Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

View Poll Results: would you swap your AU 1,2,3 series XR for a BA xr ?
yes 39 50.65%
no 33 42.86%
Undecided 5 6.49%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 01:05 PM   #31
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
Hmm,

Considering ive had a brand new AUIII XR6 VCT and the BA XR6 NA I would never go back to an AU. I liked my AU when i had it and when it was brand new, but it has nothing on a BA, some may say it will outhandle a BA which is absolute bullИИИИ, my BA pulls around corners just as quick as my AU did and is a hell alot more comfortible to drive to. Plus it has a ИИИИload more power then the VCT did, it might be heavier but it smoother power with smoother gearchanges, the AU was a pile of crap for gearchanges with that adaptshift box, I really thought it wasn't going to last, not to mention the amount of ИИИИ people put on the car for its looks compared to my BA with the 18s, everyone thinks its gorgeous while everyone use to say whats that ugly mofo of a car, not that it ever worried me as I did like the styling and still do, especially of the Series IIIs with the Rebel body kit, they look sexy...

Interior wise the BA wins hands down for comfort, the seats are way more supportive plus theres alot less rattles in it compared to the AU. Other things like the instrument cluster really don't mean much to me, but at night the BA lights up blue inside and it looks so sexy....

Plenty of you put ИИИИ on the BA's but you only have to look at statistical figures to know its a better car.. Bit of bigus dickus syndrome going on there! I can't say im biased towards the BA over the AU, as I've had both and apprecaite what both have to offer, but to say the BA is not a better car would be not only an insult to those who drive them, but to Ford themselves. :monkes:

If I ever ran out of money and had to buy something cheaper tho, I'd buy an AU III VCT with the Rebel kit in Blueprint, I certainly won't take anything away from the car other then the things I experienced, as they are still sexy. Next for me however will probarly be a Typhoon. :voldar02:

Laughing my ИИИИ off here. Suddenly the BA boys are copping some ИИИИ (like the AU guys have copped for the last 3 years) and they turn to water and have a cry? Deal with it. Some people dont like think the BA is the ducks guts at all. I'm one of them. Get offended all you like but the fact remains my AU auto XR6 is faster than the known fastest manual BA XR6 in Australia (same, day, same place, I got the better time) and it has more street cred in one Tickford wing than the BA XR6 NA will ever have. They are a great car, I accept that. In many, many ways they outshine the AU XR6's.... but the fact of the matter is that to many of us they are as boring as bat ИИИИ.

Enjoy you BA, love it, have fun with it and be proud of it.. but if you come into aufalcon.com's threads and start claiming we have the "Bit of bigus dickus syndrome going on there!" then you are going to cop a flaming. The BA owners ego needs a ladder to get over sometime I swear.

Maybe its time that a few BA owners got over themselves enough and got a group together that didnt bicker long enough get the BA version of aufalcon.com off the ground.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:21 PM   #32
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZFORDAU
LOL, Buckys car is a very sexuall car lol! Some fine lines there! It's a hard one alright! I mean if i had a BA/BF XR and do it up similar to Buckys then id definitely go a done up BA/BF!

Cheers

Simon :sm_headba
Don't you mean "Bucky is very sexual"
Old 10-03-2006, 01:42 PM   #33
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Unfortunately i skipped the AU in my Ford purchasing past. I had an EL ghia, nice enough car, then had a BA xr6 and now a bf xr6, both N/A, both auto. I was very tempted to go for an AU Fairmont when i was looking for the EL, but i just couldn't get around the shape. Having said that, my thoughts have changed for the following reasons:

The BA xr6 was a ИИИИing pile of ИИИИ. It had reliability issues coming out it's ИИИИ. Vibrating wing mirror, creaking seat, interior segments not lining up, 3 transmissions in 4000km, crooked bumper, electric window switch not working intermittantly, parking speed steering noise and the list goes on. The car was excellent to cruise at highway speed in however, was very smooth and relatively quiet, was a breeze. Seats were also great, had minimal fatigue on long trips (do a lot of highway k's) compared to my three previous cars. But bring it back into peak hour and it was a rough pile of crap. Granted, mine was a friday night special, i've been in others that were far better, however the fact remains that a lot of people buy BA's because they 'look good'. A lot of people switched from the general and became overnight Ford fanatics because of the 'look' of the BA.

It seems in my experience that the BA was put together badly. I had so much grief with trying to get problems fixed on my BA, it was a freaking nightmare. 9 times out of 10 i would be told it was all 'within tolerance' or 'we couldn't replicate the issue', etc etc. The response i had was pathetic, and i ended up selling it because i couldn't be bothered dealing with the problems any more. My dad has a ba xt and that has had stuff all problems for 60,000km's. My mate has a ba mk1 xr6 and he's had nothing but problems. Most people with problems in the ba guise seem to have them with the xr's upwards. As i was saying, sure they look great, but the quality and 'tolerance' levels are pathetic. The fact it's basically hit and miss whether you get a good one is not good enough, and i'm surprised it's even legal.

