Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

View Poll Results: Engine bay colour
Black 34 36.56%
Same colour as the car 59 63.44%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17-04-2007, 01:20 PM   #31
AU dude
Flying high...

I thought it might be a good idea to continue this thread with everyone showing a pic of their AU engine bay, as there is a thread go on in the B series.com.au showing B series engine bays.

I'll go first.

Not the best, but better than stock.

Last edited by AU dude; 17-04-2007 at 01:26 PM.
AU dude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2007, 01:48 PM   #32
b2tf
not here much anymore

Old 18-04-2007, 09:01 AM   #33
james22
With da Warlords

White, same colour as the car. Hehehe even painted white under the hood lining too. It seems that Ford skimped painting under the hood lining on a lot of cars

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2007, 08:00 AM   #34
Sledgehammer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Looking sweet Aust.
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2007, 08:16 AM   #35
Sledgehammer
Banned

Here a red one for you. Still some more work to do though.

Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2007, 01:12 PM   #36
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sledgehammer, thats sweet. How much rooting around was involved in dropping the 51 in there, and is it street driven?
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2007, 05:44 PM   #37
eXi7w0unD

i got red engine with a blue car..
Old 24-04-2007, 09:47 PM   #38
b2tf
not here much anymore

swap ya stu
Old 25-04-2007, 11:55 AM   #39
walker
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well I have a series 1 XR8 in white and that is the colour of my engine bay!

XE project underway
walker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2007, 12:24 AM   #40
Umineko
Karasu

Ok well as a spraypainter I can clear this one up, Ford in order to cut down on the number of coats applied in the paint process (something most other car makers do also) started using coloured sub base coats to improve the coverage of COB (clear over base) finishes, IE metallics and Pearls which tend to be quite translucent in nature. solid colours like white, black etc are not clear coated so the engine bays will be the same as the overall colour and usually a gloss finish, while metallics are a metallic or pearl tinted base coat which is overcoated with a clear finish, the engine bay receives the sub base coat but not the metallic base coat or clear gloss coat hence the "flat" finish and in some cases differing colours, were you to sand off the colour coats from your car you'd find the same colour over the entire vehicle by doing this Ford could drop about a kilo from the overall weight of the car and save a fortune in paint every year compared to previous models you can actually get mixing codes for these sub base coats should you wish to touch up the engine bay. say after repairs or mods and the surface sheen can be obtained by adding about 10 to 20% 2K hardener to the base coat mix, this will also stabilise the base coat and make it harder wearing
Umineko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2007, 11:46 AM   #41
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

My old AUII XR was Venom with a matt venom engine bay, my TE is galaxy with a black engine bay
Old 01-05-2007, 11:09 AM   #42
AU dude
Flying high...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umineko
Ok well as a spraypainter I can clear this one up, Ford in order to cut down on the number of coats applied in the paint process (something most other car makers do also) started using coloured sub base coats to improve the coverage of COB (clear over base) finishes, IE metallics and Pearls which tend to be quite translucent in nature. solid colours like white, black etc are not clear coated so the engine bays will be the same as the overall colour and usually a gloss finish, while metallics are a metallic or pearl tinted base coat which is overcoated with a clear finish, the engine bay receives the sub base coat but not the metallic base coat or clear gloss coat hence the "flat" finish and in some cases differing colours, were you to sand off the colour coats from your car you'd find the same colour over the entire vehicle by doing this Ford could drop about a kilo from the overall weight of the car and save a fortune in paint every year compared to previous models you can actually get mixing codes for these sub base coats should you wish to touch up the engine bay. say after repairs or mods and the surface sheen can be obtained by adding about 10 to 20% 2K hardener to the base coat mix, this will also stabilise the base coat and make it harder wearing

thanks Umineko, i can understand why ford would want to save money on paint even if its just $1 per car, times that by how many AU's were made.

AU dude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post