Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-06-2005, 07:15 PM   #31
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbutler
Im not an expert on english, but I have noticed that people dont, or never did well at english at school, why do people drop the L of the end of some words??
:
I absolutely agree with you,the problem is that the younger generation are all talking like that on MSN Messenger or SMS on the mobil phones by abbreviation and taking short cuts.
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2005, 07:30 PM   #32
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AARRG I absolutely hate the way Americans are killing the English language. Today I was reading some posts on American forums about the US Grand Prix and they kept on referring to tyres as "tires," even a rep from Michellin was spelling it that way. I thought I must have been going nuts so I went to www.dictionary.com (an American dictionary site) and did a search for "tyre" which is defined as;

tyre n. Chiefly British
Variant of tire.

What the dickens?! Tyre is NOT a variant of tire, rather tire is a variant of the Chiefly British "tyre." Let's not forget who the fricken language is named after!!

I was pretty incensed by this so I did a search for "colour," which they refer to as a variant of "color"!!! ARG!! This one is also Chiefly British. Stupid Americans. So from now on I am never visiting dictionary.com when I need to look words up, rather I will stick with http://www.askoxford.com !!

Oh yeah I almost forgot. I was having a similar conversation with my brother today and he told me that alot of people (surprisingly, predominantly Americans) have actually started to use the word "thru" as if it were a real word and not just a lazy abreviation of the word "through," or less commonly "threw." Being a natural cynic I thought he must have been full of crap but I looked it up on dictionary.com and to my horror a search for "thru" turned up a positive result!!! Sure it refers to the word as "informal" but in my opinion it is not an acceptable word to use in everyday writing and most certainly should not be included in an English dictionary. Unfortauntely askoxford.com also turned up a positive result, but made it quite clear that the word is chiefly US. Damn Americans!! Stop killing our language!!

Even when I send my mates text messages on my cellphone I make it an important point to write words out in full, even if it means sending two messages. Unfortunately none of them share the sentiment.

Edit- Oops, almost forgot the one American-ized word that ****es me off more than anything the idiot Americans have done to date. Observe the following definitions taken from (the American) http://www.dictionary.com and tell me what is wrong with this picture.

a·lu·mi·num n. Symbol Al
A silvery-white, ductile metallic element, the most abundant in the earth's crust but found only in combination, chiefly in bauxite. Having good conductive and thermal properties, it is used to form many hard, light, corrosion-resistant alloys. Atomic number 13; atomic weight 26.98; melting point 660.2°C; boiling point 2,467°C; specific gravity 2.69; valence 3. See table at element.

al·u·min·i·um n. Chiefly British
Variant of aluminum.

Last edited by Mike Gayner; 27-06-2005 at 07:36 PM.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2005, 07:38 PM   #33
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP 320
I absolutely agree with you,the problem is that the younger generation are all talking like that on MSN Messenger or SMS on the mobil phones by abbreviation and taking short cuts.
Cheers John
Ahhh, MSN has taught me to type as accurately and quickly as i do now lol. I always go back and edit any mistakes i make, the only abbreviatons I use are things like lol or brb simply because its easier and makes more sense than sitting there and typing something like "oh ha ha i am laughing out loud right now".
Old 27-06-2005, 07:40 PM   #34
Paris Hilton
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner
AARRG I absolutely hate the way Americans are killing the English language. Today I was reading some posts on American forums about the US Grand Prix and they kept on referring to tyres as "tires," even a rep from Michellin was spelling it that way. I thought I must have been going nuts so I went to www.dictionary.com (an American dictionary site) and did a search for "tyre" which is defined as;

tyre n. Chiefly British
Variant of tire.

What the dickens?! Tyre is NOT a variant of tire, rather tire is a variant of the Chiefly British "tyre." Let's not forget who the fricken language is named after!!

I was pretty incensed by this so I did a search for "colour," which they refer to as a variant of "color"!!! ARG!! This one is also Chiefly British. Stupid Americans. So from now on I am never visiting dictionary.com when I need to look words up, rather I will stick with http://www.askoxford.com !!

Oh yeah I almost forgot. I was having a similar conversation with my brother today and he told me that alot of people (surprisingly, predominantly Americans) have actually started to use the word "thru" as if it were a real word and not just a lazy abreviation of the word "through," or less commonly "threw." Being a natural cynic I thought he must have been full of crap but I looked it up on dictionary.com and to my horror a search for "thru" turned up a positive result!!! Sure it refers to the word as "informal" but in my opinion it is not an acceptable word to use in everyday writing and most certainly should not be included in an English dictionary. Unfortauntely askoxford.com also turned up a positive result, but made it quite clear that the word is chiefly US. Damn Americans!! Stop killing our language!!

