Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 11-11-2005, 12:05 AM   #31
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On a similar note, this is an excerpt of an email I sent to a forum member (Parts Guy) on the 5/9/05. The reason I knew where this guy worked was because he had his ****** Ford shirt on when he "staggered" from the car looking rather.....sheepish. Roundabouts are & always will be an unsuspecting trap for the unwary, as the saying goes, "just add water".

(This afternoon @4.50pm, one of your “service personnel” piloting a burgundy EB sporting P plates allowed his ambition to outweigh his ability when travelling through the roundabout on Power rd in a Northerly direction, on a greasy road, clipped a light pole, bounced off a fence, then careered @150 m down the hill on 3 wheels (RH front collapsed under) only to end up in my driveway (I kid you not) thus preventing me from going out to a 5.00 appointment. 2 minutes later he would have cleaned me up exiting my drive to go out, I didn’t know whether to kiss him or kill him!!! The nice policeman tells me he’ll be off to court soon so that made me feel better. Scratch another EB & I’m guessing he’ll be off the road for around 6 months. Never a dull moment on this road mate, but you should get some mileage from this one!!!)

:jab:
Old 11-11-2005, 12:16 AM   #32
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
ever gotten into a slide then slammed the brakes on?
i know i have... and i know my ex gf did, and she ended up in a ditch with some bent suspension arms, i can vouch for her driving and this was turning a corner after a set of traffic lights.

is it that hard to just beleive that an eseries owner wasnt being a hoon?
Yes and No. I was young once too, so I know what it's like. And if you read my post carefully, you will notice that I phrased it such that I never called him a hoon, just driving too fast for the conditions. And that is only in my opinion. Who knows, I may be wrong. I doubt it though.

Oh, and I am currently driving an e-series, doesn't make me a hoon. Driving an AU XR8 makes me a hoon! LOL.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:21 AM   #33
gtfpv
GT

bad luck mate but don't worry at the end of the day it is only a car . expensive but hey , what's not .when i was 18 i had a tc cortina , my 1st car . i was driving on a road that had a bend in it a friend passenger bet me that i couldn't drive around that bend spinning the wheels ( the road was wet ) he was right. staight up the gutter had to reverse home as car wouldn't drive forward . live and learn
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:23 AM   #34
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dok
(This afternoon @4.50pm, one of your “service personnel” piloting a burgundy EB sporting P plates allowed his ambition to outweigh his ability when travelling through the roundabout on Power rd in a Northerly direction, on a greasy road, clipped a light pole, bounced off a fence, then careered @150 m down the hill on 3 wheels (RH front collapsed under) only to end up in my driveway (I kid you not) thus preventing me from going out to a 5.00 appointment. 2 minutes later he would have cleaned me up exiting my drive to go out, I didn’t know whether to kiss him or kill him!!! The nice policeman tells me he’ll be off to court soon so that made me feel better. Scratch another EB & I’m guessing he’ll be off the road for around 6 months. Never a dull moment on this road mate, but you should get some mileage from this one!!!)
Heh, I was at said Ford dealership talking to Rob when said burgundy EB let off a massive one wheel wonder turning onto highway said dealership is on. Hardly suprising.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:28 AM   #35
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ever seen a car or truck go around a round about spilling diesel or petrol as they go out of their over full fuel tanks, i hit a greasy spot on barrys rd roundabout(campbellfield) years ago, spun me a beuty, was most definatley taking it slow, my passenger thought the steering went on my old xr289, was like ice skating , sometimes you can get caught out even doing the right thing.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:31 AM   #36
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
ever seen a car or truck go around a round about spilling diesel or petrol as they go out of their over full fuel tanks, i hit a greasy spot on barrys rd roundabout(campbellfield) years ago, spun me a beuty, was most definatley taking it slow, my passenger thought the steering went on my old xr289, was like ice skating , sometimes you can get caught out even doing the right thing.
True, but you do not then bounce off a gutter, spin 180 and land in a ditch do you? Inappropriate speed is what determines how bad the situation gets. I would suggest that the more damage you do, the chances are you were not paying attention to the road conditions and adjusting your driving to suit.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:38 AM   #37
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC-XRWgn
Yes and No. I was young once too, so I know what it's like. And if you read my post carefully, you will notice that I phrased it such that I never called him a hoon, just driving too fast for the conditions. And that is only in my opinion. Who knows, I may be wrong. I doubt it though.

