Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-11-2015, 01:01 AM   #31
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 
Default Re: So I bought a Jeep......

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK30RB View Post
I've ordered a new 2016 Landcruiser Sahara instead.
Good choice. If anyone is in the market for this type of SUV, the 2016 LC200 hands down beats the rest, apart from the price that is.
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2015, 04:04 AM   #32
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another happy diesel JGC Lar do owner here. Had it 10 months and around 17,000ks so far. Just like my last new Falcons, I've taken it back with a couple of warranty issues, one being the reverse camera active gridlines which aren't standard on the Laredo, but they added the necessary wiring loom at no cost (half day job)

Needed a software upgrade to fix DAB radio dropouts, wheel alignment and has a 'bump' in the driveline in slow speed stop/go traffic, waiting on a verdict on that.

First thing that struck me when I test drove one was th exceptionally smooth ride, still like that smoothness to this day. The turbo diesel is a real pearler, I'm getting between 8.0 - 8.9/100 in mixed driving, including peak traffic. Stick your foot down and the thing hoists its skirt an takes off, ZF 8 speeder is a sweet changing trans too.

I know 3 other JGC owners, WK Overlander with the 5spd/diesel, has around 90 odd thousand Ks with no issues (he was a long time Lancruiser buyer) and will re Ace it with another JGC in 12 months. Next is a 3 odd year old SRT, loves the thing exception for the fuel consumption, no issues (likes cars and has a G6ET), last is a 2014 SRT, against n, no issues and love the thing, (long time car bloke, has a Clubsport and a Territory currently too).

Main current Jeep issues are niggling issues fixed under warranty but the biggest has been Jeep Australia's poor support, dealers next to useless and outrageous servicing costs.

A few thighs have changed at FCA this year, they got rid of the previous chief who was ripped FCA off millions of bucks and put someone in place to turn support around, this is flowing on to the dealers and the have introduced capped servicing - still too expensive though.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2015, 02:26 PM   #33
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Of coarse he noticed that the panels didnt line up on delivery (couldnt miss it), but it was a friday and was promised the car so took it home and had it booked in for panel realignment a few weeks later. And HE didnt complain that the bolts were marked, i just made the comment. he doesnt care as it will be traded in a couple years anyway. Just stating issues he had. If I was looking at it on the second hand market and saw all of the bolts marked i would proceed with caution.. And no need for your smart arrss comments here. I did also praise it as it will blow many street cars off the road with its hemi! Just a shame that (like ford) their quality and after sales service isnt up to scratch with so many complaints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpacman View Post
So let me make sure I've got this right. He bought it brand new but didn't notice that none of the panels lined up? I would have thought that issue would have been apparent when he looked it over before handing over the cheque.

So then he jumped up and down about the non alignment and they took it away to try and make it right. Did he not realise that panels are secured to bodies by way of bolts - that you generally need to undo and then re-tighten with a spanner in order to adjust things?

Perhaps he thought they were going to wave a magic wand.

He's a hard task master your brother-in-law.

Last edited by bangm001; 21-11-2015 at 02:43 PM.
bangm001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2015, 12:27 AM   #34
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

We have one in our driveway. It a company car from my wife's work. She wanted another Territory but her work refuses to buy Fords. A 100+ fleet. But that's a whole different story. So they said if you'd like a Territory we will get you a Jeep.

So back in March we got a 2105 Grand Cherokee Loredo 4x4 v6 Petrol. If it was our car we would have ordered a Deisel, but it's there choice and their fuel card. We Added in Reverse camera and front and rear parking sensors. We figured the real turn offs, fuel consumption, service costs, and resale are all not out problem.

What a surprise it's turned out to be. It is smooth quiet, good on fuel, it gets 12/100 in the city and 8/100 country. So not stunningly good, but better than many six cylinder sedans. And considering it's a 2.3t block of flats it's a good result. It's very well equipped has most mod cons except satellite navigation, the seat heaters are a big hit. And the quality of the std stereo is quite good. The xenon headlights are fantastic.

The Pentastar V6 with 8 speed auto is a great pairing and I'm sure the cars performance and fuel economy is due to the ZF 8 speed.

There's a couple of things I don't like, the joystick type gear selector, and flappy paddles, useless withe 8 speed, then there's the stupid foot operated park brake, and the "slow" steering. It light and easy and my wife has no idea what I'm talking about when I talk about it. I'm told that the slow rack is an advantage in proper off road work. However I still prefer the more direct steering in a Territory.

We've done 38,000 km in it and will be over 40, maybe 42 before Christmas. So far we have had zero issues. Not a rattle or drop of oil. It's been a good car. I'd even consider buying it when it comes off lease if the price was right.

The cook loves it. And while she loved her Terry I think given the choice now she'd have a Jeep over the Territory.

I have 5 friends who are Jeep owners, all have current shape Grand Cherokees. 1xV6 petrol, 1xV8, 3xDeisel. All have been good except for one of the deisels has shut down a couple of times as its a typical mums car and does mostly short runs home school etc, and never got hot so the DPF got blocked. A petrol one would be better in that work. They also have a 26' caravan. Which it rows with ease.

