Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #61
BroadyFord

Default Re: Holden cuts off communication with Federal Government

Quote:
Originally Posted by fte50 View Post
So does your 3-4 week predicted announcement now happen 3-4 months or 3-4yrs ??
Based on all the facts before this article plus what Labor were saying, it appeared a December announcement was inevitable.

For the record I DON'T want GMH to shut down!
BroadyFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #62
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Take note at the bottom of the article that Ford have given 3 yrs notice of its closure to its employees......Holdens notice will be much less for theres!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #63
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

Although reports look grim, hopefully closure wont happen. The industry is so volatile its hard to speculate and just like Melbourne weather can see a series of patterns in 1 season.
3yrs notice is long but gives good pre-warning, at this major level though Holden just like any responsible corporate should give suppliers enough notice to ensure they have the lead time to restructure their business model to remain viable - although many wont survive, there will be some that can restructure or move into new ventures and stay afloat.

Warning - This users posts are classified (G).

G (General) – Contains material intended for general viewing. The content is very mild in impact.
IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED SENSITIVE ADULTS VIEW IN THE COMPANY OF CHILDREN
fte50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #64
BroadyFord

Even before Ford announced closure, the writing was on the wall more clearly given the fact they had not approached parts suppliers for new contracts post the next-gen Falcon.

Holden on the other hand have a stated plan beyond the life of the current VF which is awaiting the go-ahead pending the government's decision.
Old 19-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #65
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

Correct, next series modelling/development has begun. Having said that it don't mean closure cant happen though, but they must be proactive and have a plan to believe in a future should they be given a life line.

G (General) – Contains material intended for general viewing. The content is very mild in impact.
Old 19-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #66
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadyFord View Post
Even before Ford announced closure, the writing was on the wall more clearly given the fact they had not approached parts suppliers for new contracts post the next-gen Falcon.

Holden on the other hand have a stated plan beyond the life of the current VF which is awaiting the go-ahead pending the government's decision.
In other words waiting for more tax payers bailouts!
Old 19-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #67
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6 View Post
In other words waiting for more tax payers bailouts!
They're not bailouts ffs,
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 19-11-2013, 10:34 PM   #68
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Well it is still tax payers money to help them keep goin.
Old 19-11-2013, 10:44 PM   #69
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
the amount of money the gov get for its outlay, I wish my bank paid dividends that handsomely.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 19-11-2013, 10:54 PM   #70
nstg8a

if Holden actually manage to surprise everyone, including myself, and stay manufacturing I'd almost jump ship instead of buying a fh.
Old 19-11-2013, 10:56 PM   #71
BroadyFord

Slightly off topic, but I just had a look at the submissions for the Prod Comm's review - 2 in support of the industry and 2 against.
Old 19-11-2013, 11:21 PM   #72
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
If that's your view, you might find this eye opening:

"However, as Kim Carr noted recently, the industry, cumulatively, received subsidies amounting to less than $18 per person over the last decade. So it cost you, the long-suffering Australian taxpayer, the princely sum of $1.80 per annum to prevent the collapse of plants like Elizabeth, Fishermans Bend, Altona, Geelong and Broadmeadows."

"You — yes, you — subsidise the banks to the tune of $763 per annum, plus all the fees and charges they generously impose upon you. Not quite the chunk of change ($83 billion) the US government affords its banks in subsidies, but still.

And the mining industry doesn’t have clean hands either. They get at least $4 billion per annum. Queensland alone spends $1.4 billion in subsidies.

Let’s be clear about this: virtually every industry in Australia is subsidised, directly or indirectly, via government hand-outs.

We’ll try a little quiz first. Tick any box that applies to you:

Your child care.

Your private (and public) health insurance.

Your wheat. (The Australian Wheat Board runs a single desk that avoids a genuinely free market in wheat export sales. And does deals with the late-lamented Saddam, occasionally.)

Your private schools.

Your universities.

Your accountant.

Your private-sector big law firm, which would require oxygen if starved of government contracts. A Victorian government-commissioned report (by Boston Consulting) notes that, “up until now the provision of legal services has largely been an unsupervised feeding trough for law firms.” (It’s now a supervised feeding trough.)