Even when I send my mates text messages on my cellphone I make it an important point to write words out in full, even if it means sending two messages. Unfortunately none of them share the sentiment.

Edit- Oops, almost forgot the one American-ized word that ****es me off more than anything the idiot Americans have done to date. Observe the following definitions taken from (the American) http://www.dictionary.com and tell me what is wrong with this picture.

a·lu·mi·num n. Symbol Al
A silvery-white, ductile metallic element, the most abundant in the earth's crust but found only in combination, chiefly in bauxite. Having good conductive and thermal properties, it is used to form many hard, light, corrosion-resistant alloys. Atomic number 13; atomic weight 26.98; melting point 660.2°C; boiling point 2,467°C; specific gravity 2.69; valence 3. See table at element.

al·u·min·i·um n. Chiefly British
Variant of aluminum.

Couldn't agree more. Most self centered, ignorant people I know of. (I know it's a generalisation, but it's not thier fault, it is thier media.)
Paris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2005, 07:41 PM   #35
Jamie XR6
3FB Detailing Tragic

From what I understand, the Americans dropped the u from their spelling not long after the war of independence.

Before that, the British and the French were fighting over possession of the North American Continent, including Canada.

The u was dropped (color, labor, etc) to de-French the language as well as to change it from the hated British and their English.

You have to remember, as much as Bush and his buddy Howard want to Americanise the world, the are still a very insulated population. They honestly believe that tyre is a variant of tire. It's the way they were brought up.
03 BA XR6T, Black, T5, Unichip tuned by Autotech Engineering (235.5 rwkW), BPT short shifter, Custom Leather, 18" rims, PBR sports calipers, Lowered, Tint, duel CAI & BMC filter, AWC bits, custom stripes.

My Website
Jamie XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2005, 07:43 PM   #36
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

Boy I thought it was only me that felt[fewt] this way...

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2005, 08:06 PM   #37
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

Quote:
Boy I thought it was only me that felt[fewt] this way...
lol i don't mind when talking on MSN or SMS and using the (lingo) of the younger generations,but when one uses the Forums they should lift their standards and at least communicate on an educated level,or try and make a good effort.
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter

Last edited by GTP 320; 27-06-2005 at 09:06 PM.
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2005, 08:13 PM   #38
Jamie XR6
3FB Detailing Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP 320
lol i don't mind when talking on MSN or SMS and using the (lingo) of the younger generations,but when one uses the Forums they should lift their standards and at least communicate on an educated level,or at try and make a good effort.
Cheers John
Totally agree.

Even in sms though, I very rarely shorten words. It might make it quicker for the person to send but it takes longer for the receiver of the message to decipher the hieroglyphics.

My mother is 60 and she sends the worse sms. Half the time I don't bother replying (sorry Mum) because I have no idea what she is on about.
03 BA XR6T, Black, T5, Unichip tuned by Autotech Engineering (235.5 rwkW), BPT short shifter, Custom Leather, 18" rims, PBR sports calipers, Lowered, Tint, duel CAI & BMC filter, AWC bits, custom stripes.

My Website
Old 27-06-2005, 08:16 PM   #39
Psycho Chicken
Banned

I'm anal about it, I go off at the girlfriend when she does things like that. I spose you've got to be around to hear her say "I bet him" and me snap "BEAT!" right back at her.

I'm not perfect, but how hard is it to atleast try to come across properly? I'd like to think I use fairly good grammar on here, my spelling isn't the greatest and I'm stuffed if I can remember what a verb is. But I try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
Simply put.... Your getting old ...
You're. :P
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2005, 06:36 AM   #40
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner
American-ized
You're going to hate me when I point out that in the English language it is "s" not "z"... "z" is American. :voldar02:

But Mike, for a lovely change I actually totally agree with everything you typed! As I said, it's like nails down a chalkboard when people incorrectly pronounce a word.

I must admit to it - on the odd occasion I am known to shorten words on text messages on my mobile, and via msn when I'm talking to two or three people at once and my hands are typing at an incredible rate, I may actually use shortcuts (ppl instead of people etc.)

