Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Best 98 octane PULP
BP Ultimate 116 53.21%
Caltex Vortex 98 31 14.22%
Mobil Synergy 8000 42 19.27%
Shell Optimax 49 22.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19-01-2005, 07:13 PM   #31
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I've had no problem's with Optimax and that's all I've ever put in, but I'd like to try the other's, as long as it's 98ron I think I'll be right.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2005, 07:47 PM   #32
BJ
Banned

Thumbs up Good for mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
I noticed an article in the Jan 2005 Street Machine about fuel especially for performance, heres the gist of the article.

Mike Campbell from TOCA did the testing, and this is apparently regarding street cars with 12:1 compression or less.

Bp Ultimate mixed with Nulon Pro Strength Octaine booster, mixed normally as per the instructions on the bottle, yielded the best results. On a 351 windsor, running avgas it made 500hp/410ft-lb. On the ultimate nulon brew it made 525hp/420ft-lb.

ofcourse this isnt as good as an oxygenated fuel like VP-SV05 which runs up to 17:1 compression, but its not as expensive either.

I'm going to try this at heathcote and see what happens. who knows, it might not be BS! lol
I can tell you it is not bull. i use to run nothing but av-gas in the XC 12.5.1 and i tryed what Bob kotmel wrote and it has been great, and i even picked up and extra 15 hp to boot. The best thing is going from $2.50 a liter to 98c for the BP ultimate, so yes i can say it worked for me. Even with the Nulon booster it still works out cheaper than runing av-gas.

Last edited by BJ; 19-01-2005 at 07:49 PM.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2005, 07:51 PM   #33
bedflute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
APS did an independant study on Vic fuels and found that Shell and Mobil were the most consistant out of the lot and had the highest true octane rating

I've heard that depending on where in Australia you are though, that different branded fuels may come from the same plant, depending on which company has the closest rig and facilities?
as far as i know bp ultimate is made in perth no where else so mite be a bit old in vic servos
bedflute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2005, 09:49 PM   #34
Dodge
i like to be stroked

im using 50% av gas 50 % bp and a splash of octane booster and a shot of NOS in my lawnmower LOL just kidding , but i did run it on avgas as i had 20 ltrs sittn around .
I am yet to fill the tank on my mustang, i did drain out the yanky feul and its a yellow with a slight orange colour, oct was lower than ours so i used a octane booster.
Old 19-01-2005, 10:22 PM   #35
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH7472
I can tell you it is not bull. i use to run nothing but av-gas in the XC 12.5.1 and i tryed what Bob kotmel wrote and it has been great, and i even picked up and extra 15 hp to boot. The best thing is going from $2.50 a liter to 98c for the BP ultimate, so yes i can say it worked for me. Even with the Nulon booster it still works out cheaper than runing av-gas.
sounds good to me! I think ill stop up on some octane boost then.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2005, 01:15 AM   #36
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ultimate and synergy get my vote

i used to use optimax when it first came out, and it was fine...but over the years ive had quite a number of tanks of optimax that have caused pinging problems...no problems at all with the ultimate or synergy.

and with the SP20, optimax results in pinging, and poor starting, but the others are fine...got me stuffed why considering theyre all sposed to be 98...
Old 20-01-2005, 07:37 AM   #37
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFPV8
Rodderz thats true but these tests were only done in Melbourne and Sydney the results were Shell Optimax and Mobil Snergy were hard to split the BP ultimate was there last chioce..these are all 98 ron fuels...
Vortex is 96 ron at the moment but Caltex has started rolling it out to some servo's in a 98 ron...see there website for more info..
If funny though after reading this thread (not the votes yet) it seems most of us would drive past a Shell to get to BP!

I run either BP or Mobil, most of the time it's BP, because there are more BP's and I have to drive 20-25 minutes to find a Mobil.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2005, 11:45 AM   #38
james

Ultimate 98 is pretty consistant, Shell is rubbish, the new Vortex is good as well. Aparently its running at 100 at the moment. untill they get the mix consistant. (6mts)
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2005, 05:07 PM   #39
EASPRINT
FPV GT-P 335!

MOBIL Synergy 8000......excellent!!
SHELL OPTIMAX........useless!!

Everytime i've tried Shell..my car just pings flat out!. I found out the hard way a couple of years ago at spring nats dyno shootout.lol
Old 20-01-2005, 09:00 PM   #40
Blessed XR8
"Get Me Outta Here!"

The BP Ultimate I get here is leaps and bounds... ok maybe not leaps and bounds... but it's the only pulp I have never had problems with. If I could restrain myself from seeing if my car can fit in the gap between the car/turck/caravan infront and that car/truck/caravan to my left or right on the way to and from work everyday I might be able to do an unbiased test on each of them for economy... but it's to hard to resist.
Blessed XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2005, 07:44 AM   #41
xceler8shun
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH7472

Wow 98c for BP Ultimate!!!, its $1.16 here in Orange at the moment, Optimax is $1.06 same with Vortex.

I still fill up with Ultimate though.

