Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 12:44 PM   #31
castek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

poomba i think you'll find that ABS doesnt like to work in a slide. its happened to me. rear end kicked out on my el, in the wet. i corrected it one way, then listened to my dad who said brake. that locked up the fronts and spun the car. only damage was to the gutter. i have good tyres ( the ones that come on the new XR's), and ABS, however, a little oil, wet road and driver inexperience = problems
Old 07-01-2007, 01:29 PM   #32
efgiar
rofl copter

i have 265,s on the rear, and on a greasy road i could take of like i normally would and it will be skating everywere, these things happen and the driver is not ALLWAYS at fault! altho everyone on this forum seems to think that its the owner who is in fault "you dont have an alarm, YOU THIEF, INSURANCE JOB INSURANCE JOB" and now this kid stuffed up, being inexperienced isnt his fault, we are ALL like that at one stage and these things WILL happen. sometimes by being stupid and other by pure bad luck, now it hasnt rained in 2 weeks, then ****es down, it WILL be greasy as all **** and cause a car with poor quality tyres to kick out, i had 235's on and could spin 4th flat chat on a wet greasy road, in a completly stock ef!! so back off, whats happened has happened and theres not much that can be done, you learn by mistakes made.

thats all
Old 07-01-2007, 01:42 PM   #33
BADan

Quote:
Originally Posted by efgiar
i have 265,s on the rear, and on a greasy road i could take of like i normally would and it will be skating everywere, these things happen and the driver is not ALLWAYS at fault! altho everyone on this forum seems to think that its the owner who is in fault "you dont have an alarm, YOU THIEF, INSURANCE JOB INSURANCE JOB" and now this kid stuffed up, being inexperienced isnt his fault, we are ALL like that at one stage and these things WILL happen. sometimes by being stupid and other by pure bad luck, now it hasnt rained in 2 weeks, then ****es down, it WILL be greasy as all **** and cause a car with poor quality tyres to kick out, i had 235's on and could spin 4th flat chat on a wet greasy road, in a completly stock ef!! so back off, whats happened has happened and theres not much that can be done, you learn by mistakes made.
Inexperience? or a lack of common sense? It doesn't take a braniac to realise that rain = slow down. Judging by the image it was a considerable hit, not a tap. It was done at fair speed. Anyway, the guy who did it will hopefully have learnt a lesson, and will take more care in the wet.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:17 PM   #34
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

i dont think anyone is having ago at the crash or how it happened as **** does happen but there having ago that no responcibility is layed on the driver its the car and its tyres,
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
Old 07-01-2007, 02:20 PM   #35
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My dads eb wagon is scary as hell to drive in the wet. Handling of a wagon needing front end alignment with old tyres and bad brakes. Had a few times on roundabouts where the cars just aquaplaned or something and just gone straight. Luckily each time was a large roundabout and no-one else around.

What can you do to stop bad oversteer around corners at speed? Swaybars? LSD?
Old 07-01-2007, 02:33 PM   #36
futura97
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

As good (fun) as lsd is, i personally reckon it is worse to have it in the wet. A car spinning one wheel will not slide, but when both wheels spin is when the car drifts or goes sideways.

Ive given my car an absolute boot full going round corners with the speedo reching 120 in the wet and it did not slide. Just spun.

So theres my 2 cents on LSD
Old 07-01-2007, 02:47 PM   #37
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

get a car to handel

3 degree camber kit
17's or 18's
LSD
superlow springs
short shokers
swaybars

but in the wet you just have to take it easy,
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
Old 07-01-2007, 04:19 PM   #38
nothin suss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by alesia
he had Kumho Exstas
I have them on my subaru 225/40-18 and they are excellent in the wet... Hmm..
Old 07-01-2007, 04:27 PM   #39
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordEBfaimont
What can you do to stop bad oversteer around corners at speed? Swaybars? LSD?
Slow down
Old 07-01-2007, 04:57 PM   #40
Maximus
ED XR6

Those images make me feel sad.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:09 PM   #41
MADED-6
MADED.6

yeah abs dont do **** when u are sliding it will stop the fronts and lift the back causing it to spin abs cant stop sideways momentum only forward and backwards.
poor guy spose he has never had a car with lsd and shitty tyres.
cheers josh.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:28 PM   #42
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tufel
poombahowever, a little oil, wet road and driver inexperience = problems
I suggest your dad also has inexperience. Braking while sideways is a no no. Weight transfer to the front, even less traction at the rear.

ABS has nothing to do with this.

Quote:
i have 265,s on the rear, and on a greasy road i could take of like i normally would and it will be skating everywere
Wider tyres are worse than skinny ones in the wet.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:42 AM   #43
pHaT`eL
Banned

EF Machine, i can vouch for those Falkens being shockers, they feel like they have built in ballbearings, haha!!
Not sure about anyone else, but I reckon roundabouts are all pretty slippery, always the shiny look to them when wet, I can usually feel the rear end slide out a fraction at even 20/30kmh, but ive learnt to just ease through it, seen waaaayyy to much stupid **** happen, like a bluebird spearing down the inside of Thompsons Road/Frankston Dandenong Road, over the roundabout and in front of a truck.. Missed everything, but was a scary moment.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:43 PM   #44
StookEB

I've had some scary moments due to overcorrecting in the wet or gravel, but i'm glad nothing has ever happened to me.
What are the best way to correct it if the back has spun out?
Old 08-01-2007, 12:49 PM   #45
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I wonder if they would write that off, those ED XR front ends are not cheap, then you have the labour aswell.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 08-01-2007, 12:50 PM   #46
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

best way is to not punch the breaks, just put you foot on the accelerator and try to corect it
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
Old 08-01-2007, 02:39 PM   #47
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb91xr6
best way is to not punch the breaks, just put you foot on the accelerator and try to corect it
Champ, im sure theres some good advice there but how often have you had a car sideways ( over steer ), suggesting to hit the go pedal and hope to come out it is sounding a bit like lets power through this fence or into this car.

