Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-04-2006, 12:04 AM   #31
tbearz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
It is going to be a very, very tricky five years.

We tolerate a paranoid Venezuelan president, a country with large oil output and a key US supplier, who doesn't like big nasty America.

That's a bit harsh on ol' chavez, after all a few years ago there was an american backed (yes everyone knows but wont admit it) coup d'etat on his presidency, albiet for only one day. And there has been a few assasination attempts. I'd be paranoid too if i was him :
tbearz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2006, 12:08 AM   #32
cwhast

the US will never leave Iraq. they'll set up large military bases there and secure the surrounding countries and the world's oil supply. Iraq is geographically positioned perfectly, its almost like it was planned a decade ago... bordering oil-producing countries like Saudi Arabia and Iran, and sticking close to the Israelis with their Gaza/West Bank issues and threats from the Iranians... it makes perfect sense.
cwhast is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2006, 12:11 AM   #33
gtfpv
GT

i've got my head into a book at the moment , cant put it down . it is called " STRANGE TIMES "
it is a nexus new times special addition it is very weird and mind blowing but inteeresting to say the least . it is in major news agencies now for $16.95
it is a paper back . it has lots of topics aboput predictions and prophecies , area 51. crop circles etc etc . i really dont know what to make of it but man it is interesting reading and can be related to all the economic , and truobles we are having ,, simply speechless but dont know if i believe it . but great reading.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2006, 12:18 AM   #34
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
IF you think for even a moment America has *really tried* and failed militarily, then you would be very mistaken.

On the contrary, it has been very very gentle with Iraq.
Well if these are the casualties from a three year gentle war approach, will the US have enough troops for a full scale 'proper' war against Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran, Syria, Jordan etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhast
the US will never leave Iraq. they'll set up large military bases there and secure the surrounding countries and the world's oil supply. Iraq is geographically positioned perfectly, its almost like it was planned a decade ago... bordering oil-producing countries like Saudi Arabia and Iran, and sticking close to the Israelis with their Gaza/West Bank issues and threats from the Iranians... it makes perfect sense.
Bingo.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2006, 12:21 AM   #35
cupic
Nikon

with proven and massive oil deposits in the Canadian wildreness why isnt been devloped.
A.Greenie or worst greedie oil barons waiting in the wings.
Oil as in oil trapped in sand .ie must be extracted to refined to be oil but latest estimates put the figure @ a Suadi field or bigger

we do live in interesting times
cupic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2006, 12:25 AM   #36
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
BUSH has made it quite clear, and has full congress support - that the US *will* be independent of mid east oil within twenty years, desiring instead 'full energy independence', (VOA TV) already this is happening with America now beginning over the last 6 months an emulation of the Brazilian reality of their 'whole of approach' ethonal industry. That, and of massive sums being spent in each budgetry year now on alternatives like hydrogen research.

In the end, America will not give a damn, energy wise what happens to the middle east. It will give a damn, if another nutcase pops up to once again announce an intention to eliminate the jew or other.

The oil depletion scenario plays out well in Abu Dahbi, which now turns quite actively to tourisim, and 'lifestyle and housing' to attract the foreigner to come and live. They plan now for an end of oil reality. One of the smarter Arab states.

Those nations that prepare now, for alternatives will stand best in the long run.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2006, 12:29 AM   #37
gtfpv
GT

i have no idea if this is true . if anyone knows if it is or not . let us know .a friends son recently done a short uni course a pre intro to petrochemical engineering , he was apparantely told by a teacher that oil shortages and probable running it is complete and utter lies. and there is plenty for 100s of years to come . also i heard from one source that areas they drilled for oil and emptied 50 years ago are now full again . so oil areas that have been drilled and emptied replenish themselves over ti9me .
any one got any facts relating to this .
i do know 1st hand that the saudies are investing heavily in other areas besides oil prompting fears that oil may be running out.
Old 23-04-2006, 12:30 AM   #38
ImpulseTaco
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupic
with proven and massive oil deposits in the Canadian wildreness why isnt been devloped.
A.Greenie or worst greedie oil barons waiting in the wings.
Oil as in oil trapped in sand .ie must be extracted to refined to be oil but latest estimates put the figure @ a Suadi field or bigger

we do live in interesting times
This is exactly what WOULD happen if oil did hit $262 a bbl. There are TONS of other sources of oil world-wide, besides the mid-east. Many of them are within the US. The reason that oil isn't being produced right now is that the cost of recovery is too high in comparison with the sales price. At 200+ a barrel, however, MANY sources of oil suddenly become cost effective that weren't before.

Also, during The Great War (part 2) the Germans developed technology to make synthetic oil and fuels from coal. So, even if oil dries up and goes away, theres still TONS of coal left on the planet for us to use.
Old 23-04-2006, 12:30 AM   #39
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Problem is Australia being so spread out relies so heavily on the transport of goods. Even if we stop using fuel ourselves, the trucks etc still have to and the prices with skyrocket on food and everything else. This is already starting to happen. Inflation will climb and then interest rates. Before long families wont be able to afford food, let alone their house loans. If countries wish to play this game with the west I say nuke em all, use nukes with minimal radiation so we can go in and savalge the oil reserves.

