Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

View Poll Results: Which way should I go?
XR6 - You get the stuff already done, all you really need is the interior 82 65.60%
Stock - Its not that much effort to do it up 43 34.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 19-03-2006, 10:33 PM   #31
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout
Two black lines says it is.
haha mad call
Old 19-03-2006, 10:36 PM   #32
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Great call lol!!!

Become an E-Series Owners Club Member Today!
http://eseries.com.au/index.php/membership/
Old 19-03-2006, 10:40 PM   #33
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
For one who is usually quiet...the Stig makes some good points.

I dont think I have driven an LSD equipt car, is it that much better?
It would be my first modification if I bought a Futura/Gli, so much more control, especially with a manual as well.
Old 19-03-2006, 10:47 PM   #34
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

LSDs are awesome non of this single spinner crap. Just gotta make aure your car has enough power to spin em lol!!!

Become an E-Series Owners Club Member Today!
http://eseries.com.au/index.php/membership/
Old 19-03-2006, 10:49 PM   #35
XRated
Shoot.

Go the XR if you can afford it. At the end of the day, your done up Falcon is still only going to be a base model.

Mine's a GLi with parts from everything, but at the end of the day it's still a lowly GLi! I'd much rather it was a Fairmont or XR. I don't know if it's just me, but once you start changing the interior etc things just don't feel the same. Get a car that's got 80% of what you want already, and if it takes longer for mods so be it. But whatever tickles your fancy.

20V Turbo

Old 19-03-2006, 10:56 PM   #36
2kool4u

Location: I live in my own little world, but it's alright, the people know me here

