Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 27-02-2016, 08:59 AM   #31
superyob
Banned

Default Re: Defence 2016 white paper

With German tanks, British jets, Aussie platoons and Italian cookery, we'll be right...
This user likes this post:
Old 27-02-2016, 09:50 AM   #32
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makovic View Post
French, German or Japanese?

Any takers?

Should have shortlisted the US Nuclear Subs. Plug and play.

Yep should just lease Virginia class fast attack subs from the US.

Last edited by Fordman1; 27-02-2016 at 09:59 AM.
Old 27-02-2016, 01:49 PM   #33
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win View Post
Non-Bali, Non-Jakarta Indo is so primitive they don't have running water, telecoms or garbage collection let alone "masters". Their military is made up of compulsory military service conscripts who at the first sign of trouble would bail out and head for the jungle, and there would be no way to find them. They would last all of five minutes in any conflict.
Quite frankly you underestimate Indonesia, their only problem is inadequate old military equipment compared to ours plus we have air strike capability on their home soil.
Could be a different scenario if they were better equipped!
Old 27-02-2016, 04:24 PM   #34
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So funny, all this money on the military, but we only have 30 days of fuel in the country, and 3 days of fuel in the country with the military at war. We have closed the refineries and decided it was cheaper to have foreign tankers only bringing in the fuel. WHAT A JOKE
7 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2016, 05:01 PM   #35
Kingsley
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Another problem in the ADF is for decades various governments have funneled money away from things such as maintenance and living facilities and into ADF hardware. Many facilities and equipment within Defence is either outdated, unsuited and unintended for their purpose and some are well behind in just basic maintenance let alone needed repairs. It was always going to catch up with someone in government one day.
Old 27-02-2016, 06:21 PM   #36
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Imo should've been at least 5% gdp without a doubt considering there's a arms race going on now in Asia & in other parts of the planet.

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
3 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2016, 08:06 PM   #37
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's pretty sad in this day and age after thousands of years of humans fighting humans that we even need to think about weapon's and defense, what sorry creatures we humans are, defense budget ? What ever it takes !
5 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2016, 02:59 AM   #38
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Yep whatever it takes.....I want my flame thrower to be able to burn other human bodies alive as fast as possible, so I don't have to get my knife out and cut his throat because his blood curdling screams are ringing in my ears! And while we're at it......lets wipe out a few cities with our nuclear subs.....omg

I don't get the human mind........we've spent centuries moaning about carnage from wars, and the damage it does to the surviving human minds.....and yet the powers at be knee jerk reactions are always for more devastating weaponry then the enemy(whoever that is).

I wonder how many humans have to stand eye to eye knowing that one of them has to stab the other, for the piece of land they're standing on for things to change! I mean seriously......if the powers that be and world leaders lead for the good of humanity and not GREED and for their CAREERS.....these extreme measures would be as useless as they should be! But yes I digress, as there's always a "bad guy", like Hitler ready to mess things up! Reality is cold!
Order the damn choppers already!!
Old 28-02-2016, 03:11 AM   #39
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
It's pretty sad in this day and age after thousands of years of humans fighting humans that we even need to think about weapon's and defense, what sorry creatures we humans are, defense budget ? What ever it takes !
What could the world's defence budgets have paid for?

Makes you wonder doesn't it....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 28-02-2016, 09:30 AM   #40
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
What could the world's defence budgets have paid for?

Makes you wonder doesn't it....

If the US military stood down for 30 minutes the money saved would end world hunger.
3 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2016, 09:40 AM   #41
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
If the US military stood down for 30 minutes the money saved would end world hunger.
That's what I was getting at....

And the rest of the world....?

* Cures for all major diseases.
* Space exploration like what we see in the movies.
* Life spans that average triple digits.
* Education, housing, food and sanitation for all.

One day I guess, but not in my life time....

2 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2016, 09:52 AM   #42
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Quite frankly you underestimate Indonesia, their only problem is inadequate old military equipment compared to ours plus we have air strike capability on their home soil.
Could be a different scenario if they were better equipped!
Agreed.
The status quo remains only for a given time.