Alternate energy the would be the sensible solution, but is there any real alternatives we can implement in the short term..........
Old 23-04-2006, 12:36 AM   #40
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
Problem is Australia being so spread out relies so heavily on the transport of goods. Even if we stop using fuel ourselves, the trucks etc still have to and the prices with skyrocket on food and everything else. This is already starting to happen. Inflation will climb and then interest rates. Before long families wont be able to afford food, let alone their house loans. If countries wish to play this game with the west I say nuke em all, use nukes with minimal radiation so we can go in and savalge the oil reserves.

Alternate energy the would be the sensible solution, but is there any real alternatives we can implement in the short term..........
perhaps the government can sell the workers off as sex slaves to keep the chicken farmers chickens satisfied.
Old 23-04-2006, 12:39 AM   #41
cwhast

About 80-85% of the oil Australia consumes is actually our own. So why are we paying upwards of $1.35/L for it? Because the Govt reaps millions from the steep fuel excise. Currently the excise is 38 cents per liter, so they could cut the excise dramatically, get petrol back down towards $1.00/L and still make a surplus. I heard that our petrol is cheaper to produce than that of the US, we just have higher taxes on it. I feel sorry for the poor bastards in Britain paying about $2.50/L because their Govt taxes them to the shizen-houzen.
Old 23-04-2006, 12:40 AM   #42
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
About 80-85% of the oil Australia consumes is actually our own. So why are we paying upwards of $1.35/L for it? Because the Govt reaps millions from the steep fuel excise. Currently the excise is 38 cents per liter, so they could cut the excise dramatically, get petrol back down towards $1.00/L and still make a surplus. I heard that our petrol is cheaper to produce than that of the US, we just have higher taxes on it. I feel sorry for the poor bastards in Britain paying about $2.50/L because their Govt taxes them to the shizen-houzen.
Because the oil companies have the gov by the balls or payroll and they match our prices to those set in Singapore or similiar. What crap!!!
Old 23-04-2006, 12:41 AM   #43
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
Well if these are the casualties from a three year gentle war approach, will the US have enough troops for a full scale 'proper' war against Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran, Syria, Jordan etc?
FF
The reason there were so many casualties in that the yanks were/are trying not to kill the civilians because it would look bad on CNN.

If push comes to shove, that is, the yank economy & society is actually threatened and they decide "bugger CNN & United Nations" then any country will last about 24 hours.

The oil in Iraq is not in the cities, small nuclear weapons will sort that quickly. Yes there will be fallout etc but remember hundreds of nuclear weapons have already been detonated, two in anger, and we are still trundling along.

Or just destroy/poison all water sources, everything will die within a week.

On the other hand China has a population of 1,400,000,000 and has more soldiers than most countries have people. If they invade where ever they will be very difficult to stop.

It is all very nasty but it has happened many many times before........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2006, 12:42 AM   #44
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
tha ti s because most pommies dont go outside not to mention drive a car over 800cc.
Old 23-04-2006, 12:46 AM   #45
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

[QUOTE=Falcon Freak]Well if these are the casualties from a three year gentle war approach, will the US have enough troops for a full scale 'proper' war against Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran, Syria, Jordan etc?

America loses 47 thousand persons a year in road deaths, some 740 thousand from cancer, a similar amount to heart disease and stroke again.

During the height of WW2 Hitler was losing around 10,000 troops per day if my PNG primary school history hasn't failed me. AND it fought for how long?

At Arlington America rests some 300,000 souls with some 4,300 more per year.

The yanks lost 53,000 in Vietnam, Vietnam lost a million fighting them.

You forget, it is not just the yanks, but in any scenario with Iran (or likely other trouble spots), NATO, - since it is Europe that first raised 'serious concern' about Iran and its nuke fetish.

As we know the nazis were a pack of poofs:-) little wonder then it took the yanks all of two weeks to defeat them in Italy proper. My point being, the yanks can fight when they *really* need too, they are just very slow at starting up.

Should America have done nothing? Just sat back and just let it all happen?? Should it do so now?? The world runs on money, like it or not.

We can accept the growing obvious reality that other powers will one day take the lead. Let us hope they are 'as nice'.

In the end, it is the country and what it stands for that matters, not the individual soldier who serves.
Old 23-04-2006, 12:53 AM   #46
cwhast

Quote:
We can accept the growing obvious reality that other powers will one day take the lead. Let us hope they are 'as nice'.
I wouldn't be worried if China took a democratic turn. Just the fact they are Communist is bad enough. Maybe one day they could become a little more like (dare I say), Japan?
Old 23-04-2006, 12:57 AM   #47
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
I wouldn't be worried if China took a democratic turn. Just the fact they are Communist is bad enough. Maybe one day they could become a little more like (dare I say), Japan?
Yup, provided they don't get all 'divine' on us:-)
Old 23-04-2006, 12:59 AM   #48
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Japan? They have been a US puppet state since 1945!

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2006, 01:01 AM   #49
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
The reason there were so many casualties in that the yanks were/are trying not to kill the civilians because it would look bad on CNN.

