Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-09-2008, 12:16 AM   #31
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My local Ford dealer here is offering after market LPG free (mixer ring I assume) on new FG models. Beats your 99c fuel offer hands down, cheap fuel for the life of the car. They are also fitting it at the dealer as well as other cars and models, very smart move by them i'd say. No longer will he have to send people away to the gas place over the road and it will keep the locals comming back to the dealer.

Braddy36, the all up saving on a dual fuel car is generally quoted as 40%. Go figure how many k's a year you do then how much fuel over the 12 monts etc. An EGAS from Ford is around 25KW less power than petrol for your extra $s but you keep your bootspace. An aftermarket duel fuel mixer ring system like Fords system is $2500-$3000 less $2000 from Government but you lose bootspace and KWs just like EGas. An aftermarket Sequential Vapour Injection (SVI) system is $4000-$4800 but you lose almost NO power if any and get better economy than mixer ring. But you still lose bootspace.

For bucketloads of info on LPG go troll through the LPG forum section and if you need to after that then ask q's.

Last edited by deesun; 08-09-2008 at 12:29 AM.
deesun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2008, 12:33 AM   #32
Abacus
Life's a Gas

I had an after market dual fuel on my AU. When I bought the BFII I went for Egas.

The most important issue is that if you fit an after market LPG system to a new FG you burn your warrranty.

The following is a copy of a PM I sent to a forum member who had a similar enquiry. He was buying a BFII, but the issues are the same with the FG

"When I first bought the Egas it was kind of a second choice, because I wasn't due to claim the rebate for another 18 months. At the time I my preferred option was a BF Ghia converted to an SVI system. However, I got my July 2007 build Fairmont for $27,000, so it was too good a deal to pass up.

There were a few initial issues with cold starts the Egas. However, it seems that the problem was my starting technique more than anything. Since I started holding the ignition switch until the thing fully fires I haven't had a problem.

I like new car warranties. The fact that mine had two and a half years of factory warranty left has made me glad I jumped the way I did, and all things being equal I would buy an Egas again for this reason alone.

The 90L tank capacity, and the fact it doesn't need petrol to start, are also very useful. The range in my SVI AU was total crap. I was still spending about $200 a month on petrol because I was running out of gas once or twice a week and it used to stay on petrol for about 1km from every cold start. Even when run dry I never got more than 56L into it.

The only downside with the Egas is the power - or lack thereof, particularly coming from the V8. But I've gotten over it. It took a week or so to adapt to the power difference, and now I don't care. I still get around from point A to point B as quick as I did in the Parnellised AU, and it's fine on the open road. The difference is mainly at the top end anyway, so when you're cruising there is no real difference.

General driveability is fine. I haven't had any freeze ups and it idles and drives as well as a petrol BF.

If power is a big issue then you need to think about buying an Egas. There is no doubt that the petrol BF goes a lot harder, revs better, and is a better all-round engine. However, in my case the car is basically a workhorse, and I find the 156kw Egas adequate. In my situation the other advantages outweigh this issue.

One other thing I like about the Egas is that it's a bit lighter than a dual fuel, courtesy of not having a petrol tank half full of fuel. It doesn't sound like much, but it makes a difference.

So, here's what I like:

- Never having to fill up with petrol.

- Factory look and finish under the bonnet

- Nice tidy engine bay with no aftermarket cables and wiring running all over the place

- Factory warranty

- Large LPG capacity

- All factory instruments work, including fuel guage and DTE.

- Noticeable weight advantage compared to dual fuel.

Here's what I don't like:

- Power shortfall compared to the petrol I6s."

Before you buy an Egas I strongly recommend you take one for a solid test drive. The power difference between the petrol I6 engines and the Egas is very noticeable, and you might be dissapointed. A good quality SVI conversion will preserve the power and character of the petrol Barra engine. You've got to prioritise the aspects that are most important to you.

I spend most of my time in city traffic, so the power shortfall with the Egas isn't a huge issue. But I can understand why it would poo other people to tears.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Abacus; 08-09-2008 at 12:39 AM.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2008, 12:58 AM   #33
Braddy36
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus

You've got to prioritise the aspects that are most important to you.

I spend most of my time in city traffic, so the power shortfall with the Egas isn't a huge issue. But I can understand why it would poo other people to tears.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the advice deesun & Abacus. This car will be utilised as a workhorse. I will be doing a lot of short trips in city traffic. I don't think the loss of power will be such a big issue for me. As you say it's about prioritising the most important aspects of the car.

Voiding the 6 year warranty with an after market conversion, concerns me as well.

