Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-03-2006, 08:02 PM   #31
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Ford have always been great with me on test drives. At Gorrells in geelong, as I have bought 10 cars from them, they just give me the keys!! When the GTP first come out the sales manager tony Certoma saw me one whilst working and said, come on in and take it for a drive. Would have driven it there and then if not for monkey suit.......
Old 03-03-2006, 08:50 PM   #32
Eithor

Well i'm only 20 and i rocked up and asked i wanna take an XR6T for test drive?
And they said they didnt have any at the yard but down been fixed it come in this morning he said.. i was like oh k... then he goes meh i'll drive u down there and we can go take it for a drive so i did...

I didnt Show my licences.. i used a quater of a tank of fuel. and then i said hmm i'll goto bank see if i can get the cash I never returned..

This salesman was pretty cool hes was pretty young about 26. i still anit brought xr6t yet as i brought a house instead but i deffently go back there and look again =D

Also!!
I just sold my Holden cause they a a bunch of retards also. and i will never buy one again they just screw u around tell you one date or they will ring u but days pass no call, so ring them then its been stretched for another week they will ring me tell me its ready Noo.. call again 3 days pass.. then i find out that i need a new gear box and will take 5 - 7 days to get one. blah blah blah.. Holden suck... some ppl say ford suck too.. but to put it bluntly i think all the motor companys suck just luck of the draw on what ur problems is and hope it anit major

Last edited by Eithor; 03-03-2006 at 09:00 PM.
Eithor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 09:14 PM   #33
all4ford
XW 351

A little bit off-topic but along the same lines, my mother and I just visited Surfers Paradise recently looking to buy an investment property and we went to look through an apartment and before the real estate agent showed us through, he says "have you got the money?". It was so insulting as in he looked at us and saw we were only wearing thongs and casual clothing. Anyway we bought one elsewhere and organised for the real estate we bought through to send him a fax explaining how half a million had been spent elsewhere. lol.

Anyways what I'm getting at, is these sales people these days, who most likely have barely no money themselves think they can look at you and judge you on appearances, and as being seen from this thread, all it does is cost them a sale. It must also be said, that many women are treated with disrespect, such as my mother for example, so many occassions she has gone into buy something and they've asked her "wouldn't you like to consult your husband first?", it insults her so much considering she is the financial whiz of the family and all my father does is ask where to sign? lol

What makes me laugh is, you could probably walk into most dealers wearing a business suit without a penny to your name and get a test drive straight up.
all4ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2006, 01:13 AM   #34
RATT

Let me clear something up for people wanting a "test drive" of an FPV or and Ford for that matter.

Firstly, there are a limited number of demonstrator vehicles. It costs money and not every model in the range will be available for a test drive at all times.
When a customer walks in and asks " Can I have a test drive of the XR6 Turbo/ XR8" it is not wise to go ahead and do it. The person needs to be qualified first as there are many who only want a "fang".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eithor
I didnt Show my licences.. i used a quater of a tank of fuel. and then i said hmm i'll goto bank see if i can get the cash I never returned..
The above comment proves my point.

People then wonder why some cars in the yard have so many km on them??

There is nothing wrong for a customer to be asked what their intentions are after they ask for a test drive.

I have had one example of where a 2 blokes came in wanting to drive an XR8. I gave in without asking too much. On the way back I asked again what they planned on doing and one said that they are from Melbourne and in Sydney for a week, and will buy one in 3 months. I let them know that I was not pleased they hadn't mentioned this earlier to which they replied "All Ford dealers are the same, so you should all work together?" ...
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2006, 01:49 AM   #35
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

Default Same Same

I am 41 and have bought many new cars both for my business and personal use. (I currently have 3 BA's an earlier Falcon and a Capri), I have been a loyal ford supporter all this time and when the time came to buy my GT, the first V8 I have ever owned I wanted to test one, went to Metro Ford where I had bought several Falcons, two Lasers, and two KA's I was told the 6 spd manual which was registered in the yard was for exectutive use only and not available for me to drive. out: I spoke to a broker that same afternoon he organised a drive for me and I ordered the car the same day. ( he even supplied it at a lower cost than I had been Quoted). I have not taken any of my cars back to Metro for servicing. This attitude is abhorent and I am quite sure it is the reason why Ford can not sell a superior car to as many people as GMH, That and the fact that HNL is a very active support for GMH and stitch up large companies with contracts stopping employees getting a Ford even if they want one. :
If anyone in Ford is interested in selling cars they should make available the cars they want to sell, let the consumers make an informed choice and logically buy the Ford. (yes I am biased but have you sat in the cushion that GMH call a drivers seat in a VZ, No support and can't even adjust the lower squab indepentently front to rear)
Old 04-03-2006, 02:44 AM   #36
YELLAUTE
old fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
Let me clear something up for people wanting a "test drive" of an FPV or and Ford for that matter.

