Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 24-04-2005, 10:29 PM   #31
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
even in BA's, the sss wont engage 4th
Thats incorrect.
Old 24-04-2005, 10:30 PM   #32
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Looks good .. Finished yet mate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2005, 03:39 PM   #33
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
Thats incorrect.
ok mate, i was just going off what i was told...

i havent actually used the sss function on the auto ba ive driven (car was owned by old farts that'd cry if i drove it harder than crawling)
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2005, 06:48 PM   #34
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

It's *nearly* there, I put the console back in this arvo (and butchered up the EB auto face AND BA shifter housing to make the biatch fit), so all it needs is a leather or vinyl gear boot to make it cosmetically 100%.

I took her for a spin up a windy road 30 mins ago and have some more knowledge under my belt about how this SSS works...

1) If you're revving low in 3rd or 2nd (SSS) and you boot it, it'll quickly drop a gear or two to make you take off quicker, before going back to 2nd or 3rd (whatever gear you've "selected" to be in) once either the revs climb or you back off the throttle. At higher revs, it just holds the gear.

2) For deceleration in a gear (ie you're doing 60 in 2nd and want to engine-brake), you actually have to lightly apply the throttle, like 5%, to make the torque converter kick in. The BA electronics make the converter smoothly re-engage (as stated in previous post) the gear you're in, and the car then proceeds to engine-brake. Sounds good

3) Due to 2, I suspect a beefier torque converter will be a good idea for the long-term

4) It's wicked being in THE GEAR YOU WANT (whether the torque converter is engaged or not, it doesn't matter) when you're taking multiple corners & powering out of them...

Attached are some pix...

-Dave-
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2005, 06:53 PM   #35
FordFan86
meow

Looks good D4V3, you'll definately have tyo teach me how to use it when you come over

ps: love the headunit...
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2005, 07:11 PM   #36
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Only if we can go thru a set of treads in the NC :evilking:

Oh, one more note: if someone else attempts this mod soon, MAKE SURE THE CABLE END IS FIRMLY ATTACHED TO THE SHIFT-POINT LINKAGE!!!111!!1!!11!!!

I found this morning that my cable was floating freely & the car was stuck in "N". Yay that was a few hours lost (was meant to be on a date, but the mrs had to just watch me gettin dirty with "Ebony" instead)...

So a longer bolt, a Nylock nut, and two h00j washers fixed the floating cable problem! As for the hot date... : :

-Dave-
Old 25-04-2005, 07:29 PM   #37
Damo
Banned

Good stuff mate.

Get some baby oil on that demister button... Yuck!
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2005, 07:32 PM   #38
FordFan86
meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
Only if we can go thru a set of treads in the NC :evilking:

-Dave-
you supplying the trans (preferabbly BA SSS :P), diff and the treads??
Old 25-04-2005, 07:34 PM   #39
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

only if you pay top (read: ripoff) dollar for them... :

Damo: I've tried baby oil before, and the buttons (cruise buttons too) still turn out looking like dogshit that's been left out in the sun for two weeks. White & crusty, just like Tip Top...

Last edited by mcflux; 25-04-2005 at 07:36 PM. Reason: I initially snobbed Damo! (forgive me)
Old 25-04-2005, 08:49 PM   #40
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
ok mate, i was just going off what i was told...

i havent actually used the sss function on the auto ba ive driven (car was owned by old farts that'd cry if i drove it harder than crawling)
Yeah, sorry if i came across as making you out to be stupid, wasnt my intention at all. But yes, BA SSS can engage 4th.
And i know what you mean - Dad has a BA as a work car - and wont touch the SSS.
Old 25-04-2005, 11:52 PM   #41
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
Yeah, sorry if i came across as making you out to be stupid, wasnt my intention at all. .
aww, everyone else does, whats another??? :
Old 26-04-2005, 08:36 AM   #42
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

good to see it's all starting to come together Dave, so how will it perform at the drags on the coming Sunday? :sm_headba

the gear selection screen looks great, just need to finish that centre console and get the Ebony looking refined again _2:

maybe we should have a crack at mounting the cable above the bracket rather than below, it might allow it to select D-N-R-P hopefully.
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2005, 09:26 AM   #43
EA2BA
PM me if you want

The Electronics do not engage 4th in SS mode, I have my switch for power/econ still in the car, so in normal mode I can choose power mode for 4th if I want.

Dave if your gearbox is working correctly, when you flick the shifter accross it will hold what ever gear the gearbox is currently in, i.e. launch off the line flick it to SS mode it will hold 1st till you change it.

Good to see you got it all in and working, yeah it takes a little bit to get used to, but it is definately alot of fun, I really dont have much lag in my gear changes, but I agree a shift kit that engages in SS mode should be a consideration.

