Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 30-01-2006, 04:58 PM   #31
BABOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozza
man i baby my car
i drive it like its gonna die soon
althought when i get up it on the odd occaision i really get up it
with the shift kit i have to red line it lol
but when its getting to the redline it feels like its straining a bit
:nutsycuck
BABOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 06:16 PM   #32
EFIwindsor
Haltech 302w XW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
I would see 5500rpm 10times+ a day. and find mr rev limiter atleast once a day.

lol When i purchased my EA in 2000 (manual) it had 255000 kms in it... I drove it hard... flat shifted 5000rpm + 1-2 2-3 several times a day (i used to drive like a w@*kA) til i lost my licence and had a 6 car pile up(not my fault). (several yrs ago) and it never died. when i sold (to my sister) it it had 330000 on it and my sister drove it til it had near 400 000 kms on it.

Fords don't die very often

PS: I now drive like a granny cos it is so hard to get insurance.
Fuel/intake -XR6T injectors, 255 LPH intank pump, 4" intake, HaltechE11v2 Exhaust-custom Tri-Y headers, Twin 2.5" HiFlo Cats, duel 2.5" exh Driveline-close ratio 4spd, 9" LSD, 300mm AU XR8 fr, XC rear, ZH Fairlane Mas/Cyl & Booster

Project car: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=21641
EFIwindsor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 06:45 PM   #33
MADED-6
MADED.6

yeah i wouldnt worry mate just try not to give it to much when she is clod and it will be fine. i take mine to 5000-5500 pretty much everyday and she still runs like a dream but yeah dont thrash when cold that can cause problems.
MADED-6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 07:04 PM   #34
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

thrash the motor, clear the junk out of it (at least thats what i keep dillueding myself with).

On a more serious note, i think a good rev under load quite regularily should create more even wear and besides and be better than cradaling all its life. And besides i think the gearbox/clutch and suspension will die long before you can truly kill the I6.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 07:09 PM   #35
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

i agree with fairlane, its good to give it a workout every once and a while. and as the book says anything under 4000 is optimal for the engine. im happy with shifting between 3200- 4200.

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 07:50 PM   #36
PULLY6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rollin's is a testament to the strength of the I6...

but how many BTR's/T5's and BW diff's have you blown?? :P
Old 30-01-2006, 07:52 PM   #37
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
And how the hell do you know what that feels like?
Its what I'd presume having a big vibrator under your ИИИИ would feel like.

Just expanding upon the subject, my compression readings are all nominal (something like 1100 kpa just before I had my head gasket done), it doesn't eat oil, doesn't blow smoke, doesn't eat coolant (hasn't for a while so head job seems to have been ok) and the auto generally behaves itself (needs a service soon).

Maybe I'm being a bit sensitive towards vibration but its not so bad that the car feels like its going to fall apart, it just doesn't feel good for the engine or sound good. I am known to pick up faults in cars that most people wouldn't so perhaps I'm just a bit anal about things.

Thing is, my Falcon doesn't seem to have any guts until it hits about 2500, anything below that is very sluggish, but then it seems to run out of steam at around 4000. Who knows, the only problem I have with it is the ИИИИty idle, now THAT is bad, the mirrors vibrate when idling (d, n or p, doesn't matter).

Oh and I was just thinking, maybe I should get an oil analysis done and perhaps that'd provide some insight into just how much life my engine does or does not have left?
Old 30-01-2006, 09:00 PM   #38
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

A burnout should fix it. A nice, big one111.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 09:44 PM   #39
Clarke AV
OzECruisers Treasurer

I think this thread is disgusting. What portrait of the club are we trying to present on the worldwide web with comments like constantly hitting the red line of your cars and thrashing them. Most people's club cars are their pride and joy. Come on guys, just remember how many people will read them, who don't post here. Don't mean to put a damper on things, but I find it disturbing from a member of this club.
Clarke AV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 09:47 PM   #40
EFFalcon
Last warning

who here has taken their car down the 400m or had it on a dyno?
enough said.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 09:53 PM   #41
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Lets see some of you guys at the dyno day this saturday!