Firstly, there are a limited number of demonstrator vehicles. It costs money and not every model in the range will be available for a test drive at all times.
When a customer walks in and asks " Can I have a test drive of the XR6 Turbo/ XR8" it is not wise to go ahead and do it. The person needs to be qualified first as there are many who only want a "fang".

There is nothing wrong for a customer to be asked what their intentions are after they ask for a test drive.

I have had one example of where a 2 blokes came in wanting to drive an XR8. I gave in without asking too much. On the way back I asked again what they planned on doing and one said that they are from Melbourne and in Sydney for a week, and will buy one in 3 months. I let them know that I was not pleased they hadn't mentioned this earlier to which they replied "All Ford dealers are the same, so you should all work together?" ...
I think you have got it wrong. I know this is not how it used to be. The two blokes up on holidays from Melbourne probably went back and bought one in Melbourne – they took the opportunity whilst on holiday in Sydney to have a fang in the new XR or Turbo Ford they had read about, because they had the time while they were on hols. Possibly some dude from Sydney holidaying in Melbourne at the same time did likewise, and came home and bought one too, maybe at your yard!! What the hell is the matter with showing everyone how good a thing these Fords are and not annoying and alienating possible customers by qualifying every one that walks into the yard. I and many people I know are sick and tired of the habit of being rudely qualified by sales people. You want our business, advertise your product, show your product, allow your product to be test driven all with a smile and some curtesy or like all thinking consumers, we will take our business elsewhere.
Have a look at the sales figures and ask yourself if maybe a new (old) approach might just help the bottom line.

"Old fartism" like "young d!ckheadism" is an attitude and lifestyle choice......

PX Ranger XLT 3.2 6sp Auto Super Cab
2012 Focus Mk2 Sport Manual
YELLAUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2006, 03:36 AM   #37
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It really is hit and miss. I actually had the guy that sold me the ST recommend me to NOT buy a similar XR6 in blue, and when i asked why he said "just trust me". I then went and asked another guy what was up and they informed me it had been in a prety nasty head on and wasnt worth the problems.

1 year on, I pull into the dealership and the guy that sold me my car gets out of his car right next to me when I parked and said "Hey Shane"

That to me is the sign of a good salesperson. Interestingly enough I walked in with torn cargo pants and the worst hairdo imaginable and he still let me testdrive a 27 grand car....

Dealers these days I find are all too interested in their commision and dont really care about the fact that the person might be feeling rather lazy that day.....
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2006, 07:52 AM   #38
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

thats is gay no wonder ford are missing sales
qwigybo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2006, 08:34 AM   #39
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

when i purchased my BA i was looking at getting a brand new one from ford but because i was 19 they seemed to keep avoiding the fact i wanted to drive one... about an hour of discussion then thye go so would you like to put your finance application in now, (what about a test drive mate) oh you can take it for one after we find out if you can afford it (stick it up ur clacker... walks out of dealership)... drive 30 secs down the road pick one up that arvo with 1200km's on it, go back and see the guy at ford about 1hr later and tell him i want it book in for warranty work... haha he was ИИИИed
qwigybo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2006, 11:22 AM   #40
RATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by YELLAUTE
I think you have got it wrong. I know this is not how it used to be. The two blokes up on holidays from Melbourne probably went back and bought one in Melbourne – they took the opportunity whilst on holiday in Sydney to have a fang in the new XR or Turbo Ford they had read about, because they had the time while they were on hols. Possibly some dude from Sydney holidaying in Melbourne at the same time did likewise, and came home and bought one too, maybe at your yard!!
Unfortunately it doesn't work that way because each dealer is it's own business. Would you spend time with someone knowing full well they will not buy from you, just so you can "show how good your product is"?
Yes I love the blue oval, and many people on AFF know of my passion, but I also have a job to do. And that is to sell vehicles and serve people that will buy from me and my employer. And no Ford is not my employer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YELLAUTE
What the hell is the matter with showing everyone how good a thing these Fords are and not annoying and alienating possible customers by qualifying every one that walks into the yard. I and many people I know are sick and tired of the habit of being rudely qualified by sales people. You want our business, advertise your product, show your product, allow your product to be test driven all with a smile and some curtesy or like all thinking consumers, we will take our business elsewhere.
Have a look at the sales figures and ask yourself if maybe a new (old) approach might just help the bottom line.
This new (old) approach does not work. Qualifying someone is not being rude, it's doing the job right. If everyone that asked for a test drive got one, then salespeople will spend over half their day out of the dealership. There are also phones to answer, internet enquiries etc as well. What about people that are not test driving and only want to see a car. Who will speak to them? People then complain that they had to wait 15min before someone was available. Believe me this happens and people are not happy to wait longer than they think they need to. Not to mention that there are other duties to be done such as maintaining the yard and following through on cars already sold.

