Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-04-2006, 10:39 PM   #31
GTP-814
love the quad cams

so only hi performance cars need limiters, I've seen a camry up to 170..very scary, an sigma up to 160 & these are not performance cars but can still kill at 90k.

most of the accidents this easter were on country roads again unfortunately & caused by inexperienced drivers. There should be a limit on KW per age of driver just like bikes do.

also, just remember the road toll is down on last year, not saying that lives are expendable, but be realistic. How many people died from lung cancer this easter
GTP-814 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 10:55 PM   #32
FPV GT
I Like To Shake It

Sure there are a lot of reasons why there are deaths on the road.
The scare monsters sprout speed and youth / inexperience to us.

I do not see any sprouting of one of the major contributing factors......
The appalling conditions of a number of our major roads.

It would be interesting to find out the condition of the roads where these latest fataliites occured.
Sure speed is a factor, but it is a contributing factor.
They tell us "If the speed was lower the accident may not have occured, or have been as serious."
Well the same comment goes for the state of the road.

Driver education also is very lax, and this maybe an area where they should re-visit

Regards
Paul

2016 S550 TY GT Coupe....some loud bits and some glass bits

I like My GT SHAKEN, and Blown
Happiness is a TY S550, a 1911 semi automatic, and the Lovey Lizzie by my side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely Lizzie
whilst looking at man riding a pee wee 50
"That sure does nothing for his masculinity"
FPV GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 11:03 PM   #33
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No-one ever mentions accidents caused by driver frustration due to those ИИИИwits who drive WELL BELOW the speed limit, usually in the fast lane. Oh that's right, the accident was caused by the speeding overtaker, sorry.
WILDTRAKPX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 11:03 PM   #34
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally, I'd like to see the statistics compared to the volume of cars now on the road...

More road users is always going to mean more accidents, but if it was expressed as a percentage, we could see if we were actually improving on the 90's, 80's, 70's....
Old 18-04-2006, 11:11 PM   #35
MAFIA
Grange killer!!!!

BAN LOW PERFORMANCE DRIVERS NOT HIGH PERFORMANCE CARS!!

Amen

INSURED BY MAFIA. YOU HIT US, WE KILL YOU!

FORD FTE AU T-SERIES CLUB OF AUSTRALIA
www.tseriesclub.org
MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 11:12 PM   #36
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Speed kills so stop taking it!!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 11:26 PM   #37
fmc351
let it burn

Forget speed, plenty *cough drivers cant handle the car, let the satelite drive for em too. Yeah that would feel safe, cyber reliability is a certainty.

Insert paperclip help tool here.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 11:53 PM   #38
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

But if the system "crashed", it really would be a Blue screen of Death!

But, thing i find funny, is QLD had 2 fatalities, with all its long roads etc, and non gestapo policing, while lil old Vic had 4 (i'm going off of the scores as of monday evening), gestapo-pol and all.
Old 19-04-2006, 12:21 AM   #39
xd5.8l
Banned

Restricted to 120 kmh? Is the goverment mad! The appocalypse is upon us hoonsters.
xd5.8l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 12:23 AM   #40
chief
FTF Club Moderator

What a piece of crap. It is a knee jerk reaction. Look at what happened after the movie Jaws. A shark killed someone therefore all sharks are bad because they have the potential to kill. Neither do these minorites that stuff it up for the rest of us. They end on TT and ACA and then everyone has to suffer.

edit: By the way when I say minorities I mean the people that ruin it for the rest of us. Not Middle Easterners.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/

Last edited by chief; 19-04-2006 at 12:24 AM. Reason: clarifying
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 12:38 AM   #41
HLC
Audi S3

limited to 120? sounds good to me. at least i wont get done for doing more than 10 over on the motorway :
Old 19-04-2006, 01:57 AM   #42
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

This is NOT the doing of the NSW Government.

It IS the head of the NSW Police Traffic Branch wishing to implement the 120km/h proposal, he has the support of Paul Gibson of Staysafe and that is that.

NSW will not legislate this and it is right our Transport Minister has stated so. YES a state can do these things, in the same manner as WA did with engine immobilizers, so forcing an ADR on the issue.

The Commonwealth back in 2004 knocked stone dead, any such proposal. It is right the then deputy PM John Anderson did so.

NSW Police who state 'they have run out of ideas' are advised to resign from their positions and consider other employment alternatives. Leave this comprehensive field for those of us "who can" improve things, I for one detest 'the backward and inefficient' in government agencies who hold up genuine progress.

Stay away from engineering and motor manufacturing, and stick to your public service employment criteria in the enforcement of traffic law AS PASSED BY PARLIAMENT.