I went for a BF xr6 with the 6 speed auto recently and hey, it's better than the BA was but it's still FAR from perfect. It has a list of problems that is already starting to get on my nerves, and quite frankly, i'll most likely never buy a Bx series car again unless the next model is a HUGE, PROVEN success. It's thoroughly pathetic that a car can be released full of problems, even after this being the 5th year of production of the B series.

In all honesty, i'm likely going to go for an AUIII XR8 later in the year, as i'd rather (no offence) not look as 'hot' (even though the au xr's are pretty nice) to actually get something which has reliability, and a better resale value, and reasonable handling. So working it the other way, yes i'd sell my BF for an AU!

DEFINITELY.

p.s. anyone with an AU XR8 for sale ? :P
Old 10-03-2006, 02:19 PM   #34
jspec_sti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Laughing my ИИИИ off here. Suddenly the BA boys are copping some ИИИИ (like the AU guys have copped for the last 3 years) and they turn to water and have a cry? Deal with it. Some people dont like think the BA is the ducks guts at all. I'm one of them. Get offended all you like but the fact remains my AU auto XR6 is faster than the known fastest manual BA XR6 in Australia (same, day, same place, I got the better time) and it has more street cred in one Tickford wing than the BA XR6 NA will ever have. They are a great car, I accept that. In many, many ways they outshine the AU XR6's.... but the fact of the matter is that to many of us they are as boring as bat ИИИИ.

Enjoy you BA, love it, have fun with it and be proud of it.. but if you come into aufalcon.com's threads and start claiming we have the "Bit of bigus dickus syndrome going on there!" then you are going to cop a flaming. The BA owners ego needs a ladder to get over sometime I swear.

Maybe its time that a few BA owners got over themselves enough and got a group together that didnt bicker long enough get the BA version of aufalcon.com off the ground.
lol. I was wondering how long it would take for your to notice Shockwave's "views". Love the "has more street cred in one Tickford wing than the BA XR6 NA will ever have." comment. Pure gold.

Also, aualright, the 4.6L V8 resides in my wife's Explorer and is indeed a gem. Something "mystical" about driving around in a car with an engine that is basically the same as the one that powers a Mustang...
Old 10-03-2006, 02:19 PM   #35
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladexr8
I think this thread is about to take a nasty turn... Some people are so touchy.
Makes for interesting reading though

Last edited by Deadman; 10-03-2006 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:01 PM   #36
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In someways i think Casper is right. No denying that the Au is ugly, the AU is a failure etc etc etc, but the AU layed the foundation for how successful the BA has become. Some of us actually bought the AU, not based on what the general public said the AU was, a failure on the race track. I don't get into the car racing thing so regardless of whether it did or it didn't out perform holden on the race track is totally irelevant for me.

When I look at name tickford, it means something. Base model XR's received the tickford treatment, where as the XR's in the BA/BF are just produced by ford. When you think about it, they are just tarted up Futura's with the XR badge. There is nothing that separates the futura and the XR6, other than a body, rims and some badging.

But with the AU, they were given to Tickford for a set of wings. Those of us who own AU's do value the wings. Yeah sure its just a badge, but it represents something. So BA/BF owners bag the AU all you want, but without the AU, the BA would never be what it is today. No matter how much you try to deny it, the BA is really just a tarted up AU. Seriously, you can pull the doors of an AU and stick em onto a BA. That's how close the BA is to the AU. When the doors fit, you know you haven't strayed far from the previous model.

There is becoming a very clear line forming between the BA and every other model of ford. Superiority complexes are starting to shine through. But at the end of the day, the BA is nothing more than a car to carry on the falcon name.

Anyway, having said that, I would love a BA.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:16 PM   #37
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Yeah sure its just a badge, but it represents something.
The last of a heritage and a bloodline that commanded respect.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:34 PM   #38
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well the debate is on but a healthy thing so long as people stay with the issue and not attack at personal levels all will be good.
Quote:
Bucknaked In someways i think Casper is right. No denying that the Au is ugly, the AU is a failure etc etc etc,
I dont think the AU ( AUXR8111 for me ) was ugly at all, it has a tough look with the front headlights / grill and body kit, especially in a lowered form having a real and promient road presence.

Quote:
There is becoming a very clear line forming between the BA and every other model of ford. Superiority complexes are starting to shine through.
Cant and wont agree with this, the same could be said for any group ie X series E series etc etc, but i would say most people ( outside of a handfull ) realise that no matter what car they drive it makes them in no way special, no better or worse than the person next to them.

people who do have a i am better than you attitude have issues far greater than the car they drive, however sad to say that these days along with most things people are now judging people by what they drive , where they live etc and the car is a fashion statement as much as a pair of niki shoes.