Why Ford/ Holden is compared with Porsche dealership levels of service is beyond me. Yes of course you will be offered a test drive when each porsche salesperson may only see a handfull of people each week. Yes you will be offered a test drive when there is probably at least 300% more margin per car than a Ford/ Holden. Not to mention that their dealer charge may be around $4000- $5000. Yes you will be offered a test drive of a Porsche when the cost of a service may be around $1500-$3000. :
Old 04-03-2006, 11:27 AM   #41
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Quote:

Hi RATT. Again while I understand some aspects of your attitude, I cannot agree with others. The FPV GT and F6 are NOT manufactured by dealers. There is going to be a lot of people who simply need to drive the car to make there minds up, but may purchase elsewhere. Now perhaps that is something that FPV should address as part of its dealer set up and distribution of revenue etc, but I cant say this strongly enough. The dealer is NOT selling me a car. FPV are. It's their product that needs to convince me, not the dealers. So if there is a cycle of "well no point showing A this car as he's only going to buy from B" then FPV are doomed I'm afraid. There is no way, and you must bear this in mind as many COUPLES buy cars, not just male rev heads, that FPV are going to come out on top when prospect purchases are offered a far superior sales and marketing experience. There is probably no way in the world Mrs XWGT will walk back into an FPV dealership now, but we most certainly are still in negotiations with Subaru and Mitsubishi.

And that, as I have stated, as a life long Ford man, I find disappointing.

Cheers
Old 04-03-2006, 11:34 AM   #42
RATT

I completely understand your point. And at the very least, it's great feedback.

But it is hard for FPV to keep track of where a car is test drive to where it is bought. And to be honest, no other manufacturer does it as far as I know and I feel that no Ford / FPV dealer should have to either.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:45 AM   #43
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

I fail to see what is so hard about answering a few quetions in the lead up to a test drive. I've test driven cars at various dealerships over the years and found that most of them at least ask a few questions first and within minutes you are out in the car. If they have your number and decide to call afterwards all you have to do is say no thank you. Its no big deal.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:05 PM   #44
gtfpv
GT

i am more than willing too answer questions before a test drive . but nif i want to drive one i am the buyer. what ИИИИwit actually thinks it would be logical to order one without driving one 1st . i can only hope that when these sales reps go to buy a home that the realestate person tells them they dont need to go and see the house . show us your finance and just order it.
any way the best thing i did was vote with my feet . i will never beg for a test drive, and if the rep thinks i am not worthy of a drive then i will agree and buy elsewhere off a person who seels cars not some ИИИИwit . and if the dealer hasnt got one to drive thenbad ИИИИing luck . same as if i go to an icecream shop and there is no icecream left ill go down the road.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2006, 06:14 PM   #45
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
I completely understand your point. And at the very least, it's great feedback.

