Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-04-2009, 06:30 PM   #31
Redmund
Banned

Look at all those that are happy with this gold plated carrot the government is dangling in front of them. I'm not surprised Rudd got in. Look at the attitudes.

Little do they know the interest we are paying on the borrowed money. Yes interest. Savvy? 42 billion at 40 odd % is 17 billion interest. But hey, 900 bucks right now is great.

Job losses aren't ruining the country. Debt is.
Redmund is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2009, 07:01 PM   #32
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHeapsGood
I dont agree with the Krudd Govt on this, waste of time and money... but ill never say no to money...
So if you dont agree with it give it to the Salvo's. That way we wont have to call you a hypocrite.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:30 PM   #33
dandandandan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmund
Look at all those that are happy with this gold plated carrot the government is dangling in front of them. I'm not surprised Rudd got in. Look at the attitudes.
So are you saying all those that are relieved to be getting some extra cash to survive, keep their heads above water from the Govt have a bad political attitude?
The government isn't dangling any metaphorical gold carrot in front of the public, we're being given this without choice.
Many people will find this Stimulus package to be a god send so that they can get themselves out of a tight corner and keep have some financial breathing space.

Quote:
Little do they know the interest we are paying on the borrowed money. Yes interest. Savvy? 42 billion at 40 odd % is 17 billion interest. But hey, 900 bucks right now is great.
Of course we'll pay it back, we'll pay it back with a large amount of interest but small to big businesses are copping it and the flow through effect to the blue collar worker is being felt in many industries that support our communities and so this package may help keep them in jobs, may keep food on the table for those that have lost jobs and are supporting families and etc.

Also I think people know how loans and interest works, most people have taken out mortgages and personal loans before.

This $900 may not mean anything to you, but to many people and lots on this forum, it means a heck of a lot.

Quote:
Job losses aren't ruining the country. Debt is.
Ummm I'm pretty sure these job losses can be more justly attributed to the world wide credit crisis/recession.

Not having a dig at you mate, but heaps of people are depending on this money and it's rubbish of you to insinuate idiocy with what you posted.

BA MKII XR6T, Vixen, Leather, Sunroof.
Stock as a rock... Till after xmas :evil3:
dandandandan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2009, 07:44 PM   #34
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
You have to take the money weather you like it or not because again, weather you like it or not you'll be paying it back with interest over the next 4 years....
So true alot of people only see the short term gain not the long term loss
Old 03-04-2009, 07:53 PM   #35
Redmund
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandandandan
So are you saying all those that are relieved to be getting some extra cash to survive, keep their heads above water from the Govt have a bad political attitude?
The government isn't dangling any metaphorical gold carrot in front of the public, we're being given this without choice.
Many people will find this Stimulus package to be a god send so that they can get themselves out of a tight corner and keep have some financial breathing space.

Of course we'll pay it back, we'll pay it back with a large amount of interest but small to big businesses are copping it and the flow through effect to the blue collar worker is being felt in many industries that support our communities and so this package may help keep them in jobs, may keep food on the table for those that have lost jobs and are supporting families and etc.

Also I think people know how loans and interest works, most people have taken out mortgages and personal loans before.

This $900 may not mean anything to you, but to many people and lots on this forum, it means a heck of a lot.

Ummm I'm pretty sure these job losses can be more justly attributed to the world wide credit crisis/recession.

Not having a dig at you mate, but heaps of people are depending on this money and it's rubbish of you to insinuate idiocy with what you posted.
If $900 is the difference between survival and extinction, then these people have a lot more to worry about. $900 doesn't last long. Having read various forums, most people seem to be spending the money on tattoos, cd players or drugs, not necessary items like food and what not.

You grazed over the point in your reply, but I think you are missing it's true meaning. $900 now is not much compared to the tax we will be paying back on it. So, you get a small amount of relief now, only to get smashed in the coming years. It's a band-aid fix which is going to hurt in the long run.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:55 PM   #36
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51RTE
So true alot of people only see the short term gain not the long term loss
Yep.. in effect we should be looking at this $900 as a personal loan from the govt.. the difference is you don't have a choice about taking it, nor do you have a choice about how you're going to pay it back... hidden repayments in the form of taxes will take care of that.... WITH interest.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:59 PM   #37
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFXRScott
Long post put everything about package

One-off cash bonus for eligible Australians

Taxpayers may not be eligible for the payment if their tax
payable and Medicare levy less tax offsets and/or imputation
credits resulted in $nil tax payable in 2007-08. For example if
they earned less than $11,000 in 2007-08 and are entitled to the
low income tax offset
, they would not have a tax liability and
therefore would not be entitled to the tax bonus payment.
See, last year while i was at school, my income for the year was $11035, and even with my work uniform claim, i still dont think i got the total tax witheld back, so im confused whether or not ill get it.
bloggs24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2009, 08:03 PM   #38
RPO83
ĕm-bär'gō? 2016

All I can say is "Where can we get these placebos?"
RPO83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2009, 08:14 PM   #39
Deech
Making smalltorque

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggs24
See, last year while i was at school, my income for the year was $11035, and even with my work uniform claim, i still dont think i got the total tax witheld back, so im confused whether or not ill get it.
If money got taken from your pay as income tax, and you got anything less than all of it back at the end of the financial year, you paid tax.
Even if it were a single dollar, as long as you submitted last year's tax return, and got anything less than a complete refund (ie earnt higher than the no tax threshold [$6k?]), you'll be eligible.

