Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-05-2009, 12:57 PM   #31
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Will the Ruddodore have AFM? (anti Fascist management)?....

Old 05-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #32
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Could you post link to said Hansard of which you speak.

Also http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...8-7583,00.html
Doesn't really specify anything but innuendo.

I found this rather interesting:

Quote:

But it is when examining our foreign debt that the member for Higgins’ failure as Treasurer is most stark. Who could ever forget the infamous debt truck that the Liberal opposition used in the 1996 election campaign that criticised the Keating government for what was at the time a $200 billion net foreign debt representing 38 per cent of GDP. It now stands at $658 billion or around 60 per cent of GDP. Under the member for Higgins, the debt truck became a road train.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 01:11 PM   #33
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

I'm sure the Gov't buying GMH would be good for all local manufacturers. They'd probably put import tariffs up to 20% and we'd become a Falcon & Commodore country again.

Not that I'm saying it should or will happen.
R-Design is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 01:28 PM   #34
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
And how is this all directly linked to Holden allegedly being bought by the govt?

Talk about off topic, actually I'm not even sure whether this thread actually has a topic anyway considering it is wholly based on what someone heard yet is not reported.
You'll have to allow our right wing friends some latitude here RG. Many will never accept that in a democracy changes of government are essential. Their scene of bewilderment at the current status quo will evolve into delirium with the inevitable re-election of such a popular PM and no visible opposition.

While ltd is certainly welcome to his opinion I worry about early onset delirium. The source and content of this story are as funny as they are tragic.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:32 PM   #35
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Regardless, just because one person says he believes it may be happening does not mean it is actually going to happen.
Not what I said, ergo I mention speculate. Note the question mark on the topic.

Workhorse, I have not tried to defame anyone in this post especially those that have disagreed; does it make you feel all warm and fuzzy to be slanderous?

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 01:37 PM   #36
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd

Workhorse, I have not tried to defame anyone in this post especially those that have disagreed; does it make you feel all warm and fuzzy to be slanderous?
Your need to justify yourself against a post that was not pointed directly at you, that says to me that you feel the need to prove a point.

My original point was that a thread started about the govt buying GMH turned into a chat about stimulus packages, that and there were a few who seemed to take your OP as gospel.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 01:41 PM   #37
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd

Slanderous???? I'm genuinely worried for you ltd
Old 05-05-2009, 02:11 PM   #38
RPO83
ĕm-bär'gō? 2016

This thread isn't getting politically heated at all...perhaps the 'super' moderator could rectify this?
RPO83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 02:12 PM   #39
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPO83
This thread isn't getting politically heated at all...perhaps the 'super' moderator could rectify this?
Any more and "he" will.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 05:27 PM   #40
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why should the Australian taxpayer have to come to the rescue and bail out failed companies?
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 05:40 PM   #41
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom_105
Why should the Australian taxpayer have to come to the rescue and bail out failed companies?
Meat pies, Kangaroos, and Holden Cars !!
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 06:39 PM   #42
Rock ape

Why do people still think that ^^^^^

New FG XR6T ZF
Rock ape is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 06:55 PM   #43
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAGTp001
Why do people still think that ^^^^^
Holden means a great deal to Korea !!
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 07:22 PM   #44
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
Holden means a great deal to Korea !!
mmmmm why do i agree with you on that one

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 07:29 PM   #45
Derrty
Wishes he had a GT

ill give em what holden is worth.... i have $5 in my account with any luck ill get my $4,50 change after a few months.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:44 AM   #46
500SEC

I can foresee the look of serious (yet conceited) concern on Dudd's face when he explains it (in his solemn and pastoral manner) to the Australian people (which doesn't include me because i'm single and not thereofre a working family) about the need to buy a car company. What's more, his sloppy-mouthed Treasurer Wayne will 'not speculate about what it means' and 'reveal full details at the appropriate time' and slap a new tax on the 'rich' (ie, anybody who earns more than $100k pa) because he's part of a government that is Doing Something... like building "the Commodore series 43 billion"
500SEC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 12:54 AM   #47
Windsor220
Now Fordless

If the government buys Holden I will seriously consider moving back to UK. Im not working my **** off so my tax money can go towards a company that cant support itself and sells rubbish cars. It will probably mean the end of Falcon if this happened too as it couldnt compete against something with that much funding.

Hopefully this is just BS.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 01:22 AM   #48
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Not gonna happen.

If GM spun off Holden, and this itself is unlikely, the most likely buyers would be Tata of India or any one of the Chinese auto makers.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 01:33 AM   #49
Blue_XR

Ok regardless if the government do buy or not buy holden the question must be asked, if GM go under what engines/gearboxes and other various bits and pieces will holden no longer be able to use because there is no factory building these parts.