But it is hard for FPV to keep track of where a car is test drive to where it is bought. And to be honest, no other manufacturer does it as far as I know and I feel that no Ford / FPV dealer should have to either.
ratt i agree with what you are saying . but the dealers are doing it wrong doesnt mean its the salemans fault though .
Old 04-03-2006, 09:33 PM   #46
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my mate who went into Hervey Bay Ford dealer and got ИИИИed off was wearing his stubbies and singlet,you dealers are pretty silly sometimes as lots of workers (tradesmen and labourers wear work clothes and buy new utes and 4wdrives plus family cars and most will only put up with dirty looks and bad attitudes for 5 seconds then go elseware.
i hate to think how many salesmen have watched someone walk out after a few seconds thinking how their assesment was correct when in fact the guy or girl just went to another car yard.you should be bending over backwards to be nice after 10 years of selling cars that broke doorhandles off every few months and lost thousands of buyers for the last 10 or more years who are only now coming back to cars that actually look tough for a change ,so thinking they will try another Ford and then copping that superior attitude from pretty boy salesmen, no wonder Ford are laying off workers.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2006, 12:07 PM   #47
RATT

nicholas, salespeople who prejudge people are wrong. The example you give of people who walk in to a Ford dealer wearing a singlet and stubbies, is exactly why a salesperson should do their job properly by qualifying the customer before coming to a conclusion. So asking a customer a few questions before prices are quoted or a test drive is given is the right thing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
ratt i agree with what you are saying . but the dealers are doing it wrong doesnt mean its the salemans fault though .
To a point maybe. But my opinion is that some salespeople who have been in the industry for many years will do it the wrong way no matter what the dealer does. And this also stems from the attitude the sales manager has. They are the leader and should leadby example.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:19 PM   #48
phat_stak_tipa
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this isnt just happening in the car sector the bike sector is also doing this whole nah u cant test ride thing in a bike forum i visit they have some bad experiences also and these arent young hoons they are blokes who are mature and own/owned several bikes over their years but as has been said by others they have left and gone elsewhere e.g other brands or different dealers..... it cant be good for people to be burned because word of mouth hurts and spreads rapidly.....
phat_stak_tipa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2006, 02:15 PM   #49
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

When I went shopping for my Focus last December, I went to four dealerships. Two of them were more than happy for me to take the car for a spin.

First one took me an escorted drive.

Second one said "Yeah... by all means, go nuts. You dont need me to come with you right?"

Third dealership said "You're looking to buy in 6 weeks ey? Come back in about 3 weeks when you're closer to buying and we can go for a test drive then"

Fourth dealership said nothing. Two of their salesmen gave me a "G'day" wave behind the glass and continued to watch TV and drink coffee... at 2pm in the afternoon on a weekday. I was never attended to despite calling for their attention. I left after 20 minutes which I think is more than enough time for them to finish their coffee and whatever they were watching on TV

During this same period, I also went to a couple of other makes to see what the other cars are like.

Mazda3: Insisted I take a test drive before we talked about the specs and pricing.

VW Golf: Asked what price range I was looking at and took me on a test drive in the variant that was what I could afford. 3 days later, gave me a follow-up call to see if I wanted the Golf.

Holden Astra: (Not that I wanted one but I figured I might as well) Wanted me to get my dad to come along... : I'm 25 years old... 26 in 2 weeks.

Well... thats my experiences when I went shopping for a brand new car last December.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2006, 02:42 PM   #50
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Oh, the Mazda mob also called me 3 days after I took the test drive and followed up with a letter. Then, a week before I was due to buy, they called me up again and asked if I had made a decision. When I said I was going for the Focus, they asked if I'd consider taking a Mazda3 for a weekend to try and change my mind.

I think THAT is dedication to a sale.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2006, 10:20 PM   #51
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

I think (hope) there's concensus that this poor pre sale service / demonstration of product is not just limited to Ford dealerships.

Ive purchased a few brand new vehicles and have had bad sales experiences from not just Ford but others. Likewise with service related issues.

The worst was when my wife and I wanted to drive a new Rex (subsequently we've had two) and the sales guy insulted my wife by suggesting that she need not drive the car as she wouldn't fully understand the performance and handling of it. (NO JOKE)Both our Rexes were purchased for my WIFE to drive, so her say was the final say. I was just the husband trying to get her into a quick car.... we've purchased our Rexes elsewhere.

Unproffessional sales persons are like arseholes.......... they're everywhere. Just look at how many staff get turned over in most dealerships. Often they don't really know much about the product their selling, and sadly many demonstarte the human interactive skills of someone that would rather not be there.

Shop around guys (and gals !!!) and spend YOUR money with someone that deserves it. Ive learnt that it's by no means always the cheapest sales deal that deserves your dollars. If you find a dealership team that gives you the sales / service experience that you expect, then pay for it. A couple of hundred, or even one thousand bucks saved at purchase time can COST you big doses of griefe and frustartion over the life of your pride and joy.