We can probably get the electronics changed so that SS mode can choose 4th if you really think it is required, but I personally am preferring 1-2-3 selection only, 4th gear is not a performance gear

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)

Last edited by EA2BA; 26-04-2005 at 09:28 AM.
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2005, 10:59 AM   #44
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Pilch: It will perform much better than being stuck in "D" + economy mode! And yes, re-placing the cable mounting position to above the bracket should allow for more movement (and hopefully it selects all four gears!). When Ebony was stuck in neutral, I had a look at the cable angle compared to the shift linkage, and the angle was much greater than I remember it being... So moving the mounting point should make a bigger difference than previously thought...

If the bracket still won't allow for all gears, we can probably make one out of that 10x25cm piece of sheet metal I've got sitting in the boot (and get the dimensions while we're at it for other young punters out there wanting to do this mod!)

Dellboy: Yep, when in SSS mode it'll hold whatever gear I'm in, unless I'm doing low rpm (like 2000rpm in 3rd) and then floor it, but it'll return to 3rd after that! If I'm doing say 5000rpm in 2nd and then back off the throttle, it'll stay in 2nd but the torque converter will allow for slippage, and will reapply when the throttle is touched (staying in 2nd the whole time). <-- It's a lot better than waiting for kickdown!

Hahaha yes, 4th is not a performance gear! 0.68 ratio going thru a 3.27 diff? That's like trying to negotiate a steep hill on a mountain bike in top gear, it's just not going to happen :p

Anyhoo, nothing wrong with switching from 3 to D, esp with the power button hooked up!

A written report on all of this will have to wait at least a week due to a couple of uni assignments that I need to start... :

-Dave-
Old 26-04-2005, 01:21 PM   #45
ef5l

leaving it in r or d wont do shit to stop it from rolling.
ef5l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2005, 01:51 PM   #46
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Ahh well, I'll just have to park on flat ground (with the handbrake on of course!) until I make up a proper bracket...
Old 29-04-2005, 11:06 AM   #47
FordFan86
meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo
Good stuff mate.

Get some baby oil on that demister button... Yuck!
i've been told peanut butter works, i still can't be bothered ripping my cruise contorl buttons out to clean them tho.
Old 29-04-2005, 02:10 PM   #48
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Argh! Maybe I should rename this the "Please Dump On My Buttons And Head Unit Thread"...

Going off topic here, my cruise control has been a bit dodgy lately... On works, Set Acc works, Coast Res works, but Off doesn't sometimes! For example, you're already disabled cruise (but it's still On) and you go to click it off... You hear a slight fizzle, and then the car REENGAGES cruise! Not good, especially when you're behind another car and travelling downhill...

Meh, I just learn to keep cruise "On" wherever I go now & not bother about the Off button. As long as the other two buttons work fine, I'm happy!

-Dave-
Old 29-04-2005, 02:39 PM   #49
Sundeep
Banned

Good shit guys.

Soooo when can we expect to see a detailed tutorial or a kit for this system? Would be nice to have it combined with a shift kit that is engaged in the SSS mode. That would go mad. Chirpys in a auto while changing gears. That's like sick.

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2005, 03:49 PM   #50
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFan86
i've been told peanut butter works, i still can't be bothered ripping my cruise contorl buttons out to clean them tho.
hmm tasty!

baby oil works, if not your buttons are too far gone
Old 01-05-2005, 08:18 AM   #51
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Yes yes yes I *will* provide a "rough" installation guide... Since some aspects (ie the bracket) were pretty rough!

Maybe today after the drags I'll get started on it... :

I'm sorry about the wait, I've had a fairly busy week at uni, and had 90 minutes' sleep thursday night due to reasons other than alcohol (homework) :(

Anyhoo regarding the shift kits, I suspect that you'd just need make one the same as for a stock EA-EB-Ewhatever, or at least that's the case for a 5.0 EB (I think)! I'll have a go at making one sometime soon (when I have the resistors, etc)

I've noticed when shifting by SSS there's an instant "click" (S5 solenoid?), but the shift lags for 0.5-1 seconds or so, most likely from the low (read: standard) pressure running thru the lines. I thought it was meant to be the other way around, but I'm not a mechanical person, so anything -- or nothing! -- makes sense to me lol

OK guys I'm off to the Bairnsdale drags! My 5.0 + SSS vs Pilch's 351 + T5... I suspect Pilch will own me though due to much better gearing for launch, despite his woeful axle tramp...

