Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 28-11-2008, 04:06 PM   #61
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazarr
Not only does it take more effort... catching criminals is a revenue sink hole.
Catching motorists doing 3km/h over the limit not only takes NO effort once the camera is installed, it is a revenue bonanza.... hmm.. I wonder why they keep putting in more cameras?

I think the real issue, as has already been picked up on earlier in the thread, this new camera design is more accurate... so they're acknowledging existing cameras may not be accurate - yet the government (in particular Vic, with their 3km/h "tolerance") is happy to collect hundreds of millions of dollars per annum.... there should be outrage.
It's a tough one.
Although they claim these new camera's are more accurate, how can people proove existing camera's are not accurate and are, in fact, booking you for something you didn't do without a costly session in court?
Old 28-11-2008, 04:21 PM   #62
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXR6
It's a tough one.
Although they claim these new camera's are more accurate, how can people proove existing camera's are not accurate and are, in fact, booking you for something you didn't do without a costly session in court?
It's a lost cause, in my opinion. Unless the case is a blatantly obvious one - think I remember a story a few years ago... a Datsun I think it was, supposedly clocked on the Western Ring Rd doing 180 something... the woman won the case because she proved her car couldn't even get to that speed... and that sparked the whole investigation, and turning the cameras off etc.

And it is for this exact reason that the courts will never allow a borderline case to go in favour of the defendant (despite the concept of innocent until proven guilty)... it will bring the entire house of cards crashing down, with the government having to switch off/disable cameras, refund fines, etc. etc.
Old 28-11-2008, 06:36 PM   #63
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazarr
It's a lost cause, in my opinion. Unless the case is a blatantly obvious one - think I remember a story a few years ago... a Datsun I think it was, supposedly clocked on the Western Ring Rd doing 180 something... the woman won the case because she proved her car couldn't even get to that speed... and that sparked the whole investigation, and turning the cameras off etc.
Yeah i remember that one it was a Datsun 120y, they gave it to some expert to flog it on a race track. One of the current affair programs covered it.
"When you push a car past 180mph, the world starts to get awfully fuzzy. When you go past 200mph it actually blurs. The Bugatti Veyron is mind-blowingly, stunningly brilliant. It deserves 12 stars. Simply as good and as fast as it gets"
Don't drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
Old 28-11-2008, 06:36 PM   #64
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

is the more accurate thing, not just the fact that they can get any car no matter what lane. i do not believe that they are suggesting that all of the old cameras were not functioning properly. sure some were, but i have never been pinged for what i have not done

in the early days, if two cars were in the photo and one was speeding - both were let off. i am sure that if travelling beside a truck for instance and you are hidden from the car with the camera installed, you would not have been caught. maybe the accuracy suggestion is that they have more ways to catch the individual who is speeding now

still, we all know the rules before we go out so there is no point in complaining about them. it would be nicer if they put the revenue into road safety but that will never happen. if you do not speed, you do not pay. unfortunately i have been known to be less smart than others and roll the dice more than i should. fortunately most are so easy to see i haven't lost many times at all
Old 28-11-2008, 06:54 PM   #65
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
still, we all know the rules before we go out so there is no point in complaining about them ..............
Gary, I think thats the problem .... no one really complains about them in Vic. Everyone accepts what is being drummed into them that a momentary lapse, speedo wise, no matter how much is being concentrated on the road at front and sides, from above and below, an extremely minimal oversight speed wise is bad ...... mmmkay! Most winge and wine about their existence but then go 'Oh well ..... baaahh"

21,000 in one month on Eastlink ... 80% under Wellington road. 85% LESS than 110. No accidents with in 15 km's of it each way since its been open. Is this a black spot and who is it saving? Catch the twits going 115 or what ever but just be realistic on what a 'safety camera' is suppose to acheive.