As this is my first Ford as well, I cannot compare it to previous petrol models. As long as it is not like driving a 1.8 litre Corolla hatchback, I'll be satisfied!
Braddy36 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2008, 01:19 AM   #34
Abacus
Life's a Gas

I should also point out that a factory Egas gets one major potential issue out of the way - conflicts between your gas installer and regular mechanic, with you being the meat in the sandwich.

That was why I got rid of my SVI AU in the end. Car developed a miss, 3 mechanics said it was an LPG issue, LPG guy said it wasn't, had me running backwards and forwards until I got jack of it and got rid of the car.

With the Egas you have a one stop shop. If there's a problem, it's up to Ford to fix it.

Have a look at this thread regarding the economy benefits:

LPG Falcon versus petrol Toyota Yaris

My experience, based on both SVI and Egas cars, is you reduce your fuel costs by around 40-45% with LPG. When petrol prices went nuts a couple of months ago the savings were 50-55%.

Last edited by Abacus; 08-09-2008 at 01:34 AM.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:42 AM   #35
Braddy36
Starter Motor

Quote:
I should also point out that a factory Egas gets one major potential issue out of the way - conflicts between your gas installer and regular mechanic, with you being the meat in the sandwich.

That was why I got rid of my SVI AU in the end. Car developed a miss, 3 mechanics said it was an LPG issue, LPG guy said it wasn't, had me running backwards and forwards until I got jack of it and got rid of the car.

With the Egas you have a one stop shop. If there's a problem, it's up to Ford to fix it.

Have a look at this thread regarding the economy benefits:

LPG Falcon versus petrol Toyota Yaris

My experience, based on both SVI and Egas cars, is you reduce your fuel costs by around 40-45% with LPG. When petrol prices went nuts a couple of months ago the savings were 50-55%.
I'm feeling a lot better about the decision to buy the G6E on E-Gas now Abacus. Better fuel economy than a Yaris ??? Who would have thought that would be the case ?

Geez 22 litres per 100km's. That does sound high though. I'm expecting 15/100. That's what the specs & brochures say. This is all new to me, a former ignorant Camry driver!

What would you compare the 156kw power of the gas G6E to ? The Mazda 6 is 115kw & the Honda Euro Accord is 148kw. This is probably not good comparisons though is it ?
Old 08-09-2008, 01:53 AM   #36
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braddy36
I'm feeling a lot better about the decision to buy the G6E on E-Gas now Abacus. Better fuel economy than a Yaris ??? Who would have thought that would be the case ?

Geez 22 litres per 100km's. That does sound high though. I'm expecting 15/100. That's what the specs & brochures say. This is all new to me, a former ignorant Camry driver!

What would you compare the 156kw power of the gas G6E to ? The Mazda 6 is 115kw & the Honda Euro Accord is 148kw. This is probably not good comparisons though is it ?
The 156kW E-Gas Falcon would rip a standard petrol driven Commodore (180kW) another ar5ehole. The peak means nothing with this donk, it's the torque (how early the power comes on) that makes a difference. If it's what you say it's for, 156 is plenty.

Welcome to AFF, and the Ford family. The G series would have to be the most complete looking in the FG range. A master stroke by Ford.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:57 AM   #37
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:

Most of my driving is shortish trips in inner-city Sydney, hence the consumption. I reset my average speed meter at each fill, and I usually average less than 25km/h. That gives any car a fuel consumption problem. Most LPG forum guys get much better consumption than I do:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11196476

Power comparisons with any Japanese car are difficult because of the vastly different power delivery characteristics. The Egas is all about Torque, with a capital T. The very nature of the Egas mixer ring system restricts intake airflow, and consequently power, at high revs, which is where most Japanese cars come into their element. However, an Egas will beat them away from the lights every time.

I drove a Camry for a few days earlier this year. The Egas would kill it in any conditions - no ifs or buts.

A couple of months ago I had an Aurion for a day. The Aurion definitely had the advantage in the top end and would be first down the quarter mile, but for congested city driving the Egas is the better performer.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:59 AM   #38
220XR8
Banned

Wink

Quote:
Grimus I would probably average 500-550 km's per week. My Camry V6 is costing me a fortune at present.

Wouldn't the resale value in 2 year's time, be better with the gas option too ?

Oh & thanks for your welcome

I wouldn't be worrying about resale mate, It's gonna be worth 30k less in 5 years no matter what. It's worth 10k less as soon as you drive it around the block.

Toyotas, as much as they are disliked here are always going to have better residual value than Ford-Holden etc.

Last edited by 220XR8; 08-09-2008 at 03:10 AM.
220XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2008, 03:11 AM   #39
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Hi Braddy36. Welcome to the forums. You have chosen a car some here only dream of owning including myself.