Indonesia’s AF Expresses Continued Interest in SU-35s
http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/...lankers-03691/

We have engaged Indonesia before...
https://www.awm.gov.au/atwar/indonesian-confrontation/
Old 28-02-2016, 10:13 AM   #43
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:

I'm with you YF, though on the other hand, from military tech came all sorts of new tech that's benefited the community immensely.

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
3 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2016, 11:17 AM   #44
superyob
Banned

Quote:

Off topic, but this sounds like a disaster for an already overcrowded planet. What we need is Professor Frink's rebigulator to be programmed for bigulation to make the planet large enough to cope with the above benefits...

On the other hand, a few well placed nuclear devices would solve world hunger...
Old 28-02-2016, 01:40 PM   #45
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have not a hope in hell of taking on any war or saving our nation from jack.

Our people have no training, all if not most of our people should of done 2 years in some defence like most nations do.

Our ADF is a joke ! Look at the total morons at the top command we have had the lowest of the low dip sticks that don't even know who or what they are, not to mention I can not even say what they truly are, because in the new age world we are in today, you will be charged guilty with upsetting some ones feelings and if it's just the facts or the truth that you are pointing out, that's a no no !
My mate who was a Major was kicked out because he upset some filthy low life grubs that were not following the rule book, not to mention what the stupid traitors this lot are and they are treating Aussies as 2ed rate people in the ADF pushing good people around.

I could go on and on about the backwardness of the ADF and our moronic governments stupidity, it's a total disgrace and it amounts to treason.
3 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2016, 02:36 PM   #46
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

The usual suspects can't help their attitude and remove the chance for those who express themselves more appropriately from having their say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makovic View Post
Military Lessons Taught:

The Germans tried it, twice. They are now permanently defeated.

The Japs bombed Pearl Harbour and then Australia. They are still licking their wounds.

The Arabs attacked New York. They have been dealt with.

The Chinese have been getting more and more belligerent. The South China Sea land-grab is their latest stunt.

Time for another lesson.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
Yep whatever it takes.....I want my flame thrower to be able to burn other human bodies alive as fast as possible, so I don't have to get my knife out and cut his throat because his blood curdling screams are ringing in my ears! And while we're at it......lets wipe out a few cities with our nuclear subs.....:raisedeyeomg

I don't get the human mind........we've spent centuries moaning about carnage from wars, and the damage it does to the surviving human minds.....and yet the powers at be knee jerk reactions are always for more devastating weaponry then the enemy(whoever that is).

I wonder how many humans have to stand eye to eye knowing that one of them has to stab the other, for the piece of land they're standing on for things to change! I mean seriously......if the powers that be and world leaders lead for the good of humanity and not GREED and for their CAREERS.....these extreme measures would be as useless as they should be! But yes I digress, as there's always a "bad guy", like Hitler ready to mess things up! Reality is cold!
Order the damn choppers already!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan View Post

Our people have no training, all if not most of our people should of done 2 years in some defence like most nations do.

Our ADF is a joke ! Look at the total morons at the top command we have had the lowest of the low dip sticks that don't even know who or what they are, not to mention I can not even say what they truly are, because in the new age world we are in today, you will be charged guilty with upsetting some ones feelings and if it's just the facts or the truth that you are pointing out, that's a no no !
My mate who was a Major was kicked out because he upset some filthy low life grubs that were not following the rule book, not to mention what the stupid traitors this lot are and they are treating Aussies as 2ed rate people in the ADF pushing good people around.

I could go on and on about the backwardness of the ADF and our moronic governments stupidity, it's a total disgrace and it amounts to treason.

I wish you would just tone down the way you express yourselves.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"

Last edited by nuthin' fancy; 28-02-2016 at 07:56 PM.
Old 28-02-2016, 05:12 PM   #47
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy View Post
The usual suspects can't help their attitude and remove the chance for those who express themselves more appropriately from having their say.

