Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-11-2006, 02:13 PM   #31
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennAUII
I just posted up my experiences since changing over to manual and i get bombarded with people telling me how wrong i am... :
great forum!
Maybe, just maybe, its the way you put it.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2006, 02:20 PM   #32
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Maybe, just maybe, its the way you put it.
i've watched you go on about the performance of your car in billions of threads and have said nothing.. so yeh.. let me have my say on my experience. All i said was the manual in my car has improved it a lot compared to when it was auto. Maybe, just maybe, i should be allowed to have my say just like everyone else on here? :
My intention certainly wasn't to make this thread a slinging match but i'm up for it if you'd like to make it that way. _
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2006, 02:27 PM   #33
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Come on guys, Glenn is just talking about his experience, and having had a manual conversion.. I agree with him.

Sure a manual's not everything, but it has it's benefits, for some people.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:29 PM   #34
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well i must agree that manuals are at times better than autos, in my opinion anyway, but part of the reason that i got an auto is because sometimes i really cbf changing gears, i'd prefer a sequential auto to a standard auto, but manuals are for the most part a lot more fun, my 2c anyway...
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2006, 02:32 PM   #35
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
i've watched you go on about the performance of your car in billions of threads and have said nothing.. so yeh.. let me have my say on my experience.
What has my car got to do with any of this? Whats your issue? The thread asked for people to state their personal best single performance mod. I, like many others, did so.

Quote:
All i said was the manual in my car has improved it a lot compared to when it was auto. Maybe, just maybe, i should be allowed to have my say just like everyone else on here? :
You are welcome to have your say, as anyone is. You are also welcome to state you believe that a manual conversion was the best bang for your buck mod you have done. There are ways to say this without starting what you started.
Why did it start? because instead of saying "the manual in my car has improved it a lot compared to when it was auto." you said "Manual conversion.. sh!ts over the automatic and is 1 second quicker down the 1/4 mile." The way it was said has as much to do with the reactions from members as what was said.

Quote:
My intention certainly wasn't to make this thread a slinging match but i'm up for it if you'd like to make it that way. _
Glenn, if you choose to make this a slinging match you can.. but you dont want to. You are not being persecited, you are not being repressed, you are not being personally abused. If you choose to repond by doing that to others it wont be accepted, simple as that.

Old 08-11-2006, 02:35 PM   #36
jimmy_c
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

:lookedat:

I chose an Auto this time around. But the manual is fun.

i have raced my friends with manuals and it seems stalling the auto gets you a better launch than you would in a Manual car.

Although I would have expected those I6s to post faster than 14.xx

Putting in the Dual CAI airbox. Then followed by catback exhaust.

TUNE would be next

Last edited by jimmy_c; 08-11-2006 at 02:35 PM. Reason: nfo
jimmy_c is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2006, 02:40 PM   #37
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What has my car got to do with any of this? Whats your issue? The thread asked for people to state their personal best single performance mod. I, like many others, did so.
You were the one that basically dismissed my opinion..thats what me relating it back to your car has to do with it. I stated my best performance mod and you seemed to have a problem with what i said.
Quote:
[/I]you said "Manual conversion.. sh!ts over the automatic and is 1 second quicker down the 1/4 mile."
Well.. it does.. and it is.. like i said, time slips to prove performance gain in my case. I don't care if autos are quicker in some cases.. obviously they will be if you spend money on them. My car is a stock forte manual, i was comparing it to when it was a stock forte AUTO, and its a hell of a lot punchier. Get over it! Its a fact! ;)
Old 08-11-2006, 02:48 PM   #38
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

blah blah blah blahdie effin blah

Decent HP through a T5 = broken parts and detonation where you get to pick pieces of clutch out of your crutch for the next year.

Decent HP through a BTR = broken parts and meltyness and sets your thongs on fire.

Face facts, both of these are crap. Everyone go buy a powerglide.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2006, 02:50 PM   #39
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:

Ummm Nope.

GlennAUII I think most have taken your initial post as being fairly agressive.

Back to the topic at hand please
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2006, 03:04 PM   #40
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Ummm Nope.

good point.

to make sure your AU goes as fast as possible, definately use one of these, and they are cheap!

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2006, 03:10 PM   #41
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Ummm Nope.

point taken mate, i guess i was a little excited over the results thats all
Old 08-11-2006, 03:15 PM   #42
jcxr
Tribal Elder

My young bloke dragged my BF xr6t for the first time on the week end @HPR and was four tenths of a second quicker ths a 6 speed TYPHOON over the 1/4 mile. 6 speed auto thrashes 6 speed manual. Typhoon either bogged down or wheel spun.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2006, 03:16 PM   #43
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Best bang for my buck hey? Havn't realy done any mods yet but 2 x 12" JBL subs gave best boom for my buck. And as far as cold air intake, or pods go, they still have about a meter of ducting between them and the t/b, currently slapping together a filter box with less then 3" of belled ducting for my shaker to sit on top of.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2006, 03:20 PM   #44
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Lets get this back on track. I think its safe to assume that the stock auto's in AU's are pretty average (I doubt many would disagree). A manual conversion or a histall/diff change seems to be high on a lot of peoples lists depending on what they want to achieve.
Headers and exhaust also seem to rate a good mention.

Old 08-11-2006, 03:34 PM   #45
BlewThunder

I know this is off topic but i have to comment.

Any jock can hop in an auto and plant the right foot down the quarter, takes a bit more finesse (sic?) to do it in a manual.

The thing it comes down to in the end is a) what your preffered type of driving is, and b) how in control of that driving you want to be.

Your average joe, who likes a pokey car, gets taken to a track day at eastern creek by a friend, it inspires him to start taking to the track more often, now average joe is no supercar racer, so in this case having a 'semi-auto' would be ideal as its one less thing for him to think of....but as i said....its a personal CHOICE.

And besides, converting to a manual is a ****ing lot of effort for 1second down the 1/4, not something most people would consider for a daily, nor a car that runs 14's either....

JCXR - there was probably a terminal error between the steering wheel and the seat in the phoon.

My 2c
BlewThunder is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2006, 04:46 PM   #46
AU3 HERROD XR8
XR8 M8

I enjoy driving manual but I would still prefer my 4spd auto. I can still move to whatever gear I want when I want. People talk like as if the auto is restricted to auto and that's it, you can't move through gears yourself. Auto is just as good as manual I reckon, shouldn't make such a big deal out of it. In a way Glenny has a point.. it's bloody fun driving the manual.

On the topic... my best experience is the HMS suspension. Like others have said with their XR suspension, cornering fast and around roundabouts are great. Another reason is the advantages of downforce with the low ride height :P
Old 08-11-2006, 06:57 PM   #47
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only reason that our car is auto is that i depress a clutch and change gears most of the day.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2006, 09:50 PM   #48
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Best mods on the XR8S3 was full exhaust cai then Unichip, got used to that so the next mod was bought a T3 :eclipsee_
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2006, 09:53 PM   #49
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Best seat of the pants mod i've done is upgrade from an I6 EL to the XR, probably not the best bang for buck but it is the most complete.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 08:34 AM   #50
james22
With da Warlords

Hmmm, Probably the Exhaust Modification done a couple of weeks ago. Straight through exhaust + 1 muffler = Roaring V8
- Good for 1) Chewing Fuel
2) Grabbing Police Attention
3) Putting Spectators in Neck Braces

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 12:47 PM   #51
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlewThunder

And besides, converting to a manual is a ****ing lot of effort for 1second down the 1/4, not something most people would consider for a daily, nor a car that runs 14's either....
Took half a day. I believe more time was spent on fitting the bodykit.