Oh, and I am currently driving an e-series, doesn't make me a hoon. Driving an AU XR8 makes me a hoon! LOL.
i'm simply refering to you 'assuming' he "powerslid" out of the corner.
while he may not of been driving to the conditions, which is easy to mistake, assuming he's doing such actions on purpose goes beyond just driving to the conditions.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:40 AM   #38
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
ever gotten into a slide then slammed the brakes on?
i know i have... and i know my ex gf did, and she ended up in a ditch with some bent suspension arms, i can vouch for her driving and this was turning a corner after a set of traffic lights.

is it that hard to just beleive that an eseries owner wasnt being a hoon?
You don't have to be hooning, to be going too quick, not paying attention etc. I'm not saying efgiar was doing any of these things. But plain and simple if you lose control you are generally going too fast for the situation. And plain & simple we all can & do make mistakes. That's why we insure.

None of us are invincible and the ones that think they are are the ones most likely to suffer the next traffic accident.

efgiar don't beat yourself up too badly, its a painful and expensive exercise, but the good thing is no-one was hurt, cars can be repaired. And I'd say if a couple of off duty coppers helped out then its recognition that the circumstances were difficult.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:48 AM   #39
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

guys who really cares.. it was just an accident..
I'm sure he's learnt his lesson, no need to kick the guy while he's down.
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:54 AM   #40
-jjM-
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennAUII
guys who really cares.. it was just an accident..
I'm sure he's learnt his lesson, no need to kick the guy while he's down.
so true, its like that old says, S*** Happens :S
-jjM- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 01:02 AM   #41
Obriza
Banned

Accidents happen, at least you didn't write off the car... i did just last month, although my accident was me going a little too fast, i wasnt going through a round about, but a straight it was wet and i was going about 60-70 and hit a wet patch, the car started to turn a little, as i still hadn't got the wheel aligned after lowering and i over corrected. it went into a spin and i found myself mounted on the gutter with a split diff and a locked r/h/r wheel also bent the sh*t outta my r/h/f wheel, the whole hub and rear axle need replacing.
heres a pic of my front wheel:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1766a.jpg (105.3 KB, 63 views)
Obriza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 01:25 AM   #42
tommo74
zx TT

sorry man ,and to say u wished you wer deadits only a fkin CAR mate ...who cares?
go through drug addiction,alcohol,two wives that ed around and 5 mates die within 4 yrs...THEN you have problems...i know that seems harsh but...you can FIX your car...sometimes other things just cant be fixed.....
gee..im as happy as larry no doubt har...freakin ...har
tommo74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 01:49 AM   #43
K_Man
Whoa, this is heavy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC-XRWgn
But look at the action - tried to correct, hit a gutter, spun another 180 and then landed in a ditch. He would not have done all that doing 30 or 40 through the roundabout (which in the wet, with possible greasy/oily conditions would be an acceptable speed).
I've done something similar in my old skyline with 17's at a reasonable speed. Turning right at an intersection, not giving it any gas, managed to get it sideways, correct it and have it go back out the other way, over correct it and spin it almost 180 into the median. All at around 30-40 on what was a very greasy road. It's very possible.

And i wasn't being an idiot to begin with, as i was in the inside lane of 2 lanes turning right. Last thing i wanted was to go *** first into someone's door.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:02 AM   #44
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by efgiar
i just wish i was dead right now i cant believe i stuffed my car...
Buddy i hear what your saying, and no one likes it when they damage their car, I just wished you thought about the title of your post a little more, come with me down to the WACH, childrens wards where i have spent some 17 odd years and you will understand.

