Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 13-07-2006, 11:17 AM   #31
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

my billet mini spool arrived today, i'm buying billet axels now
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 05:43 PM   #32
STOKEB
NOS Induction pssssshhhhh

hehe I like this thread, well guys i have had Spool in my car for around 5 years now and to be honest with use all its good fun but you have to becareful in the rain and taking corners, If you run big tyres on the back you wont get the skipping that comes out the back tyres, but its alot of stress on your gear box and trail arms. You wont need the Billet Axels the stok 28spin are fine. If your gonna spend the cash on Axels get your self a 31spin axel then you will never have problems with braking axels.. oh also never had dramas getting a raody withthe spool in it. You should have to much dramas with the cops for the spool just use bigger tyres in the *** end they wont even no it has a spool, Just tell them its a new LSD thats been Tighten :-p
STOKEB - 3:7 diff gears, 3inch zorst, JMM Race Series Extractors, Custom Bottom end to suit N20, AU DEV 6 Head and Cam, Cold Air Intake, ED XR6 Manual Computer with Flash Tunner, ED XR6 Fuel reg, C10 Auto, 2800stall .
---------------------------------------------------
I LiVe My LiFe A bOtTlE aT a TiMe, FoR tHoSe 200 sQuIrTs I fEeL fReE.........pssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhh
STOKEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 06:06 PM   #33
BlueXr8

get a spool man and you will never look back teach's you how to handle a car in the wet
BlueXr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 06:09 PM   #34
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

yeah you don't need billet, but i personally buying billet axels for extra assurance
Old 13-07-2006, 06:17 PM   #35
protd
TUFF FORDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by STOKEB
hehe I like this thread, well guys i have had Spool in my car for around 5 years now and to be honest with use all its good fun but you have to becareful in the rain and taking corners, If you run big tyres on the back you wont get the skipping that comes out the back tyres, but its alot of stress on your gear box and trail arms. You wont need the Billet Axels the stok 28spin are fine. If your gonna spend the cash on Axels get your self a 31spin axel then you will never have problems with braking axels.. oh also never had dramas getting a raody withthe spool in it. You should have to much dramas with the cops for the spool just use bigger tyres in the *** end they wont even no it has a spool, Just tell them its a new LSD thats been Tighten :-p

just a Q how do bigger tyres stop the wheels skipping i have 12.5" wide tyres on my car and when i put skinny's on for skids etc i can tell u its alot easier on the car with them on.. the big tyres make it far more prone to chadder than say 225's
protd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 06:32 PM   #36
DaNeoS
Banned

mine is going in my car this week. the LSD in it isnt tight enough and i dont want to get it rebuilt, so ill post my reply after driveing on it a little bit
DaNeoS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 06:47 PM   #37
ned
Once shy... twice bitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
so you can actually thrash lsd everyday for a week and it will be ok? cause that's about how long my bro's lsd lasted him.. an he wasn't thrashing it all the time either his lsd is probably about 8yrs old or something about there (but it got recoed & 2 weeks later it went SS...)
Yes... you can. I have done it myself and for a certain period in the past it was more than a week of constant battering. If I was you or your brother I'd be looking for a new place to rebuild your diffs.

+1 LSD.
Old 13-07-2006, 07:29 PM   #38
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Quote:
f your gonna spend the cash on Axels get your self a 31spin axel then you will never have problems with braking axels..
how do you go about fitting 31 spline axels to a borgwarner 28 spline box ?? i've heard people do it.. but how ?
Old 13-07-2006, 07:31 PM   #39
protd
TUFF FORDS

u just buy a 31 spline mini and fit that in place of the 28 mini u just got
Old 13-07-2006, 07:32 PM   #40
protd
TUFF FORDS

of course u need 31 spline axles then
Old 13-07-2006, 07:34 PM   #41
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

no i'm talking about AXELS dude

stoked said instead of buying 28 spline BILLET axels, he said to buy 31 spline axels... so i'm assuming you'd need to go 9inch diff or something?

