Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-09-2011, 01:39 PM   #31
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Default Re: What's the missus reckon?

Girlfriend doesn't get it but has no problem with it, even buys mods. She bought my dual zone conversion and some of the fairmont trims.

I'm trying to talk her into an Xr8 ute but she doesn't want a ute.

(guess the sedan will have to do)
Old 04-09-2011, 02:07 PM   #32
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Mine had the wisdom to show me how much money I was wasting on mods.
It was ridiculous once I stopped and thought about it.

That being said, she doesn't care what I do with cars (doesn't really interest her).
I'm a musician, she loves the music I play but she gives me my own time to play/write it with my fellow band members.

She's not a bad sort, I've installed a stereo in her car though - she was pretty pleased about that
Old 04-09-2011, 04:08 PM   #33
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

She loves cars. Not to the extent I do, but she still enjoys driving them.
We just bought an old ute to replace our little Morris Minor which we sold. I was trolling Ebay looking at utes, and said to her that a Kingswood would be good, as there seemed to be plenty about and prices were reasonable, parts were cheap and plentiful, and they looked good done up.
I spotted a V8 WB, and was humming and hahhing about it, and she looked at it and said "Just buy it before someone else does!". I said "It's a V8 you know", and she said "So?".

Now in the yard outside sits an '82 WB ute with lowered suspension, new brakes, a 253 V8 with mild cam, extractors, and a Holley, and a shift-kitted auto. I said to her that it needs a coat of paint and a couple of tiny rust touch ups, but nothing major and that the interior needs retrimming. She said she's going to redo that, and when I pointed out the busted and butchered plastic fascia on the GTS dash, she said "Well buy a new fascia off that ad on Ebay you showed me...we're going to have this ute for quite a while aren't we...and I want it to look nice when I'm driving it".

I think I'll keep her.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2011, 04:46 PM   #34
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

I seriously feel bad for you guys that have been burnt, it doesn't have to be that way!

Keep looking, you will find a partner that will accept and support your pass time, your passions.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2011, 05:25 PM   #35
Tuddy200
Reaching for 200...

What Missus? LOL

Spending too much money and time on my car to worry about finding one of them!

Oh well, means more to spend on the car that should eventually impress one of them, yeah?

04' BA XR6 - Blueprint - 6 Speed with Rip Shift - HD Clutch
2.5"/BFGT Exhaust System with Quad Tips - 4490's Extractors
19" ROH Flares - 20% Underdrives - Interior Colour Coded - Sunroof - BOSS Bonnet
Stage 2 Crow Cam's - Crow Cam's Valve Springs - BPR Airbox
M86 LSD Diff with 4.1s - Upgraded Brakes with Slotted DBA 4000's
Leather Interior - Rear Power Windows

Projects Underway: Sound System
Tuddy200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #36
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The minister here,was soooooo against my past time of holdens
"No Holdens in this yard, Fords or nothin"
Couldnt have nothin so theres a few fords in the yard
Best move i ever done, but dont tell her that
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2011, 06:17 PM   #37
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Well like alot of guys here Ive also hit jackpot!
A couple of times Im discussed selling the project car and the 4wd and buy a respectable work car along the lines on an Audi or something, and her overwhelming disappoint was enough to make me snap out of it. Her feelings of the V8 is amazing! When we went on the AutoTech track day I dont think Ive seen her that happy.
With the wedding plans shes more happy to make me decided on flowers, colours, location etc as long as she got the car she wanted. Hahahhahaha!!

So lucky I think indeed
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #38
nipper575
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess my car has always been my missus, haha. (Yeah, that's ****in sad).
Old 04-09-2011, 07:26 PM   #39
Ibrox90
Banned

Mines into fast cars, but only if they "look pretty".

And anything old is ugly (yes including Coupe's , Dodge chargers and Vette stingrays)

Except a Chev Impala......because its on supernatural *Rolls eyes* Having said that I could live with an SS impala

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:
Quad Exhaust, Hi-Flow Air filter, BFtiming chain tensioners, Billet Oil pump gears
stage 2 shift kit, riding on G6ET 18's

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Parking your ford after a long day of being Awesome
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkin...37774932974038

Last edited by Ibrox90; 04-09-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Ibrox90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2011, 08:47 PM   #40
fordfreak1

my missus just gave me a voucher to help buy some tools for me.

if you have a missus thats not supportive of what you do, show her the door. im always supportive of her hobbies etc etc. win win.

she loves my ute so thats all that matters.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:57 PM   #41
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

As long as our lifestyle is maintained, I do as I please with my Fords. No question.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2011, 09:14 PM   #42
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine said she is going to keep her Toyota echo forever because it's a good car apparently. So yeah she is not into cars. But she doesn't care what I do either.

