Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-06-2007, 04:43 PM   #31
Force6

Quote:
Originally Posted by flukey77
This car is powered by a V6, its a smaller version of the global alloytec engine platform. And I actually think that inline 6 engines are a better design than a V6. Inline motors seem to be more balanced.
I don't know if you're really referring to the Epica, but if so, it is powered by a 2.0 and 2.5L I6. And just because an inline 6 has greater inherent balance characteristics, doesn't make it more balanced. The Barra I6 is by no means a perfectly balanced engine.

The power figures coming out of that Epica seem pretty damn pathetic but it achieves quite economical milage figures, and that's really what the car is aiming for.
Force6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 04:46 PM   #32
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
engine and transmission EPICA
2.0 L6 DOHC MPI engine 105kW/195Nm*
2.5 L6 DOHC MPI engine 115kW/237Nm*

A V6 that develops 105kw or 115kw ????, the FIESTA XR4 has that !!!!
Maybe these engines are intentionally detuned to achieve better fuel economy. Remember, people who buy cars in this class dont give a rats about power figures, all they're worried about is how much fuel it will use.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 04:50 PM   #33
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmuscle1965
Holden Epica's(camira)
Hahaha. I wonder if this thing will win COTY too :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 05:06 PM   #34
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Epica is seriously bad, The headlights are whack and the power is non existant. Ive seen a few on the road and have good look at parked ones and i would not drive on for a bet, it screams 1990s Korean, its like owning a 1997 Hyundai Grandeur. Even Hyundai has moved on.

Now in its market i can pick about 5 cars which are easily better, Camry which has more grunt and same fuel economy, Sonata, which snots the both of them, hell even a Kia Magentis has more grunt. Holden has tried to fill the gap since they lost Apollo (Vectra was a different price league) and has imported this bland pointless car, which of course will no doubt sell to geriatrics and the uninformed because its quite, cheap and reasonable comfortable- but most definetely a POS.

Now the thinking man would avoid this thing like the plague and with Hyundai desperate to sell Sonata's (which arent selling) and the MMAL dealer latching onto you like a leech to buy a Series 2 380 youd have to have rocks in your head and whoever buys the top of the range one should be committed.

Interesting footnot by the way the motor the I6 was developed in conjunction with porsche in 2000 for the Daewoo Magnus Which of course raises questions-

1. What does the worlds foremost boxer engine builder know about I6's?
2. Did the partnership involve more than some Korean faxing an A4 sheet of paper with spec to Porsche in Germany?

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods

Last edited by Fairlane; 25-06-2007 at 05:12 PM.
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 05:28 PM   #35
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious
isnt epica the new vectra? and no, i havent seen one yet..
the vectra was the replacment for the camira! :P I haven't seen one as yet either.
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 05:29 PM   #36
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

The Holden Epica is a Daewoo Tosca as found in Korea, Vauxhall/Opel in Europe aren't selling it, they do sell Antara (Captiva).

It just goes to show that the local car manufacture's are clutching at straws, at least ford is sourcing from Europe. It's a worry that Holden is sourcing from Korea, even though Daewoo is backed by GM these days, i'd still be concerned.

Recommend trading with Mechan1k, Offyaguts, EDMONTY, PhantomXR8, HOTC2R, Partie & JC
Au2falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 05:30 PM   #37
Lagom

Quote:
A V6 would probably make more than this. This car is powered by a straight six going east-west across the engine bay! Tose Korean's might want to pick the phone up and talk to Ford Australia if they want to know how to make some power out of a straight six!
The funny thing is the 2.0 six makes more power and torque per litre than the Barra190!

At the end it's a cheap, roomy medium car that is aimed at Camry buyers. Someone out there will want one
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 06:33 PM   #38
Fordmuscle1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagom
The funny thing is the 2.0 six makes more power and torque per litre than the Barra190!

At the end it's a cheap, roomy medium car that is aimed at Camry buyers. Someone out there will want one
What drugs are you on mate? Give me 4 litres anyday Stuff the economy I want to pass that road train ahead. :
Only Milk and Juice comes in 2 litre's
Fordmuscle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 06:36 PM   #39
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:

That maybe the case ... but when it comes to real world figres you need to look at power to weight ratio moreso ... that's where there is a difference.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 06:42 PM   #40
kinksta
Luxojet

this is funny, i saw one across the road here in hahndorf and thought gee there ain't to many of those around, and bugger me dead there is a thread on it. My dad took one for a drive, and said that they are pretty neat inside, and well finished off but the best part was how smooth it was (yet gutless). week later he bought a mazda6 which is a much better car, hahaha.
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 08:08 PM   #41
blackwood
FiSTed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
That's the Craptiva ..... sorry ... Captiva.
Looks like it drives OK on roof tops of buildings ... but apparently crap on road.
Not sure what other vehicle comes standard with anti-roll-over protection for overtaking maneouvres.
Has anyone heard the radio ads for the diesel Captiva?

"Holden Captiva now comes with a turbo diesel."

"Which you can't get in the Ford Territory, cause Territory doesn't have one!"

Well no **** butthole. I think I'll buy the Terri' anyway. lol.