Its quite funny when i drive the toyota around the looks others give me from thier fords / holdens etc are in some ways (im better than you ) and i see this more and more, but take the DEVIL out with its truck exhaust thumping away and another story all together.

In a way it is sad that people are classed by what they have and not who they are but its the way of the world, for me if its down to the class factor give me the biggest heap of crap to drive every day so can be where the real people live. ( i would want fast crap is that allowed LOL _2: )

Pete
Old 10-03-2006, 03:34 PM   #39
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Never happen in my driveway myXR8 has 1st poszy. Have raced+ driven kevs beast whilst quick +good fun just didn"t do it for me. miss allys XR6T was a nicer thing to play with (mid track excursion excluded) just needs another snail to get it to crack . there only 2 cars that would tempt me to move forward one spot. XW PH11GTHO AU111 Tsieres stroker 5spd. :evil_laug :evil_laug IMO the T would be the most under rated car tickford produced .
Now if I could just get Caspers new Tickford wing Quote to appear
LOL ..Whoosha

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Old 10-03-2006, 03:36 PM   #40
stock au
Need go fast bit's

i'd never trade my au xr for a ba xr ever
Old 10-03-2006, 04:14 PM   #41
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I would only consider a f6 typhoon for an upgrade. The Ba XR's have their place but after such a love affair with my AU wagon its getting a bit personal.Shes like a good wife..shes aging a bit but dam she's still sexy!!! :1syellow1The young ones just dont have the character!!!

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 10-03-2006, 04:24 PM   #42
jspec_sti

I think someone is upset...

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=40239
Old 10-03-2006, 04:26 PM   #43
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I haven't owned an AU or a BA XR but I drove a lot of miles in a short time in a BA XR6 and as I said at the time it was really, really noisy inside.

Not only would I not swap an AU XR for it, I would not buy a BA XR in the first place.

ymmv
Old 10-03-2006, 04:47 PM   #44
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman
Makes for interesting reading though
So far so good !, don't forget this is just a thread to hear everyone out on their opinions , not judge their opinions ! - if you don't like what someone says then just read on and forget about it ok ;) ..ty ... It's definatelly made some good reading so far seeing what people think between the 2 models and why or why not they would do a swap.
Don't forget that even a little thing like a persons size can make a big the difference to the kind of car they find comfortable/drivable ! - weather they fit in the drivers seat better - or can reach the pedals and wheel better or one or the other.. Alot of little factors like that could make a car feel comfortable to 1 person ( and make the car feel nice to drive/handle ) , compared to a another different sized person who finds they cant reach the pedals without the seat foward- so they move the seat foward but then the wheel is too close etc etc ... U know what i mean. Given even just a small factor like makes it understandable why people choose 1 over the other.

Well done so far anyways peoples . I was expecting to see this thread closed by today due to people not being able to talk about an issue without arueing or putting down other peoples comments !.. thanks again , keep it going and keep it clean , cheers ;)

:eclipsee_
Old 10-03-2006, 05:40 PM   #45
SIKSIX
Its gone V

I would do it in a blink of an eye.......only for a turbo though, the only reason i got an au is the motor, potential to look great, (imo e-series havn't got that) and its the fastest thing i can drive on my P'swith cheap insurance/running cost, hence the manual. but getting back to the ba thing i think if you put most (and i mean most not all) of this forum in a BA XR6T with a stage3 APS kit and most people will say what AU...where AU...i'll take it in purple with leather, prem sound, 6spd manual, 19" DJR's, djr boot lip and front bar and axed on the ground mmmmmmmmmmmm i can only dream :alien2: . but then again like someone said they see more BA's than AU's dats a good point for us AU owners, but....like i said im on my P's and plan to mod my au and keep it for a long time but like it said in the thread topic "would you SWAP (<--keyword) your AU for a BA"
thats my two cents.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:10 PM   #46
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
AU XR6 to BA XR6 (NA).. not a chance in Hell.
Exactly.

The BA just doesn't stand out enough. Also after having a drive in one they're not that special.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:28 PM   #47
xd5.8l
Banned

Bashem to a pulp boys! Here comes the AU revolt after so many years of being suppressed by those tilt trayed, unopened, un molested BOSS bogans. My car has never rattled, leaked oil or had any oil consumption problems even with the onset of piston slap, evident in mornings after 130,000 ball bursting km.

There's nothing shameful of being beaten by 2-3 car lengths to 130-140 km by a 250 kw VZ SS commodore. Serviced an au3 I6 today with 200,000km (rep car) the thing was spotless, no engine leaks nothing to be found!