Last edited by xceler8shun; 21-01-2005 at 07:47 AM.
xceler8shun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2005, 05:21 PM   #42
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Ultimate Synergy Vortex.....Won't use Shell as I can't stand the whingeing crying DJ...LOL
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2005, 05:02 AM   #43
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Bp Ultimate is the best of them all than Mobil. I use Bp because it 9cent different to Mobil 11cent different for the same. I noticed that I can get up to 50km more to a tank with the Bp over Shell.
Old 23-01-2005, 08:13 PM   #44
Steffo
LPG > You

I could never be picky about petrol... when its time to fill up.. I pull into whatever pump is closest to me. Probably always going to be like that with me.
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2005, 09:04 PM   #45
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

Mobil Synergy 8000,most of the time then Optimax seems to be ok to me.
Cheers Johm

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2005, 10:38 PM   #46
Philbie
Drvtme

BP Ultimate - gets my vote

What on earth is going on!........i’m Back in the ford camp.....#2019
Philbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2005, 10:50 PM   #47
xdclevo
The Fun Mobile

BP Ultimate @ 1.08 cents/liter. It is the only 98 fuel availl in Cairns.
I went from shell premium to BP.

No more run on(used to run on real bad)
No more fouled plugs
2V powahhhhh
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2005, 01:24 PM   #48
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

I've used the 8000 & BP Ultimate but it's not for me. Optimax is my fuel. Never had any issue's with Optimax at all. Plus I've found I get more out of the tank with it.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2005, 07:30 PM   #49
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

yeah been usin BP ultimate for a while now wqas using vortex gold but found car hard to start
Old 24-01-2005, 09:25 PM   #50
XRchic
Hello

BP Ulimate here. Then Mobil Synergy. We dont have Optimax here, but as far as Ive heard, I wouldnt use it. My car has a Unichip (among other mods) so it is tuned for 98 and the guys who did it recommended Ultimate... Have used that mostly, and a bit of Synergy here and there. All good. Better fuel economy too.

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2005, 11:52 PM   #51
eb2flyz
bettering 13.7

i voted for bp ultimate only because that is all we have over here in Wait Awhile, other than that the only other one i use vortex ( only 95 ron )

FPV/Tickford Club of W.A

Performance is Electronic

BPT Motorsport
eb2flyz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2005, 05:42 PM   #52
kooky
WRX terrorist

was at a dyno day last week 3 cars pinged their tits off. Common theme? all running optimax, optiping or craptimax which ever way you spell it its still sh!t. One of these cars was 3 weeks old!
BP ultimate or Synergy 8000 here I have used Vortex Gold with great results also.
Old 25-01-2005, 11:49 PM   #53
BJ
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooky
was at a dyno day last week 3 cars pinged their tits off. Common theme? all running optimax, optiping or craptimax which ever way you spell it its still sh!t. One of these cars was 3 weeks old!
BP ultimate or Synergy 8000 here I have used Vortex Gold with great results also.
I love it optiping or craptimax brilliant.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2005, 06:14 AM   #54
hambo_12

I chose optimax, but, I cant really tell the difference between ultimate and optimax, they are both great...
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2005, 10:42 PM   #55
Brute33
Boss 350

BP Ultimate and nothing else.
Brute33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2005, 10:47 PM   #56
b2tf
not here much anymore

Never again will i put Opticrap in my car, they got a bad batch of it down here, the bloody thing wouldnt start.

Vortex all the way - been running it for over a year, a very noticable difference if anything else is put in.
Old 27-01-2005, 11:26 PM   #57
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Well, well well, let me just say that yesterday I finally tried BP ultimate, and I must say it is fantastic, on the hwy I managed to get 8.1 litre's per 100klm, where as with the optimax the best I could get was 9.3, it is great.
Old 30-01-2005, 04:38 PM   #58
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Well it quite clear that BP has got the good stuff by all the vote & comment that have been made about BP. Just wish they had 4cent disscount like a few others.
Old 30-01-2005, 04:59 PM   #59
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIII XR8 MAN
Well it quite clear that BP has got the good stuff by all the vote & comment that have been made about BP. Just wish they had 4cent disscount like a few others.
It would be good if they had discounted fuel like the Shell, because that's the only reason why I used Shell because we shop at Cole's, but with that millage I'm still going with BP, I filled up here at the BP servo in Bendigo, went straight to the BP servo in Torguay via Geelong which is 200klm's exactly and it used 16litre's for the trip, which like I said is 8litre's per 100klm, I had the cruise set on 106klm like I allway's do, that is great fuel consumption for an XR8 auto with about 230kw, it work's out to roughly 840klm to a tank on the hwy, but that's running it bone dry, but still 800 odd klm's to a tank is fantastic. I'd like to know if it has given me anymore power, I haven't really put the foot down in town to see yet, I've only put the one tank in so far.
Old 30-01-2005, 05:08 PM   #60
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

I been using the BP in mine now for some time & get well over 650km to a tank with freeway & city driving with a little bit of fangging thrown in. Every now & them I do use Optimax because of the shopping disscount plus Shell been up to 13cent cheaper plus discount than BP. Yes I do notice the power differents between the two.