Will the government pull enough funds to esentially create a new drive train? Unless they go to ford and ask to use the I6 or even better replace it with a eco boost engine............

If the government decides to buy holden then it will be a stupid decision especailly when large cars are becoming a niche market and are lossing market share everyday. To spend vast amounts of $$$ to make 50,000 cars a year well..........

That's my 2 cents..........
Blue_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 01:42 AM   #50
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
What the hell are you all whinging about???

The Kevin Rudd commodore?

So incredibly slow that you are never sure it is actually moving
ridiculously expensive with extra costs added randomly.
Will only work 3-4 days a week at odd hours and only in suburbs or towns that are nowhere near your house.
Wanders off in strange directions for no understandable reason
Only goes for a short time before it fails and then a you have to get a whole new one the is better than the old one even though it seems exactly the same but with new blinkers.
Has at least 4 steering wheels because it requires a commitee to make any operational decissions.
The first one will be delivered a week after the replacement model is announced.
Halfway though the production it will be scrapped but all the deposits paid will be kept and used for "anti binge driving education".
The drivers manual will be available in Mandarin, Shanghaiese AND Cantonese with an english translation service available for a small fee on 1900 KEVSMATES.

BUT, it will look good on TV........
Oh Flappist!
You're what the Spaniards call, "El Terrible"

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 01:56 AM   #51
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

You'd think with news that would be huge it would be in the paper or on an auto site....
Old 06-05-2009, 02:10 AM   #52
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Does this mean HRT would be renamed to CRT, (Centerlink Racing Team)

I can just see the Windscreen banner now
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 02:36 AM   #53
DIFFWA

Compleat BS.. with news like that it would be big news. but would like to see the new bugeyed Kevin Ruddadore :
DIFFWA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 08:46 AM   #54
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Seems China is interested ??
These names come to mind..
Geely, SAIC, Chery, Changfeng... Holden..
Stir fry, Pander Bears and Changfeng... Lol...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 09:02 AM   #55
SVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_XR
Ok regardless if the government do buy or not buy holden the question must be asked, if GM go under what engines/gearboxes and other various bits and pieces will holden no longer be able to use because there is no factory building these parts.

Will the government pull enough funds to esentially create a new drive train? Unless they go to ford and ask to use the I6 or even better replace it with a eco boost engine............

If the government decides to buy holden then it will be a stupid decision especailly when large cars are becoming a niche market and are lossing market share everyday. To spend vast amounts of $$$ to make 50,000 cars a year well..........

That's my 2 cents..........
Who knows they may try and get the Ford Local Units for drivetrains... it would be the logical step for them, then it would be an All australian car (even though the Falcon pretty much already is) Holden won't be sold by GM, GM relies on them too much with the new platform and what not, they would loose alot of their markets.
SVD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 09:57 AM   #56
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

I think if the Government had bought Holden it would like back in the late eighties when Holden supplied VN Commodes to Toyota to sell as Lexcens, it will be the other way round with Aurions supplied as Commodes with refitted noses. This way Holden will have made the Jump to FWD, very little work required to manufacture, and the public will buy anything with a Holden badge on it. My 2 cents.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 10:04 AM   #57
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVD
... Holden won't be sold by GM, GM relies on them too much with the new platform and what not, they would loose alot of their markets.
You might be right there. To unravel their design centre would disrupt in process models, especially given the time between concept to market. Currently they're doing a $400+m spend on design and setup for the little car.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 12:31 PM   #58
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Besides the driveline, GM bought the Zeta platform from Holden. So there isn't much left of the Holden to use and would have to pay a lot of royalties to have the all Aussie car.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:55 PM   #59
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_XR
Holden, much like Ford, are an independent manufacturing arm of a much larger organization. This means they are independent of their parent companies. Makes closing them down so much more simple. However, because of this independence, we are also able to manufacture our own motors and source our own drivelines irregardless of what our parents operations might be.

In simple terms, it means that GM can sell Holden and nothing will change, Holden will negotiate a price to keep purchasing crate LS3 motors just like they are now. All other parts are either made in oz or Holden have a separate agreement from GM with o'seas suppliers.

The government would be irresponsible to ever purchase a private manufacturing operation because they would have an interest in that firms success to the detriment of other manufacturers.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 12:57 PM   #60
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Besides the driveline, GM bought the Zeta platform from Holden. So there isn't much left of the Holden to use and would have to pay a lot of royalties to have the all Aussie car.
That's the same thing GM did to Opel and look at them now. I give 'em six months prior to sale (I'll go Chinese ownership, maybe someone should start a pole).
R-Design is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post