OH I forgot to add ..... that was about $3,500,000 in fines by one camera in one month. Do you think they want to remove it? No because its saving lives .... those 21,000 people apparently didnt crash and burn doing 108k/h because they had a fine sent to them 2 weeks after the event so ..... phew!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Auslandau; 28-11-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 28-11-2008, 07:30 PM   #66
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

i have never suggested that they are not revenue raisers. i could accept them more if the revenue went into road safety

the fact is they are there. we all knew about them being on eastlink and yet so many still got pinged. they are a part of our life whether they are fair or not. they are another obstacle that we must navigate around/past - just like a child running out in front of the car or a drunk stumbling into your path. at least with speed cameras we know pretty much where they are

i do not necessary like them, but i blame myself when i get pinged, not the government

i believe they help contribute to road trauma because we know where they are and therefore drive past them slowly. with less police presence, some go absolutely crazy as soon as they are out of the speed camera zone. this may sound crazy, but why else does there seem to be so many more stupid, single vehicle accidents or dual vehicle accidents when both cars are headed the same way over the last couple of years

once again, i do not like them, but if i am caught - i am the stupid one
Old 28-11-2008, 07:33 PM   #67
XRQTR
TBA Customs

With regard to destruction of cameras aren't they after all "public property"??

We are "the public" therefore they belong to us, and like anything we own and don't like we get rid of it.

I really don't see a problem nor any reason for the government regarding prosecution.

As to the speeding, sure ye it's our responsibilty, and guess what even the government helps us to guage our speed with the "handy speed display signs" at selected locations around major Vic highways.These include Geelong in the Melbourne bound lanes, Wollert/Beveradge in the Sydney bound lanes, Gisborne - Melb bound, Ballan - Ballarat bound, Albury - Melb bound and maybe a few more I don't know of or forgot............. Oh wait these often show your detected speed at or around 3-4km/h less than what your speedo might be reading, hmm I wonder who they are helping if people think there speedos are showing 100 but they are only doing 96 according to an accurate government supplied device.

That's why so many people get caught doing only 2-3k's over, because everyone thinks there speedos are showing up to 4k's more than the actual speed so they bump it up to compensate.

Chew over that one for a little while
Old 28-11-2008, 07:34 PM   #68
mikestp
EF Ghia

This is very good news,
more of this and we will be on a level playing field
Old 29-11-2008, 12:26 AM   #69
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

In Europe if there's a black spot.. They go all out to fix the road and anything that might cause another crash..
There is almost a Royal commission in every major accident ...
Also other things like certain tyres are only allowed to be fitted on cars there, in the BMW hand book it says what tyres must be fitted to be legal..
But there's sfa money to be made going down that route..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Old 29-11-2008, 12:28 AM   #70
Bobman
Regulator

Now we've got these pathetic campaigns about "We'll catch you before someone gets hurt". Ah, yeah right. With WHAT police resources? Hardly any on the road anyway.

Funny how we have more cameras than ever in Victoria, yet the road toll has about 20 more deaths then at this time last year.

They sure work eh.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Old 29-11-2008, 12:36 AM   #71
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
They sure work eh.
I'm sure they do work... to raise revenue.

I wouldn't have such a problem with the cameras if they had a decent tolerance... say 10-15%, but of course, that wouldn't be safe now, would it?
Old 29-11-2008, 12:44 AM   #72
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTR
With regard to destruction of cameras aren't they after all "public property"??

We are "the public" therefore they belong to us, and like anything we own and don't like we get rid of it.

I really don't see a problem nor any reason for the government regarding prosecution.

As to the speeding, sure ye it's our responsibilty, and guess what even the government helps us to guage our speed with the "handy speed display signs" at selected locations around major Vic highways.These include Geelong in the Melbourne bound lanes, Wollert/Beveradge in the Sydney bound lanes, Gisborne - Melb bound, Ballan - Ballarat bound, Albury - Melb bound and maybe a few more I don't know of or forgot............. Oh wait these often show your detected speed at or around 3-4km/h less than what your speedo might be reading, hmm I wonder who they are helping if people think there speedos are showing 100 but they are only doing 96 according to an accurate government supplied device.

