Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-03-2006, 09:35 AM   #31
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsabre
Honestly now the hell can a manufacturer release such a death trap on the market and be allowed to get away with it. Can someone answer that for me please....

Easy .... In the end it all equals '$ money money money $' . U'de be suprised how crashes keep car insurance companys, car repairers , spray painters etc etc etc all in business, it's all tied together in the end.
I remember years ago when i was a kid watching the tv show "Towards 2000", some bloke came up with a use for old tyres (as they weren't recycable and were piling up big time) , his simple idea was chop them up into bits and use them in the bits in the road surface to improve grip. Tests were done doing this and it showed tyres lasted waaaaaaaaaaaay longer , the car stoped like nothing you have seen before ! ..lol , even in the wet ! . It had nothing but positive effects yet in the end the governments blocked it because to many companys /businesses would go broke from the gains made by using old rubber from tyres in the road surface.

Now what does that tell ya ? !!! .. :lookedat:
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 01:18 PM   #32
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Ahh memories, I remember back then the TV show Beyond 2000 or towards 2000 and I even remember thinking Amanda Keller was hot.
Man I'm old.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 01:21 PM   #33
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc-007
Spend the extra money and buy something decent.. pfft holden you jokers
Fiesta... rock solid, German made, no questions over quality or safety... and it's only a full set of tyres more expensive than a Barina... :togo:
Old 01-03-2006, 01:29 PM   #34
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Ahh memories, I remember back then the TV show Beyond 2000 or towards 2000 and I even remember thinking Amanda Keller was hot.
Man I'm old.
OMG :O ...lol , you remembered her name , gee you must have liked her ! . Daisy from the Dukes of Hazard was my favourite in those days ..lol

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 10:47 PM   #35
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
...because it well sell on price... although calling it a death trap is a little extreme. Will be interesting if the mags Wheels and Motor pick up on this as well as the local newspapers and a damn shame that Ford won't use this in a marketing campaign pushing the Fiesta...a bit like letting the weight gain stories engulf the BA launch while completely failing to push the fact the car was engineered for a 80km/hr rear-end shunt way ahead of any ADR's requiring such a thing and hence making the car far safer then anything locally produced.
The Age picked it up in todays paper. The overall rating was two stars. Thats scary. But I have seen a few on the road.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2006, 12:28 AM   #36
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Similarly the RACV Royalauto compared the new Barina & Getz, they preferred the Getz.

If Holden is sooking that the test was misrepresentative (it is possible with a one-off test) perhaps they would like to test the car again or make public some of their own testing.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2006, 09:00 PM   #37
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Or perhaps realise that the rest of the world uses Euro NCAP and seems to quite happily boast about 4 and 5 star ratings.... If Arsestra got 5 stars they'd hardly ИИИИИ about it. Truth is, they have to be defending themselves, they simply can't support it at one end and reject it at the other, there is not an ounce of credibility in an argument like that. They're just getting burnt with every step they take. Maybe we should heat the coals up some more.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:43 PM   #38
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
Similarly the RACV Royalauto compared the new Barina & Getz, they preferred the Getz.

If Holden is sooking that the test was misrepresentative (it is possible with a one-off test) perhaps they would like to test the car again or make public some of their own testing.

AND still it (Barina) sells well, people at large really do not take a large amount of notice of 'motoring magazines' or motoring related sites.

They 'know' of the subjects - sort of, but really aren't 'that' interested, feeling government will look after safety matters whilst they go about their daily lives.

Remember the old "Beep beep" Barina ads? Had people asking if the horns sounded the same as 'that cute' road-runner.

Anyhow, its cheap, but arguably less safe in standard equipment and the test results.

See Vogue forums et al or Essential baby to appreciate "women's" understanding of cars, it's a male-thing anyhow. REM women make up over 50% of private buyers now.

Marketing is everything.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2006, 10:55 PM   #39
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
OMG :O ...lol , you remembered her name , gee you must have liked her ! . Daisy from the Dukes of Hazard was my favourite in those days ..lol
Yeah Daisy did it for me too.

I've seen Amanda lately and lets just say; "she aint what she used to be".