Just My 2c ( Back in my box )
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 07:48 AM   #45
efgiar
rofl copter

xr wagon, i was not being a hoon, i started to accelereate out of the round about, NOT HARD and started to kick out the round about was pretty big so you do get some speed up on them) i didnt brake but i didnt accelerate either, just let it hang out because if i started to brake i would of been in the ditch, if i started to accelerate i would of been in the ditch, if i went in the ditch were i hit the gutter i would have been upside down, this was a pretty deap ditch and i lost it as i was comming out of the round about.

******edited by laminge********

thats all

Last edited by Laminge; 11-11-2005 at 08:19 AM.
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 08:20 AM   #46
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

now that the childish post have been removed, lets get on with adult discussions
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 09:17 AM   #47
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
now that the childish post have been removed, lets get on with adult discussions
Lol, must have been some corkers in there if this is what you left behind!!

Efgiar, sounded fairly minor - im guessing this is the first time a car has gotten away from you. To feel spooked is understandable. Glad to hear everyone is ok (apart from some shaky nerves) and im sure the damage will be minor.

I echo the sentiments that wishing death upon yourself is very insensitive - it's only a car mate, dont lose perspective of this.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:27 AM   #48
b2tf
not here much anymore

I think everybody at some point in their driving careers has had an "oh $#@&" situation. I know I have, in the old EF one a wet day. I was not used to the power of it (2nd day I had it) and ended up spinning around in the wet - hit the gas a little too hard and away it went.

It does happen, and before Im told I was "hooning" - no, I wasnt, I was inexperienced. And there is a BIG difference.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:40 AM   #49
TUFED6
Banned

Another factor might be that the car has an LSD and the driver may not have been prepared for how they can make a car handle.

- John
TUFED6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 09:44 AM   #50
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUFED6
Another factor might be that the car has an LSD and the driver may not have been prepared for how they can make a car handle.

- John
Your PM's are full :
Old 11-11-2005, 09:48 AM   #51
hamo
since the beginning

Quote:
Originally Posted by efgiar
yeah im an idiot, i was going around a round about, not hard, and hit a wet patch on the road, *** end kicked out, tried to correct it and the l/h/r hit the gutter, flang the *** end around the other way, did a 180, went into a ditch smashing the r/h/r wheel into the ditch, front bar is screwed, side skirt has a big crack in it, r/h/r wheel is buckeled beond repair... i just wish i was dead right now i cant believe i stuffed my car...
hey!! i thought someone had an accident...it was outside Manor Lakes, i live in there, i drove right past in the ute.

I saw a few guys standing around inspecting the car. It was very wet yesterday, although the road seemed dry when i came past.

sorry i didn't stop, i even said to my mate 'wonder if its someone off the forums!' I use that roundabout everyday, i always take it easy, it can be a slippery one! good luck with the repair

Always Autotech
hamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:35 AM   #52
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

All this talk of powerslides and not being used to the mightily awesome power of E-series 6-packs and cars "just turning around on you" through no driver error... It's beautiful, kids!

I've got cars crossed up and come off the road four times. Each was my fault and I know exactly how it happened- and two of those four were in my EA.

efgiar - sucks to bang up your car - but you'll fix it, and hopefully you'll learn from the mistake. It's only a car, chief - a minor inconvenience in the grander scheme of things.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:43 AM   #53
niko
likes falcon's