That's why so many people get caught doing only 2-3k's over, because everyone thinks there speedos are showing up to 4k's more than the actual speed so they bump it up to compensate.

Chew over that one for a little while
Not to mention I can't get the Gisborne - Melbourne one to show up a reading AT ALL for either of my parents cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Old 29-11-2008, 01:29 AM   #73
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like a "heartless vandal" has struck again, because I don't think that pole was there when I drove past tonight.
Old 29-11-2008, 01:52 PM   #74
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Something to ponder about speed camera's, demerit points, etc, etc, etc.

Current road toll as at 29-11-08..... 71

The road toll for the Northern Territory for 2008 to 29 November is now 71,

The road toll for the Northern Territory for 2007 to 29 November was 45,

The road toll for the Northern Territory for 2006 to 29 November was 37.

Open Speed Limits = 37,
130k Speed Limit = 70!

2006 was the last year of derestricted highways.

Go figure.... :
Old 29-11-2008, 06:17 PM   #75
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
Something to ponder about speed camera's, demerit points, etc, etc, etc.

Current road toll as at 29-11-08..... 71

The road toll for the Northern Territory for 2008 to 29 November is now 71,

The road toll for the Northern Territory for 2007 to 29 November was 45,

The road toll for the Northern Territory for 2006 to 29 November was 37.

Open Speed Limits = 37,
130k Speed Limit = 70!

2006 was the last year of derestricted highways.

Go figure.... :
so why doesnt someone use this as proof that lowering the speed limit has actually killed more people?
doesnt that actually prove negligence on the governments behalf? surely?
Old 29-11-2008, 06:23 PM   #76
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd_on20s
so why doesnt someone use this as proof that lowering the speed limit has actually killed more people?
doesnt that actually prove negligence on the governments behalf? surely?
How on earth has lowering the speed limit killed more people????

Old 29-11-2008, 06:27 PM   #77
azaxr8

Going slower is safer to the government, But going at a speed slower then open reduces awareness, Longer distances travelling and higher risk of fatigue.!
Old 29-11-2008, 06:31 PM   #78
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaxr8
Going slower is safer to the government, But going at a speed slower then open reduces awareness, Longer distances travelling and higher risk of fatigue.!
Isnt it driver responsibility to pull over if you're fatigued?
What if those extra people killed were travelling well above the legal limit??
Then there goes that theory...
Unless you knew the reasons behind the fatalities your'e drawing a very long bow to suggest the slower speed is more dangerous...

Old 29-11-2008, 06:37 PM   #79
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

So the figure quoted include passengers as well, so that could inflate the figures

Every 2hr's
Stop-Revive-Survive
"When you push a car past 180mph, the world starts to get awfully fuzzy. When you go past 200mph it actually blurs. The Bugatti Veyron is mind-blowingly, stunningly brilliant. It deserves 12 stars. Simply as good and as fast as it gets"
Don't drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
Old 29-11-2008, 06:59 PM   #80
burnz
VFII SS UTE

i have nothing to say
http://www.speedcam.co.uk/gatso2.htm
Old 29-11-2008, 07:00 PM   #81
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

Comment removed.

Last edited by eb_5litre; 29-11-2008 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Not worth arguing with theperfect moral brigade.
Old 29-11-2008, 07:03 PM   #82
predator_230
Fairmont GXL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
How on earth has lowering the speed limit killed more people????
They had less fatalities before the Government capped open speed limits, It ain't rocket science to figure that out.
So basically they've gone ahead and made it "Safer" on the roads by putting in a 130k limit, of course this has proven to be safer how exactly? By increasing the road toll? Kinda like fixing something that didn't need fixing don't you think? Tools...........
Old 29-11-2008, 07:14 PM   #83
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Isnt it driver responsibility to pull over if you're fatigued?
What if those extra people killed were travelling well above the legal limit??
Then there goes that theory...
Unless you knew the reasons behind the fatalities your'e drawing a very long bow to suggest the slower speed is more dangerous...
But if it was the other way around and the figures were down after the speed restrictions, who would be spurting that the restrictions are a great success? Answer is more restrictions becaue they then worked.