And another thing! Etc. is an abbreviation of the latin, Et Cetera. I hate it when it's pronounced by idiots as "exsettra"!!!

Also don't forget the biggest sh!tter of all time... "hung". When someone goes to the gallows, or commits suicide, it's HANGED.

Ok I've got to stop now or I'll go on and on. What we all have to remember is that the more common a new word (or common abbreviation of a word) becomes, the bigger the chance that it will be added to the dictionary (it is revised quite often). For example, the word "today". If you look in old newspapers, it was spelt "to-day". And I am curious (and will do a search later) on the word that I used at the beginning of this paragraph... "ok"

Oh and one last thing. The word "you": when something belongs to you, it is "your" item. When your friend is about to go visit his Great Aunt and borrow some more money for his latest car mod(ification), it's "so you're going to visit your relative?" ("you're" as in You Are, shortened... the ' is there in place of the A).

You see, I told you I'd keep going! :

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2005, 06:59 AM   #41
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

The sms talk is OK with me, because Im a crappy speller so it makes it easy.As long as everyone can understand each other I think thats fine.
Im on about people that dont "pronounce" there words propley!!
Russell Ingill is one of them. Holden/Hoeden. Were is the "L" Russ

Read post 1 & you'll get were im comeing from. Now back to the spell/speiw checker>>

PS there are others to.. one. two. three/free
Build/buiwd
Tool/coow
Tools/toows
Dual/duaw

Old 28-06-2005, 07:11 AM   #42
bindi

Quote:
Im on about people that dont "pronounce" there words propley!!
Russell Ingill is one of them. Holden/Hoeden. Were is the "L" Russ
I understand this... there was a boy in my daughter's class who had to do a speech in front of all of the parents. In this speech were the words three, free, and three in quick succession.

What was amusing about this was that he pronounced all the words "free".

It was very annoying because this is a Year 6 "gifted" child... he also said that Ned Kelly was "hung".

Well maybe he was hung, but we'll never know because he was HANGED before anyone reported what was in his trousers

Quote:
Old 28-06-2005, 07:39 AM   #43
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindi
I understand this... there was a boy in my daughter's class who had to do a speech in front of all of the parents. In this speech were the words three, free, and three in quick succession.

What was amusing about this was that he pronounced all the words "free".

It was very annoying because this is a Year 6 "gifted" child... he also said that Ned Kelly was "hung".

Well maybe he was hung, but we'll never know because he was HANGED before anyone reported what was in his trousers
Bwwwhhhhaaaaa LOVE IT!!!

Old 28-06-2005, 08:39 AM   #44
ScoopED
Thumbs up for fossil fuel

Hay youse guys, I pacifically said, vat if you dont pass 'us' (<singular, "me!") them fings ova there im gunna smack ya in va head.

Above said is most of what disturbs me.......

Mike

1992 EB Fairmont
351cu in Windsor Roller Cam
Valve Body "Shift Kitted" BTR 4spd Auto
Hi Tek Headers Tri Y
Twin 2.25 into Single 2.5in
17in x 8in BA XR8 Copies
235x45x17 Nankang NSII
Ultra Low King springs
Whiteline 30mm Swaybar
Nolathane box section trailing arms
Slotted DBA front rotors
Yella Terra roller rockers
ScoopED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2005, 03:06 PM   #45
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

My boss walked in to my office the other day and asked if he could "borrow a staple". I told him he could, as long as he returned it when he was finished with it. _
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2005, 03:23 PM   #46
XRchic
Hello

I hate all sms typing. And I hate stupid spelling mistakes. People make typos and that is normal - it is easy enough to tell the difference between a typo and a spelling error (or deliberate perversion of the English language)...

We need e-mutant back to give us some good examples!

And where is Grammar-Nazi (tm) when you need him??? Hehe.

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2005, 03:55 PM   #47
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My boss does one thing that I absolutely hate;

"Martin, come here a minute."

What the hell does that mean?

"I need to use your pliers a minute."
"I'll just be out a minute."

Grrr that's annoying.

"Come here for a minute."
"I need your plier for a minute."
"I'll just be out for a minute."

I honestly couldn't tell you how long it takes to say that one syllable word, but believe me, it's not that long! Also I hate the word "ain't," just because it's in your dictionary dosn't make it a real word!!
Old 28-06-2005, 05:23 PM   #48
Jamie XR6
3FB Detailing Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindi

Also don't forget the biggest sh!tter of all time... "hung". When someone goes to the gallows, or commits suicide, it's HANGED.
So my girlfriend is right?

