Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-04-2006, 01:34 PM   #31
OZFORDAU
Banned

Default Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedriver
yer price is good but I wouldn't recommend them.
Why wouldn't you recommend them? What's wrong with them?

Cheers

Simon
OZFORDAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 01:59 PM   #32
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Just a bit of my advice from my experience. I've got the factory fitted XR6 rims on my AU. When my tyres were replaced by bobjane the alignment was also adjusted. My steering wheel was off centre & the car pulled left afterwards.

I was ИИИИed with bobjane & didn't want them to touch the car again so I went to pedders, immediately they said you need a castor/camber kit! $300.
Couldn't afford it at the time so I waited a month or so and booked it in with a local (small business) steering place to get the kit done. When they started checking the car out the guy said "who told you it needs a kit?". Turns out it didn't need one.

They guy explained that the geometry of the tyres was different to the originals which was why the steering was off centre & the IRS alligment was totally screwed which is why it was pulling. (Funny how I paid for a 4 wheel alignment at bobjane).

He also said you only need the kit when lowering the car because major adjusment to camber is required, in my case he inserted an 2mm shim on one side and it corrected the camber.

My suggestion would be to stick to the smaller companies who have been around for 10 years or more, these larger companies just don't cut it, I went back to bobjane to stick it too them, they didn't even know what the shims were. Get your car lowered, and get the kit done afterwards (if required) and you should be a happy camper.

Recommend trading with Mechan1k, Offyaguts, EDMONTY, PhantomXR8, HOTC2R, Partie & JC
Au2falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 05:23 PM   #33
OZFORDAU
Banned

Post Just got it home!

The camber/castor kit has just been installed! It's much better! Steering has also inproved! But........THEY SCRACTHED ONE OF MY RIMS! NOT HAPPY JANE....They reckon it wasn't them as they take good care! The area manager did the job on my car i was told so he would've told me if anything had happen to my wheels! There going to ask around the work shop to see if anyone knows anything!

Cheers

Simon : : : : : :

PS: And yes i did inspect them befor i left......
OZFORDAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 08:37 PM   #34
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZFORDAU
The camber/castor kit has just been installed! It's much better! Steering has also inproved! But........THEY SCRACTHED ONE OF MY RIMS! NOT HAPPY JANE....They reckon it wasn't them as they take good care! The area manager did the job on my car i was told so he would've told me if anything had happen to my wheels! There going to ask around the work shop to see if anyone knows anything!

Cheers

Simon : : : : : :

PS: And yes i did inspect them befor i left......
Sorry to hear that e I still think you ИИИИed your money into the wind, hell, mine's been lowered @2" on the front (@2 1/2 years ago) & no camber/castor kit required, also no tyre wear, none-zip-zilch-nudda. Had the alignment checked @4 weeks ago.......no problems. I thought these kits were for older cars up to EL, I've not heard of them being "necessary" on AU's.
Old 19-04-2006, 09:05 PM   #35
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dok
I still think you ИИИИed your money into the wind
I guess Simon has bought some peace of mind, except for the scratch on the rim of course!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 09:37 AM   #36
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Sorry to hear that e I still think you ИИИИed your money into the wind, hell, mine's been lowered @2" on the front (@2 1/2 years ago) & no camber/castor kit required, also no tyre wear, none-zip-zilch-nudda. Had the alignment checked @4 weeks ago.......no problems. I thought these kits were for older cars up to EL, I've not heard of them being "necessary" on AU's.
Yes you are right and wrong.
My car also doesn't have them due to going to guys I know in the game who are very good aligners but this also goes to the build of the car.
Some are straight and some are not !
I do have some slight inside edge wear at my drivers side front but thats probably from hitting some pot holes unfortunately and not getting alignment check since.
I used to get alignments done every 3mths, rotation and perfect wear.
I suppose it comes to how pedantic you are.
There is also the case's that many aligner's without experience find the easiest way to get correct results is using camber/castor kits all the time.
This is why you go from one place and the other and get conflicting remidies !
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 11:44 AM   #37
Autocade