I have taught her a bit about cars. She now knows the basics which I am happy with. Before she didn't even know different car makes.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2011, 09:29 PM   #43
Zero_PSI
Banned

My missus loves it when she gets involved. But when she's not, she hates it.
Zero_PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2011, 09:37 PM   #44
Cam
Stroking it...

Well I am still very much in the "honeymoon" stage having only been seeing my missus for a few months, first time she got in my car she told me it was sexy... it was a good start..

Since we've been together she's never whinged that I've spent entire days working on the car, and is always there as an expert tool passer! As yet no complaints about the sometimes "faulty right foot" that seems to make the car reach the speed limit quickly..

This weekend she topped up her coolant, replaced her air filter and watched me replace her spark plus and do an oil change. Progress is good!

She even asked me if we can make her car sexy... can you make a white 2001 auto 1.6L laser Sedan sexy??
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2011, 10:28 PM   #45
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
Well I am still very much in the "honeymoon" stage having only been seeing my missus for a few months, first time she got in my car she told me it was sexy... it was a good start..

Since we've been together she's never whinged that I've spent entire days working on the car, and is always there as an expert tool passer! As yet no complaints about the sometimes "faulty right foot" that seems to make the car reach the speed limit quickly..

This weekend she topped up her coolant, replaced her air filter and watched me replace her spark plus and do an oil change. Progress is good!

She even asked me if we can make her car sexy... can you make a white 2001 auto 1.6L laser Sedan sexy??

That's grouse!!! Haha.

I didn't actually expect this thread to take off!! Keep the replies comin!!!

There's no replacement for displacement!!!

Handling: Bilstein Shocks with King springs all round, Whiteline 27mm front swaybar & 22mm rear adj, upgraded PBR rotors, calipers and braided lines all round with Bendix Ultimate pads.
Go Fast Bits: Herrod C.A.I with K&N 4" pod flter, Herrod Helix spacer, Herrod oil breathers, Tridon 72c thermostat, Herrod 2.5" stainless cat back zorst.
Bunyip04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2011, 11:07 PM   #46
coupecouple04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam

My mates analogy is they will do everything and anything to win the heavyweight title like a champion boxer but once they win the title the interest starts to fade.

I can't complain about my wife she manages to buy me something car related every birthday ,Christmas and Fathers day.
coupecouple04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2011, 12:00 AM   #47
Ibrox90
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam

Sure you can

http://www.gtautostyle.com.au/ford/LaserRB.jpg

and mine is apparently keen for me to put herrod cams in the car

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:
Quad Exhaust, Hi-Flow Air filter, BFtiming chain tensioners, Billet Oil pump gears
stage 2 shift kit, riding on G6ET 18's

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Parking your ford after a long day of being Awesome
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkin...37774932974038

Last edited by Ibrox90; 05-09-2011 at 12:07 AM.
Ibrox90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2011, 08:50 AM   #48
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupecouple04
My mates analogy is they will do everything and anything to win the heavyweight title like a champion boxer but once they win the title the interest starts to fade.
Absolute gold !!!

Gee there seems to be a few lads missing around here
"She who must be obeyed" holding back replies ???
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2011, 09:10 AM   #49
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My missus doesn't mind me spending a little hard earned on things for the car that can be justified, but things I want (and have replaced) that didn't need replacing (std to slotted rotors for example) need some negotiation. Allowing her to purchase some jewellery always seems to do the trick!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2011, 09:28 AM   #50
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

the replies in this thread! I have no issue with how much Jack spends on the cars, in fact, I think in the past year or so, I have spent more than double what he has on my car.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:59 AM   #51
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

My wife has NFI about cars. When I was explaining technical specs between cars when we were car shopping she said she liked 'the red one' lol.

Anyway.... she knows I'm a car nutter. That was confirmed earlier this year while on a European trip. Went to Turin, Italy and visited the Automotive Museum there We went in as a group (Myself, wife, mum, sis, cousin and uncle). I exited 3 hrs later - 2 hrs after them. They waited for me in the coffee shop there and she made sure no one tried to call me to 'hurry me up' as she knew I was in Automotive heaven. (Hey, I did the Sound of Music tour with her in Salzburg with no complaints) so fair's fair lol.

