Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-12-2007, 04:02 AM   #31
Sylox
Uterus M.I.A.

Mps
Wrx
Xr5

Gti

Sylox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2007, 05:57 AM   #32
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo

I mean 6 sec to 100km/h is really being outpaced by the 6.5 sec XR5, 6.0 sec MPS3 or ~5.8 sec WRX, hey? Oh wait a second...
Wake up.... your dreaming again
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2007, 08:34 AM   #33
Disciple
Banned

Steffo, get the hell out of a good thread. You are completely ruining it with your opinionated, biased rubbish.
Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2007, 09:21 AM   #34
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Go the mazda 3 MPS!!!!!!!

What about those V6 Golfs??
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2007, 09:31 AM   #35
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Get a Renault Megane Sport 225, its the best handling of the lot, goes just as good and rarer.

2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2007, 09:43 AM   #36
cowboy
Cowboy

Don't try and be rational. You have to drive this thing everyday, pick the one that when it's in your driveway and you leave the house to go to work, it will make you hesitate for just a second and think, hell yeah.
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1948 Pontiac silver streak
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2007, 11:00 AM   #37
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple
Steffo, get the hell out of a good thread. You are completely ruining it with your opinionated, biased rubbish.
I'm advocating the car I think is best based on having driven three of the contenders and having experienced all four.

Oh wait that's not allowed?

Don't try and tell me what to do newbie. :togo:
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2007, 11:15 AM   #38
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Gti !!
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2007, 11:20 AM   #39
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy
Don't try and be rational. You have to drive this thing everyday, pick the one that when it's in your driveway and you leave the house to go to work, it will make you hesitate for just a second and think, hell yeah.
Best advice in this thread! You can't really go wrong with any of these (though I'd only get a WRX if they payed me to)... so pick the one you like best. People's recommendations can only go so far.

:
Old 08-12-2007, 12:39 PM   #40
B-Series

Quote:
They are unreliable. Through real life experience too. Working at a Scooby shop would help.

Its not outpaced by the competition. In fact, the only ones on that list capable of keeping up with a DSG GTI are the WRX and the MPS3. The XR5 trails them considerably.

http://www.gayot.com/lifestyle/autom...wagen_gti.html

I mean 6 sec to 100km/h is really being outpaced by the 6.5 sec XR5, 6.0 sec MPS3 or ~5.8 sec WRX, hey? Oh wait a second...
Subaru = unreliable? Based on the experiences/opinions of a biased service department employee?

Yes, you're correct. The MPS 3, Megane 225, WRX all considerably outpace the VW when it comes to in gear acceleration and the 1/4 mile. The VW is a good all rounder but is too slow and arguably too soft to be a serious performance car.
B-Series is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2007, 01:01 PM   #41
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAFIA
Um have a look at the tiny and stupid big price tag that goes with it = Pathetic choice! :evil3:
huh? i couldn't understand what you meant in your post.
How is it a pathetic choice? It is priced within the brackets of the suggested cars. Oh I see it is because it holds a HSV badge, my bad :
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2007, 02:18 PM   #42
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Series
Subaru = unreliable? Based on the experiences/opinions of a biased service department employee?

Yes, you're correct. The MPS 3, Megane 225, WRX all considerably outpace the VW when it comes to in gear acceleration and the 1/4 mile. The VW is a good all rounder but is too slow and arguably too soft to be a serious performance car.
http://www.bestmotoringvideo.com/news/2005_08.html

In this episode, if you read under "Hot Hatch Battle," which I have seen but can't find the link to the site that had the stream - only a torrent - they test all those hot hatches. And they do drag races. The Manual GTI does lose, but the DSG GTI beats every single one. No human being can compare to the shifting ability of the DSG gearbox, which can wipe half a second or more from a 100km/h time, depending on how many shifts the car needs. The GTI DSG is not slower then its competitors. Only the manual is.

Gee, now working at Subaru, where the maintain and fix the cars no less, is not good enough for you?

:
Old 08-12-2007, 03:17 PM   #43
B-Series

Quote:
http://www.bestmotoringvideo.com/news/2005_08.html

In this episode, if you read under "Hot Hatch Battle," which I have seen but can't find the link to the site that had the stream - only a torrent - they test all those hot hatches. And they do drag races. The Manual GTI does lose, but the DSG GTI beats every single one. No human being can compare to the shifting ability of the DSG gearbox, which can wipe half a second or more from a 100km/h time, depending on how many shifts the car needs. The GTI DSG is not slower then its competitors. Only the manual is.

