Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-10-2007, 09:53 AM   #61
autolover08

I think they should keep the mondeo name imo, although Ford AUS will want to market this new car very well in order to maximise what the mondeo could do for Ford AUS.
Apparently the XR5 mondeo has 4kw less power than the focus XR5, i wonder why? same with the diesel?
I've also heard rumours that Ford will eventually fit a new 2.2 turbo diesel to the mondeo in a future upgrade.
Has me confused however that the new Mazda 6 has the new 2.5 inline 4cyl but the mondeo doesn't?
Either way the mondeo seems to be a class leader when put head to head with the camry and thats the important model to beat in this segment, i also wonder if Ford will keep mondeo more exclusive like accord euro and 6 or slut it out to the fleets like Toyota does with camry.
autolover08 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2007, 01:38 PM   #62
Sloth

Dang, the clowns at Ford NZ didn't include the XR5T in our line up!
Though we do get the wagon and a 5spd manual in all models but Zetec.
Old 13-10-2007, 02:16 PM   #63
Sloth

I just noticed that none of the cars in that press photo have the projector/xenon headlamps. The Ghia and Tianium models in the UK (the closest thing to the XR5T) have them so I would have thought the XR5T would get them.

Last edited by Sloth; 13-10-2007 at 02:21 PM.
Sloth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2007, 03:19 PM   #64
Deanodriver

Oh, on the size of the Mondeo, here's a comparison I did earlier:

Comparing dimensions of the Falcon sedan vs the Mondeo sedan and hatch (if sedan and hatch aren't specified, same for both), and the Commodore for comparison:

Length: Falcon 4916mm, Mondeo sedan 4844mm, Mondeo hatch 4778mm, Commodore 4894mm
Width (excluding mirrors): Falcon 1864mm, Mondeo 1886mm, Commodore 1899mm
Height: Falcon 1444mm, Mondeo 1500mm, Commodore 1476mm
Wheelbase: Falcon 2829mm, Mondeo 2850mm, Commodore 2915mm
Front track: Falcon 1553mm, Mondeo 1579mm (for Zetec, 10mm wider for LX), Commodore 1602mm
Rear track: Falcon 1571mm, Mondeo 1595mm, Commodore 1618mm
Weight: Falcon XT 1694kg, Mondeo LX 1537kg, Commodore Omega 1690kg

Falcon & Commodore stats are from Redbook, Mondeo ones from Ford website.

Once you look into it, the car's not much smaller than a Falcon, in fact, it's larger than the Falcon in many key areas.
Old 13-10-2007, 09:23 PM   #65
Bossxr8
Peter Car

A few rival companies have been shocked by the price, I bet Holden are seething after they claimed it would be too expensive and wouldn't sell, they will have egg on their arrogant faces now.

It also seems like Ford have kept the higher priced, top of the range models out of the range to avoid stepping on Falcons toes. There's no Ghia/Titanium version like in Europe, maybe i'm wrong and its renamed the XR5 but it seems like some of the luxury items are missing, like radar cruise control, electronically adjustable suspension etc.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2007, 08:46 PM   #66
Sloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
It also seems like Ford have kept the higher priced, top of the range models out of the range to avoid stepping on Falcons toes. There's no Ghia/Titanium version like in Europe, maybe i'm wrong and its renamed the XR5 but it seems like some of the luxury items are missing, like radar cruise control, electronically adjustable suspension etc.
I reckon you are spot on. The I5 Turbo motor is only available in the Ghia and Titanium models and they are around the 20,000 pound mark. Thats pretty dear so some of the expensive gear has been ditched to keep cost down and so that it doesn't out shine Orion in terms or Equipment. Also as far as I know, the body kit on the XR5 is the sports body kit, only available as an option, so thats been chucked on too. (The pics I posted 2 posts back are the Ghia/Titanium) So Ford Aus have essentially created their own special model.
Old 14-10-2007, 09:30 PM   #67
ardei
WP Fiesta LX

I've already posted in here, but now I've seen the range at the motorshow and I'm impressed!