Your National Broadband Network. (My telecoms engineering friends are still giggling with delight at the mere thought of the NBN and have all ordered new 7-Series BMWs.)

Your first home.

Your nursing home.

Your negative gearing.

Your ABC.

My salary.

Your salary.

Your superannuation tax breaks.

Actors and the arts in general (don’t me get started; I’ll end up sounding like Jack Hibberd)."
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 19-11-2013, 11:59 PM   #73
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
if Holden actually manage to surprise everyone, including myself, and stay manufacturing I'd almost jump ship instead of buying a fh.
And that (unfortunately), is the difference between a Ford fan and a Holden fan. I can't imagine the Holden fans giving this support to Ford if it were the other way round. But, alas, we have a number of people masquerading as Ford fans supporting the other team. Me? I make no apologies for being a one-eyed Ford fan. Same as a football team that I support. Each to their own, I guess.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2013, 12:16 AM   #74
BHDOGS
Banned

big call p6 that makes u a ford fan not a car enthusiast and as you know being a car enthusiast is apparently better then being a ford fan why i dont know just ask the people who think we give a **** that they dont like that we dont like holdens.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2013, 12:30 AM   #75
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by P6LTD351 View Post
And that (unfortunately), is the difference between a Ford fan and a Holden fan. I can't imagine the Holden fans giving this support to Ford if it were the other way round. But, alas, we have a number of people masquerading as Ford fans supporting the other team. Me? I make no apologies for being a one-eyed Ford fan. Same as a football team that I support. Each to their own, I guess.
It stopped being ford vs Holden a long time ago...
So come 2016, I manage to get the funds together to buy maybe the only brand new car il ever buy and I want a v8 ute.
If ford aren't making them am I just supposed to give up on what I want?

I don't expect anyone to apologise for being one eyed, nothing wrong with brand loyalty.
As for masquerading as a ford fan? Go and **** yourself. I've owned pretty much every model of falcon except for b series, and pre xw.
I love my falcons, but I'm not blind to other brands either.
5 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2013, 12:32 AM   #76
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes each to their own. Some can see that you are comparing two American car companies and pledging some kind of allegiance to one multinational over another. The bigger picture story is one is quitting production in 2016 and one might keep going a few years more. One walked away and one is trying to survive. As an Australian I know which American car company I will support if it sticks around a bit longer and keeps Australians in jobs for at least a few more years.

I have no interest in football and they have even less to do with what car I drive.

So far I have bought seven new Australian built Fords and just got my first Australian built Holden. The common theme in that last sentence isn't the brand.

Each to his own as you say.

Last edited by DanielXR8; 20-11-2013 at 12:37 AM.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2013, 12:33 AM   #77
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

Quote:
Bet you would swap your P6LTD for a HT GTS Monaro in a flash .... yeah don't admit it but we all know the answer. One eyed my harse.

Old 20-11-2013, 12:37 AM   #78
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
So come 2016, I manage to get the funds together to buy maybe the only brand new car il ever buy and I want a v8 ute.

I don't expect anyone to apologise for being one eyed, nothing wrong with brand loyalty.
As for masquerading as a ford fan? Go and **** yourself. I've owned pretty much every model of falcon except for b series, and pre xw.
But that's my point. You are prepared to jump teams. I just don't think as many Holden fans would feel the same. A true Ford fan could not buy a new Holden. You're a car fan, or V8 ute fan. Fair enough. I'd love a 2 door modern coupe. I could buy a second hand Monaro - but I won't. And telling me to go **** myself was a bit much.
Old 20-11-2013, 12:39 AM   #79
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Bet you would swap your P6LTD for a HT GTS Monaro in a flash .... yeah don't admit it but we all know the answer. One eyed my harse.
No I would not. And that's the truth. But you don't need to believe me. I have enough cash to buy any car south of $200 000. I don't choose to spend my money that way.
Old 20-11-2013, 12:49 AM   #80
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

A true Ford fan could not buy a new Holden - would you seriously not enjoy driving a new SS type sedan over your fleet of cars in signature..... I don't mean this with disrespect, but just seriously ???

