Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-11-2015, 07:56 PM   #31
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Woolworths "rewards"

Just over 12 months ago, this household changed from IGA to Coles for its weekly shop. We noticed, like others mentioned earlier, an IGA shop certainly costs more.

HOWEVER, the last few months have been frustrating. Coles are deleting more and more lines, usually leaving a "Home" brand and a "Name" brand as your choice. Too bad if the one in the middle was your favourite brand of whatever. So then the items that cant be had at Coles means a trip to another supermarket. But the prices are "down down" and that's what customers want isn't it? and then drive all over town to get what you want!

Aldi is the same. There is no way I could do my weekly shop at Aldi without a trip to another supermarket to get the items that Aldi don't bother to stock.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2015, 08:10 PM   #32
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I personally think that these store cards are more a tool for the supermarkets to monitor trends in what we buy and for gathering statistics.

I keep saying that I'll cut them up and make my wallet thinner but then you get an insurance quote and a fly buys number gets you a discount or you buy a certain item from Woolies and those that have the orange card get 20% off...

They cost me nothing to carry I guess...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-11-2015, 08:22 PM   #33
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post

Aldi is the same. There is no way I could do my weekly shop at Aldi without a trip to another supermarket to get the items that Aldi don't bother to stock.
The other issue with Aldi is you get to choose from 1 size of a product. Forget about deciding you want a large jar of something.
Haven't been back.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-11-2015, 08:28 PM   #34
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
I don't think my argument is flawed at all. Woolworths and Coles may stock their generic own brand products, but they also stock products from well known brands and manufacturers, giving the consumer a choice. At Aldi you don't get that choice - its their generic crap or nothing.
I generally keep away from home brand products unless its an absolute last resort, so your argument holds no relevance with me.
Shopping at Aldi is just another classic example of Australians shooting themselves in the foot. They are buying cheap crap from a foreign company that sends profits overseas, all in the name of saving a buck. It reminds me exactly of the way people deserted Australian made cars for cheap foreign crap, allowing the local industry to languish.
Sorry Tempted, you are still off the mark.

Profits may go overseas but they are still employing Australians contributing to the Australian tax system. They have limited 'name' brands. I see see Heinz soups and Streets Blue Ribbon ice-cream. There are a number of their lines that I find too salty (e.g. pre-packaged burrito kits) and buy these elsewhere.

Their bakehouse bread cannot be distinguished from Abbbots or Helgas.

And it is not as though Coles and Safeway are good corporate citizens anyway. Look how they have stuffed the fuel cycle and destroy any opposition in liquor sales. They treat their staff poorly too.

Now they want to sell home loans and credit cards. At least Aldi sticks (mainly) to retail sales.

As for the Australian car industry, we never should have had one with complete manufacture. We have always subsidised the industry and ended up paying too much for what we were getting. Component manufacture is where we should have (and should be) headed.

I know the last comment doesn't sit well with my passion for Aussie Fords, but who isn't inconistent from time-to-time?

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-11-2015, 08:51 PM   #35
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only reason we use Woolworths is for the FF points, so bye bye!!!!
DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2015, 10:18 PM   #36
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise View Post
Well there's an issue right there. Woolworths,Coles etc all have a policy. If it scans at the wrong ticketed price, you get that item for free! It has been that way for ages. Promotion, scam, extra points etc...the policy remains the same.

I would have argued the point and walked away with my free loaf of bread!

Cheers
Col
No Louise. The original price was $3.50. Its now priced at $5.50 so the scan was correct. Woolworths put it up $2 then allocate that extra $2 to your "rewards" and then give you your own money back later and tell you that you're getting a discount.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2015, 10:27 PM   #37
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I generally keep away from home brand products unless its an absolute last resort, so your argument holds no relevance with me.
I hate to break it to you, but you're wasting money!

Alot of 'home brand' products are infact identicle.