but i've also heard people magically somehow putting 31 spline into a borgwarner diff whereas I always thought you can only put in 28 spline

so if that is possible, i'll have to go out and buy a 31 spline mini spool + the axels .. .. meh i think there won't be any difference unless you're running like 400+ HP at the rears or something , than you would go 9inch diff and 31 spline axels
Old 13-07-2006, 07:37 PM   #42
protd
TUFF FORDS

u can put 31's in a b/w u just have to tell the axle supplier that its for a b/w
Old 13-07-2006, 07:40 PM   #43
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

yeah fair enough, though i won't go 31 spline i think 28 spline billets axels will suit good enough .. in the end it all could be a waste if you get defected hehe

i only getting 118rwkw so even the standard axels will suit, but as i said for extra assurance i'm going to get 28 spline billet axels
Old 13-07-2006, 07:43 PM   #44
protd
TUFF FORDS

if u are buying billet axles they r the same price for 31's and 28's and the can be used in a 9" later on... But i really dont think u need billet axles at all but thats ur choice
Old 13-07-2006, 08:19 PM   #45
needfordspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

If you don't mind me asking, what are the billet 28 spline axles setting you back? And where are you getting em done? My car will be spooled next time it hits the road hope it doesn't cause *too* much strain on the gearbox.
1988 EA S-Pack|MPI|LSD|AIT turbo manifold|Garrett GT3540|3" Exhaust turbo back|Cooler|Sports ryder shocks|Pedders lows|Resprayed|Microtech LT8s|60lb Injectors|Bosch 044 with surge tank|3000 RPM stall|Ported AU head|Turbo grind cam|Crow double valve springs|1.3mm MLS headgasket|C4 Conversion|Built bottom end|Custom plenum|10.6@125MPH
needfordspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 08:21 PM   #46
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

$600 for 28 spline, $700 for 31 spline

Street & Strip Gears Pty Ltd
PH: 9708 5403
Vic, Dandenong

come to think of it, if the 31 spline billet axels fit i'd definately consider 'em :P
Old 14-07-2006, 12:26 AM   #47
ebs_4l

^^^^^^ what he said, vote for LSD from me, a decent, increased preload LSD is the ducks guts... SPOOLS suck, a perfect way to turn your nice, perfectly good to drive car into a complete piece of S-HIT, trust me, the novelty wears off after a week or so
EB 4L, 8.4:1, GT3540r, Greenslade Engineering exhaust manifold and plenum chamber, 90mm throttle, 600x300x100 cooler, Surecam custom turbo grind, autronic SM4, siemens 72lb, Crane HI-6, LX-92, Innovate LM-1, Turbosmart Street Reg, bosch 044, turbosmart 48mm w/gate and v-port BOV. 335.8rwkw 1bar
ebs_4l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 12:32 AM   #48
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

tight lsd for road and spool in my race car
do you love your car ???? cause if you do and you cant drive your in for a lesson in the wet

oh thats right we are all fangio s arnt we

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 12:55 AM   #49
NEG
Diabolus

I had a locker or welded diff in my old XD with a 351c. I think once you get used to them they arent dangerous if you drive to the road conditions.
You just have to get used to driving like an old woman around corners in the wet unless you like drifting:P. Fun somtimes but a real pain in *** other times. ie: parking. Personaly I wouldnt get one again unless it was only used at the race track.

Quote:
LSDs are basically a 1 wheeler around corners, but lock up both in a straight line.
LSD's should also lock up around corners if you give it a boot, but not under normal driving. The LSD I have now is a bit worn and wont lock up around corners (unless wet) but locks up nicly in a straight line still.
NEG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 11:29 AM   #50
sphell
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd go tight LSD if you've got the money to have it rebuilt properly. A tight LSD will get both wheels spinning 95% of the time you want them to.

Spools are very predictable IMO so you get to know when the *** end is gonna break traction and you get used to it which can make taking corners fun. Understeer in the wet is a big problem and you'll have to take corners slower than what you would with an LSD. They also put a lot of stress on the driveline. Spools are fun but once the novelty wears off you'll wish you got an LSD.
sphell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 06:25 PM   #51
STOKEB
NOS Induction pssssshhhhh