-Dave-
Old 02-05-2005, 12:49 AM   #52
Dezza
Parts bin special

Hey Dave, the conversion's looking great. What you were saying about the cruise, my EA does the same thing. It does the fizzle and doesn't turn off sometimes. Also my Coast Res barely works (have to hit it half a dozen times before anything happens) and I have to hit the Set Acc button pretty hard or it doesn't go. It is incredibly annoying when the cruise is on and someone brakes in front of me. It takes too long to reset it!
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2005, 10:23 AM   #53
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Hey hey Mr Lurker, how ya goin mate! Good to see you checking out the Forums ;) ;)

Having your Set and Coast buttons not working properly sounds a bit scary! As long as it disengages every time you use the brakes, I spose it's all good

I'm still working on the install doco, and I was planning to take some more under car pix with the digi cam but I think the battery charger is stuffed (my batteries were dead flat -- after "charging" -- when I went to the Bairnsdale drags yesterday)

Cheers,

-Dave-
Old 02-05-2005, 01:51 PM   #54
Dezza
Parts bin special

Yeah, the brakes stop it, but then I have to go through the process of trying to set it again! I'm pretty impressed by the digital display for what gear it's in. It looks like a factory job, it would go well with the digital speedo and all that. How difficult was it to set up? Did you have to create most of the display yourself, or was it just a case of modifying an existing display? Also, the demister button that everyone was bagging. Did you have to move that because mine is on the right, with a plastic blank in the left hole?
Old 02-05-2005, 02:42 PM   #55
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Lol maybe you should pull your steering wheel off & blow out all the dust & crap behind it... that might fix up the button problem (hmmm, maybe I should do this?)

Yeah my demister was on the other side originally. How to get to it & move it will be included in my document.

The gear indicator display was made out of an old demister switch (gutted, with the digital display put in its place, and perspex placed over it in the shape of the plastic panel for a flush fit). That's thanks to Dellboy's partner in crime ;) ;)

My creativity was restricted to butchering my centre console, plus having Pilch help with making up a bracket (both still not complete), the rest was plug (or crimp!) & play, ready made...

When I'm in melbourne next, and if I'm free (I still need to say G'day to Dellboy sometime...), I'll have to swing by Monash & show u it, when it suits you mate.

------------------------------

BTW I think that when the Power button is used, the shift lag is reduced slightly (from my experience on the dragstrip yesterday). Hrm, come to think of it, I should wire up the power button wires coming out of the control module, I never got around to doing those ones (coz I didn't have the console on the car for a day or two, hence no power button to wire up to)!

5200-5500rpm "shift" (tipping the knob) gives 5800ish rpm actual gearchanges. One time it changed at 6000 under WOT (I shifted late) and a nice little puff of black smoke came out of the exhaust, probably not a good thing! Goes to show those HO intakes richen things up at high rpm... I beat the LS1 I was against though (note, he beat the pants off me the 2nd time we lined up... and in my very 1st race I got owned by a mild N/A gemini due to my horrendous reaction time : )

-Dave-
Old 02-05-2005, 03:29 PM   #56
Dezza
Parts bin special

Yeah, I'm might have to give the steering wheel a try when I get the chance. It looks like it'd be an awkward job though. Not having an airbag should make things a bit easier though! If you want to drop in, just let me know. I'll have to show you my car as well. It's looking far nicer than it was, even if it does have more kays on the clock. The dints are long gone, and it now has a rear Ford badge! Also, I might have to drop in at Churchill sometime. I haven't been there in ages! I'll have to see what the old place is still like!
Old 02-05-2005, 03:35 PM   #57
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Churchill's been gutted (Engineering-wise)... Clayton's taken almost everything, but Glenn is still Master of the CAD Lab (for this year at least) :MrT_anim:

My EB recently turned 300,000km old :party3: I'll upload a piccy sometime

-Dave-
Old 02-05-2005, 04:09 PM   #58
Dezza
Parts bin special

Wow, 300,000kms. Doing well. Mine had a birthday last week as well. "Kylie" just reached 200,000kms. As some people have said, it's only run in. Not bad considering I thought I'd killed her at 148,000kms by crashing heavily nearly 3 years ago. Shows the strength of the e-series falcons.

Disappointing hearing about the lack of all things engineering. Glenn still driving the EA wagon? That thing is a disgrace. I never heard anything rattle as badly as that!
Old 02-05-2005, 04:19 PM   #59
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Yeah it's still "alive", and it's shuffling/limping rather than running (has a LOT of rattle from the valves)... Rear arches are getting eaten up by rust :

200,000km eh? Not bad... Still on your 1st head gasket?

-Dave-
Old 02-05-2005, 05:23 PM   #60
Dezza
Parts bin special

Well, in the 3 years I have owned it, it hasn't done a head gasket. I don't know what it did before that (I should ask the previous owners). Only trouble I have had is with things like power windows, a thermostat, self-levelling suspension (only minor so was fixable), and at one stage the air-con leaked all the gas out (all it was was a dodgy o-ring). I had a patch of rust in the rear arches as well, but I recently got it cut out before it got too serious. Not good about your engine. Hopefully you can keep getting plenty more kays out of it. I'm not particuarly impressed with the smoothness of my tranny, particuarly the 1st to 2nd gearchange. Hopefully not a serious problem emerging.