I used to work at a milk factory, which made the milk for Woolies, Coles, IGA etc. All the milk is identicle. All that changes, is the line stops for a minute, and new labels are stickered onto the bottles.

Pura Milk is the exact same as Woolies, coles, IGA, Foodland, and Drake, and also Home brand (which is sold alongside woolies/coles, and pura)). Likewise their Pura Skim was the same as the 'light' versions of all these brands.

Last edited by STEALTHY; 03-11-2015 at 10:54 PM.
STEALTHY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-11-2015, 10:32 PM   #38
qdda5

Just buy Australian made ffs.
You cant go wrong then regardless of who you shop with. Support Australia.... end of story
qdda5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2015, 10:35 PM   #39
carwant.com.au
carwant.com.au

The cards (fly buy or WW rewards) are a way for a company to gather consumer spend and trends. This is why you will receive email specials on products which you normally purchase, but maybe haven't purchased for a few weeks, or products which are complimentary to what you normally purchase.

Whilst it costs WW $100 million, the value to WW (of this type of consumer spend data) is much greater. This information also helps WW (or Coles) with product display, setting specials (and tricking us all into thinking we are grabbing a bargain) and ultimately increasing your 'share of grocery spend' with one supermarket.

So next time when you're thinking 'Oh great, this product is on special and i need to buy more'....it's not a coincidence, it's clever marketing!
carwant.com.au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-11-2015, 10:48 PM   #40
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
I don't think my argument is flawed at all. Woolworths and Coles may stock their generic own brand products, but they also stock products from well known brands and manufacturers, giving the consumer a choice. At Aldi you don't get that choice - its their generic crap or nothing.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-11-2015, 10:56 PM   #41
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81 View Post
This is basically what i was getting at, at least when it comes to milk!
Old 04-11-2015, 12:19 AM   #42
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise View Post
Well there's an issue right there. Woolworths,Coles etc all have a policy. If it scans at the wrong ticketed price, you get that item for free! It has been that way for ages. Promotion, scam, extra points etc...the policy remains the same.

I would have argued the point and walked away with my free loaf of bread!

Cheers
Col
It was probably ticketed correctly and no disrespect to the OP but if there are two prices shown on a ticket the customer will always automatically think they get it for the lesser price without reading the ticket.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:36 AM   #43
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun View Post
It was probably ticketed correctly and no disrespect to the OP but if there are two prices shown on a ticket the customer will always automatically think they get it for the lesser price without reading the ticket.
Please read post #39.
Before the new "rewards" system was introduced the item was ticketed at $3.50. Now its ticketed at $5.50. There is NO double price.
How many times do I have to explain this???
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2015, 01:17 AM   #44
nstg8a

I'd use Aldi more if they improved their customer service.

They never seem to have more than one or two checkouts open, and no express lane ever.

So I go in there to buy two or,three things get to the sole checkout operator to find half a dozen people in front of me with full trolleys...

It's a pity, because I like a lot,of their stuff. Except their razors. They're crap lol

Iga prices are higher partly because you're paying for longer trading hours.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2015, 08:38 AM   #45
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Please read post #39.
Before the new "rewards" system was introduced the item was ticketed at $3.50. Now its ticketed at $5.50. There is NO double price.
How many times do I have to explain this???
It'd be nice if you had a photo of the shelf tag. I grabbed a few things last night at woolies and one item had the price at $3.47 and the lower half of the ticket said 45c woolies dollars. It cost me $3:47 as expected not $3:92 which is what your explanation indicates.
Or are you saying that the bread was $3:50 last time you shopped but this time was $5:50. If this is the case, welcome to shopping. Prices change all the time. The bread I buy ranges in price from $3:50 to $5:50. I buy multiple loaves when it's cheaper and only 1 if it's dearer.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:24 PM   #46
MAD
Petro-sexual

Luckily for me there's a couple of locations near me with an Aldi located in the same complex as a Woolies, so I can get as much as possible from Aldi, then finish off at Woolies.