I'm not well hung.

I'm well hanged!

My Website
Old 28-06-2005, 05:40 PM   #49
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Ahahahahahahaherrrrr nope Jamie :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2005, 05:42 PM   #50
Marlin_Girl
I wish I was a Pursuit...

My friend used to say 'plobly' instead of 'probably'... That REALLY got to me!!

And i agree with Danny 'arks' and 'nyuse' is bloody irritating!! The english language will only keep getting slacker though :

I don't mind shortening of words in sms, I do it! I tend to send alot of quite long messages though so if i can fit them into one it saves me money. Better to ring though.

pics of my ute HERE
Marlin_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2005, 06:07 PM   #51
Dmax
74 XB Coupe

The thread title "People can't talk correctly"

Should that be "People can't speak correctly" ?
Old 28-06-2005, 07:38 PM   #52
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Blame SMS messaging
Blame Bill Gates

Serously questions shouldn't always be answered with OK. Gates would make you believe it is ok to answer twenty question in a row with 'OK'

But most importantly we must face the fact the English language is downright illogical.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2005, 07:45 PM   #53
bindi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie XR6

I'm not well hung.

I'm well hanged!
Uhhhh, how do I put this politely.................. you wish!

Quote:
Old 28-06-2005, 07:51 PM   #54
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I'm not well hung.

I'm well hanged!
Short people see things from a different perspective. Everything looks big. Time you bought bigger shoes. :evil_laug
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2005, 07:55 PM   #55
Jamie XR6
3FB Detailing Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Short people see things from a different perspective. Everything looks big. Time you bought bigger shoes. :evil_laug
I was thinking of having my legs amputated. That way I could brag that 'it' touches the ground

My Website
Old 29-06-2005, 12:51 PM   #56
PULLY6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I was thinking of having my legs amputated. That way I could brag that 'it' touches the ground
Hahaha top call!

On another note; WHY CAN'T PEOPLE USE PUNCTUATION PROPERLY!?!?!?!
(If my semicolon is incorrect, STFU)

There's THAT many people who can't be bothered using punctuation and just end up writing like this if they ask a question you wouldnt know it because you cant tell where one sentence ends and the next begins i mean really bro it sh!ts me to tears when i TRY to read a post like this eh bro

AAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!! : ing_sm :
Old 29-06-2005, 01:08 PM   #57
Axle-F
AU - YEA YOU!

the ways ppl are talking not gooder is well annoying this days
Old 29-06-2005, 04:13 PM   #58
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haha my idiot workmate actually used the word "gooder" today. We were pulling apart an Isuzu truck interior and we noticed some minor improvements over previous models, and he said "Looks like these Isuzus are getting gooder!" What a dolt.
Old 29-06-2005, 05:03 PM   #59
Paris Hilton
Custom User Title

What is your problem?

^^^^ that ****es me off the most.
Paris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2005, 06:56 PM   #60
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
My boss walked in to my office the other day and asked if he could "borrow a staple". I told him he could, as long as he returned it when he was finished with it. _
That reminds me of one that sh!ts me (please pardon the bad pun), when people say "Can I use your toilet?", to which I usually respond "I don't know, can you use my toilet, are you toilet trained?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane
But most importantly we must face the fact the English language is downright illogical.
So true. I was discussing this with LuvinmyEB yesterday after she read this thread, and it's amazing how illogical the English language is. One mouse, two mice, one tomato, two tomatoes...

The other important things in this discussion is this: the English language is constantly evolving, and a lot of it is dependant upon context.

An example of the language evolving is the meaning of the word 'gay', which has a very different meaning to most people now compared to 100 years ago.

And for an example of context, consider that what Americans call 'going to the bathroom', could also be referred to as 'going to the toilet/dunny/loo/lav/sh!thouse/little room/etc.' depending on where you are. But it's not universal, tell an American you're going to the toilet and they won't have a clue what you are talking about, the same as we could be forgiven for thinking that if an American says 'I'm going to the bathroom' they are going to have a bath or shower, not use the toilet.

Having said all that, I HATE the way that Americans are changing the English language, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who is bothered by this...

And for the record, I know that sometimes my spelling and gramma aren't exactly perfect, but I try and make sure that my posts can at least be read by most people.
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post