Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-01-2008, 08:19 PM   #31
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how the # do you lose concentration coming to a school zone?

you know its a 40k zone or school zone so if anything your more alert than anything, your stuffed if you hit a child, let alone kill one in a car....

i cant believe how down right stupid some people can be, and why wouldnt you know what time it is before you get to the school zone??? its not like the school moves every ten minutes, its always there!!!!

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2008, 09:03 PM   #32
Kil4Collingwood

I'm at work all day so miss the school zone hours :
Kil4Collingwood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2008, 09:24 PM   #33
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_r_d
Just something that I think about... I think the time controlled 40km school zones potentially are more dangerous... why you ask cos of the following

-Who loses concentration when they are approaching school zones to check the time? The 8.30 time slot is easy to judge, but the 2.30-4.00??? I mean come on!!!

-Who takes there eyes off the road to check an in car clock, or yet worse- their mobile???

-Who asks their passengers if its "school holidays"?

For those of us who dont have children I find this hard!

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this........
How many kay's are there in a school zone? most of the time less then 1. If you are unsure of the time, just slow the fudge down and loose 2 seconds of your travel time.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2008, 09:36 PM   #34
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau
How many kay's are there in a school zone? most of the time less then 1. If you are unsure of the time, just slow the fudge down and loose 2 seconds of your travel time.
Its not rocket science is it...

Old 26-01-2008, 11:59 PM   #35
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Ah, you have to love the poster with 'attitude'

I never actually noticed a complaint in Pedro's post
Well its a stretch to say it was an observation given the context of the issue raised. Im sure you wont be the only the one to miss it, you know with looking at a clock or speedo being a difficult task to begin with.

How do you people manage a headcheck when changing lanes?

Quote:
So can we assume that every time you approach a school you look to see what time it is?
If Im not aware of the time before I get there or Im in an area Ive never driven before, yes you can. It doesnt take more than a second, and my foot is already slightly on the brake pedal at that time anyway as I slow to 40 by the time I get to the sign, not after I pass it. If its early or after the times, then its no drama to go back to 60 from 55.

*Waits for tailgaters to rant about how running up my clacker is likely as a result.
Quote:
You might do a little better if it was constructive critism instead of straight out abuse.
The post was toned for the audience. There are many posts that do provide constructive criticism, the same nonsensical responses still keep coming...

Its too hard ...
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2008, 09:09 AM   #36
LTDHO
The one and only

School zones are a great idea.

It allows our kids to grow up without any responsibility, careless and assuming everyone will protect them. Also the are invincible from being hit by cars when crossing the road in 60 and 80 zones. [/sarcasm]

I went to school for 13 years, our primary school had two 'play areas' both of which were across the (sepparate) road. This was in the day of 60 zones and no one child ever got hit in 13 years. Why? We were taught to look first, not just step out.

Now days I had having to 'giveway' to people as I drive down the road, it's almost like the footpath is the entire road!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2008, 10:39 AM   #37
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There a permanent 40k zones on some school areas here in Vict, we have flashing signs at some, just signs with time limits on others.. IMHO they should all be uniform.
Old 29-01-2008, 10:48 AM   #38
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem is not that we have these 40k zones, the problem is that they are so inconsistent. Some start at 4:00 some at 4:30, some are hidden by trees/shrubs, some schools have holidays at different days to others.
Surely if these speed limits were really meant to protect the kids they would at the very least be consistent across the state, if not the country, and the signs would be clearly visible.
Surely after all the revenue raised so far they would have flashing lights whenever the speed limits were in force. They do that in the US and it works great. However it works so great in the US that there is negligible revenue raised, hmmm maybe that is the problem here. Introducing some consistency and visual warnings would dramatically reduce a revenue stream. Not that I am cynical about this, but ..
gz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2008, 03:32 PM   #39
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ah, come on, it is only the stupid kids that will get hit - and that tidies up the gene pool a little

.... but seriously folks:
The Schools should have the responsibility to turn them on and off, and it should be visible on the sign (one I pass has flashing lights).