Anyway, she went back to the hotel and that night secretly booked this for my birthday:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...hlight=ferrari

I'm a lucky man ;)
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2011, 11:19 AM   #52
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned
My missus doesn't mind me spending a little hard earned on things for the car that can be justified, but things I want (and have replaced) that didn't need replacing (std to slotted rotors for example) need some negotiation. Allowing her to purchase some jewellery always seems to do the trick!

I just tell her for e.g my rotors are ***** so I'm going to replace them, but put better ones on for safety as Well!
Which is true anyways.

There's no replacement for displacement!!!

Handling: Bilstein Shocks with King springs all round, Whiteline 27mm front swaybar & 22mm rear adj, upgraded PBR rotors, calipers and braided lines all round with Bendix Ultimate pads.
Go Fast Bits: Herrod C.A.I with K&N 4" pod flter, Herrod Helix spacer, Herrod oil breathers, Tridon 72c thermostat, Herrod 2.5" stainless cat back zorst.
Bunyip04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2011, 11:28 AM   #53
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ego gtp
my wife is incredible, doesnt mind my passion gets up at 6 am every sat and sun morning to cook my breakfast after i get home from work comes with me to all the cruises and shows, wouldnt change her for anything else on this planet she is the best cheers gary
Great indication that she loves you. Same with my wife...
Old 05-09-2011, 11:48 AM   #54
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

All you blokes are lucky. It must be a great feeling to have a woman willing to accept your car passion for what it is.

Myself, well....My wife has reluctantly let me spend countless $$$ on cars over the years. To the point now, that it annoys her, but she knows it makes me happy.

She has never been against it, but never been for it either. Her idea on cars is 'a car is a car'. She never had any family that was into cars, and could never understand the passion. But felt that if it made me happy, then it was good, and I sincerely thank her for that. She does wish I'd grow out of it though, and to some extent I am lessening my love for cars as I get older for other pursuits that we both can enjoy. I have found great enjoyment in that of late as I can share something with her rather than it be all about what I want.

The way I see it, it's fantastic when your other half respects what you love even if they don't understand it or dislike it, but it's even better when they also can share an interest in doing something with you as they like to know they can enjoy being with you without fighting for attention.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2011, 12:33 PM   #55
Carrie On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
I'm in the same boat as these blokes.
I'm self employed, work from home and business is obviously a little quiter than usual right now. She's the main bread winner and still raking the $$ in.
I still get to play with the toys as I please, $$ permitting.
She's up early very morning for work, I'm in bed a little longer.
On the weekend, I'm up first, she then gets up and makes breakfast.
She cooks, cleans, and pretty much looks after the household.
I mow the lawn.

We have 3.5 cars, and 4 motorbikes, and 2 dirtbikes.

We met at Eastern Creek on a motorbike track day, she was there with her Ducati, as was I.
Early in the piece it was discovered neither of us want kids. We got married shortly after. Our celebrant wedding cost $180.
It's been 13 years since we met and things are still rosy.

I think I hit the jackpot.
I feel sorry for the lads who haven't though.
You sir may well be the luckiest bloke that ever lived. good on ya.
Carrie On is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2011, 12:43 PM   #56
MGGT RAA
AUII XR8, BA XR8 290 UTE

My mrs car is faster than mine LOL
Old 05-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #57
TZENU
XY Driv3r

My Mrs made sure that I had the car resprayed and interior redone for our wedding....

I took her to Heathcote for the AFF nats and after finishing the solo out on the pad, she she wanted to see more.. When I told her that the engine is tired and that I shouldn't push my luck, her response was you break it we fix it.....!
Old 05-09-2011, 12:51 PM   #58
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
My Mrs made sure that I had the car resprayed and interior redone for our wedding....

I took her to Heathcote for the AFF nats and after finishing the solo out on the pad, she she wanted to see more.. When I told her that the engine is tired and that I shouldn't push my luck, her response was you break it we fix it.....!
Well, go and break it ya girl. lol
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2011, 12:54 PM   #59
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie On
You sir may well be the luckiest bloke that ever lived. good on ya.
Thanks mate, I certainly don't have a lot to complain about.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:15 PM   #60
LANKY 1
Are the Supercars on yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuddy200
What Missus? LOL

Spending too much money and time on my car to worry about finding one of them!

Oh well, means more to spend on the car that should eventually impress one of them, yeah?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nipper575
I guess my car has always been my missus, haha. (Yeah, that's ****in sad).
Yeah ditto

V8 dreamteam
1st: 2012, 2021
2nd: 2015, 2016, 2020, 2022, 2023
3rd: 2014, 2018, 2019
LANKY 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post