Edit, this calculator will confirm http://calculators.ato.gov.au/script...=ESB.xr4&go=ok

You need last year's tax return on hand
When your engine bay catches alight, you try and convince the police that it came that way from the factory. They believe you and leave.
Deech is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2009, 08:21 PM   #40
dandandandan

Quote:
If $900 is the difference between survival and extinction, then these people have a lot more to worry about. $900 doesn't last long. Having read various forums, most people seem to be spending the money on tattoos, cd players or drugs, not necessary items like food and what not.
Yeah of course those that are in dire need of these funds have bigger things to worry about but the fact is heaps of people need this money and they need it now regardless of how much we will have to repay.
Various forums are just a small amount of the population. They can spend this money on whatever they like but it doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of people that are out of jobs and need this money or are struggling to pay things off like home loans, car loans, insurance etc.

Quote:
You grazed over the point in your reply, but I think you are missing it's true meaning. $900 now is not much compared to the tax we will be paying back on it. So, you get a small amount of relief now, only to get smashed in the coming years. It's a band-aid fix which is going to hurt in the long run.
I don't think anyone believes that this stimulus package is the saviour to the world wide recession. It is a band aid fix, that I agree with but it doesn't take away the fact that we're going through very (but understated) difficult financial times and action needs to be taken to atleast try to help people and businesses out.

We've always been "smashed" with our taxing on goods and services and with our super high income tax that seems to dissipate into avenues that see no benefits for the wider community but I don't believe I've grazed over the point at all. There is no one fix solution or long term strategy that will ensure our country's financial future. Like businesses we're just as susceptible to any financial turmoil that the world feels.

BA MKII XR6T, Vixen, Leather, Sunroof.
Stock as a rock... Till after xmas :evil3:
dandandandan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2009, 08:36 PM   #41
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deech
Edit, this calculator will confirm http://calculators.ato.gov.au/script...=ESB.xr4&go=ok

You need last year's tax return on hand

YES!!! Just used that calculator to confirm my $900 payment, feeling very good right now.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2009, 08:59 PM   #42
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

the best thing about this is i earned over $80,000 last financial year but only $25,000 of it was taxable income. so i get the full $900, awsome.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2009, 09:07 PM   #43
Deech
Making smalltorque

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic
the best thing about this is i earned over $80,000 last financial year but only $25,000 of it was taxable income. so i get the full $900, awsome.
Taking a stab at it... Spent a while overseas?
When your engine bay catches alight, you try and convince the police that it came that way from the factory. They believe you and leave.
Deech is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2009, 09:18 PM   #44
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thinks it's fantastic that the hours I worked to earn the $70k I paid in taxes last year was worth the hard slog and that the money is going to a good cause...I'd much rather our taxes were spent in this way rather than improving health, education, transport and law enforcement.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2009, 09:21 PM   #45
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
I thinks it's fantastic that the hours I worked to earn the $70k I paid in taxes last year was worth the hard slog and that the money is going to a good cause...I'd much rather our taxes were spent in this way rather than improving health, education, transport and law enforcement.
Wow $70k in taxes. You must earn a lot to pay that much in tax.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2009, 09:26 PM   #46
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Wow $70k in taxes. You must earn a lot to pay that much in tax.

I do Ok, but if I divided my salary by the number of hours I work in a year , I probably get not much more per hour than you _2:

EDIT: My ex wife loves it
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
Old 03-04-2009, 09:31 PM   #47
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I do Ok, but if I divided my salary by the number of hours I work in a year , I probably get not much more per hour than you _2:

EDIT: My ex wife loves it
I have no idea what my hourly rate is. I'm a public Servant. I go to work and each fortnight get paid.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:34 PM   #48
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have no idea what my hourly rate is. I'm a public Servant.

As a matter of fact, nor do I.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:02 PM   #49
Redmund
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandandandan
There is no one fix solution or long term strategy that will ensure our country's financial future. Like businesses we're just as susceptible to any financial turmoil that the world feels.
Of course there is.

Help small business and re-introduce manufacturing. They were the backbone of this country and kept a lot of people employed.

