Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-11-2008, 09:24 PM   #31
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate, I wouldn't rule out a Euro Hatch like the Golf GTI or the Renault Megane RS 225. These things go just great, particularly if you have a local road or two with some twisty bits!

I am a big fan of the Golf in particular.

You will get beaten by a V8 or turbo 6 in a straight line, but chances are you wont care because you'll blow them into the weeds around the corners and have the biggest smile on your dial when you drive it.

The best way to decide is to test drive as many cars as you can.

Oh and for what its worth, these types of cars ARE NOT girls cars. Its just that some of the cavemen on here believe that anything smaller (and newer) than a ZH Fairlaine was only meant to be driven by the fairer sex. They just need to get out more, possibly to test drive just how good some of the mid sized cars are.

Of course they also believe that stubbies and double pluggers are the height of male fashion and that real men don't wear deodorant.

Disregard these fellas and drive what gives you a grin mate!
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2008, 09:33 PM   #32
b2tf
not here much anymore

I'm not a fan of the new lancers, just the front end looks big and boofy. However I wouldn't think that you need to be "swayed" to buy something other than Ford - buy what suits you (and what you'll enjoy) most.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:34 PM   #33
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Renault Megane RS225 gets my vote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:40 PM   #34
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torxteer
Theres heaps of male EVO drivers...

We have the standard Lancer hatches at work and I think the rear looks crap to be honest. So does everyone there. I dont think these things will be overly quick. Only 170 or so kw.
I have a WRX and it goes pretty good with only 169kw. I know of one bloke for example, pulled a 13.7 in a stock MY03. Fun cars!

I got pumped by a Polo GTi a few weeks back and had learned that it was putting down 160kws at the wheels. It was pretty impressive!
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2008, 09:46 PM   #35
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
I have a WRX and it goes pretty good with only 169kw. I know of one bloke for example, pulled a 13.7 in a stock MY03. Fun cars!
Yeah i'm not saying they would be slow but they wouldn't be the fastest things on the road.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2008, 09:48 PM   #36
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

short drives little cars are great ,long drives you will get the rags ,ride suffers with less weight .looks are personel,performance is good in almost any car these days so small nifty fast or ,big comfy fast .i would go the falcon on size alone but thats suits my needs whats yours ?
Old 03-11-2008, 09:48 PM   #37
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiginmackay
Oh and for what its worth, these types of cars ARE NOT girls cars. Its just that some of the cavemen on here believe that anything smaller (and newer) than a ZH Fairlaine was only meant to be driven by the fairer sex. They just need to get out more, possibly to test drive just how good some of the mid sized cars are.

Of course they also believe that stubbies and double pluggers are the height of male fashion and that real men don't wear deodorant.

Disregard these fellas and drive what gives you a grin mate!
For what its worth .... he asked for opinions. They are girl cars ..... my opinion. I smell nice and my stubbies are ironed! UGG! My main point is you buy what you like. Thats why they have girl cars available for the fairer sex. If they rock your boat, buy one! Thank god for choices or we would all be forced to drive Corolla's.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2008, 09:50 PM   #38
Ozfords
Girls! Drink! ****! ****!

Try something different, theres more then just Ford.

1993 ED Fairmont Sedan - I6 - Colbalt Blue
- XH Snorkel
- Superlow Kings Springs and KYB Shocks
- Cross Drilled and Slotted DBA front Discs
- 18" pre-AU GT-P Alloy Wheels
- Ford Original Bootlid Spoiler
Ozfords is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2008, 09:51 PM   #39
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkr
The 3 MPS has hidious tourqe steer, and doesn't feel all that fast, I wouldn't recommend that.
You've driven one?

I wouldn't say the torque steer was hideous but it was noticeable on the one I test drove and it would have absolutely snotted my XR8, no problem. That being said, I didn't buy it.

I don't like the back of the hatchback on the Ralliart but if I was in the market today, I'd take it for a spin and see how she went.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2008, 10:23 PM   #40
RAPIDBILL
Shaken not Stirred

Have best of both worlds, I have the GT and the wife has 2 XR5 Focuses.

I drive one of the XR5's to work and am very impressed with the performance, handling, comfort and finish. Also the note you get from the motor into the cab is great and the six spead manual is short and smooth as. The interior is simple and well appointed and the Recaro seats make sure you are well held when you give it some stick. A real pleasure to drive.

So if you like Fords give the XR5 a test drive, I think you will be suitably impressed.
RAPIDBILL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2008, 10:54 PM   #41
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd737
True. I've never met a male Lancer owner. Ever. .
I have a male friend with an EVO IX. Tricked & tuned punching out 500hp. No girls car. But it is a one dimensional buzz box. Wildly fast, cheap inside & out, uncomfortable, poorly equipped (no cruise control), poor ride & noisy. I'd hate to live with it, but it is fast.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:09 PM   #42
TadKa
Wait? What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander31
what the hell steve

What happened to the ute?
Haha. he speaks!! yeah I took too long on that ute and he sold it. I should have bought it. Some good points. I dont really want to drive a girls car. I didnt buy the super pursuit as a posh chick said it was too bogan and told me to buy an audi or something. I like bogan cars. the hot hatch seems to be the place to go these days though. I don't really need a family size car but I want soemthing under $45k and quick.... and might pull me some women..... perhaps....
TadKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2008, 11:10 PM   #43
manxman
Old Granny Driver

If your silly enough to buy Mistubishi you deserve what you get. NEVER buy FWD!!!!!!
manxman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2008, 11:13 PM   #44
TadKa
Wait? What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manxman
If your silly enough to buy Mistubishi you deserve what you get. NEVER buy FWD!!!!!!
No way. If I got a lancer it would def be the awd ralliart. would love evo 10 but its about $20k more
Old 03-11-2008, 11:28 PM   #45
octanet
regular schmuck

Before you look into any of these cars, DRIVE A FG TURBO, if you haven't allready. They do not drive like a large car. By all means, test drive as many of these different cars as possible, but I tell ya, the fg turbo is light years ahead of any of Fords previous offerings. In the end, it's YOUR choice, but you must make an informed decision.
octanet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2008, 11:28 PM   #46
FPV GT40
Banned

Upgrade to a lancer... makes no sense at all....

