Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-04-2008, 11:16 PM   #31
Nunnya

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy-au
I am throwing a few ideas around at the moment for when i bolt the turbo on.

I am going to fit the transmission cooler shortly but have a bit of an idea.

From what i have read on here, a lot of air enters the engine bay behind the AU headlights. When all is said and done, the battery will be in the boot.

I was thinking if a lot of air enters behind the headlight, would it be plausable to mount the tranny cooler there?

I am not too keen to mount it in front of the radiator as about 70% of its flow will already be cut off from the front mount.

Would this work mounting the transmission cooler behind the drivers side headlight where the battery once was?
I too have an AU11 fairmont, I mounted a transmission cooler in front of the radiator (& a/c condensor). Has no effect whatsoever on water temp, ie can assume JC is correct, no great air restriction at all.
One big minus though with my tranny cooler..when it heats up from hot oil (as it's supposed to), it causes the outside temperature display to read some 10 degrees high.
Nunnya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2008, 11:35 PM   #32
Muzza
Bent Eight

Default Trans Cooler in XR8

I was shocked to find no trans cooler in my AU3 XR8 as standard fitment.
There was no Ford option pack for the AU3 XR8 either (because the engine oil cooler was in the spot where the optional transcooler was designed to fit).

The trans guys I spoke to all suggested that the bigger the better.
After a bunch of investigation I installed one out of an ED.

This was the biggest I could get in as well as having hose entry points and mounting points in the right places.

An added benefit was that the original ED mounting bracket was very close to what was needed and was easily modified to suit.

Sorry, did not take any pics when I put it all together... these are recent ones.
MrsMuzza: ED XR6 wagon (Mock Dev 4 160rwkw, JMM extractors, 4 electric windows, Ghia door panels in XR trim, rear head rests in XR trim, Momo s/wheel with Cruise, EL thermos, EBGT wheels (8.5ins wide...nice), Sprint leather interior).

Last edited by Muzza; 29-09-2014 at 09:24 AM.
Muzza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2008, 11:39 PM   #33
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverxr
on your driver's side you'll have an air filter there , if your cooler isn't to high i would have it up front straight behind your ford badge. you won't see it there and it will be getting max air flow and the coolest.
as for the thing getting hot, you shouldn't have any worries. my cooler blocks out the radiater 100% then a trans in front of that. the needle stay's in the norm always.

I was about to say mount it behind the grille (Ford badge) ... plenty of room there.

As for better radiators ... I run a ADRAD twin core on my work ute ... it works a charm ... take a while to warm up on cool mornings ... and COLD Winter morning it barely even makes it to the NORM range (if at all).

That's how good they work .... and only about $250 as well. Looks like a stock radiator ... only twice as thick.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2008, 01:08 AM   #34
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

There is actually a reason that it goes thru the radiator other than cooling, and that ford still run it thru the radiator with the factory added cooler.

The reason for this is that you transmission has a running temperature just like your motor, it is suppost to be warm not hot and if they get too cold then you risk things like breaking bands and so on, as well as reduced transmission life. If you follow the flow of the oil you'll see that it goes thru the front oil cooler and then back into the radiator back to transmission, so that it regulates the heat better.
5.0 ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2008, 09:21 AM   #35
Muzza
Bent Eight

Yes, I had the same advice from the trans guys I spoke to.
Spoke to three which had had many years of experience.
They regard cooler only as a serious no-no and for the same temperature reasons.
I added my trans cooler in line with the radiator connection still in use.

Is same as the engine ... if run too cool it will result in premature wear and failure.
Mechanik1... I would be concerned with engine wear particularly in the cold.... you may need to install a slightly "warmer" thermostat.
The I6 uses a 89C one and the V8 uses 87C.
You could stick in a 91C or slightly higher one to get the temp up.
I just did a bunch of investigation of this for a thermofan controller I am about to release. This runs off the temp gauge sender and drives a set of EL fans (for EA,EB,ED).
The biggest issue was fan turn on-off arrangements to achieve correct operating temperature.
MrsMuzza: ED XR6 wagon (Mock Dev 4 160rwkw, JMM extractors, 4 electric windows, Ghia door panels in XR trim, rear head rests in XR trim, Momo s/wheel with Cruise, EL thermos, EBGT wheels (8.5ins wide...nice), Sprint leather interior).
Muzza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2008, 11:23 AM   #36
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverxr
yeah man put the thing right in the front, it'll help your auto having good fresh air going to it.

my radiator is standard and never had a problem. my cooler is a tube and fin pwr, they are meant to let more air flow through them then bar and plate.
Right o, i will give this a go then. I have a tube and fin PWR cooler too that i will be using. So if this is the case i will just mount it up top.

Have you got your transmission cooler mounted on your radiator or witha gap?

Future fun: 1968 Ford Galaxie 500

ten[A]cio[U]s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2008, 05:31 PM   #37
justa6
justa6

mine's got a gap, altough only very small
justa6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post