Aldi may be German owned, but they stock more Australian made stuff than either Coles or Woolies. If I'm buying stuff that is sourced from an Australian supplier with less stand-over tactics, then I'm a happy camper.
Aldi have rated highly in Choice magazine.

Coles/Woolies try to imitate higher priced brands with their own, then get rid of those brands from their shelves forcing you on to the one that gives the supplier the least amount of $$ for their work.
I purposely pay extra to avoid the Coles and Woolies brands, simply because of the tactics behind the prices.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:28 PM   #47
white lightning
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6turboford View Post
Can't wait for Aldi to open in SA only a few months to go as Woolworths prices a rip
Having experienced Aldi in another State, I will be surprised if you are happy buying cheap unadulterated shyte !!

http://www.modified ford club.com.au (make sure you remove the gaps first :-) (
white lightning is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2015, 04:02 PM   #48
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy View Post
Sorry Tempted, you are still off the mark.

Profits may go overseas but they are still employing Australians contributing to the Australian tax system.
Aldi is good for competition but I would never shop there because they spend 2% back on there work force, there workers are paid well they can do this because there staffing levels are very low.

Our big 2 spend coles and Woolies spend 8 to 9%, employ a lot more people in store and have staff who will answer a phone.
These stats are a couple of years old now and may have changed, if its about jobs stick with the big 2.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2015, 04:18 PM   #49
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Drinking, smoking, gambling and taking drugs are also a waste of money, but seeing as though I don't partake in any of these activities, I really have no qualms in spending a few extra dollars on my weekly shop for the peace of mind of knowing that the products I purchase are from a trusted brand with a high standard of quality, even if this is nothing more than a perception.
Since you like throwing money away, i'll PM you my bank details ;)

I'll be happy to spend any extra you clearly dont want
Old 04-11-2015, 08:32 PM   #50
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If only you knew how often this happens in Coles and Woolies. This isn't unique to Aldi and happens in every company that sells food, my last job was to handle the claims process that resulted from such events.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2015, 10:59 PM   #51
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old 04-11-2015, 11:10 PM   #52
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So when you go to the chemist to get meds for something and they ask you if you want branded or generic I suppose you pay $45 for the branded meds rather than $6.50 for the exact same tablet in a generic box?

Theres lots of people with your attitude, and all the power to you all. What ever makes you happy.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:14 PM   #53
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just wondering how many people here would be happy to use this stuff in their new/near new Fords/FPV's?

After all, the generic stuff is just as good because it is made on the same production line as the labelled stuff... right?
Actually, no, its not made on the same production line!

However, a vast majority of food/drink items are!

Once again, please send all your extra money you dont want, i'll gladly spend it for you!
Old 05-11-2015, 08:18 AM   #54
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
I hate to break it to you, but you're wasting money!

Alot of 'home brand' products are infact identicle.

I used to work at a milk factory, which made the milk for Woolies, Coles, IGA etc. All the milk is identicle. All that changes, is the line stops for a minute, and new labels are stickered onto the bottles.

Pura Milk is the exact same as Woolies, coles, IGA, Foodland, and Drake, and also Home brand (which is sold alongside woolies/coles, and pura)). Likewise their Pura Skim was the same as the 'light' versions of all these brands.
Obviously the same doesn't apply to the 2litre bottles of flavored milk. The woolies branded strawberry and iced coffee do not taste anywhere as nice as the Moove strawberry or Dare coffee drinks.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:46 PM   #55
STEALTHY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilcv8 View Post
Obviously the same doesn't apply to the 2litre bottles of flavored milk. The woolies branded strawberry and iced coffee do not taste anywhere as nice as the Moove strawberry or Dare coffee drinks.
My work didn't make woolies flavoured milks (i'm ot even sure they had them back then). But i'd guess they wouldn't be allowed to be the same, as they have their own recipies.