On top of that that is one hell ugly car....just my opinion of course..but you asked for it.

To be honest I don't think I have met one male lancer driver, ia guy at work, and he gets payed out by the girls for driving a girls car,

Good luck, buy what you like but remember you have to drive it see if they throw the paper bag in for free
FPV GT40 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2008, 11:34 PM   #47
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by manxman
What's wrong with Mitsuibishi?
The EVO X will pretty much silence just about anything on the track that Ford AU can offer.

What's exactly wrong with a well sorted FWD such as Focus XR5, RS, etc?

Oh that's right, haven't bothered to test one. Cling onto your barge *** Falcodores while they're still around :P
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2008, 11:46 PM   #48
TadKa
Wait? What?

What have I started Actually when I was at the Mitsu dealership I said I've always had falcons and he said "oh, do they still make those" I said yeah and they make a lot more of them than 380's.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:32 AM   #49
seduced_xr
BF XR6

im biased so my opinion doesnt really matter. ill be taking hold of a BF 2 XR shortly and once i get my hands on that ill be saving ever penny for a FG XR8 or 6 turbo
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 10:41 AM   #50
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by myts
I have a male friend with an EVO IX. Tricked & tuned punching out 500hp. No girls car. But it is a one dimensional buzz box. Wildly fast, cheap inside & out, uncomfortable, poorly equipped (no cruise control), poor ride & noisy. I'd hate to live with it, but it is fast.
Seems like once a month there is a thread started about how Ford should build a HO that is stripped bare with a kick motor and suspension. Most people seem to like that idea ....
cs123 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 10:47 AM   #51
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by octanet
Before you look into any of these cars, DRIVE A FG TURBO, if you haven't allready. They do not drive like a large car. By all means, test drive as many of these different cars as possible, but I tell ya, the fg turbo is light years ahead of any of Fords previous offerings. In the end, it's YOUR choice, but you must make an informed decision.
This is really the only comment you need to hear - all else is heresay.

Suck it and see
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 10:52 AM   #52
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought a brand new CH VRX last year, sold it within 2 months.

Do a Google on "Mitsubishi Paint Issues", I for one just couldn't believe how thinly applied the paint was on mine, the paintwork was absolutely appalling!

I looked at stone chips on all other makes and models of cars in the car park where I work and all appeared to have a decent depth of paint on them, my Lancer was "barely there" at all, I cannot express to you just how thin it was, I was quite shocked when I inspected my first couple of stone chips on the bonnet .........the first of many I might add, just about anything chipped the paintwork on this POS!

I don't think I will ever buy another Mitsi again, at least not until they learn how to paint them properly.

Maybe take a visit over to some Mitsi Forums and have a good read about any issues actual owners are having with them before you buy.

For what it's worth I would be looking at something else if I where you, I think both the new, FG Falcon and Focus XR5 are just beautiful looking cars, far better than the new CJ Lancer imo.

As others here have mentioned the VW Golf Gti is another one I would be taking a closer look at as well.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 11:15 AM   #53
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by octanet
Agreed. XR6T is the best car in its price range by FAR! You would be mad (or have a chip on your shoulder) not to try it.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 11:41 AM   #54
300C-CRD

If you want fun not speed, do try a Renault Clio Sport. Great little car if you are single and do most of the driving in town.
300C-CRD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 12:00 PM   #55
Jayden
Graphic Artist

exhaust sound. you need more cylinders just to remedy that huge flaw.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:11 PM   #56
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80

Do a Google on "Mitsubishi Paint Issues", I for one just couldn't believe how thinly applied the paint was on mine, the paintwork was absolutely appalling!

I looked at stone chips on all other makes and models of cars in the car park where I work and all appeared to have a decent depth of paint on them, my Lancer was "barely there" at all, I cannot express to you just how thin it was, I was quite shocked when I inspected my first couple of stone chips on the bonnet .........the first of many I might add, just about anything chipped the paintwork on this POS!

I don't think I will ever buy another Mitsi again, at least not until they learn how to paint them properly.

Maybe take a visit over to some Mitsi Forums and have a good read about any issues actual owners are having with them before you buy.

For what it's worth I would be looking at something else if I where you, I think both the new, FG Falcon and Focus XR5 are just beautiful looking cars, far better than the new CJ Lancer imo.

As others here have mentioned the VW Golf Gti is another one I would be taking a closer look at as well.
I wouldn't say Falcons are the best painted cars either, most of them never had paint under the doors.
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 12:15 PM   #57
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

that lancer looks like a holden viva to me..

not my thing at all. heres another vote for a golf gti, or older r32.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:35 PM   #58
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80

Not that many search results and not that many complaints on either AMC or MCA.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 04:54 PM   #59
Aeron
DJR Fan

I could not live with that interior!! The dash is a shocker mate!! Dont do it!
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 05:35 PM   #60
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Not that many search results and not that many complaints on either AMC or MCA.
The first 4 pages of hits are about this very issue, take a read of this one

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f18835f/0
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post