IF you wish to go to Europe or the UN to discuss the matter with experts on the various 'working parties', DO be prepared to be rightly 'ignored', the idea was killed off many many years ago in that arena.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 06:54 AM   #43
The Monty
Just slidin'

Like has been stated, why only high performance cars? A Daihatsu Charade I know does 200, A 10 year old camry will do 200, my car only does 180, but because its modified (I wouldnt call it High performance just yet), its the most dangerous, therefore it should be speed limited. Thats ok, I now know that I can go through a school zone at 120, because my car is limited to a safe speed to stop deaths on the road. Wake up whoever is trying to implement those rules. Also, if a cop is going to try and catch someone who is doing 120, and the police themselves are limited to 120, its going to be a long chase, but at least no-one will die. :
:
Old 19-04-2006, 09:52 AM   #44
AnthonyQLD
Boss power

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd5.8l
Restricted to 120 kmh? Is the goverment mad! The appocalypse is upon us hoonsters.
It would make overtaking interesting:
Old 19-04-2006, 10:32 AM   #45
Dav0
"Saddam your sooo emo"-JH

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyQLD
It would make overtaking interesting:
seriously dude, if you need to do 120+ to overtake than it wasnt safe in the first place :
Dav0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 10:46 AM   #46
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

This sort of idiotic policy didn't work with alcohol, is not working with guns and will never work with cars. The few bleeding heart morons that are intitating this push should be put out to pasture in the Iraq country side. I am fed up with the media jumping on board and creating the frenzy they do. I think we need some big news story to come on board and blow this rubbish away. Since the games nothing news worthy has happened. The Herald Sun has been thin and the tv news vague..............
Old 19-04-2006, 11:12 AM   #47
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

The 4 fatalities that happened in QLD over Easter holidays, three of them were pedestrians.

Should we stick speed limiters on people who can't cross the road properly? What about a electric shock coller if you set foot on the road when the little man is red?

I hear the same ИИИИ everyday here about motherИИИИers who want speed limits dropped and high performance cars banned because some dumb motherИИИИer doesn't know what he is doing behind the wheel of a car, or doesn't know how to cross the road on foot and gets cleaned up by your everyday family man.

I'm sick and ИИИИin tired of hearing about how we should slow down and be more courteous for every other bastard on the road. Why in the blue hell should we do that for other people when they cannot do it for us?
Old 19-04-2006, 11:29 AM   #48
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just ignore the our government!

Higher speeds are safer, so the italian goverment says. Drivers concentrate rather than doze off or fidddle with things in their cars like mobile phones, radios,..... I'll take their opinion :-)
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 12:09 PM   #49
Bax
Projecting

Is this thread a joke. What kind of attitudes do we have here. The government is talking about putting speed limiters on at 120-180, not sure what the final figure was. But either way its over the speed limit.

Keeping in mind that those speeds are all over the limit, why are we complaining, we should technically never see those speeds on an open road. As soon as we're restricted from doing something illegal, we all complain? Why?
Bax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 12:11 PM   #50
Dav0

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
Just ignore the our government!

Higher speeds are safer, so the italian goverment says. Drivers concentrate rather than doze off or fidddle with things in their cars like mobile phones, radios,..... I'll take their opinion :-)
you get pulled over by the boys in blue for speeding and as he/she asks why you were speeding you say that the italians said you were safer :
Old 19-04-2006, 12:36 PM   #51
Dav0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax
Is this thread a joke. What kind of attitudes do we have here. The government is talking about putting speed limiters on at 120-180, not sure what the final figure was. But either way its over the speed limit.

Keeping in mind that those speeds are all over the limit, why are we complaining, we should technically never see those speeds on an open road. As soon as we're restricted from doing something illegal, we all complain? Why?
youve got to be kidding.....most of the people on here that have replied like to go drag racing at dragstrips or curcuit racing to see how fast they can go etc. now if they do bring in speedlimiters everyone will be like YEAH lets all race upto 120kph, seriously dude people modify cars to go fast and 99.9% of them find out how fast their car is on a strip or curcuit not the main highway/motorway, thats why people are ИИИИed off.....
Old 19-04-2006, 01:12 PM   #52
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUII_SE_Ute
The 4 fatalities that happened in QLD over Easter holidays, three of them were pedestrians. The one in Townsville was a 70+ yr old lady on the footpath, car doing 100 in a 50. You wanna try again? Secondly, just because someones dumb enough to step on the road without looking, doesnt justify the drivers speed and make him innocent.

Should we stick speed limiters on people who can't cross the road properly? What about a electric shock coller if you set foot on the road when the little man is red?

I hear the same ИИИИ everyday here about motherИИИИers who want speed limits dropped and high performance cars banned because some dumb motherИИИИer doesn't know what he is doing behind the wheel of a car, or doesn't know how to cross the road on foot and gets cleaned up by your everyday family man. You tell us how we decide who is and who isnt a good driver. Who is the judge? Who appoints the judge; performance enthusiasts, church groups, politicians, the 1000 people surveyed? This is the kind of 5hit that will get these laws through. Step away from the bong. Its true the public kneejerk when something shocking happens, but that attitude aint gonna help.