Try Farmers Union IC and Pura Classic Stawberry, you'll never drink anything else after that ;)
Old 05-11-2015, 01:19 PM   #56
MAD
Petro-sexual

Those 'private labels' are absolutely horrible

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/201...auhpmg00000002
Old 05-11-2015, 02:40 PM   #57
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
No Louise. The original price was $3.50. Its now priced at $5.50 so the scan was correct. Woolworths put it up $2 then allocate that extra $2 to your "rewards" and then give you your own money back later and tell you that you're getting a discount.
I went in to woolworths yesterday and got two 2032 energizer battery's it said $6.50 and I went through the do it your self rubbish and got charged $8.50 for it and it did not give me a recite, so I thought to hell with it, why cause a fuss.
I will be on to them now.

All this new age scaming crap has to go ! it's a disgrace.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2015, 04:29 PM   #58
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD View Post
Those 'private labels' are absolutely horrible

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/201...auhpmg00000002

I was buying $15-20 bottles of red for my bolognese sauce because I was told ''if you won't drink it then don't cook with it''.... and seeing that I don't drink wine I knew none the wiser.

My plonk-head friends have been buying the 2 Litre Aldi red wine cask that's Australian made for only $9.99. They still drink it and now I cook with it - and one of them spends decent coin on scotch, so he's not drinking the Aldi wine because he's forced too.

Aldi have changed. When I first walked into a store ages ago, I thought I was in a dog-box - Dark, dirty, boxes everywhere, and most of the products were direct imports. Now I see plenty that are locally sourced, and even more coming from New Zealand (Kiwis still own most of their companies?).

I shop at all four competitors too. I also try and go to a hot bread shop, green grocer and butcher when I can (plenty of variables here) to spread my business around - but my shopping is generally based around specials.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2015, 11:12 PM   #59
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
If only you knew how often this happens in Coles and Woolies. This isn't unique to Aldi and happens in every company that sells food, my last job was to handle the claims process that resulted from such events.
I worked night fill at Coles in my teens.

Worked one night in the cereal aisle and was packing rolled oats. First step was to prep the stock on the shelf. I found a bag that had been sitting there all day (probably packed the night before) that was weevil packed. It was like it was half full of flour. To me it was obvious but I guess the chap that put it there the night before must have missed it.

Also, remember that many products on the shelf can be tampered with. I caught dozens of people in my section and others that would taste test stock then close it and return it to the shelf! This happens VERY often.

Then there are the customers that raid the pantry of out if date food, buy another then use the receipt to return the old stock. A month ago I was buying 24 diet coke on special and was shocked to find a case that had expired Feb last year. Coke is a top 10 seller so how did that happen?

Working in retail exposes you to all walks of life.... as for foreign objects found in processed food? The percentage must be .000000001% of all manufactured food when you crunch the numbers.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2015, 12:02 AM   #60
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
I worked night fill at Coles in my teens.

Worked one night in the cereal aisle and was packing rolled oats. First step was to prep the stock on the shelf. I found a bag that had been sitting there all day (probably packed the night before) that was weevil packed. It was like it was half full of flour. To me it was obvious but I guess the chap that put it there the night before must have missed it.

Also, remember that many products on the shelf can be tampered with. I caught dozens of people in my section and others that would taste test stock then close it and return it to the shelf! This happens VERY often.

Then there are the customers that raid the pantry of out if date food, buy another then use the receipt to return the old stock. A month ago I was buying 24 diet coke on special and was shocked to find a case that had expired Feb last year. Coke is a top 10 seller so how did that happen?

Working in retail exposes you to all walks of life.... as for foreign objects found in processed food? The percentage must be .000000001% of all manufactured food when you crunch the numbers.
Weevil infestations is the one thing I do not miss. the only good thing about it was it was a simple case of count and dump so was simple from that sense, but just a pain to sort through everything.

And yeah, retail opened my eyes to the whole world in my time there. It's kind of scary to think that there's people out there that can barely wipe their own bum but share the roads with us.