I think that Jeeps to the great unwashed are all one car whereas the Cherokee, Patriot, Compass are all different models. And the compass and patriot are very ordinary cars.

So yep. We got a Jeep and it's a good car, well so far.
Old 22-11-2015, 01:41 AM   #35
Warrenk

I know a couple people who bought the JGC Overland. They both love their Jeeps and believe them to be the best vehicle they have ever owned. The reason they bought theirs was that they compared other vehicle against my JGC Overland (for the vehicle they needed)and nothing came close.
The V6 diesel plus 8speed ZF are the perfect match. Highway driving the best I have had is 6.5 ltrs/100K doing the speed limit(100 - 110Kph). Not bad for a 2.3 t vehicle. Around town the fuel usage is about 8.3 ltrs/100K and towing my 2.8t caravan it gets just over 15 ltrs/100K .
No major problems.

I am member of Jeep Garage Forum which is worldwide and there are not a lot of bad reports about the JGC considering they sold 280,000 of this model worldwide in 2014.

Warren
Old 22-11-2015, 10:05 AM   #36
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This might show how capable the 3.0 diesel in the Jeep is. I made the video, this Ram 1500 has the same engine and ZF tranny. Trailer weight is about 3200 Kg. A run up a hill at about 80km/h on the first run, almost 100 on the second. We averaged about 14-16mpg (15-17l/100km). That was while we were testing the performance on the back roads, not babying it on the highway. Sorry it's not scripted or heavily edited. Just filmed, edited and narrated on my phone. http://youtu.be/ZgwU_6AV_I4
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2015, 11:10 AM   #37
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If only they had a 7 seater version of the GC!
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2015, 11:24 AM   #38
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
If only they had a 7 seater version of the GC!
It's coming, it will be called the Grand Wagoneer. It will have a longer wheelbase to go with it.
Old 22-11-2015, 01:33 PM   #39
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Report in my local paper,,person bought a Cherokee Trailhawke and auto trans failed after 2 weeks,,,,,
https://www.recalls.gov.au/content/i.../itemId/952865
Old 22-11-2015, 02:16 PM   #40
Warrenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Report in my local paper,,person bought a Cherokee Trailhawke and auto trans failed after 2 weeks,,,,,
Heaven forbid a new car with a gearbox issue. A bit like the issues ford
1. when they first put the 4 speed autos in the falcon,
2.the 5 speed autos in the FG and Courier(same gearbox different programs)
3.the problems with the Ford version of the ZF made in China in the Rangers(same gearbox in the FGX, different program)

Warren
Old 22-11-2015, 02:49 PM   #41
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Jeep seems to have copped some loonies lately but every brand gets them. Remember the guy who called the media and camped outside a Ford dealer until they replaced his XR8 ute? Then he claimed the replacement ute was a lemon too. Jeep owners seem to get more creative with music videos and excavators but they're the same breed of attention seeker at the end of the day.
Agree with the above 100%... And that crazy who used an excavator.. I have heard from a very reliable source that apparently there is a lot more to his story that he chose's to "Omit" to the media/facebook followers.. Don't ask me what, just saying what I was told...

My wife actually came home earlier this week and now says she has changed her mind and wants a Grand Cherokee in "that nice red they come in"... After seeing a few of the posts on here Im now not as much against it as I was at first...lol Just wish she wouldn't bloody change her mind so much!!! So looks like now im going to be visiting a jeep dealership with her... All I know is that I would want her in the diesel and she doesn't like leather so Laredo looks like the goer...

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2015, 03:11 PM   #42
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 4wd range is very good value. The base Laredo has xenons, keyless start, the UConnect plus dual range transmission and terrain select system. Plus the brilliant V6 diesel and 8 speed ZF. You can get them close to 50 kilodollars
Old 22-11-2015, 05:00 PM   #43
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The lack of reliability with Jeeps is grossly exaggerated. Yes there have been some duds, but no more really than a comoany aka Ford. As a mechanic I service 5 of them at work (not a jeep dealer) and all have been trouble free and owners are very happy with. Ive had a Chrysler SRT8 since new 25, 000kms and am very happy with it.
chookaradley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2015, 10:00 AM   #44
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by monk3y View Post
When we are out on the road, the kids take great delight in spotting other Jeeps after a few minutes, it sounds like some baby birds at a worm festival in the back - "Jeep..... Jeep..... Jeep... Jeep.. Jeep.Jeep.Jeep.Jeep"
my kids do the same thing! there's heaps of them
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-11-2015, 11:04 PM   #45
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks View Post

So back in March we got a 2105 Grand Cherokee Loredo 4x4 v6 Petrol....has most mod cons except satellite navigation

I reckon I read that all UConnects have sat Nav functionality and it just needs a code input - probably by the dealer. Maybe it's only the US.