I'm sick and ИИИИin tired of hearing about how we should slow down and be more courteous for every other bastard on the road. Why in the blue hell should we do that for other people when they cannot do it for us?
We do it because its right. Its doesnt give the impression that all enthusiasts are morons. You keep competing for that same inch of black stuff.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 01:48 PM   #53
wicksy
Just a bogan VF SS driver

god i am sick of this speed limiting crap, what if your trying to overtake a road train or
A-B triple and u get too 120 and u think you have a clear open strectch then when half way through overtakeing you see a car coming
wicksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 01:51 PM   #54
LTDHO
The one and only

Guys, relax.
It is just another knee jerk reaction by our government.
Anyone with 1/2 a brain or more knows it will not help or save lives.

How many fatalities are over 120kph and are not suicide?
You will find most are not accidents!!!!!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 01:54 PM   #55
rapidxr6
AS IT SAYS.....

There's a few things that interest me in this thread..
Who will end up paying for the said "new speed limiter"? We will of course.
Will it save lives? Hell no!
I think we can all understand where the pollies are coming from on this topic, we might not like it (indeed i am one of them) but i agree that someting do's HAS to be done to curve the driving behaviours of a minority that has ruined it for all. I just don't see how they could police such a thing 'fitted' to a vehicle. If you can bolt it on, you can un-bolt it.
I strongly believe drivers education is the only answer, via advanced/defensive driving courses.
There are plenty of places & events in Australia where you can legally 'stretch the legs' of your ride. Use them not our public roads!!!
rapidxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 02:31 PM   #56
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
Secondly, just because someones dumb enough to step on the road without looking doesnt justify the drivers speed and make him innocent.
When you step on the road, do you think two white painted lines are going to save your life? No matter what speed anyone is going, they're not life saving items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
You tell us how we decide who is and who isnt a good driver
Two ways I think this will determine good drivers...

(Learners wanting to go onto Provisional) - Do two driving tests instead of one, with two different testers, an hour or so after the first one. Traffic conditions could have changed in that hour, and who says they could safely get home without having an accident? If they only pass one, too bad.

(Provisional wanting to go Open) - Take another driving test after they have done the provisional period. As above, if they fail, too bad.

I think advanced driver training should also be taken in that provisional period.

However, after saying that, instead of governments using shock tactics to scare people into obeying the speedo, why don't they help subsidise costs of doing an advanced drivers course? I enquired into doing a course at the Holden Performance Driving Centre and was ready to book myself in until I found out the price. IIRC, it was around $350 for one day.

Last edited by TheSneakiness; 19-04-2006 at 02:43 PM.
TheSneakiness is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 02:42 PM   #57
NXT51
not a ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper
I'm a law abiding citizen who travels at 10kph under the limit at all times and would never dream of exceeding the posted limit for fear of spontaniuosly combusting. While I'm 10kph under the limit I am untouchable. I can pull out infront of Prime movers, drive through 4 ft of water, use the median strip as an extra lane, its all good, I'm perfectly safe, I'm under the speed limit, just ask the Bracks government.

Oh look, a pig just flew by..............
Amen to that!!
Some examples of the most dangerous people in my opinion, that I come near, are: a) those that change lanes without checking who's there; b) those drive around 30-40 in a 60 zone, constantly tapping their brakes at illogical times; c) those breaking basic road rules like giving way or idiots reversing across both directional lanes because they changed their minds about turning down a particular road.

Travelling under the speed limit does not protect anyone - it should be a guide only. I'd rather drive on a road where people are driving to the conditions and are alert than a road where people are not concentrating on the road because they're checking their speedo every 2 seconds.

my 2c

My crew: www.nxcoupe.com
NXT51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 02:44 PM   #58
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXT51
Some examples of the most dangerous people in my opinion, that I come near, are: a) those that change lanes without checking who's there; b) those drive around 30-40 in a 60 zone, constantly tapping their brakes at illogical times; c) those breaking basic road rules like giving way or idiots reversing across both directional lanes because they changed their minds about turning down a particular road.

Travelling under the speed limit does not protect anyone - it should be a guide only. I'd rather drive on a road where people are driving to the conditions and are alert than a road where people are not concentrating on the road because they're checking their speedo every 2 seconds.

my 2c
Couldn't have said it better.
Old 19-04-2006, 02:47 PM   #59
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Speeding does not = exceeding posted speed limit
Speeding = exceeding a speed which is responsible for a particular situation.

Its a shame that we have to make laws for the lowest common denominator.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 02:59 PM   #60
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

*Sigh*

What is the point of even discussing this?

I think for the millions of kms covered by people each day out there in our massive country we are not doing that badly considering we are driving at speeds the human body was not designed to travel, surrounded by glass, metal and other pointy stuff! Add into that equation the amount of idiots out there who couldn't drive a nail into hot ИИИИ and I think we are not doing too badly.

To even consider putting a 120km/h limit on a car is ridiculous. When I am overtaking I don't care how much time I have, I want to get the HELL off the otherside of the road ASAP, hence doing a bit over 120km/h!

Bah!

I would love to see other stats on how people die and compare them to the road toll. I wonder how many people die a year from smoking related illnesses? What next? Ban cigarettes because they kill too?
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post