P.S: The Apollo/Camry replaced the Camira. The Vectra replaced the Apollo
and Epica has replaced the Vectra.
IIRC, the Camira was the replacement for the Torana?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Said on Mt Panorama
Man if this track were in America it would be illegal!
blackwood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 08:13 PM   #42
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I've seen one, with custom plates that said EPICA. What kind of loser boasts of owning one? :
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 08:23 PM   #43
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Aint seen any epicas yet thank god lol, and only one craptiva, but in good news seen bloody lots of Rangers and BT-50's.
Old 25-06-2007, 08:34 PM   #44
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:

My motorbike makes more power per litre than a Barra190 doesnt mean its going to work in a car! I seriously hate those ricer comments especially the ones like ooohhh your ford redlines at 5500rpm.
It means **** i've got a 100cc 2stroke yamaha and it revs HEAPS but it doesnt mean anything.

Quite disappointed that Porsche designed such a pathetic engine Commodores and Falcons were making that power 20 years ago they should of just got an old Nissan design or something.

But I suppose anybody who has driven a Holden 202 will be rite at home in a Epica lol
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 08:51 PM   #45
colossus
Secret Sleuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I've seen one, with custom plates that said EPICA. What kind of loser boasts of owning one? :
Maybe they are boasting about how EPIC the journey is to the speed limit. Didn't drive or someone test them at 18 seconds from 0-100?
Old 25-06-2007, 08:55 PM   #46
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Surely not 18seconds!, thats twice as long as my EB takes!
Old 25-06-2007, 08:58 PM   #47
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossus
Maybe they are boasting about how EPIC the journey is to the speed limit. Didn't drive or someone test them at 18 seconds from 0-100?
12 I think. About as slow as it gets without going to a commercial vehicle.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 09:53 PM   #48
goXF
Now AU powered

seen a few getting a tint put on at tint-a-car next to where i work.

Current Car: 2002 AU3 Falcon Forte sedan, 51,000Km when purchased - NOW: 81,000Km.
goXF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 10:03 PM   #49
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...parisonID=1029

0-100 fully laden = 16.4 secs. May keep up with a 87 4.0L landcruiser.

In this day in age trying to pass off a "big car" with "fuel economy" in the same sentance usually equals little or no power. I hope they can it soon.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 10:14 PM   #50
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoods
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...parisonID=1029

0-100 fully laden = 16.4 secs. May keep up with a 87 4.0L landcruiser.

In this day in age trying to pass off a "big car" with "fuel economy" in the same sentance usually equals little or no power. I hope they can it soon.

powaaaahhh

Nice link- I think a suzuki mighty boy is faster

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2007, 11:48 PM   #51
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

God, the dam'n epica is faster than my Mercedes Benz 2.9L 5 cyl. diesel work van! Next time I'll try it without the trailer on the back!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 12:01 AM   #52
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Seen one today, looks as big as an omega from the distance, it wont do any good, holden couldnt sell the vectra which was a half decent car, now they got no chance.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 09:17 AM   #53
Fordmuscle1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by goXF
seen a few getting a tint put on at tint-a-car next to where i work.
Would you want to be seen in one? or see people laughing and pointing their finger at you?
Fordmuscle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 10:32 AM   #54
flukey77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force6
I don't know if you're really referring to the Epica, but if so, it is powered by a 2.0 and 2.5L I6. And just because an inline 6 has greater inherent balance characteristics, doesn't make it more balanced. The Barra I6 is by no means a perfectly balanced engine.

The power figures coming out of that Epica seem pretty damn pathetic but it achieves quite economical milage figures, and that's really what the car is aiming for.
My bad, I was thinking of the Captiva for some strange reason. Yeh the balance of an engine is entirely dependant on the design and tolerances used in its construction, but theoretically an inline design is more balanced.

I think half the reason for its economical figures is because it has to sit and draft behind all the caavans on the highway since it doesnt have the power to overtake them, lol.
flukey77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 10:32 PM   #55
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb02
We put on a new rep recently who requested one as her company vehicle. Her request was denied because I don't rate the long term quality of Daewoos or Korean built cars..
What was her reaction when you denied her request and what car did you give her?

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2007, 10:51 PM   #56
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Quote:
Would you want to be seen in one? or see people laughing and pointing their finger at you?
LMAO .. too true .. thats y all commodores have black tint lolz
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2007, 11:59 AM   #57
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

I saw one this morning didnt look too bad . I wouldn't drive one though the idiots put a Holden badge on it !
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2007, 01:39 PM   #58
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddarby
God, the dam'n epica is faster than my Mercedes Benz 2.9L 5 cyl. diesel work van! Next time I'll try it without the trailer on the back!
No its actually slower, you must have attempted to start in 3rd gear

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2007, 07:02 PM   #59
Jayden
Graphic Artist

Walked past a holden dealer today and saw them all sitting there. Didnt even bother looking at them properly, just ... real boring cars. Holdens very own camry is the best way to describe it.

Hate to admit it but I liked the VE SS or whatever it was parked out the front of the place. Very low, brownish paint, (not the orange one i dont know the colour) with those monaro blackouts on the bonnet. And chevy badges of course. It makes for a clean looking car for those that put the work into it. Too bad most are gonna stay stock.
Old 28-06-2007, 12:44 AM   #60
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
The Epica was release in May 2007. So far Holden have sold 179 in May and 480 in June - total 659.

FF
Do you make up random figures? how do you know how many Epicas were sold in June when we're still in june!!!
Focused is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post