My attention has turned to my 7.0L bb. That is the only fix for me now, these 13.5+ sec cars are a yawn. But if you must go a second slower and stay in one piece. GO AU!!!!!!!!!!!!! WONDER OF THE MODERN WORLD :sm_headba

Last edited by xd5.8l; 10-03-2006 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:29 PM   #48
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd5.8l
There's nothing shameful of being beaten by 2-3 car lengths to 130-140 km by a 250 kw VZ SS commodore.
Who's getting beaten? Last SS LS1 that tried me on lost to 80kph when I hit the speed limit :P

Old 10-03-2006, 06:35 PM   #49
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Who's getting beaten? Last SS LS1 that tried me on lost to 80kph when I hit the speed limit :P
haha that's the way i usually do it too.. but that's generally because an ls1/2/3 would anhiallate me over 100 or so (i'm guessing).
Old 10-03-2006, 06:35 PM   #50
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
I cant get away with that comment but....I agree. 100 kays and up may be a different story though.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 10-03-2006, 06:46 PM   #51
xd5.8l
Banned

This guy stalled it up off the line so the WINDSOR'S solid ususpecting low end punch was nullified (Thats the only way they get these cars).
They just creep away from 220 windsor's very, very slowly. We all must remember it's only 5000cc and on face valueputs up a sterling fight :

Last edited by xd5.8l; 10-03-2006 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:04 PM   #52
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
I cant get away with that comment but....I agree. 100 kays and up may be a different story though.
yeah ya can.. Monaro, WSID, you whipped him to 100kph.. everyone saw it too! :eclipsee_

Old 10-03-2006, 07:15 PM   #53
stiddy
Banned

Id swap my AU for a BA XR6, then id sell the BA XR6 buy another AU XR6 and have cash left over to mod it :P

As for the LS1 (SV8) you can ask my mate wayne how my baby stands up to his car
Old 10-03-2006, 07:18 PM   #54
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would i sell my AU XR6? No - I would keep it for a weekend car and make it FAST.
Would I Buy a BA XR? Yes - Keep it for a stock daily driver.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:36 PM   #55
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
Id swap my AU for a BA XR6, then id sell the BA XR6 buy another AU XR6 and have cash left over to mod it :P

As for the LS1 (SV8) you can ask my mate wayne how my baby stands up to his car
lol , smart thinking man ! - i wondered how long before someone wrote this ! ..lol , i'de do the same too .

:eclipsee_
Old 10-03-2006, 09:03 PM   #56
shepv8
V8's for ever

hell yes, in a heartbeat.
have driven new manual XR6T ,XR6 with 17000ks and GT with 50000ks.
They do handle differently,but I dont think its worse. Just need to get used to them.
Love my AU1 XR8 but the BA is Better in every aspect except weight.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:12 PM   #57
TCK-098

Ford would have to personally pay me to take ownership in a BA ive driven a couple and wasnt entirely impressed to say the least so the Au i seam to love each day due to the handling and the fact the look on BA owners face when i give my Au a bootful :evil_laug

Oh and most of the BA owners ive come across have thier heads berryied somwhere well and truely.

AU anyday unless someone gives me a genuine black and silver XBGT then im :evilsasmo
Old 10-03-2006, 10:13 PM   #58
chief
FTF Club Moderator

I have driven both AU Series I and BA Mach 1. I prefer the AU.There is something about it. The stance on the road AU's have it over BA's. The Tickford wings, The way that it is an ugly duckling when it started and now is a glamoured swan (I think so anyway).

As Casper said earlier in another thread. Get the AU if your an enthusiast, get the BA to get from Point A to Point B. I agree with this statement. The AU's are the type of cars that an enthusiast will buy compared to a Holden convert. And hance our views on the BA's, being AU owners.

Plus with the AU wagon (yes I carry on about wagons) the AU's got the option of a V8 and a Fairmont wagon that the BA / BF doesn't have.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
Old 10-03-2006, 11:20 PM   #59
buickman
buickman

Ford has quality issues with both models but my AU has been very reliable mech & when it comes to my next update I would have to bypass the BA seen a few cut out for no known reason & not start plus other mech issues I've read about. My Au gives fairly good economy on the h/ways & its got everything I need the car to do plus its always had a great A/conditioner. When Ford releases their new car next year I might look at that. But the 6 speed auto on th BF sounds a winner over the BA.

The only Au's I find unattrative is the S1 Forte & Futura in stock factory appearance & thats what most people judge them on. But with better wheels body kit & lowered I have seen a few that look neat.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:37 PM   #60
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Au s111 xr6 for me(v8 would be a different story,T3 all the way : ).Ford had them right by the time they hit the s3,if only they were like that from the start(the s3) we wouldn't have needed the ba to get us out of the poo.
Love au's,their underated.

Last edited by apolloxbgt; 10-03-2006 at 11:43 PM.
Closed Thread