Quote:
Sorry to hear that e I still think you ????ed your money into the wind, hell, mine's been lowered @2" on the front (@2 1/2 years ago) & no camber/castor kit required, also no tyre wear, none-zip-zilch-nudda. Had the alignment checked @4 weeks ago.......no problems. I thought these kits were for older cars up to EL, I've not heard of them being "necessary" on AU's.
The Dok either you are lucky or I am very unlucky
My understanding is that AU does not allow adjustment for camber or castor(except for T series which have a different upper control arm bracket to allow for camber adjustment)
I had to fit a kit @ 28000 Ks on AU 2 XR6 with 17' due to the car running excesive negative camber and wiping out tyres prematurely
Ford weazled out when I tried for a warranty claim
Perhaps they are not all the same
Autocade is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 12:25 PM   #38
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocade
The Dok either you are lucky or I am very unlucky
My understanding is that AU does not allow adjustment for camber or castor(except for T series which have a different upper control arm bracket to allow for camber adjustment)
I had to fit a kit @ 28000 Ks on AU 2 XR6 with 17' due to the car running excesive negative camber and wiping out tyres prematurely
Ford weazled out when I tried for a warranty claim
Perhaps they are not all the same
No luck involved really. When I rebuilt this car @3 yrs ago (was written off, not by me), I was conscious of front end dramas (from my EF), so paid careful attention to the whole set-up (easier when the crossmember/suspension is out of it) replaced the 2 lwr ball joints with decent brand, swaybar bushes (rubber), springs replaced with (reset Road Kings) 17" Tickford rims & brand new tyres. @30000 k's & 3 alignments (1 rotation 4 weeks ago) alignment check (didn't require adjustment) no problems. I have a few mates in the wrecking business so I had access to very good advice about the AU & what to look out for. _2:
Old 20-04-2006, 04:57 PM   #39
Autocade

Quote:
No luck involved really. When I rebuilt this car @3 yrs ago (was written off, not by me), I was conscious of front end dramas (from my EF), so paid careful attention to the whole set-up (easier when the crossmember/suspension is out of it) replaced the 2 lwr ball joints with decent brand, swaybar bushes (rubber), springs replaced with (reset Road Kings) 17" Tickford rims & brand new tyres. @30000 k's & 3 alignments (1 rotation 4 weeks ago) alignment check (didn't require adjustment) no problems. I have a few mates in the wrecking business so I had access to very good advice about the AU & what to look out for. _2:
Sounds like you have been down this track before as have I with an EL
Most AUs would be unable to compare to your well engineered setup.
IMO if you have any issues a $300 FEA kit is cheap insurance against wiping out a set of tyres prematurely
Once installed most decent places with modern equipment are able to set it up perfectly.
Autocade is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2006, 09:31 PM   #40
phildee

Rather than starting a new thread, have just ordered some King's Low's and a set of Monroe GT Gas, should I get the alignment done straight after I fit the springs/shocks or wait for the springs to settle?

Cheers, Phil
phildee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2006, 10:17 PM   #41
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildee
Rather than starting a new thread, have just ordered some King's Low's and a set of Monroe GT Gas, should I get the alignment done straight after I fit the springs/shocks or wait for the springs to settle?

Cheers, Phil
I would say wait a week or so, but that's more of an opinion and an educated guess rather than based upon hard facts and experience!

As a few said to Simon earlier in this thread, a few week's driving isn't going to stuff the tyres, and his were new weren't they? You're not replacing tyres are you? If not, then I wouldn't think waiting a few weeks would hurt!

It stands to reason to let the new set up settle, but I could be wrong. Have been wrong before, will be wrong again! LOL!

That's my 2 bob's worth.

GK out!

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 21-04-2006, 11:28 PM   #42
phildee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
I would say wait a week or so, but that's more of an opinion and an educated guess rather than based upon hard facts and experience!

As a few said to Simon earlier in this thread, a few week's driving isn't going to stuff the tyres, and his were new weren't they? You're not replacing tyres are you? If not, then I wouldn't think waiting a few weeks would hurt!

It stands to reason to let the new set up settle, but I could be wrong. Have been wrong before, will be wrong again! LOL!

That's my 2 bob's worth.

GK out!
I figure its going to be better being out for a couple weeks than correcting it straight after lowering then potentially being out a little after that if it settles much. But ive never lowered a car before so im not sure. And nope, no new tyres yet
phildee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2006, 12:20 AM   #43
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildee
I figure its going to be better being out for a couple weeks than correcting it straight after lowering then potentially being out a little after that if it settles much. But ive never lowered a car before so im not sure. And nope, no new tyres yet
Give it a few weeks. I think your rationale makes good sense. Better being out for 2 weeks now, than out later for a long time.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 24-10-2008, 07:25 PM   #44
Hords
Treasure your balls?

Give Pedders in Footscray a big miss! After $1500 worth of work done 18 months ago I promptly returned after a few k as my steering wheel was off centre. Can't be they told me. The mechanic was peeved and took it for a drive (more like fang). He reluctantly agreed and then fixed it. A month later whilst doing an oil change I noticed a large bolt on each side had the nut on only finger tight. Blasted 'em and the manager blamed a past employee they weren't happy with and had to relieve. Right at that moment the mechanic walked into the sales desk area. Let 'em have it then.