One word of advice, LPG is a friend to your wallet. I agree with Abacus with regards to power outputs.

Personally speaking, I went from owning powerful Fords to owning a Subaru Liberty, back to owning another Ford.
The reasons of going back to a Ford had nothing to do with the fuel issue but other issues I could explain some other time.
I stumbled on my AU futura with dual fuel already fitted, so it was a bonus for me. Now that I have it, I cant live without it!!!
Yes, power at high revs can suck IF your wanting to give it some. But how often can you do that on suburban roads without getting caught? Its rare. Anyway, my point is, the fact that you do low speeds in city style traffic, your not gonna notice low speed power differences as much. The torque of the inline 6 is excellent. You have a minimum of 370Nm @ 2750rpm (if you go e-gas) of grunt at your disposal!!!
While LPG is cheaper than petrol for the next few years, I'd certainly consider it especially if its a no cost option.

Happy motoring and enjoy the fuel savings if you get the LPG!!!

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2008, 10:35 AM   #40
alecrain
'03 BA XT

Cool

Another vote for the LPG option.

The cheap fuel will allow you to enjoy your driving without constantly thinking about the money, you'll probably find yourself driving in the performance mode all the time.

I have an aftermarket SVI on my BA and average 11.2 ltr/100km however I got it down to 8.6 on my trip to Sydney, my last hire car '08 Toyota Camry used 9.2 ltr/100km open road cruise.

And I love how "tight" falcons feel and drive.

Welocme

Beautiful Photography Blog

2003 BA XT
IMPCO SVI - TYPHOON CAI +XR6T snorkel - K&N Panel Filter - DBA Slotties - Tint

1998 Toyota Landcruiser Prado

www.bseries.com.au/alecrain

Quote:
People that drive slower than ME are BAD DRIVERS,
People that drive faster are IDIOTS
alecrain is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2008, 11:51 PM   #41
Braddy36
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Happy motoring and enjoy the fuel savings if you get the LPG!!!
Thanks mate! I'm like a kid waiting for Xmas day. Was told by Ford today that the car won't be ready for another 4-5 weeks as it is being built in September. I would have thought that they would have had a few cars waiting to go the dealerships.

Oh well, at least it gives me time to sell my Camry.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:59 PM   #42
unclesam
Starter Motor

sorry mate but wot u chose is blander but thats jus my opinion jus like yours :togo:
unclesam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2008, 12:55 PM   #43
alecrain
'03 BA XT

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclesam
sorry mate but wot u chose is blander but thats jus my opinion jus like yours :togo:
^^^^^^^ I have no idea what is written here ^^^^^^^^
Use full words next time

Beautiful Photography Blog

2003 BA XT
IMPCO SVI - TYPHOON CAI +XR6T snorkel - K&N Panel Filter - DBA Slotties - Tint

1998 Toyota Landcruiser Prado

www.bseries.com.au/alecrain

Quote:
People that drive slower than ME are BAD DRIVERS,
People that drive faster are IDIOTS
alecrain is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2008, 01:35 PM   #44
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
A G6E is blander than a Toyota? What the hell have you been smoking?

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2008, 05:54 PM   #45
autolover08

Quote:
Yeah, Toyota certainly know how to make a large sedan handle dynamically compared to a VE or FG, NOT! :togo:
autolover08 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2008, 06:21 PM   #46
Braddy36
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezza!
A G6E is blander than a Toyota? What the hell have you been smoking?
Yere I was scratching my head over that one Dezza. As a former Camry/Corolla driver, I can say without any hesitation, the G6E is in a different class.

Gee unclesam you had me doubting my decisiom to buy the G6E....only for a nanosecond!
Old 09-09-2008, 09:25 PM   #47
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Like everybody else I think you've made the right choice Braddy36. The only topic that's been politely ignored is the legendry issue of Ford quality and Ford service, which makes its appearance all over the rest of the forum LOL, but I can only say that after 4 years with the Territory I have no significant issues in that regard. Some things that happen in the dealer service area can be 'quaint' to say the least but then if you look on the web you see plenty of Toyota owner grievances. It will be interesting to hear your comparison of the two later.

Re the LPG issue, everybody talks about fuel costs but in terms of overall operating cost the saving isn't all that much. See:

http://www.mynrma.com.au/cps/rde/xch...osts_table.htm

But given every other cost being more or less equal you would certainly appreciate the saving at the pump. Good luck - and another advantage that supports your Ford ownership is this forum where you couldn't find a friendlier or more helpful bunch of people! Every question that your service dealer is too dumb to answer just come here.... _2:
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2008, 09:34 PM   #48
unclesam
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecrain
^^^^^^^ I have no idea what is written here ^^^^^^^^
Use full words next time
-go back to school then

umm did i say only toyota? :togo: he mentioned more than jus toyota : :-have a cry
Old 09-09-2008, 09:39 PM   #49
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
-go back to school then

umm did i say only toyota? :togo: he mentioned more than jus toyota : :-have a cry
You my friend seem to be the one whom "failed" at school.