The dodgy dealer does not deserve ANYONES money. Lets send them a message through their sales results.............

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2006, 11:05 PM   #52
chief
FTF Club Moderator

When my dad was looking at an NCII Fairlane, went to Titan Ford and was given the car for the weekend and was encouraged to drive it. We asked if we could go to the Blue Mountains in it and was tolled yes you can. Used over a tank of fuel and about 400km. Dad went in on Monday and didn't return with a key but a Bank cheque. The dealer and saleman knew my dad, knew that we had a growing family and said test drive it with your family because you need to consider them. Dad loved the car and the V8 under the bonnet and bought it.

I every know and then get a call from the Titan Ford when the knew model came out and was invited to go for a test drive. 2 BA Mach 1's and a BA Mach 2. All three XR6's. I am only 20, but I think that this dealership has treated me right and followed up. And now my dad is getting a car from there in about a months time.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2006, 11:51 PM   #53
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
I think (hope) there's concensus that this poor pre sale service / demonstration of product is not just limited to Ford dealerships.

Ive purchased a few brand new vehicles and have had bad sales experiences from not just Ford but others. Likewise with service related issues.

The worst was when my wife and I wanted to drive a new Rex (subsequently we've had two) and the sales guy insulted my wife by suggesting that she need not drive the car as she wouldn't fully understand the performance and handling of it. (NO JOKE)Both our Rexes were purchased for my WIFE to drive, so her say was the final say. I was just the husband trying to get her into a quick car.... we've purchased our Rexes elsewhere.

Unproffessional sales persons are like arseholes.......... they're everywhere. Just look at how many staff get turned over in most dealerships. Often they don't really know much about the product their selling, and sadly many demonstarte the human interactive skills of someone that would rather not be there.

Shop around guys (and gals !!!) and spend YOUR money with someone that deserves it. Ive learnt that it's by no means always the cheapest sales deal that deserves your dollars. If you find a dealership team that gives you the sales / service experience that you expect, then pay for it. A couple of hundred, or even one thousand bucks saved at purchase time can COST you big doses of griefe and frustartion over the life of your pride and joy.

The dodgy dealer does not deserve ANYONES money. Lets send them a message through their sales results.............
Tex, i agree 100% with your statement.

i am a sales exec for toyota in brisbane, a test drive is something that is always offered when a client has taken the time to walk into our dealership, qualifying is part of building a relationship and making sure that you understand the customer and their need's and wants in a vehicle, from a business point of view will make you understand what these people are here for if it is research or if they are looking to purchace on the day or very near future, nothing more and nothing less.

Ratt has some very good points as well from a dealership point of view, the guys from melb blah blah want a test drive but will buy when they get back etc yea it ИИИИes you off but maybe its a test to your skills as a sales person, i sold a prius to a lady in ACT before she moved down their, she was going to buy down their but offered her the service and gave her the reasons to buy before she moved, even organised to pick her up from the airport when she flew up to collect her new car, some times it works some times it dosent.

NEVER judge a book by its cover, i spoke to a guy once at 5:45 on a sat avo while he was wearing stubbies and a singlet, turns out he owns a roof paining business and proceeded to buy 3 cars thru me, as i was the ONLY one that day who had time for him, he had been to 4 dealers previous inc ford,holden,mitsu and nissan....

timewasters i guess you will get them but they are really a minorioty, you lean to deal with it but from a business point of view if you lie to me, and screw around after a while we are human and get ИИИИed off.... and tell you to ИИИИ off, just take a second to think if it was your business before u flame that quote though.

Ryan

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2006, 11:58 PM   #54
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

UNR8D you would have to be successfull with that attitude, good on you, and keep it up,
Just one thing could you get a job at a ford yard Thanks
Old 06-03-2006, 12:22 PM   #55
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Guys, this has been my experience with Ford:

I bought an AUII XR8 from Thomson Ford in 2001 and decided in 2003 to buy a GTP. I was living in Pyrmont at the time and went to City Ford. The salesman there was pretty keen, I was offered, and went on, a test drive, but they didn't want to budge on the trade-in price. I then tried Thomson Ford; the salesman, a different guy to the one who sold me the XR8, went on a test drive with me but he was disinterested, not too familiar with the product and also offered me a lower trade-in price than City Ford. There was no follow up by City Ford or Thomson Ford of any kind.