Last edited by Brazen; 23-11-2015 at 11:19 PM.
Old 23-11-2015, 11:47 PM   #46
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Hate to say it,but jeeps are cool.

Never had so many blokes want to ask me about a new car at a the servo (used to it with the old bangers),the mums were even worse when the missus drove it, all over it.
I don't have my gc anymore because unfortunately cool didn't come with reasonable priced servicing.
Old 24-11-2015, 04:44 PM   #47
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a JK Wrangler, 2.8 CRD. Couldn't be happier.
On road its probably the least comfortable of the modern Jeeps, but off road they are a weapon, even in stock form.

I know a few Jeep owners, all are very happy. The people least satisfied with Jeeps reliability are those who don't own one, and who base their decision off a video clip some nutjob makes. Funny video by the way, but anyone who judges a Jeep purely by the video is stupid.

Jeep sold over a million vehicles last year - only one guy made a song.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2015, 09:08 PM   #48
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
Only one guy made a song, but there are a hell of a lot of other horror stories and disillusioned owners that are hard to ignore.
True, just like many other brands, including Ford...
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2015, 09:10 PM   #49
Warrenk

"Ignorance is Liberating
You're not restricted by facts or knowledge.
You're a Free Person and, as such, able to form your own conclusions."

I think the above phrase is pretty accurate description of people with their anti Jeep comments.

Last edited by Warrenk; 24-11-2015 at 09:17 PM.
Warrenk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2015, 10:15 PM   #50
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenk View Post
"Ignorance is Liberating
You're not restricted by facts or knowledge.
You're a Free Person and, as such, able to form your own conclusions."

I think the above phrase is pretty accurate description of people with their anti Jeep comments.
In your opinion
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2015, 12:09 AM   #51
Warrenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman1 View Post
In your opinion
You were quick. I was changing my response because, although I think you are bit opinionated about Jeeps I didn't want tit for tat response.

Last edited by Warrenk; 25-11-2015 at 12:24 AM.
Warrenk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2015, 12:16 AM   #52
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenk View Post
As I was posting that phrase I thought of you.
It's your democratic right to be delusional, as long as it isn't catching...
Old 25-11-2015, 12:18 AM   #53
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Imo Jeep sets a prime example of how to successfully sell a dodgy poor quality product to the masses by sucking them in and brainwashing them with slick advertising campaigns.
If Ford's marketing department had even a fraction of the skill they'd be dangerous.
Their marketing has few peers except maybe Krap & Nasty and Snap-Off
Old 25-11-2015, 07:44 AM   #54
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Imo Jeep sets a prime example of how to successfully sell a dodgy poor quality product to the masses by sucking them in and brainwashing them with slick advertising campaigns.
If Ford's marketing department had even a fraction of the skill they'd be dangerous.
Good thing Ford hasn't ever had any reliability issues. You never hear anyone bashing the stereotypically unreliable Ford!
Old 25-11-2015, 07:52 AM   #55
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Only one guy made a song, but there are a hell of a lot of other horror stories and disillusioned owners that are hard to ignore.
Maybe so, but no owners in this thread so far with 'horror stories'. The Jeep forum I frequent isn't filled with them either. No more than this forum is with stories of transmission/coolant cross contaminations or ball joint failures, causing wheels to collapse on highways.
Old 25-11-2015, 09:18 AM   #56
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman1 View Post
It's your democratic right to be delusional, as long as it isn't catching...
As is yours...
Old 25-11-2015, 10:53 AM   #57
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You will find that forums only attract a relatively small number of enthusiasts and are therefore only a tiny representation of the owners out there.
If you want to see Jeep problems just do a google search, the results are endless. Sure, every manufacturer has its faults, but none stand out like Jeep in both sheer number and severity.
That's true, but forums normally attract complaints, and are visited by those non enthusiasts to vent.
for instance there one on here at the moment that's been harping on for a couple of years how his car axle tramps when he does a skid.

Opinion's without evidence to support are just as bad
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2015, 01:03 PM   #58
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4 View Post
As is yours...
I have empirical data and service experience to back my hypothesis. You have..........
Old 25-11-2015, 01:10 PM   #59
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BALDY View Post
With all the advertising for Jeep do I don't see a lot on the road!! ( East subs Melb)
Well "theres only one Jeep", so your chances are unlikely
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2015, 01:27 PM   #60
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You will find that forums only attract a relatively small number of enthusiasts and are therefore only a tiny representation of the owners out there.
If you want to see Jeep problems just do a google search, the results are endless. Sure, every manufacturer has its faults, but none stand out like Jeep in both sheer number and severity.
Comparing one model alone, the Grand Cherokee which the Lemon song was based on (not Jeeps biggest seller), sold in the region of 40-50x more than the Falcon. You SHOULD see more google results.

But I'm curious, why so much interest in Jeeps reliability and a Tuscons ancap rating? You've obviously made up your mind on not selling your AU to buy one. Or are you just the type who writes complaint letters to the local newspaper about 'hoons' and calls the police on young children you see walking on your lawn?
3 users like this post: