Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 17-01-2007, 07:16 PM   #31
snortingboost
XF Ghia. All snorted out

Default Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtek
thanks for the input mate! ..ye i heard alot about turbo EA's...and most said its the go, but then wht about getting canaried? coz ur meant to get an engineers cert. or someshit?..also heard i would have to upgrade to better brakes etc..old wives tale?..lol..

Man how long have u had the turbo? any major hassles? what turbo did u fit??

Robbo
Technically if you've already changed your engine from a 3.9 to a 4.0 you may require a mod plate to comply it. Although its not as obvious as a turbocharger sitting pretty in the engine bay its still classified as a modification. I've had mine turbocharged as is for over a year without any trouble at all, the only thing that caused trouble was the intake pipes blowing off. I've since used better T-clamps and all is well. I mainly use the car for towing so it sits on boost most of the time. Brakes are standard disc and have no trouble pulling the car up along with a full load. If you're a sensible driver and wait for the right moment to open it up then you don't need brembo's. Turbo is a plain bearing To4 and boosts straight up at 1800rpm.

Manual conversion is worth doing but make sure you go for a run in the car that the trans is coming out of before you buy. Many have handed over the doe, installed it and then ripped it back out for a $800 rebuild. If you turbo it, keep it auto so you get the power to the ground.
snortingboost is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 08:19 PM   #32
robtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea_silver_ghia
I organised a mod day, and about a dozen e-series members came over. It took us about a day. It can be a lot quicker though if you use a Mal Wood clutch pin. I took out the pedal box which is a dash out job. Ironically we put the auto pedal box back in in the end (that was a waste of time) and used a homemade clutch pin. A problem I have found is that the pedal box is fairly weak and the side of it has bent a bit. Try to make up a metal plate to reinforce the side of the pedal box where the clutch pedal attaches, and it should be OK. I'd be able to help, but I'd recommend a number of people work on it, particularily when it comes time to lift out the auto. It isn't light! Since there were a dozen of us, I didn't do a huge amount of the conversion. efgiar did most of the work!

hehe damn, a dozen eh...thts alot of booze to supply everyone for helping out :( gonna go broke mate haha :P ...i kind of got the idea about the pedal box, would have to suss it out one day at one of the future fordforums cruises coz im a quick learner ;) ...i suppose its still atleast a month away from decision time so no stress yet, just getting the research done prior.

besides..so far im only really good at taking things apart and not being able to put them back together hehe..apart from ppl showing me how then me doing it it easy enough though!

www.talkalotofshit.com => YES ITS A REAL SITE HAHA
robtek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 08:24 PM   #33
robtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by snortingboost
Technically if you've already changed your engine from a 3.9 to a 4.0 you may require a mod plate to comply it. Although its not as obvious as a turbocharger sitting pretty in the engine bay its still classified as a modification. I've had mine turbocharged as is for over a year without any trouble at all, the only thing that caused trouble was the intake pipes blowing off. I've since used better T-clamps and all is well. I mainly use the car for towing so it sits on boost most of the time. Brakes are standard disc and have no trouble pulling the car up along with a full load. If you're a sensible driver and wait for the right moment to open it up then you don't need brembo's. Turbo is a plain bearing To4 and boosts straight up at 1800rpm.

Manual conversion is worth doing but make sure you go for a run in the car that the trans is coming out of before you buy. Many have handed over the doe, installed it and then ripped it back out for a $800 rebuild. If you turbo it, keep it auto so you get the power to the ground.
yeh ive been lazy n still havnt taken the paperwork to VIC roads after the 4.0L got put in haha:P...its been nearly 2yrs!....anyways,

im glad u havnt had much trouble man sounds promising for me then hehe but whts a brembo mate? :S and u think tht if i turbo it its better to keep it auto?? hmmm i would of thought manual was better... but in all honesty the manual conversion would precede the turbo mod for sure..purely $$ based decision hehe...

www.talkalotofshit.com => YES ITS A REAL SITE HAHA
robtek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post