I was visiting my parents at Glenmore Park the next weekend and popped into Sinclair Ford. I had never dealt with them before. They had 2 GTs there but no FPV salesman and I was told I only he looked after FPV sales. I wasn't too impressed.

On the following Monday morning the Sinclair Ford guy calls me at work (at Pyrmont) and says he was meeting a customer in Sydney and asked afterwards if he could drop by my office and take me for test drive in a GT! He was on time and really knew the product.

Eventually, I bought from him as he followed up and in the end was just a little bit away from what I was after for my XR8. Sinclair Fords' quote for the GTP was also lower than the other 2 dealerships.

So I guess the lesson is that like with most things, you only get out what you put in and if the salesman doesn't want to make effort or is judgemental, he can't really blame the customer for going elsewhere.

Jim Young
GTP534 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 12:35 PM   #56
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

One thing I have noticed from buying 13 new Fords over the last 10 years is that none of the sales people actually really know anything about their products. They know the price and options etc, but don't really have any passion, like we do here at the forum. Would be awesome to go to a salesperson that can talk about Fords because he is passionate about them and can talk the talk. When I bought my Turbo and was talking stats with sales staff they offered me a job.......
Old 06-03-2006, 02:30 PM   #57
Ringo
I see you....

I used to work for a BMW Dealer as a technician. I can tell you a story of two chinese fella's dressed in jeans and jumpers who wandered into the showroom one Saturday afternoon to talk and drive a 7 series. Salesman talks the talk, shows them some of the gadgets, they go for a drive and everyone is happy. One of the chinese fellas says they were at another BMW dealer earlier in the day but didn't like the experience, were not treated with respect or whatever.

When it came time to close the deal Salesman asks what do you think. Chinese men have a little conference and say "yes....we will have 7 or them".....that's about 1.4 million bucks worth of cars sold in one afternoon to two casually dressed chinese guys who walked in off the street after visiting another dealer...

Had 2 young ethnic fellows who walked in and bought identical cars worth $80k each. They had taken over their dad panel beating business and cash galore but no business sense obviously if they are spending $160k of the business's money on cars....der
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 05:23 PM   #58
gtfpv
GT

the funny thing was with me the fpv rep that made me book an interview woith him and told me how good he is for 2 hours and how good the cars are and the dealershipo is and all the surprises he has in for me if i buy one . made me fill out a raffle ticket to enter me in it and i had to tick a box on the raffle ticket that stated i'd had a test drive of an fpv . i did win a cricket bat . pitty i didnt get a drive though and he wouldnt tell me what the surprises were or negotiate a price. he wanted another finalising interview something like a 4 or 5 step proces before you pay full price haha . funny that the 1srt thing i said was i have a deposit and if he met my requirements i'd buy on the day . waste of 2 hours.
the dealer i bought off 4th dealer i visited same opening statement from me .thew me the keys of an xr8 with luxury pack and gave me a drive . very nice came back showed me the gt and gave me a drive . came back went in with boss for 5 minutes came out with 2 quotes good discounts on both . , more off the gt than xr8. asked if i wanted to test drive xr6t or typhoon. then we shook hands and i paid $1000 cash deposit on the GT. HE DONE EXACTLY WHAT I ASKED OF HIM WHOLE PROCESS DONE IN ABOUT 45 MINUTES.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:01 PM   #59
gekko
Starter Motor

The fundamental problem is that car manufacturers which sell high volume cars (i.e. Ford, Holden, Toyota, etc.) are always going to be less picky about who sells their cars. They sell in high volumes and rely more on price and value for money than on customer loyalty (a generalisation, but it basically holds true).

Porsche and Subaru go for niche markets (in Australia), so they are more picky about their dealers, because for them, every sale counts.

If Ford disciplined all it's dodgy dealers, it would only end up with about 5 dealerships across the country
gekko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 06:20 PM   #60
AnthonyQLD
Boss power

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertuan
Oh, the Mazda mob also called me 3 days after I took the test drive and followed up with a letter. Then, a week before I was due to buy, they called me up again and asked if I had made a decision. When I said I was going for the Focus, they asked if I'd consider taking a Mazda3 for a weekend to try and change my mind.

I think THAT is dedication to a sale.
Yeah Mazda do seem to have good dedication to sale. You can always get a test drive of what ever you want