP. The Veloster is a funky little car. Just such a shame it had to be a Falcon to go in order to get it.
Old 13-07-2012, 01:40 AM   #37
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hope Hyundai makes a 3.8 GTDI (turbo) with around 380 kw / 700 Nm (seeing that their 2.0 GTDI makes 200 kw / 365 Nm)
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #38
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Main difference between USA and Australian market postion of Hyundai is that the company has manufacturing and design facilties based in the US which makes them local like say Toyota in Australia.
Also we dont get most of their more exciting product so market positioning is a bit lower here.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #39
RASER
Banned

Wink Re: Hyundai to become 3rd best selling brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf
.....great car....cheap price
No, and not any more.

Won't be able to compete with the Chinese as a bottom feeder, and if the Japanese ever wake up from some sort of slumber they are in, the Koreans will be crushed, destroyed, repelled and pushed all the way back to Pyongyang.

The question is what the hell are the Japanese brands doing? [F/A.Ed]

Korean brands....The End in Japan:

http://wot.motortrend.com/hyundai-le...ales-6756.html

Be like buying a brand new 10 year old Japanese car

Last edited by RASER; 13-07-2012 at 10:13 AM.
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 10:48 AM   #40
RASER
Banned

Smile Re: Hyundai to become 3rd best selling brand

[quote=tranquilized]Samsung, LG, Kia, Hyundai - South Korea are absolutely killing it for consumer goods.

U missed Daewoo, they are one of the origional Chaebols, did they ever catch up with Kim Woo the owner and the missing $22 billion?

China will be next

China is here, now!
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 02:48 PM   #41
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

I had a brand new I20 hire car down in Melbourne last year, I was surprised at all the Tech stuff in the interior! Very nice car, didn't like the engine/gearbox combo, but that might just be me.

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #42
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hyundaiforums.com.au

Jeez!
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #43
Oxa384
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino
hyundaiforums.com.au

Jeez!
link doesnt work its www.veloster.org

Oxa384 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 02:13 AM   #44
JG33

My missus drives a 2007 Elantra and is a great little car.
Only time we had a problem with a faulty part in the immobilizer system that was replaced under new car warranty, other than that, the car has never missed a beat.
I have no doubt Hyundai be No.1 in the near future.
JG33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 04:12 AM   #45
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASER
China is here, now!
Correct, India is next and possibly Brazil.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 06:35 AM   #46
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
Correct, India is next and possibly Brazil.
Please not brazil, hate them enough in football.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 07:51 AM   #47
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Seen a few adds for the new i40 sedan. Has a diesel that gets 12XXkm to the tank on the freeway...

"Economy that will get you to Melbourne on a single tank......... and halfway back!"
Yes, even the i30 turbo diesel has amazing economy.........
Old 15-07-2012, 09:58 AM   #48
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68
Main difference between USA and Australian market postion of Hyundai is that the company has manufacturing and design facilties based in the US which makes them local like say Toyota in Australia.
Also we dont get most of their more exciting product so market positioning is a bit lower here.
The US market is also more biased towards trucks and SUVs, something Hyundai neatly cuts out
in its goal to be third best retail car seller...that's like say best selling vehicle on a Tuesday...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #49
Oxa384
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
The US market is also more biased towards trucks and SUVs, something Hyundai neatly cuts out
in its goal to be third best retail car seller...that's like say best selling vehicle on a Tuesday...
not really.what it does say is that hyundai are winning the public sales and are not just sitting back and relying on fleet sales to boost their sales.i think its a great achievement not to be sneezed at.
Oxa384 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #50
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

One thing this company is GOOD at is warranty claims..
Compared to the locals .. No questions asked...
Just FIXED !!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post