I wish you would just tone down the way you express yourselves.
I wish you would accept MY opinion for what it is for a change!
You go on a lot about talking to people as if their sitting in front of you, and I certainly would say any of that to anyone's face.
We're not talking about Daisies here. We're talking about WAR, KILLING and DEFENSE of AUS! My comments were meant to highlight the seriousness of the topic! You don't seem to like descriptive or emotional narrative!
Personally I'd prefer you just deleted the comments if you don't like them for some reason, rather then disrespecting my opinion.
And these comments above certainly aren't inappropriate and deffinately don't prevent anyone else from sharing and having a say! Their is allready a wide variety of thoughts and comments with zero conflict!
Old 28-02-2016, 05:13 PM   #48
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Serious question......whys it called "white paper"??
Old 28-02-2016, 05:21 PM   #49
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_paper
Old 28-02-2016, 05:33 PM   #50
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Because they're all CIS racists!

Old 28-02-2016, 06:38 PM   #51
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
You go on a lot about talking to people as if their sitting in front of you, and I certainly would say any of that to anyone's face.
We're not talking about Daisies here. We're talking about WAR, KILLING and DEFENSE of AUS! My comments were meant to highlight the seriousness of the topic! You don't seem to like descriptive or emotional narrative!
Personally I'd prefer you just deleted the comments if you don't like them for some reason, rather then disrespecting my opinion.
And these comments above certainly aren't inappropriate and deffinately don't prevent anyone else from sharing and having a say! Their is allready a wide variety of thoughts and comments with zero conflict!
See 1tuffute, you're always up for an argument. I didn't suggest your opinion wasn't valued, I objected to the way you expressed yourself.

You need to learn the difference.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
2 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2016, 07:00 PM   #52
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy View Post
See 1tuffute, you're always up for an argument. I didn't suggest your opinion wasn't valued, I objected to the way you expressed yourself.

You need to learn the difference.
I'll give you a hot tip.....it takes TWO too argue!
And I prefer a debate over arguing any day. Maybe you should learn that!
Rather then attack what others say and make out it's inappropriate and preventing others from making a wholesome contribution....
Old 28-02-2016, 07:04 PM   #53
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

3, 2, 1 .......
Old 28-02-2016, 07:32 PM   #54
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Personally, I'd prefer if all your comments were deleted. Don't let the door hit you on the way out..................
Old 28-02-2016, 08:08 PM   #55
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Rather then attack what others say and make out it's inappropriate and preventing others from making a wholesome contribution....
From site T & Cs

In short, the following things are not permitted:

1. Posts about or containing references to: religion, race, politics, sensitive or controversial subjects except at the discretion of the admin team.

I'm trying to use my discretion to permit the conversation to continue but you seem incapable of seeing that the way you contribute could be improved.

I actually agree with a number of points you make. I'm asking you to see that you could find a better way to contribute.

Normally, I would take this to PM, but I want others to see it too. Work harder at crafting a quiet, well expressed message and you'll get more respect for what you have to say.

And you'll take up less of my time.

4 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2016, 08:21 PM   #56
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

all well and good in a perfect world

its not all that perfect
5 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2016, 09:14 PM   #57
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
Off topic, but this sounds like a disaster for an already overcrowded planet. What we need is Professor Frink's rebigulator to be programmed for bigulation to make the planet large enough to cope with the above benefits...

On the other hand, a few well placed nuclear devices would solve world hunger...
We are nowhere near overcrowded actually. It may seem that way, but we don't have an overpopulation problem, rather a land under utilisation problem.

Look at our 'megacities' - Several have populations that exceed or match our whole country yet their comparative footprint is tiny.

As for your last comment.

Old 28-02-2016, 09:15 PM   #58
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
all well and good in a perfect world

its not all that perfect
True that....

Old 28-02-2016, 09:38 PM   #59
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan View Post

I actually agree with the idea military service. I have a EU Passport and was advised to get a letter exempting me from military service when I went to Italy once as there was a chance they could have forced me to stay as I was under 25 and technically a citizen yet to do his service.

My Korean friends have to do it. They learn discipline, basic hand to hand combat, how to handle weapons etc.

Anyway.... back on topic.

Old 28-02-2016, 09:40 PM   #60
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Let me give you a hot tip. You may mean well (I'm providing the benefit of the doubt here) but you come across as obnoxious, vainglorious and misanthropic and if the way you post is meant to be debate them perhaps we should refer to WW2 as a 'skirmish'.

If you were prepared to couch your opinions in the manner of a debate then we wouldn't see so much controversy around them.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

5 users like this post:
Closed Thread