Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-03-2006, 09:53 AM   #31
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Best idea is either shop around for an 05 or earlier plated kit which someone has started but not finished (there are a few around) or just buy one that's finished and mod it to suit your needs.
Euro 3 has killed the kit car market for most engines unless you fit a new euro 3 BOSS motor, there isnt a wheezor made that will pass euro 3 so that motor isnt a consideration.

Old 07-03-2006, 06:27 PM   #32
nb_351
building the xe...

would be a bit oddball... but go for the ba turbo 6.. i know everyone is probably thinking the same thing, that its not a traditional cobra if it has a 6... but who cares... dare to be different... would cost a pretty penny to get a motor and box though... could buy a turbo kit for an au 6 and whack that in, but then theres emissions... pain in the a**...
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 07:17 PM   #33
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

I fitted a 1992 1 UZFE to a 1989 Hilux. Since I used the std ECU and fitted a cat convertor there was no need for emissions testing. If an engine is released in a car that is compliant my understanding is that as long as you have the same pollution controls in the Cobra you will be fine.

My 2 c's worth - Twin Turbo 1 UZ- FE on LPG.

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 10:01 PM   #34
cedric
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i've looked into them a bit to i was told QLD was not as strict as NSW and i think NT would probably be alright too ,NSW definately 2006 complience. BUT i don't know why or how but hotrods can get away with heaps less emisions . i dont know if you would be considered a hotrod but definately worth checking because i now you can get FULL rego in QLD with carby and only a charcol canister and i am pretty sure that its the same AUST over. contact the aust. hotrod federation (something like that)
cedric is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 10:30 PM   #35
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedric
i've looked into them a bit to i was told QLD was not as strict as NSW and i think NT would probably be alright too ,NSW definately 2006 complience. BUT i don't know why or how but hotrods can get away with heaps less emisions . i dont know if you would be considered a hotrod but definately worth checking because i now you can get FULL rego in QLD with carby and only a charcol canister and i am pretty sure that its the same AUST over. contact the aust. hotrod federation (something like that)
A hot rod is an actual car that;s been modified where as a kit car is seen as a brand new car.

You can't put a carby engine in a fuel injected car but you can put a fuel injected engine in a carby car but it needs to pass emissions for the year of the engine (Pretty sure thats how it work's).
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 11:51 PM   #36
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Outbackjack have you asked the NT rego mob what their rules are?
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2006, 12:18 PM   #37
cedric
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
A hot rod is an actual car that;s been modified where as a kit car is seen as a brand new car.

You can't put a carby engine in a fuel injected car but you can put a fuel injected engine in a carby car but it needs to pass emissions for the year of the engine (Pretty sure thats how it work's).
a box steel chassis, fiberglass bodied 1932 coupe is the same as a box steel chassis, fiberglass bodied 1965 ac cobra
cedric is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2006, 01:33 PM   #38
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedric
a box steel chassis, fiberglass bodied 1932 coupe is the same as a box steel chassis, fiberglass bodied 1965 ac cobra
Not according to the inspections being a "reproduction" of the 32 with mods , still needs to run the emmision stuff that came with the motor normally so lots of builders are going injected and a cat which is better for rego ,I am in formed in Qld a current std of emmision gear with the motor when built , in the NT its going to need some checking but I know lpg sails through with ease
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2006, 07:26 PM   #39
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

O.K. jack I asked My M8 Rob Who has a cobra .
he told me to tell you to get a kit from D.B.R. OR D.R.B. (1 of them 2 i forgot witch he said) They are in Melbourne and they sell a heap of kits even now at a lot of the cobra days .
I was told that a few of them run the Lexus motors in them
and that a lot of the guys have there car reg as a "Hot Rod"
Robs car is made a kit from Roberson ($130k) his car Body is kevlar they dont make them at the moment as they are still trying to pass the new A.D.R.s when they do they will start there kits again .
I was told to tell you to find a kit and that is all your options are for a Motor / G'box ..
So if you want a motor of your choise then you better look around for diffrent Body shapes.
That said there is a company 1 hr from me that has just Bought the plans to a few diffrent body styles will be up and running very soon .
and try Cobra.com.au you will find every thing you need on there web site and news letters.. this month is Exhaust mods for your cobra ..
trick_xd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2006, 09:15 PM   #40
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb_351
would be a bit oddball... but go for the ba turbo 6.. i know everyone is probably thinking the same thing, that its not a traditional cobra if it has a 6... but who cares... dare to be different... would cost a pretty penny to get a motor and box though... could buy a turbo kit for an au 6 and whack that in, but then theres emissions... pain in the a**...
I sincerely doubt the BA motor would fit under a Cobra bonnet, especially given the fact that JETXR (?), the EF/EL with the BAXR6T motor has a hole in the bonnet to clear the cam cover....
Old 08-03-2006, 09:17 PM   #41
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammaboy
I sincerely doubt the BA motor would fit under a Cobra bonnet, especially given the fact that JETXR (?), the EF/EL with the BAXR6T motor has a hole in the bonnet to clear the cam cover....
One's alreay been done, i belive it needed the front mount t/body to fit the engine in.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2006, 10:37 PM   #42
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
Outbackjack have you asked the NT rego mob what their rules are?
Hi, NT MVR attitude is "we stick with the federal regulations as closely as possible" It is looking like a euro 3 motor as stock as possible. I want this car to be a daily driver. I could probably get it through on club rego, but there is no way that I want to be restricted to the 400K a year limitation that brings. As far as motors go... The jury is still out. I need some concrete evidence on this before I move ahead.
Cheers all.
Outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post