Gee, now working at Subaru, where the maintain and fix the cars no less, is not good enough for you?
http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...2/pageNumber=1

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...5/pageNumber=8

In these tests a manual GTI ran a low 15. The DSG is faster, but not more than 3 tenths in a 1/4 mile race. The DSG has pretty poor 80-120kph in gear acceleration and the 1/4 mile speed of around 150kph is pretty embarrassing.

Subaru just happens to be ranked as one of the more reliable car manufacturers out there... more so than VW I would think.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:22 PM   #44
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...2/pageNumber=1

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...5/pageNumber=8

In these tests a manual GTI ran a low 15. The DSG is faster, but not more than 3 tenths in a 1/4 mile race. The DSG has pretty poor 80-120kph in gear acceleration and the 1/4 mile speed of around 150kph is pretty embarrassing.

Subaru just happens to be ranked as one of the more reliable car manufacturers out there... more so than VW I would think.
I'll find a link to the Best Motoring video, and if I can't, get the torrent and then upload the drag race segment to Youtube. The DSG GTI beats every other car they had there in the drag race. There's two conflicting, credible sources.

In my experience in driving these cars, the DSG GTI is faster.

Ranked by who? (Subaru). Is it just based on the merits of the cars alone, or on things that have nothing to do with the car like how it smelt inside the dealership? A friend's parents just got rid of an 06 Liberty 2.5i that spent 8 consecutive months in the dealership for warranty repairs, while they were given a Forester courtesy car. The car was rubbish but their customer service wasn't... and in alot of silly surveys that scores points. Plus surveys aren't a be-all-end-all source of much anyway.

I wouldn't put my money to a Subaru. I'd buy a Mazda without thinking twice however (was a joint Subaru/Mazda dealership service centre I worked at).

:
Old 08-12-2007, 03:37 PM   #45
B-Series

Quote:
I'll find a link to the Best Motoring video, and if I can't, get the torrent and then upload the drag race segment to Youtube. The DSG GTI beats every other car they had there in the drag race. There's two conflicting, credible sources.

In my experience in driving these cars, the DSG GTI is faster.

Ranked by who? (Subaru). Is it just based on the merits of the cars alone, or on things that have nothing to do with the car like how it smelt inside the dealership? A friend's parents just got rid of an 06 Liberty 2.5i that spent 8 consecutive months in the dealership for warranty repairs, while they were given a Forester courtesy car. The car was rubbish but their customer service wasn't... and in alot of silly surveys that scores points. Plus surveys aren't a be-all-end-all source of much anyway.

I wouldn't put my money to a Subaru. I'd buy a Mazda without thinking twice however (was a joint Subaru/Mazda dealership service centre I worked at).
I can't think of any off the top of my head but I know that there are many credible sources that rank Subaru quite highly when it comes to reliability. They look at data regarding the number and amount of money spent on warranty claims. Subaru often comes out on top.

It would be interesting to see that video. Did it reveal the times or did they just say who won the race?
Old 08-12-2007, 03:38 PM   #46
perrys

Yes, all these Europeans have souls. But are you looking into modifying your new car soon? If so, I would suggest you to stick with Mazdas and Subarus. They are cheaper to modify and far more reliable when having big power.
perrys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2007, 03:41 PM   #47
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
I can't think of any off the top of my head but I know that there are many credible sources that rank Subaru quite highly when it comes to reliability. They look at data regarding the number and amount of money spent on warranty claims. Subaru often comes out on top.

It would be interesting to see that video. Did it reveal the times or did they just say who won the race?
They reveal the times at the end of the video, but its a good 10 min or so worth of clip showing individual drag races between the two cars. They have a normal Best Motoring presenter driving the DSG GTI, and a professional race driver driving every other car and he consistantly loses to the Joe Average in the DSG GTI. Then he tries out the DSG GTI himself. Something like that. I'll see if I can find a stream of it, if not, I'll throw one up on youtube.

:
Old 08-12-2007, 04:11 PM   #48
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People get caught up in 1/4 times. You can't drive like that on the street. 1/10th of second shouldn't be the determining factor when your buying a car. The best way to determine the best car for you, is drive it, and if it feels good, then part with your money. If you like the way it goes, the way it handles and it suits your needs like size and comfort, then your choice should be easy once you have driven one. I drove the XR5, never bothered with the other brands, as all I was after was something that is fun to drive and is reasonably economical (I'm getting 9.2 per 100 around town). I like the look of the focus, and its a ford, so i figure it's gonna suit me. So that's what I bought.