People think this struggle is inevitable. No, it is not. If we had business and local product, we would survive and prosper. Unfortunately we do not. We import everything. Our government is borrowing money from foreign sources at massively inflated interest rates. If our government really cared, they would fix the problem by offering more incentives for businesses to hire staff and produce goods and food locally.

Regardless of the blatantly obvious facts, this stimulus package is going to hurt this country long term. Guaranteed.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:05 PM   #50
Redmund
Banned

Quote:
You and I have to love clueless governments, welfare and medicare. I wish I only paid 70k tax.

Almost makes you want to throw it all in and work 9-5 like the rest of the population.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:06 PM   #51
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Quote: Originally Posted by fordomatic the best thing about this is i earned over $80,000 last financial year but only $25,000 of it was taxable income. so i get the full $900, awsome.

originally posted by deech
Taking a stab at it... Spent a while overseas?
yeh mate spent a while overseas, about to go back too :
Old 03-04-2009, 10:12 PM   #52
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You and I have to love clueless governments, welfare and medicare. I wish I only paid 70k tax.

Almost makes you want to throw it all in and work 9-5 like the rest of the population.

Well I thank you for agreeing with me champ...I just copped a flaming by PM from a long time member I thought would have agreed.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:19 PM   #53
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

we all have to love clueless people who post flames for someone paying 70g tax. you guys are the ones that are prob holding all this together at the moment.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:28 PM   #54
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic
we all have to love clueless people who post flames for someone paying 70g tax. you guys are the ones that are prob holding all this together at the moment.

Mate, the way society works there's a pecking order

There's those that are business owners who provide employment opportunities for those that either (1) don't want to wear the financial risk of running a business, or (2) those that don't mind the risk so much but enjoy the security of a salary and 4 weeks paid leave a year without worrying whats going on back at the farm. Incidently the latter is the category I fall into

Business owners are not all wealthy as some like to stereotype them. They can come from within the ranks of both the rich or average Joe, but one things for sure nobody was ever offered a job from a poor man, so this philosophy that some people have about the wealthy being elitists and crooks doesn't sit well with me.

If it wasn't for rich people unemployment would be in the mid to high 20's

Old 03-04-2009, 10:32 PM   #55
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I just copped a flaming by PM from a long time member I thought would have agreed.
Not cool. Not sure why people go that one step too far. Your entitled to your opinions. It's upto us whether we choose to agree or not.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:34 PM   #56
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not cool. Not sure why people go that one step too far. Your entitled to your opinions. It's upto us whether we choose to agree or not.

Well I'm not happy either...In fact the fool admitted he'd been on the turps which he gave as the reason for PM'ing me rather than posting in the thread.

If he'd posted here he would have copped a bit of stick from the mods I suspect such was the tone of his text

Thanks for your support champ

Old 03-04-2009, 10:36 PM   #57
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Mate, the way society works there's a pecking order

There's those that are business owners who provide employment opportunities for those that either (1) don't want to wear the financial risk of running a business, or (2) those that don't mind the risk so much but enjoy the security of a salary and 4 weeks paid leave a year without worrying whats going on back at the farm. Incidently the latter is the category I fall into

Business owners are not all wealthy as some like to stereotype them. They can come from within the ranks of both the rich or average Joe, but one things for sure nobody was ever offered a job from a poor man, so this philosophy that some people have about the wealthy being elitists and crooks doesn't sit well with me.

If it wasn't for rich people unemployment would be in the mid to high 20's
Here here..

Old 03-04-2009, 10:43 PM   #58
Barry_v
rocknrolla

the most heavily taxed population in the world gets a small amount back in the form of a once off payment. and the sky is falling.

how about you business owners stop trying to make blue collar workers sound like a bunch of thoughtless morons. ill bet your accountants made more than $900 for you by 'tax minimization' last year so DONT get all high and mighty.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2009, 10:47 PM   #59
Redmund
Banned

Quote:
Well I thank you for agreeing with me champ...I just copped a flaming by PM from a long time member I thought would have agreed.
Almost certainly a 9-5 man with not much else going for him.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:52 PM   #60
Redmund
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_v
the most heavily taxed population in the world gets a small amount back in the form of a once off payment. and the sky is falling.

how about you business owners stop trying to make blue collar workers sound like a bunch of thoughtless morons. ill bet your accountants made more than $900 for you by 'tax minimization' last year so DONT get all high and mighty.
Would you like to come and file my BAS? Pay GST monthly? Pay employer superannuation? Pay payroll tax? Pay a royalty? Pay leave? Pay loading? Pay holiday pay? Pay bonuses? Monitor thieving staff? Stay up until 4 am doing paperwork, then up at 7 am to do it all again? What incentive do I, as a business owner have? I don't get any grants. No help. It gets harder and harder every single year.

Swap you any day.

Last edited by Redmund; 03-04-2009 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Added to.