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 12:41 AM   #40
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

I realise that 100% Keepleft, not to mention that plenty of people will buy it who would not have considered the car at all while it wore Daewoo badges, for all the reasons that still apply... It is one thing to be an uneducated buyer when you are looking at a toaster or a kettle (for example), entirely another thing when looking at a machine you effectively entrust with your life.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:16 AM   #41
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
I realise that 100% Keepleft, not to mention that plenty of people will buy it who would not have considered the car at all while it wore Daewoo badges, for all the reasons that still apply... It is one thing to be an uneducated buyer when you are looking at a toaster or a kettle (for example), entirely another thing when looking at a machine you effectively entrust with your life.
Correct, we need a decent road test progroam on TV again. Not the dribble Aust. has been producing, but something similar to the pommy programs. Don't pull the punches and let the cards fall where they may....

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 09:23 AM   #42
MADDER
FF.com.au SAAB Driver

An article was in Drive in The Age on Wednesday. Jason Laird arrogant suck from GM Holden is saying the testing is flawed because EuroNCAP tests only one car where as GM "tests a whole lot more than one car".

Well you bloody idiot, the customer only buys one car, the customer doesn't have multiple chances to have a head-on in multiple cars, expecially if they're driving a Barina! Even If this one car is a glitch indicative of the minimum quality resulting from GM's intensive testing regime I am going to make sure that no-one in my extended family of 60 is going to get one!

What's ironic is that at the same time the car guides are publishing this article about the Chevrolet Aveo they're are also trumpeting the arrival of the Barina sedan which is the equivalent as the AVeo tested was also a sedan. Check the photos I linked to earlier and you will see how it folds up. Clearly being re-engineered as a sedan has done nothing for the rigidity.

In any case GM/Daewoo are apparently putting pressure on EuroNCAP for a retest. Arrogant pricks! :the_finge

Now = 2006 SAAB 9-3 SportCombi with Heated Seats
MADDER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 09:32 AM   #43
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

If they do a retest they would need to be very careful where they get the car from then! If they take one offered by GM what is the bet it has more than a few extra spot welds...
Old 08-03-2006, 02:18 PM   #44
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Another scary fact;

The test vehicle had side air bags & ABS, Holden do not offer side air bags & ABS is an optional extra.
http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/article.aspx?id=11187
Quote:
Barina sedans sold in Australia are unlikely to perform as well in a side impact test because they lack the side airbags (with added head protection) fitted to the European-specified car tested by Euro NCAP.

The European Aveo also has anti-lock brakes fitted as standard equipment. It is an extra-cost option on Australian Barinas. Braking performance is not taken into account in the NCAP crash tests.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 11:00 PM   #45
Falcon Freak
Banned

Australian NCAP tested the Daewoo Barina and it again scored 2 stars out of 5.

Click here for latest GoAuto e-news

The superceded Opel manufactured Barina received 4 stars out of 5 for the same test. Enough said.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 10:04 AM   #46
XRchic
Hello

I bought a 1999 Festiva, as new. Drove it for 4 years until I bought the current car. Had my two kids in it and travelled interstate many times in it. It was probably a dangerous POS as well, no airbags etc. Probably no better than the Daewoo Barina. I knew it wasnt the safest car going around, at the time I bought it, but finances prevented me from getting anything much better. And it was a better option than the old POS Sigma I was driving/traded in that broke down every second week...

Having said that, there was nothing remotely in the same price bracket (ie within $5K or so) that was much better, back in 1999. Times have changed.

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 12:04 PM   #47
Danny
GT4.

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safe...?id1=1&id2=141

Have they ever! Further to Zetec's comment above, this is what you can have for a little more premium than the Holden Deawoo Lovechild.

The Fiesta scores right up the top with and equal to Audi A2, Citroen C3 Pluriel, Volkswagen Polo, BMW Mini Cooper, Honda Jazz, and Mazda 2.