The Zone should then only be on when the school turns it on, and it should auto off if the school forgets (maybe with some penalty for the school)
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2008, 04:58 PM   #40
gozza

Heres a trick - Teach your Moronic Offspring to look both ways - Listen and Look Again

Im always aware of stupid kids at school zones every time of the day - Im not complaining about the speed restrictions - But both sides meeting in the middle might work better than idiots relying on the other to do the right thing
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2008, 05:06 PM   #41
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im all for teaching kids to have road smarts, and taking responsibility... but lets be honest here.. how many parents here can honestly say their Son/Daughter hasn't lapsed in concentration at least once between the age of 6 and 16.... do it out the front of a school and the results could be life altering.
I see it all the time, mobs of teen aged kids swarming across the road like lemmings to a cliff.. its the stragglers that loose their vision of the oncoming traffic or make a panic dash at the last minute to keep up with their mates and run out of room on the median strip, or just plain forget to look because they're talking and just following...
Kids have much less peripheral vision than adults, much shorter attention spans and sometimes they just plain forget.

Old 29-01-2008, 05:43 PM   #42
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_r_d
Just something that I think about... I think the time controlled 40km school zones potentially are more dangerous... why you ask cos of the following

-Who loses concentration when they are approaching school zones to check the time? The 8.30 time slot is easy to judge, but the 2.30-4.00??? I mean come on!!!

-Who takes there eyes off the road to check an in car clock, or yet worse- their mobile???

-Who asks their passengers if its "school holidays"?

For those of us who dont have children I find this hard!

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this........

I always slow down! Mmmmmm Yummy Mummy's!
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2008, 05:53 PM   #43
andrewts
White Car Driver

It's not just kids though, you would be surprised how many families bring their pet dog to school to greet the kids when they come out, and I've seen it all to often, the dog chases after a ball that a kid drops onto the road. Also, the fact that there are so many people in a single area at any time would indicate that you should pay due caution. YES it's the kids fault if they run out and get hit, and YES we can blame the parents for not watching the kids etc etc etc, but the fact is it's a bloody road with lots of young children on it, slow the hell down!

I will admit that I don't agree with the school zone on Pennant Hills Road down near Kings School, that goes for at least 1.5km and chokes up a very busy road as it is...
andrewts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2008, 08:36 PM   #44
theunfairadvant

I lost count of the number of times i see cars fly pass me doing
80km/h to 100km/h in a 40km/h school zones, those drivers need
to be shot in the head.
theunfairadvant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2008, 10:10 PM   #45
prydey
Rob

i don't know if it applies to all school zones but many here in s.a. don't have time zones. the law is you have to do 25kph when children are present.

at the end of the day its not that hard to back off and use caution around schools. surely no one can be that busy they can't spare the extra 30 seconds travel time.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2008, 11:06 PM   #46
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Personally I don't mind school zones. Its not that inconvenient for me to slow down for a km or 2.

I would like to see kids being taught how to cross a road properly though. Teach them to look left, look right, look left then cross.

I'm also particularly annoyed at parents who take their kids across the street a few meters away from a designated pedestrian crossing. Those zebra markings are painted for a reason. Teach the kids to use them because if you're like me, you pay extra attention at zebra crossings BECAUSE THATS WHERE YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO CROSS!!!!

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2008, 11:36 PM   #47
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the first priority is the safety of children at school times, then there should be something that goes beyond the stock standard sign with the times on it.

Such as:
Permanent 40k zones
Manually operated variable speed limits (someone uncovers it at 2:30 and covers it back up at 4:00, which do/did exist in some places)
Automated variable speed limits (the black signs with LED's)
Flashing lights

Before people come out and say "how hard is it to look at a clock", "how hard is it to slow down if your unsure", "you should slow down anyway around schools" of course in the perfect world yeah sure.