Become an E-Series Owners Club Member Today!
http://eseries.com.au/index.php/membership/
snypereb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 09:53 PM   #42
XRated
Shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
who here has taken their car down the 400m or had it on a dyno?
enough said.
Exactly. They have a limiter in place for a reason.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 09:54 PM   #43
The Goodz
E-Series Firemaker

Mine's gone between 6500 and 7000rpm a number of times, and often sees 6000, and she hasn't complained yet!

Alex
The Goodz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 09:56 PM   #44
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Just because a car is your pride and joy doesn't mean you can't have some fun in it. It's not like we're bouncing the engines off the limiters in first gear down the freeway.

Well, I'm not.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 09:58 PM   #45
Clarke AV
OzECruisers Treasurer

Doing it on the dyno or a dragstrip is one thing, but with comments of "I do this 10 times a day", it seems to me they drive like that on a public road - if you get where I'm coming from. We have to keep a good image of the club in public places.
Clarke AV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 09:58 PM   #46
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

A well maintained EFI 6 will take an absolute caning.

My EF 6 has been spinning to 5000 + rpm for its entire life. Ive had it since new and only ever spent money on mods, never repairs. (One head gasket, and one clutch in 11 years !!!) When I'm driving sedately i still spin it to 3500 - 4000 rpm every gear change up to the limit.
The car has done 190000 ks and doesnt even have the usual lifter tick at start up.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 09:59 PM   #47
Damo
Banned

lol mine sat at 5500 for a while at heathcote on saturday, damn tyres wouldn't make any smoke.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 10:03 PM   #48
ON_DUBS
[ON DUBS]

id have to agree that 3500-4000 rpm is pretty normal.

motor is pretty much the same between ED and EF right?
driving in POWER mode my ED auto shifts up on 4000rpm
Old 30-01-2006, 10:07 PM   #49
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke AV
Doing it on the dyno or a dragstrip is one thing, but with comments of "I do this 10 times a day", it seems to me they drive like that on a public road - if you get where I'm coming from. We have to keep a good image of the club in public places.
all it takes is planting your foot to the speed limit, you've just hit red line twice.
you can also hit red line without 'hooning'
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 10:07 PM   #50
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Quote:
I think this thread is disgusting. What portrait of the club are we trying to present on the worldwide web with comments like constantly hitting the red line of your cars and thrashing them. Most people's club cars are their pride and joy. Come on guys, just remember how many people will read them, who don't post here. Don't mean to put a damper on things, but I find it disturbing from a member of this club.
I'm not trying to be rude but I think you need to remember that just because someone is revving their car hard doesn't necessarily mean they are doing anything illegal or unsafe...

For instance entering a highway with a very short ramp... would you rather they went up the ramp at 1500 RPM and accelerating slower than a semi and try to merge doing 60 km/h in a 100 km/h zone or would you want them meeting the speed of traffic before entering?

I hate it when the car in front of me decides that accelerating beyond the speed of a tractor is more dangerous than entering the flow of traffic 40 km/h under the limit or worse, slower! That means that I also have to merge well below the limit and risk being rammed from behind and killed because the guy in front refuses to meet the speed of the traffic.
Old 30-01-2006, 10:11 PM   #51
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo
lol mine sat at 5500 for a while at heathcote on saturday, damn tyres wouldn't make any smoke.
He, he , he, if you'd been driving something GMH, I'd have to ask..... you sure the tires were turning ????

(maybe it was actually due to the fact you were in top gear at 5500 and the tires got so hot they burnt off all the smoke, more likely given that it was a Ford !)