Safety comes first for me, too bad most people who'd buy a car like Barina wouldnt even know who ANCAP or what a crash rating was.... Holden clearly preying on the ignorant here.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 12:15 PM   #48
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
They'll market it as safe because it has 2 airbags.
Typical marketing for Holden.
The airbags could go off at any second too I bet!
Old 10-05-2006, 12:18 PM   #49
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

With the ever increasing focus on safety, you would think Holden would be a bit smarter than this! But nothing surprises me...
Old 10-05-2006, 01:23 PM   #50
blackahcdx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Actually, I was talking about the new Opel Corsa, which is a rebadged Fiat Punto.

GM once owned Fiat and shelled $2 billion to get out of the deal. Fiat's going down at a faster rate then GM is, so its understandable why they wanted out.

GM supplies Fiat with engines, including HFV6 which is built as a 3.2litre in Melbourne and then shipped off to Italy to be stuck in the engine bays of new Alfa Romeo's.

Thats's like saying the Ford Focus is a re-badged Mazda 3.

Neither statement is true, they share a platform and some engines, but the rest is different, just like the Mazda 3/Ford Focus/Volvo S/V 40

This is the new barina we should have got:

blackahcdx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 04:29 PM   #51
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It got slated in the NZ Herald today too, this was Holdens response _

Quote:
Brodie McClellan, Holden NZ corporate affairs manager, said the new Barina had undergone similar tests in the US and had received a five-star rating.

"While we are disappointed with the results, Ancap is only one measure of safety performance."

All Holden vehicles met strict Australian and New Zealand safety standards and the Barina came from a family that had sold 800,000 vehicles in 95 countries.
Anyone who buys this knowingly deserves it :
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 07:40 PM   #52
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darran
The airbags could go off at any second too I bet!
I had the Opel version of the Barina. Apart from many other problems the airbags failed one month after the warranty expired - cost of work just under $2000. I went to town on it and Holden paid for it. They got their revenge later when the wheel bearings collapsed, the radiator failed and the engine ingested the cooling system and ran on oily water.

Love Holden (not). The new Barina must have been selected to show their appreciation of their customers' safety. Haven't seen many cars that the NSW RTA chief has issued a public warning about (Daily Telegraph yesterday).
Old 10-05-2006, 09:22 PM   #53
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

What? Has everyone forgot about this??? : http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...ford%20courier
Dancing with the stars
Old 10-05-2006, 09:38 PM   #54
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Typical - a Holden owner posts that.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:25 PM   #55
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Typical a ford owner response that;)
Old 10-05-2006, 10:29 PM   #56
zetec
Zoom Zoom

My sister has an old Opel Barina, it is honestly a joke how much she has replaced/need to replace on that thing, it's criminal. Less than 4 years old too. Biggest piece of rubbish we've ever owned, definitely the last Holden in the family. Every Holden we've owned has been a heap, the VB Commodore which got sold almost immediately after purchase it was that bad, the Gemini that died a long painful death, then great Fords for decades, then the Barina for some stupid reason.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:55 PM   #57
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Well you know everyone has a story to tell from both sides like that.
We have owned Mazda's, Chev's, Toyota's, Minni's, Mitsubishi's,
My sister drives a Proton Gen-2 it's a total crap car, But if you take my word on it no-one would ever buy one, But there is more then meets the eye;). It in-fact is a overseas proton problem of not checking cars after they have been built, Then not having them checked here also. So this ends up being every problem every gremlin in them cars is sold with it as is, Now they don't do that anymore and guess what they have some very good cars now, But if anyone listen to me they would swipe them off there list for good.
5 Months ago i was at a proton repair dealership and they had 5 brand-new Protons getting fixed with 3k's on the clock. thats bad. Lucky they seem to fix these problems before they sell them now.
But with me only 2 cars come to mind and thats the 10 year VB we had a now the VP, Both have been good enough to us so we can continue to by Commodores, As much as i feel safe with my choice as it's done me no wrong, You feel unsafe with them as it's done you nothing but harm.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:02 PM   #58
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Typical - a Holden owner posts that.
Don't feed the trolls.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2006, 11:04 PM   #59
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
Don't feed the trolls.

FF
That was uncalled for he doesn't know anyone in your family:P
Old 10-05-2006, 11:07 PM   #60
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
That was uncalled for he doesn't know anyone in your family:P
Four posts in this thread with no mention of the topic ?

Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post