I run 225 tyres on my car every day and there is no wheel skip if i had anything under 225 you can hear the wheels skip and scream around corners, im guessing it also depends on the tyre compund as well.. I`ll be trying out my 275 tyres this weekend and ill see how the diff goes..
STOKEB - 3:7 diff gears, 3inch zorst, JMM Race Series Extractors, Custom Bottom end to suit N20, AU DEV 6 Head and Cam, Cold Air Intake, ED XR6 Manual Computer with Flash Tunner, ED XR6 Fuel reg, C10 Auto, 2800stall .
---------------------------------------------------
I LiVe My LiFe A bOtTlE aT a TiMe, FoR tHoSe 200 sQuIrTs I fEeL fReE.........pssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhh
STOKEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 06:41 PM   #52
needfordspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:
I run 225 tyres on my car every day and there is no wheel skip if i had anything under 225 you can hear the wheels skip and scream around corners, im guessing it also depends on the tyre compund as well.. I`ll be trying out my 275 tyres this weekend and ill see how the diff goes..
Have you ever snapped any axles? (how many?)
1988 EA S-Pack|MPI|LSD|AIT turbo manifold|Garrett GT3540|3" Exhaust turbo back|Cooler|Sports ryder shocks|Pedders lows|Resprayed|Microtech LT8s|60lb Injectors|Bosch 044 with surge tank|3000 RPM stall|Ported AU head|Turbo grind cam|Crow double valve springs|1.3mm MLS headgasket|C4 Conversion|Built bottom end|Custom plenum|10.6@125MPH
needfordspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 06:44 PM   #53
oneredED
need more boost

Quote:
I've found my 235's do it, far more than what the 205's I put on do. It probably varies from tyre to tyre I guess (my 235's are soft and sticky, the 205's hard and bald).
Stops due to: bendix, DBA
Shifter connected to: T5 manual
Power from: ???
Interior: velour and woodgrain
Cost: stuff all :P
oneredED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 08:37 PM   #54
CaRtZ
Aspiring mr efxr

so wot im learning from this thread is that if i wanna rip it sideway every coner (once i have the power) get a mini spool with 31 spline's. if i only wanna frang it every now and then get a tight LSD.
and to pull it sideways with the LSD i got give it a quick, sharp kick on the floor and hold it there.
correct?

Standard = 99.6rwkw <!> 2.5" SuperCat cat back exhaust, Wade 1636 cam, K&N boxed pod (new dyno required
Sony headunit, splits, 6.5"s and 2 x 12" with response precision amp = 135.5 dB

Daily = Ae82 '85 corolla Fwd :togo: , 5 speed, 12" sub, 6x9's, green LED's

the course i am studying: http://www.wodonga.tafe.edu.au/01_courses/course.jsp?id=AUR30905NANA
CaRtZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 08:46 PM   #55
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

lol you don't go sideways with a spool every corner ! unless you want to :P

i think tight lsd makes your LSD a little weaker, though there is always a chance of it SS anyway.. i guess if it's rebuilt really good than you shouldn't really have a problem if you want to thrash it sometimes...
my bros lsd lasted him a week after it was driven in /(normally 2 weeks of driving or xxxx amount of k's which ever is first.)

oh if you wanna do stand stills, don't forget to buy a line locker for the rear .. the one you flick on/off in cabin :P - that way your rear pads don't go to waste hehe
Old 14-07-2006, 09:01 PM   #56
CaRtZ
Aspiring mr efxr

so how much of a beating can a spool withstand?

Standard = 99.6rwkw <!> 2.5" SuperCat cat back exhaust, Wade 1636 cam, K&N boxed pod (new dyno required

the course i am studying: http://www.wodonga.tafe.edu.au/01_courses/course.jsp?id=AUR30905NANA
Old 14-07-2006, 09:03 PM   #57
falconkid
On here daily

As much as u can give it...

JIM
falconkid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 09:09 PM   #58
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

spool can take as much as you can give it, your axels will stand the punishment as alot of people have had no problems.. but if you ever wants to more assured ... you can always get 28 or 31 spline billet axels :P

if you're pushing heaps of rwkw , i'm guessing but maybe 300/400 + rwkw you should keep an eye open for your axels , but really depends as well... billets are a bit stronger so it can take heaps
Old 14-07-2006, 09:14 PM   #59
xd??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaRtZ
so how much of a beating can a spool withstand?
full spool or mini?
xd?? is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 09:17 PM   #60
CaRtZ
Aspiring mr efxr

xd - both. full will take more i take it.
not a chance at 300/400 kw's... in this car anyway. maybe 200