But you will get those drivers who simply stuff up, for whatever reason do not see the sign or whatever, and would pose a real danger, if the unlikely but still possible senario occurs of a kid chasing a ball onto the street.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2008, 11:42 PM   #48
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
at the end of the day its not that hard to back off and use caution around schools. surely no one can be that busy they can't spare the extra 30 seconds travel time.
They think theyre Jack Bower off to save the free world.
Old 30-01-2008, 09:42 AM   #49
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozza
Heres a trick - Teach your Moronic Offspring to look both ways - Listen and Look Again

Im always aware of stupid kids at school zones every time of the day - Im not complaining about the speed restrictions - But both sides meeting in the middle might work better than idiots relying on the other to do the right thing
And how many kids do you have? I reckon I could guess, but I want you to say it.
Old 30-01-2008, 11:30 AM   #50
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

don't you fellas have lollipop ladies? they are the ones who take their life into their own hands as they step in front of the traffic to stop folks who are stupid enough not to realize it's start/end of school time.
40 is too fast anyway, it should be walking speed.
just an observation but i believe the worst offenders are the mothers just after they've picked up their offspring.
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 11:38 AM   #51
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Children Crossing Supervisors they are called here in Vict, and yes we have them.
Old 30-01-2008, 11:41 AM   #52
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Back many years ago i witnessed a friend of mine who was hit by a car.We were in primary school walking home at the time of the incident, luckily for my fast thinking i saved his life.If they had a lower speed limit the accident might of not happend.School speed limits should be a min of 30 kays and even less.I would also think they should be enforced all day aswell, i see school kids jumping fences chasing balls down the road during lunch time breaks fairly often.

Alex.
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 11:54 AM   #53
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Damn fine points Hemi Power.

I work as a driver trainer, and as such have been to exposed to information and training about how children behave in, and percieve traffic situations.

Children think very differently to adults about cars

Their vision doesn't allow for speed/depth perception until much older, even some 16 yo's on L's struggle with this as well, hence they pull out / walk in front of vehicles.

Cars don't move as they/we move, when we walk our limbs move, which to a child gives a perception of movement, on cars however, there is no 'limb' movement, so the child sees the car as stationay.

All these so called experts on here make me laugh with all their 'knowledge'.

I have been hanging back on saying anything, because every time I do I get shot down, but anyway, I have done it now.
Old 30-01-2008, 02:34 PM   #54
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I find it interesting that a lot of the people that speed well in excess of the 40 k speed limit are usually people turning into the school to drop people off.

Personally I think cars and kids should be kept seperate, a kid is still in a lot of trouble if they get hit at 40k's

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 03:44 PM   #55
LTDHO
The one and only

might as well wrap kids in pillows...
ban car from within 10 klms od schools, parks and houses.

Come on people, be realistic.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 03:47 PM   #56
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i hope one day in the future people look after their own kids instead on expecting society to bend to their will
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 04:37 PM   #57
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO

Obviously a caring parent yourself then?
Old 30-01-2008, 05:26 PM   #58
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think anyone can truely appreciate how vulnerable and easily distracted young kids are till you're a parent or work with them.....
This is one area i believe they can't do too much with the road rules to ensure their safety.

Old 30-01-2008, 06:37 PM   #59
Zephyr
Old rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
i hope one day in the future people look after their own kids instead on expecting society to bend to their will
I agree, kids are bought up now a days with no responisibility.

I had kids who were bought up and learned that cars hurt and kill. The leason is simple, 'look both ways'. if kids do not learn from a young age they will never learn. Which is a shame that we are now bringing up brainless children.

It's bad enough there are kids like 'Corey' who don't respect his parents or care for anyone, todays kids will be worse.

Teach, learn and discipline. This has worked before!
Zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 06:38 PM   #60
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-0733
just an observation but i believe the worst offenders are the mothers just after they've picked up their offspring.
This is a sad truth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO

We are, thats why its 40, not 5 km/h and cars arent made to avoid the area. Its realistic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I don't think anyone can truely appreciate how vulnerable and easily distracted young kids are till you're a parent or work with them.....
This is one area i believe they can't do too much with the road rules to ensure their safety.
I am a parent, but I also remember being a kid, you dont have to be a parent to remember your own childhood.

Last edited by fmc351; 30-01-2008 at 06:46 PM.