Alecrain was merely pointing out how hard it is to read "sms" text.
Please refrain from doing so.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2008, 09:40 PM   #50
InTrail

Quote:
I'm assuming your real name is either Jarno Trulli or Timo Glock.
If so, then I'd agree that your work Toyota is slightly more exciting than a G6E.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:06 PM   #51
Braddy36
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
Like everybody else I think you've made the right choice Braddy36. The only topic that's been politely ignored is the legendry issue of Ford quality and Ford service, which makes its appearance all over the rest of the forum
Well that those legendary issues did occur to me new2ford. But other manufacturer's have issues as well. Reading through some of the forums on Caradvice, it appears that Holden's had/have issues with recall's/defects etc.

I have to say that in the 12 or so years of owning 3 Toyota's (2 new cars), I did not have a single issue or requirement to take the cars back to the dealerships to be fixed/modified.

I'm just hoping for a good experience with this car & Ford in general.

Must say that if this forum is anything to go by, my experience with Ford will be great. Everybody here is so friendly & welcoming. I feel part of the Ford family already even if I don't have the car as yet.

It's surprising that a lot of non Ford people I speak with, seem to know about the G6E...Yet I didn't know a thing about it till 6 weeks ago. Advertising/marketing must have struck a chord.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:06 PM   #52
unclesam
Starter Motor

Quote:
Yere I was scratching my head over that one Dezza. As a former Camry/Corolla driver, I can say without any hesitation, the G6E is in a different class.

Gee unclesam you had me doubting my decisiom to buy the G6E....only for a nanosecond!
you went even blander wheres the t- nooo turbo loool : every model has bland versions and yes you were driving em but sum you overlooked when u upped the anti a lil not enuff for a turbo tho lol dont come under bland i wouldnt call any sedan over 40k bland :togo: and for the wannabe bodygaurds in ere ASSUMING no i dont have a toyota btw a carolla are u a female? lookin at a ge6 on side looks a bit like a camry i guess thats why u like it

Last edited by unclesam; 09-09-2008 at 11:14 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:17 PM   #53
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
you went even blander wheres the t- nooo turbo loool : every model has bland versions and yes you were driving em but sum you overlooked when u upped the anti a lil not enuff for a turbo tho lol dont come under bland i wouldnt call any sedan over 40k bland :togo: and for the wannabe bodygaurds in ere ASSUMING no i dont have a toyota btw a carolla are u a female? lookin at a ge6 on side looks a bit like a camry i guess thats why u like it
Where did you acquire such an eloquent form of speech?
Old 09-09-2008, 11:23 PM   #54
unclesam
Starter Motor

Quote:
Where did you acquire such an eloquent form of speech?
is that all u got? mr bodygaurd thats u on your avatar isnt it lol

Last edited by unclesam; 09-09-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:38 PM   #55
Braddy36
Starter Motor

Quote:
btw a carolla are u a female? lookin at a ge6 on side looks a bit like a camry i guess thats why u like it
What's a ge6 mate ? Yere I'm a fe/male. What difference does that make anyways ??? My wife is also a fe/male. She hates Corolla's & Camry's but loves the G6E.

Ahh you must be American ? Hence your name "unclesam". What do you drive ? A Cadillac ? A Horse ?
Old 09-09-2008, 11:50 PM   #56
InTrail

Quote:
FFS... whatever point it is you're trying to make, try using punctuation.
Think back to primary school and re-embrace those English language classes.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:56 PM   #57
unclesam
Starter Motor

Quote:
What's a ge6 mate ? Yere I'm a fe/male. What difference does that make anyways ??? My wife is also a fe/male. She hates Corolla's & Camry's but loves the G6E.

Ahh you must be American ? Hence your name "unclesam". What do you drive ? A Cadillac ? A Horse ?
whoaaa both fe/male gone too deep there i think im outa this bland thread bye : i knew there was a reason
Old 10-09-2008, 12:03 AM   #58
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Cut the rubbish now or there will be holidays given.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2008, 12:25 AM   #59
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Holidays came early this year.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2008, 12:31 AM   #60
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
Holidays came early this year.
Couldn't you have let it drift on for another page, it was quite funny in its own way. I'm looking to increase my range of languages :
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post