If you have you back out, of the pedal, dont rip the wheel dont slam the brakes, wheel and brakes slowly if needed to correct.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:46 PM   #48
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EArulz
I've had some scary moments due to overcorrecting in the wet or gravel, but i'm glad nothing has ever happened to me.
What are the best way to correct it if the back has spun out?
Power off. Feed the steering into it. Don't use the brakes unless you know what you are doing. If you have practised it you can use locked brakes to slide the whole car sideways in the direction you want.

Worst mistake is to try and recover from it. "Losing" the car gracefuly with some control is far better than planting your foot, working the wheel and ending up in the path of oncoming traffic.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:34 PM   #49
NZ
~~~

Who's car was it?

Sundeep Voice over... " I have headlights for sale... I do goot deal..."

(Ps I'm serious)

"the man that crashs AFF"
Old 09-01-2007, 03:39 PM   #50
frost
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ
Who's car was it?

Sundeep Voice over... " I have headlights for sale... I do goot deal..."

(Ps I'm serious)
A young buck from camperdown!
Old 09-01-2007, 03:43 PM   #51
frost
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb91xr6
Wow thats extreamlly funny. When XR8Chic and I were at a SKID PAN day ran at the police training complex in attwood, the Instructors like. Acclearating out of it is a stupid Id. Just hit the brakes as the brakes have more power than the accelrator. Once you have started skidding and you add more power to the wheels its just gunna skid more ;)

At the end of the day, **** happened he crashed his car.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:51 PM   #52
bArNsY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wrote my car off earlier in the year in the wet, it was either a new landcruiser or conrete power pole, i didn't realise i was still going 30km/h when i hit the pole!

I drive with a lot more caution in the wet, as one little mistake can cost you your car and nasty injuries.

At the end of the day at least you are alright
2004 BA MkII XR6 Turbo

2009 G6E Turbo (277.2rwkw @ Tuned at Bullet Performance Racing)
2007 Audi S5 4.2L V8 manual (Supersprint exhaust, MMI 3G+ retrofit)

The New: 2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium Petrol RWD (With Sync 3 Upgrade)

Other Road Toys

Silver Surfer
2014 S-Works Roubaix SL4 road bike with Roval Rapide CLX 40 wheelset

The Adventurer!
2023 TREK Domane SL 7 AXS Gen 4
Old 09-01-2007, 04:15 PM   #53
EF302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep, the old xr6's bite hard if your not used to it.

Last edited by EF302; 09-01-2007 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:12 PM   #54
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Once you have lost control of the car brakes are the best bet. Hitting the brakes while sideways will make you lose control.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:39 PM   #55
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
Once you have lost control of the car brakes are the best bet. Hitting the brakes while sideways will make you lose control.
Exactly. If you think your getting in trouble slowly release the accelerator, dont overcorrect and hope for the best. DONT push down hard on either the accelerator or brakes only hit the brakes when you know your gone!
Old 09-01-2007, 07:44 PM   #56
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

I had a similar thing happen to me in my NC, it had been dry for weeks, then it rained hard. I coasted through a large (roughly 12m diameter) off camber round-a-bout at about 20km/h, and the rear end just slipped out, I over corrected and mounted the gutter and stopped 5cm from a fence :S

The NC had brand new bridgestone ER50s on at the time.

It was simply the weight transfer from the drivers side, to the passenger side of the car that caused the rear end to slide out, due to such a large camber in the road.

I've had a set of 225/45-R16 kumho extas on my ED, and they were great in both wet and dry... so I would rule them out of this accedent.

And I have since found that the best way to correct a slide, is to properly feed in opposite lock, with no acceleration or braking until you feel the rear end gain traction again, then straighten up the wheel... thats my 2 cents anyway...

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Old 15-01-2007, 05:41 PM   #57
ham02au
soon 2 b SLEEPR

Quote:

THANK U!! u can all have your won ******* oppinion i dont care.... WOW i was at fault, i dont care my car is FIXABLE!! i'll laugh and bag all of u guyz out when this sorta **** happens 2 u!

Lucky i was the only 1 hurt, broken collar bone and a fractured shoulder....

WHO CARES!!
Old 15-01-2007, 05:48 PM   #58
ham02au
soon 2 b SLEEPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADED-6
yeah abs dont do **** when u are sliding it will stop the fronts and lift the back causing it to spin abs cant stop sideways momentum only forward and backwards.
poor guy spose he has never had a car with lsd and shitty tyres.
cheers josh.

na man i haven't!!

Who here knows where i might be able 2 get hold of a Front Grill for the ED XR6?
Old 15-01-2007, 07:04 PM   #59
castek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i found the best place to learn is on a gravel road. try stopping with abs on one. it just wont work lol... well, i'm booked in for advanced driving this sunday
Old 15-01-2007, 07:21 PM   #60
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Help the guy out - He needs some parts if anyone is selling some

Here is the link to his "Help" thread.............

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...=1#post1201059

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Closed Thread