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 10:18 PM   #52
Jokers Wild
ANYWHERE ANYTIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
Just how much flogging can a properly maintained EL Falcon 6 take? I ask because I find myself 'thrashing' the crap out of my car to make it move most days,

I've had it for about 14-15 months now and it doesn't show any signs of dying on me but I do wonder just how much flogging can a Falcon 6 take before it packs its bags and goes to the caryard in the sky!
I think there is a big differance between floggin / thrashin a car to death and driving it hard.

a well maintained and set up car can be driven hard and go the yards, but flogging a car without understanding or having a feel for the motor or driveline etc will see it in the car yard in the sky without doubt.
Jokers Wild is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2006, 12:31 AM   #53
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

i would say heaps except for the headgaskets liking to part ways after 150k, ohh yea and my auto didnt take to well to my abuse but as for engine.... np and ask ROLLIN how my coast runs usualy are, 6k limiter every 1-2nd and if their is commos around 2-3rd :P hehe

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2006, 01:35 AM   #54
frost
Banned

for 100,000KM I have flogged the ИИИИ out of my car, only done one clutch, one statermotor, and 2 diffs, (into my 3rd now) I service it every 10,000 and run it on petrol on friday nights if I do some laps in ballarat

its only just started to blow a bit of smoke if on petrol and i rev hard on a cold morning
frost is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2006, 02:09 AM   #55
ned
Once shy... twice bitten

I regularly hit redline, had it off the limiter many times and done constant burnouts in it. In that time I've done a diff and an auto, and just recently it started blowing smoke (stem seals) and I decided to purchase an AU motor and fit that in instead. So yes, they take monster beatings.
Old 31-01-2006, 10:47 PM   #56
ON_DUBS
[ON DUBS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
I hate it when the car in front of me decides that accelerating beyond the speed of a tractor is more dangerous than entering the flow of traffic 40 km/h under the limit or worse, slower! That means that I also have to merge well below the limit and risk being rammed from behind and killed because the guy in front refuses to meet the speed of the traffic.
:hihi: DEFINATELY
Old 31-01-2006, 11:23 PM   #57
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

Quote:
Always gotta be a cynic doesnt there...

Anyhow, i thrash my car and im proud of it.. Thats why i bought a falcon(my fifth one anyway)..

My missus drove my car 45km without any water in a cracked radiator, and guess what, the compression was perfect, doesnt use any oil or water, nor blow any smoke...

Since then, ive dropped it back to 1st at around 70km/h many times(auto with 3.08), redlined and rev limited it countless times, burnouts, and what not.. still going strong with 6psi and stock comp...
- XB Coupe Project
BOOSTDEF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2006, 11:40 PM   #58
Fairmont I6
sideways

Id have mine at 5000rpm a couple of times a day, and occaisionally hit the limiter, something like 5300 i think.? only problems ive had are power windows and air con so cant really see a relationship there. I reckon as long as you service your car reguarly and let it warm up first theres nothing wrong with a bit of a thrash
Old 01-02-2006, 12:44 AM   #59
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

whats wrong with being an enthusiast like myself, who loves a nice easy going drive, in a good looking car, rather than thrashing it, wasting gallons more petrol in the process, and putting undue strain on the engine and driveline, when there is no need for it.

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 12:47 AM   #60
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin
Clarke - have a teary mate! with 3.9 diff gears first gear only goes to about 40, so i can go flat chat through first and second before i even get to 80k an hour. just because we give our cars curry doesnt mean its through school zones or heavy traffic!

also, as others have said, its much easier to merge with a few revs on board, its easier to place your car beside a space in the traffic.

what disgusts me is that everyone is so slow and pathetic at driving!!! if everyone paid attention to the lights and took off a little quicker, more people would get through, and there would be better traffic flow.

my car is my pride and joy mate, specifically because its a damn good car! never busted the gearbox, never blown a head gasket, never broken a diff or axle, and its specifically my pride and joy because it has done everything i have asked of it, and done it easily.

people that do up their cars and dont drive them the way they should give me the $h!ts - like show cars and the like - i can respect the awesome workmanship that goes into them, but WTF is the point of it? cars are supposed to be driven!

modified cars are supposed to be driven hard, taken to racetracks, lined up against others to see just who has brought the bigger stick...

people, drive your cars hard and be proud you do!!!
Well Bloody Said!!
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post