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
It's only a car, chief - a minor inconvenience in the grander scheme of things.
spot on man.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:40 AM   #54
efgiar
rofl copter

yeah well i washed it today, went and got a NOS bumper for 220, the rim was fine, apparently it had alot of mud on the inside, yes it was in manor lakes and the road was wet on the side i was on cuz of the slop of the round about i think, and the 2 cars that were there were cops on thier way to work, very lucky i didnt get into trouble with them guys, they were realy good about the situation, the side skit will be fibre glassed and bogged today hopfully, and then will get the scratched panels (side skirt, rear bad, door mold of body kit) resprayed in a could of weeks or earlier i hope, now that i think about it, and seen how little damag was done im a little happier, the reason i was so upset is that the gearbox sounded like it was grinding when we were trying to get it out, and the lsd is stuffed, sort of, it spins wen i dont want it to, and doesnt spin wen i want it to, cant win

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:09 PM   #55
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea_silver_ghia
I spun the car around a roundabout once, but I was lucky I missed the kerbs and got away without damage. I wasn't going fast either. They were pretty crappy tyres, nowhere near as good as the Yokahamas I've got now. On the other hand, about 2 months after I got my p-plates back in 02', I turned in front of an XH XR6 ute, severely damaging the Ghia and writing off the ute. It took a long time to get over it but accidents do happen.
One thing I failed to mention in this post was that the police and ambulance attended my crash. A woman from the XR6 was taken to hospital (luckily nothing broken - just some pretty bad scratches). I got away with a sore knee (slammed it into the dash - even cracked the dash!) and a fine for "failure to give way". I understand that it is tough to face the fact that you've damaged a car, but try imagining how tough it is to watch an innocent woman being taken away in an ambulance because you didn't pay enough attention at an intersection.

As an indication of how hard a hit mine was, I included a couple of photos, including one of the damage to the dash which was never fixed.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:32 PM   #56
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

One factor no one has pointed out is the blame that driver education should take. I passed my liscence test in a late model Pulsar with almost 100% perfect results, and as soon as I stepped into the EA I nearly had an accident or 2.

The test is an absolute disgrace and we have to take it upon ourselves to learn to cope with situations like this - even if it means going to a deserted car park on a rainy day...

Also I'm changing the thread title as it was perhaps conceived in haste.
ilsautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:38 PM   #57
gozza

yeah i always inist my girlfriend to have a go at getting it sideways on a grassy paddock...theres a place not too far from my house that you can muck around in....one day it had just being raining(being a blond woman she didn't take into account the roads being wet cos it wasn't raining at the time lol.....from a standing start she hooked this corner and put power mid corner...being an rx7 with an lsd it went way out sideways...over steered just as much and lost it up a gutter stopping inches from a pole)
i'm always tellin her she learn wat it feels like to drift and how to counter steer etc etc...but she never listens..

and to efgiar...i tell this to all my mates who have a big fine all have a bingle...u aint got nothing to winge about to me cos i have written off my old mans car being stupid(early p days) and had over $2000 of sper fines plus another rear ender
i wanted to die after crashing my old mans car...was like somthin that only happens in movies..and it happened to me...chin up man...things always have a way of turning for the better
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:43 PM   #58
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive owned 7 cars, and never has a car just lost control on me without me being a ******** first.

My EA aquaplaned on a main street of a town and nearly took out a medium strip brick planter box. I only just clipped it and took a chuck out of the mudflap and a thumbnail size piece of paint just on the door. I was doing about 20kmh over the limit and accelerating. Hitting it at 70kmh would have been massive.

My EA turned around at a roundabout in the wet, because I was trying to drift it out. That doesnt work too well with a Single spinner. Lucky it wasnt busy and didnt hit anything.

My Gemini understeered, then I locked the brakes heading towards a steel barrier going down a hill in the wet, luckily I saved it just before disaster. But was totally my fault due to speed, and ty tyres.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:50 PM   #59
niko
likes falcon's

trouty, i like your thinking.

perhaps we should get a defence driving school on board with ff.com.au and give group discounts?????
Old 11-11-2005, 01:07 PM   #60
bdennis
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
trouty, i like your thinking.

perhaps we should get a defence driving school on board with ff.com.au and give group discounts?????
Now there is a damn good idea.. _2:
bdennis is offline   Reply With Quote