The higher the figure though the more restrictions and higher the fines because it then appears the g'ment is doing the right thing ........ If the figures ever go down .... more restrictions and higher fines because they are working. Win win for the g'ments. Its a great tax and the bean counters are jumping with excitement ..... thats all it is and if anyone beleives otherwise ..... you've been had.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 29-11-2008, 07:14 PM   #84
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator_230
They had less fatalities before the Government capped open speed limits, It ain't rocket science to figure that out.
So basically they've gone ahead and made it "Safer" on the roads by putting in a 130k limit, of course this has proven to be safer how exactly? By increasing the road toll? Kinda like fixing something that didn't need fixing don't you think? Tools...........
The point im making is the 2 might be totally mutually exclusive events though...
Dont just assume one is causing the other, like i said earlier, what if those extra lives were lost while they were doing over 130kph...?. What if they were on short destination trips???

Old 29-11-2008, 07:27 PM   #85
predator_230
Fairmont GXL

Quote:
The point im making is the 2 might be totally mutually exclusive events though...
Dont just assume one is causing the other, like i said earlier, what if those extra lives were lost while they were doing over 130kph...?. What if they were on short destination trips???
Doing over 130k's is something they never had to worry about in the first place right up until the government capped the open speed limit which is the point im trying to make.
Anyway as Auslandau wrote, its a win win for the government which ever way they look at it.
Old 29-11-2008, 07:28 PM   #86
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Hi 4V - how are ya mate?

Was going to wade into this and have a(nother) tussle with you, but I can't be bothered atm.

I'll check back tomorrow and see how things have progressed, and if the thread needs an injection of debate - you'll hear from me...

tex

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 29-11-2008, 07:31 PM   #87
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
Hi 4V - how are ya mate?

Was going to wade into this and have a(nother) tussle with you, but I can't be bothered atm.

I'll check back tomorrow and see how things have progressed, and if the thread needs an injection of debate - you'll hear from me...

tex
Go on! you know you want to!!!

Old 29-11-2008, 07:37 PM   #88
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator_230
Doing over 130k's is something they never had to worry about in the first place right up until the government capped the open speed limit which is the point im trying to make.
Anyway as Auslandau wrote, its a win win for the government which ever way they look at it.
What you're trying to say is FATIGUE on a long trip extended by speed limitation is what killed the "extra" people.. all im saying is i havent seen anything to support that idea... e.g: what % of those "extra deaths" were fatigue related? if any?
Im not even going to begin to buy into the whole govt/fund raising debate which is a totally seperate issue...

Old 29-11-2008, 08:30 PM   #89
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Obviously there is a possibility that it is just a statistical anomaly, but if that is ruled out you will have the Government handing out it's cooked figures supporting the restrictions, the Opposition handing out it's cooked figures to go against the restriction, and life goes on.
Old 29-11-2008, 08:55 PM   #90
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Instead of lowering speed limits in this country where there are vast distances to cover why don't the gov't take a look at europe and in particular germany and build roads that are safe to travel on at 150-200 klicks? If you could cover 300km in just 1.5 hrs you wouldn't get fatigued. dunno about you but at 200 klicks I'm not really interested in what cd is in and infact very much focused on what I'm doing, infact less likely to de destracted by anything and have an accident. I have driven in the territory and can see the value in unrestricted speeds on their country hwy's why dawdle along at 100 when your car is capable of so much more and the time on the road is less because of higher speeds reducing the risk of fatigue related accidents and accidents caused by being distracted. Bring on the autobarn I say.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
Closed Thread