Its like a 1 eyed bogan waffling on the other way around - "Nah mate, never give up my HQ Belmont to drive in an FG"...... p1ss off.

This aint about teams, while we have brand preference based on emotion we do acknowledge and respect whats nice is nice.
Im a Ford nut, like some Holdens from my youthful memories, think the current V series HSV are cracker, love my Mopars and absolutely adore Alfa's.
Yes im a 1 eyed ford lover whos eyes wander.

Last edited by fte50; 20-11-2013 at 12:54 AM.
3 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2013, 01:01 AM   #81
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
A true Ford fan could not buy a new Holden - would you seriously not enjoy driving a new SS type sedan over your fleet of cars in signature..... I don't mean this with disrespect, but just seriously ???

Its like a 1 eyed bogan waffling on the other way around - "Nah mate, never give up my HQ Belmont to drive in an FG"...... p1ss off.

This aint about teams, while we have brand preference based on emotion we do acknowledge and respect whats nice is nice.
Im a Ford nut, like some Holdens from my youthful memories, think the current V series HSV are cracker, love my Mopars and absolutely adore Alfa's.
Yes im a 1 eyed ford lover whos eyes wander.
Sure I'd drive it. But i wouldn't own it. And those cars in my sig have special sentimental meaning to me. I don't care how fast a car goes. I'm a different kind of enthusiast. But as I said; each to their own.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2013, 08:10 AM   #82
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Why do you have to have a V8....Why not Buy an F6 ute...Just as fast!
Old 20-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #83
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Why do you have to have a V8....Why not Buy an F6 ute...Just as fast!
What's speed got to do with it? if speed was the overriding factor I wouldn't be buying either a Falcon or Commodore.....

Some of us just prefer a V8, why's that so hard to understand.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #84
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS View Post
I thought ford where keeping the r and d development here in oz for other cars around the world after the factorys gone
Ford are. In terms of R&D Falcon /Terri are now that annoying thing that they do. Ford Oz (in terms of R&D) set themselves up back in 02.

Holden on the other hand really don't have much here if Commodore is gone.
Old 20-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #85
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
maybe they are not bail outs, BUT, they ask for money and get it then a little while down the track ask for more.............. it looks like a bail out !
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #86
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
maybe they are not bail outs, BUT, they ask for money and get it then a little while down the track ask for more.............. it looks like a bail out !
I think the media are big on labelling them bailouts, however I know in some situations, they are granted assistance through concessions - but I am not 100% sure on how this all works - nor could i put any figures on it.

Previously the government would provide credits which could be used to offset against a purchase. I am sure there is some money provided, but there is usually conditions associated with money (as with the credits or any other form of assistance)

So Holden may have asked for money OR some other form of assistance

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #87
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
What's speed got to do with it? if speed was the overriding factor I wouldn't be buying either a Falcon or Commodore.....

Some of us just prefer a V8, why's that so hard to understand.....
Point is he could still own a Ford instead of crossing to the dark side.

Last edited by GASWAGON; 20-11-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 20-11-2013, 08:00 PM   #88
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Point is he could still own a Ford!
why should he compromise?
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #89
nstg8a

Point is, I like v8s. I spend most of my commute in city traffic, my average speed according to the trip computer is 38kmh... Yes a turbo 6 is faster, cheaper to run, and register.
But I like it when I'm just dawdling along in traffic and I can just hear that v8 burbling away... You don't get that with a 6.

Each to their own, I have nothing but respect for the boosted 6s, hell they used to hand my fg xr8 its *** quite regularly. You know what? I didn't care....

Now I'm driving an au fairlane v8. Sounds like its got 500 hp, goes like its got 150hp. And I love it.

All going to plan come 2015 I will be buying a new car. I'd hope its a new fh falcon. Could well be all I can afford is povo pack xt. Who knows.
But I know damn sure that il be looking at every option at the time. It's simply foolish to be looking to drop 30-40k on a car, and locking yourself into one brand purely based on a badge.
Old 20-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #90
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Point is he could still own a Ford instead of crossing to the dark side.

God help someone that they buy what they want to buy!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post