If push comes to shove, that is, the yank economy & society is actually threatened and they decide "bugger CNN & United Nations" then any country will last about 24 hours.

The oil in Iraq is not in the cities, small nuclear weapons will sort that quickly. Yes there will be fallout etc but remember hundreds of nuclear weapons have already been detonated, two in anger, and we are still trundling along.

Or just destroy/poison all water sources, everything will die within a week.

On the other hand China has a population of 1,400,000,000 and has more soldiers than most countries have people. If they invade where ever they will be very difficult to stop.

It is all very nasty but it has happened many many times before........
Large amounts of soldiers can be put down by one of those small nuclear weapons, i would be more concerned about lunatics with the bomb.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2006, 01:08 AM   #50
cwhast

Quote:
Japan? They have been a US puppet state since 1945!

FF
Exactly, have they caused any problems with the US since 1945?

I read somewhere that the US almost got nuked by a the Chinese when Clinton was in office. Apparently, the US sent over some fighter jets to monitor Taiwan... China thought the US would make a move so they sent a nuclear submarine or something to sit just off the coast of California, and if the US made a move there would be no more Los Angeles. Pretty scary thought.
Old 23-04-2006, 01:08 AM   #51
ScoopED
Thumbs up for fossil fuel

I'd rather convert the ol' EB to liquid hydrogen.....

C'mon governments of the world, I know it goes against your interests, but start funneling money in to alternative fuel research.

The truth is out there

Mike

1992 EB Fairmont
351cu in Windsor Roller Cam
Valve Body "Shift Kitted" BTR 4spd Auto
Hi Tek Headers Tri Y
Twin 2.25 into Single 2.5in
17in x 8in BA XR8 Copies
235x45x17 Nankang NSII
Ultra Low King springs
Whiteline 30mm Swaybar
Nolathane box section trailing arms
Slotted DBA front rotors
Yella Terra roller rockers
ScoopED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2006, 01:35 AM   #52
FordFan86
meow

Quote:
We sell our oil to singapore who refines it for 'us'. We then buy it back at world prices...
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2006, 01:36 AM   #53
cwhast

do you think it could be financially viable for it to be refined here?

this govt better have something clever up its sleeve (but i doubt it), because high oil prices and the skyrocketing price of petrol is hampering economic growth. more and more businesses are starting to file for bankruptcy and that can't be good.
Old 23-04-2006, 01:39 AM   #54
FordFan86
meow

Quote:
do you think it could be financially viable for it to be refined here?
For us, yes, cheaper fuel.
For the government, no. That involves employing thousands of people and re-opening a refinery as we don't have any. (Port Stanvac in SA was the last to close.. I think) Why do that when you can make millions doing it the way it's being done?
Old 23-04-2006, 01:49 AM   #55
FordFan86
meow

And for anyone who's interested (I'm a religious person)
There is no WWIII, the next major uprising comes from the middle east. The final battle is east v west (arab nations, china etc). The beginning of the end, scary thought given what's happening throughout the world at the moment...
I haven't read it myself, but a lot of what has happened though our history and what is going to happen has been predicted, and can be found in "Revelations".
Old 23-04-2006, 02:00 AM   #56
cwhast

off topic: you should try researching the New World Order... now thats scary
Old 23-04-2006, 08:25 AM   #57
Dodge
i like to be stroked

there is a town on the QLD /SA border called Jackson, they pull oil there pure enough to run in a diesel engine, this gets sent off shore, mixed with rubbish and sold back to us for a few 1000% mark up. , we also grow enough sugarcain to power our cars, and i had some guy who was telling me how his old man invented a engine where the crankshaft was tapered, so when at idol the stroke shortened to change a SAY 3 ltr engine to a .5 ltr , this was to decrease fuel usage when the power wasnt needed, lets face it we sit in traffic most of the time especially in london, and other large cities, I dont know how far this engine devlopment has gone but there is more than 1 wat to skin a cat, Im off to syphen the local council cars petrol tanks , they dont care as they just keep puting up the rates until they all die from heart disease from being greedy fat fruckers
Old 23-04-2006, 09:04 AM   #58
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
If the Americans bomb Iran then it WILL happen. Ugly times ahead.

FF
Rubbish.

The greatest oil producers are in South America, North America, Russia and the US already has Iraq in its pocket now.
If the prices go ballistic like this the US WILL rationalise its oil prices based on cutting out OPEC, subsidise what it needs to in Iraq to increase production 500%, pull Russian production up by the bootstraps and basically make OPEC redundant to all but China... who would be inclined to tell OPEC they are readyto invade to get the oil it now needs. Its a fine line but as the US is a massive fuel user and will NOT allow its control of global economics to be undermined but insane oil prices.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2006, 09:11 AM   #59
XWildGT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking About Fuel Prices I Think John Howards Watched Mad Max To Much
XWildGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2006, 09:23 AM   #60
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcoota
Talking About Fuel Prices I Think John Howards Watched Mad Max To Much
LOL, got a smile on my face now as I pictured little Johnny sitting in his sofa, cup of Earl Grey in his hand screaming "I am the Night Rider!!!" till his missus slips another prozac into his mouth :

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post