Personally I would just get a ghia, but thats cause i can't drive a manual :P

But seriously, get the futura and put a ghia interior in it and the mods you listed. For your money you'll get a much nicer car than the XR6. Personally I can't stand the front of the XR's anyway.
Old 20-03-2006, 12:23 AM   #37
NZ
~~~

Driving an LSD car IS different. Cornering (normally here) it feels like the car is pushing around the corner more diectly where single spinner it gives the impression that the car is being towed around. Its something you have to experience to know what i'm talking about

"the man that crashs AFF"
Old 20-03-2006, 12:52 AM   #38
theboss290
FPV GT

I had a look at a EF XR6 and EL XR6 the other weekend . The EF was 9k and the EL was 8.7k so for the price I would look around a little harder and get the XR. You can get them in your price range.
Old 20-03-2006, 02:37 AM   #39
FPVWEPN
Team Urinal Cake Racing

get the futura exactly what i did didnt have the cash for an xr but i already had a dev head & cam waiting for it and a 4.11lsd so i didnt need the xr extra's and now ive got a car thats better than an xr
Old 20-03-2006, 02:49 AM   #40
Stig

What an LSD does for you, if driven hard, is give you controlable powerslides...

On open dif cars, especially in the wet, when you pour on too much power, the rear steps out, you freak out and step off the throttle, then the rear snaps back and you're in fishtale territory... As the inside wheel spins up, the outside wheel is just a passenger, and when you fishtale, the power transfers from left to right to left etc...

On LSD cars, there's no changing on power characteristics. When the rear lets go it does so slowly and controlably.

But if you have an underpowered car and love smoking up the rear, go open diff, as you'll have trouble smoking up both tyres...
Old 20-03-2006, 02:54 AM   #41
XRated
Shoot.

Single spinners are freaking dangerous in my opinion. I can't wait to get LSD so I can give it more stick and feel more in control.

20V Turbo

Old 20-03-2006, 02:58 AM   #42
EL_futura
Starter Motor

Some good comments here...

Personally I'd go the futura (nah not biased at all!!) cause they are alot cheaper, and if you get one which is manual then you'd be laughing. Extractors and exhaust and you will be keeping up with, if not beating equivalent xr's. I'm a testament to this and my cars auto and beaten manual xr's.

Have you considered the Fairmont at all? They have most of the luxuries as a ghia - just lacking the leather interior, which really isn't that much of a loss if you ask me. You still get the full instrument display, climate control and power windows. Only downside is as you have already mentioned and that it will most likely be auto. But seriously if you plan all those interior mods then I reckon it would be easier to convert to 5spd man than going through the whole interior mod.

Also the fairmonts have a better headlight setup if that means anything to ya - better highbeam.

Cheers
Matt
Old 20-03-2006, 09:31 AM   #43
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

Interesting debate. It's worth mentioning that in the real world, it isn't always a case of XRs being more expensive (etc) and there are bargains out there.

The only thing I can add is that I'd rather focus on condition and service history as a priority as it will leave you extra dollars for mods to bring it well and truly above XR spec. The cost of an EF XR head gasket job by a pro is quite similar to an EL Fairmont manual conversion done at home...
Old 20-03-2006, 10:35 AM   #44
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Trouty...if anyone out there is willing to help me convert a ghia to a manual then I will do it....But I dont want to pay some garage a huge amount to do it.

If anyone is serious, and in VIC, then I am willing to go down that path. Obviously there will be some cash paid to who ever helps.

But yeah....the chances are slim.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 20-03-2006, 11:02 AM   #45
MustangNicko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
one guy wants 9800 on carsales for a EL XR6, 177000k's, 5 speed but NO reg or RWC. His insane. I offered him $8500 cash over the phone but he wont budge.
lol id take 8500 cash for mine :P
Old 20-03-2006, 11:09 AM   #46
clampy
Mr Extraordinary

same question as years ago with the 'why buy a gt'..

even if your plans end up replacing most of what make the xr an xr.. its still an xr. they somethin special i tihnk. hence my purchase.
Old 20-03-2006, 05:32 PM   #47
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig
XR concerns...

The XR is lowered... but you need to lower it more anyhow... so the XR premium is a waste...

Most XR owners go for aftermarket rims... so again, watsed premium for the standard XR 17s...

XRs are common as hell and needs to be blinged up to look different, nice... Again... why pay the premium...

XR pros

LSD!!!
You would have a lot more trouble trying to make a gli/fairmont look as less common than you would an XR py:

Some more XR Pros:

- Alloy tailshaft
- Speed limiter removed
- ECU to accomodate for slightly larger cam and different flowing head to standard.
- Bigger fuel pressure regulator
- Mid series cluster with volts and oil pressure
- Leather steering wheel
- Better seats
- 3.45 LSD
- Better resale
- Better base to start with in terms of looks (front end, kit etc)
- XR badge
Old 20-03-2006, 05:53 PM   #48
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

well a bit of an update.

I drove that EF XR6 manual that is advertised for $8999 in the trading post. In general its ok, but has a vibration from the clutch or something that vibrates everything, and is pretty audible from inside. happens as soon as you it 4000rpm. Weird, as it doesn't do it all the time.

I managed to haggle them to $8000 inc on road costs. Which isn't to bad.

Then I drove a EL Ghia, the steering is SO LIGHT. Way to light if you ask me, it was weird. The interior was immaculate except for some bloody phone holder holds on the centre console.why do people to that! But this one was owned by a chick in St.Kilda and it has dings all over it. She wants $6999, I offered $5500 as the dints will cost atleast $700-900 to fix.

But that interior is soooo nice.

I am driving another EL Ghia tomorrow...if thats a ИИИИter then its either going to be a Futura or that XR6 I have on hold.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 20-03-2006, 06:06 PM   #49
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

Nice going, keep us posted

About the EL steering, it may have variable weighting which makes it firmer at speed. Also, the overall weighting becomes substantially heavier when wider wheels are fitted. I found my EA a bit too light at first but it was quite good with the 16s I had.
Old 20-03-2006, 06:18 PM   #50
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

variable steering...in a falcon...well thats news to me!

Im still torn..I like the 5 speeds, but the EL ghia interior is something else. If I was to get a ghia it would have to be at a price so I can lower it and get some cromies ASAP. Id love to make my own little 300C....lol :

Im thinking of offering the EF 5 speed futura guy..4000. I mean I can get a EL ghia for $6-7, and then I get the interior and xr drivetrain. $6500 or $5000 seems a bit high for a stocko falcon thats 10 years old.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 20-03-2006, 06:46 PM   #51
MustangNicko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Clear your inbox mate, im tryin to send you a pm
Old 20-03-2006, 06:50 PM   #52
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

sorry niko...cleared
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 20-03-2006, 06:52 PM   #53
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Hmm hopefully (if you go the futura route) you get it for $4k...
Old 20-03-2006, 06:52 PM   #54
XRated
Shoot.

If you pay $6k for an EL Ghia, that's a frigging good price.

By the way, I'm sure you'd get the help you need in changing over to a T5. I gave it my best shot, but got a couple of guys on here to do the parts I wasn't sure about. It's all pretty simple.

20V Turbo

Last edited by XRated; 20-03-2006 at 06:57 PM.
Old 20-03-2006, 06:55 PM   #55
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

An EL Ghia for 6k? Damn that's cheap, even for a 6cyl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Old 20-03-2006, 07:00 PM   #56
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
Hmm hopefully (if you go the futura route) you get it for $4k...
thats the plan....the owner has moved to canada. I called that number you gave me but she refferred me to another person who has lost teh number..lol..im calling back in the morning.

Yes these ghias are going cheap. The one I looked at today did need a bit of TLC on the body. Usual city dings, but she did hit a pole and scratch the right passengers door, and bend the fender where it meets the rear right wheel.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 20-03-2006, 07:02 PM   #57
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

My steering is light as hell, and I love it!
Old 20-03-2006, 07:05 PM   #58
335JET
@jas_23_

this is the same decision i had to make about 7 months ago. As much as i would love to own an EL XR6 or XR8. i just couldnt believe how much insurance was going to cost me, so i started the long search for an imaculate EF or EL futura with low k's and most importantly, a stock 5 speed, so fairmont and fairmont ghia were out of the question.
I finally found a silver futura sapphire with 94000km and that manual gearbox, and insurance is one third of what i would pay for an XR.
Old 20-03-2006, 07:05 PM   #59
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

actually ill chuck up some pics of that damaged ghia...two secs
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 20-03-2006, 07:07 PM   #60
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSS 4LTR
this is the same decision i had to make about 7 months ago. As much as i would love to own an EL XR6 or XR8. i just couldnt believe how much insurance was going to cost me, so i started the long search for an imaculate EF or EL futura with low k's and most importantly, a stock 5 speed, so fairmont and fairmont ghia were out of the question.
I finally found a silver futura sapphire with 94000km and that manual gearbox, and insurance is one third of what i would pay for an XR.
good point....but what about when you mod it? cam, exhuast, lowering etc etc...is it still lower than a XR?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Closed Thread