I have no plans to modify my XR5. If I want something faster, then I'll buy a faster car. This for me, suits us. Easy to drive, great town car, easy to park and good in and out of traffic. Has some nice features.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2007, 04:22 PM   #49
Disciple
Banned

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...6&vf=0&IsPgd=0

VW reliability and quality is nowhere near what some people will have you believe. I personally know someone who has a GTI with the DSG gearbox and the first time he went to give it a boot full, the gearbox broke. Took it back to VW, they happily fixed it for him, again, goes to give it a boot, broken again. It broke THREE times before they finally fixed it properly.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:32 PM   #50
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...6&vf=0&IsPgd=0

VW reliability and quality is nowhere near what some people will have you believe. I personally know someone who has a GTI with the DSG gearbox and the first time he went to give it a boot full, the gearbox broke. Took it back to VW, they happily fixed it for him, again, goes to give it a boot, broken again. It broke THREE times before they finally fixed it properly.
That's one example out of the near 1,000,000 odd Golfs they sell globally each year? Surely if they were "bad," like you say, VW wouldn't be the 4th largest manufacturer in the world despite having the lowest fleet sales of any of the top 5 manufacturers.

I know five people with Golf V's so far (until I convert more haha), that's not counting other VAG products... and each person's only complaint is they didn't buy one sooner. Not too shabby if you ask me.

:
Old 08-12-2007, 04:55 PM   #51
Disciple
Banned

I didn't say VW is bad. I posted a link to a quality survey performed by drive.com.au and recalled the experience of a friends car. I know it cuts you deep to hear your beloved VW aren't the holy grail, but other people might be interested in a logical discussion.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:00 PM   #52
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

I own a VW GTI Polo, absolutely love it.

I have owned it since new (car just turned 1 year old )
Since owning it i have had absolutely NOTHING go wrong. The engine it uses is one shared with Seat,Audi, VW etc...

Now i realise the GTI Golf uses a slightly larger motor (from 1.8 in Polo to 2.0 in Golf)
But that golf motor is now being used throughout VAG, Volkswagen Audi Group.

Reliability, from what i have experienced soo far has been faultless.
Someone made mention of a DSG gearbox which broke because of abuse or hard driving. Care to hop on a WRX forum and ask how many people have shattered their gearboxes as a result of hard use?
Also, how many MPS3 owners have snapped engine mounts as a result of hard driving.

Point being, every car and EVERY manufacturer will have problems with parts breaking, thats why there is a thing called New car warranty.

DSG is one of the most advanced gearboxes available on the market, i think i remember reading that it shifts gears faster than the Ferrari street car F1 gearbox.

When it comes to modifying and extracting a little more power from a VW or Audi, its as simple as having APR plug in their computer.

Speaking from experience here with my GTI polo, it took 30 minutes to extract another 50 odd Kw and another 110nm. How much easier does it need to be? Now run the car down the quater mile
Polo GTI's with reflash are doing flat 14's ! All in all for around 1700 bucks.

Golfs with reflash are getting over 188kw and 410nm of torque. Impressive
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2007, 05:05 PM   #53
Disciple
Banned

Impressive for sure, but how much power do you wanna put through the front wheels? :
Old 08-12-2007, 05:06 PM   #54
Disciple
Banned

Delete.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:27 PM   #55
steamin63
old skool

don't forget the type R CIVIC. if you want a true performance hot hatch none of the others compare [my opinion]. i've driven all of the cars mentioned except the holden and the renault and all of them are better or worse in their own way ,but only the HONDA made me want to go back for another test drive [another 2 test drives actually]. be warned though , they are not designed for putting around in granny mode in heavy traffic.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:01 PM   #56
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All I can say is my WRX is still going strong. I would never put unreliable and Subaru in the same sentence. Same with Mazda or VW!
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2007, 07:35 PM   #57
Nevermind
Goodbye XR8

Just a quick note, WRX insurance $1900! MPS, XR5 and GTI $800 - $900
That might help my decision making without even looking at them.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:41 PM   #58
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermind
Well unfortunately there are a lot of ****er$ who drive WRXs. Plus Subaru parts are really expensive too which would make cost of repairs really high.

I wish my insurance was $1900 though :
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2007, 07:44 PM   #59
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermind
I found if I added my WRX to my insurance package (house/contents/car) it was no more expensive than any other car, only when trying to insure it on it's own it got expensive. Might me different over these parts.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2007, 08:18 PM   #60
Nevermind
Goodbye XR8

Thats through NRMA, have home and contents and Greenslip through them as well.