There really are only 2 reasons you'd buy a Falcon over this:
1) V8
2) I6 Turbo

This thing is huge inside! At least as big as a Magna, if not bigger. It's got the width of the Falcon, but perhaps just a cm or two short on legroom. It's fantastic. Quality is miles ahead of the current Falcon (here's to hoping the Orion steps up the ballgame). Styling is great too, I reckon I was more fond of the Zetec in Red than the XR5 but both are good. The manual shift in the XR5 feels great, as I said before - shame it's not on every model. The price is just right. I was actually commenting to my friend, these will be the next 'Mazda 6.' At first, anyone who has one would be really exclusive, but give it a few years and everyone will have one (with good reason too!). The quality will still be there, just the exclusivity won't be.

Congrats to Ford with their current line up of cars, and here's to looking at the future.
Old 14-10-2007, 09:33 PM   #68
blaqxr6

That is the most effeminate front styling i have ever seen......forget it Ford....another dud. The Jap cars are going to cream this.

Whoever has done the styling on this thing should be shot.

It'll be a disaster...GUARANTEED.
blaqxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2007, 10:14 PM   #69
Dilan

I personally don't think it is a disaster. But if the new Mazda 6 is close to that photo that was released, it will give the Mondeo a good run for its money in the looks department.
Old 14-10-2007, 11:13 PM   #70
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaqxr6
That is the most effeminate front styling i have ever seen......forget it Ford....another dud. The Jap cars are going to cream this.

Everyone else seems to love it so obviously you don't have a clue.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2007, 06:25 AM   #71
Disciple
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Everyone else seems to love it so obviously you don't have a clue.
I'm with him, I think it looks too elongated. It's not a very good looking car. Meanwhile the new Mazda 6 looks like a Lexus GS450 and is a stunning looking car. Mondeo will not do very well, likewise then Falcon will do poorly still.
Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2007, 07:22 AM   #72
mowog
Discovery 4

I think we have some lines in the water here guys.

I hope they havent dropped the radar cruise control as an option. This is one option that has me interested in looking at an XR5TM...
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
mowog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2007, 07:28 AM   #73
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple
I'm with him, I think it looks too elongated. It's not a very good looking car. Meanwhile the new Mazda 6 looks like a Lexus GS450 and is a stunning looking car. Mondeo will not do very well, likewise then Falcon will do poorly still.

We will see, Falcon sales will depend on whether the market still want large cars at all, Orion will do well. Mondeo will solely depend on marketing and getting awareness.

And FFS Ford, if Holden can point out that the Craptiva has better fuel economy than a Territory (no , its a light POS) then surely Ford can tell the public where the cars are made. Get angry damn it.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2007, 08:50 AM   #74
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

Quote:

I know it's your personal opinion, but those are some very bold and rather un-researched assumptions. The majority of people love it, and think you will find you will be eating your own words soon.
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2007, 09:14 AM   #75
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I love the look off it and would love to get one if need be, BUT, the one thing I hate the most and it is the same with the Focus and other European built vehicle's, is the indicator stalk and wipper's on the wrong side off the column, I wouldn't think it would be that hard for Ford Aust to change it.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2007, 09:39 AM   #76
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In my opinion and I hope to the high heavens I am wrong, but the Mondeo won't succeed. Not because of the looks, price or features, anyone with half a brain would realise it's twice as good as the falcon equivalent.
It will fail because of Ford Australia, their mindset is still stuck with the Falcon, they still seem to believe it to be the way to go. Wakeup Ford, the falcon is not going to sell like it used to even with Orion, there are too many better cars out there for the $$ and people's buying preferences have changed. Sure the XR6T, 8 and FPV's will sell but the base models just don't cut the mustard anymore and it is time to move with the times.

So until Ford realise they have a decent range of cars in their lineup besides the falcon and start marketing them properly, they simply will fail, ok fail may be harsh but they won't meet expectations and Ford will withdraw them from sale. We saw that with the first gen focus released here, ok it didn't quite fail but it didn't light a fire under the sales figures like it should have. They marketed the second gen a lot better and sales have picked up a lot more.

My hats off to Holden and Toyota, they can market a car and sell quite a lot of them. Aurion for example and Captiva.

So c'mon Ford, get out of the falcon and spread the love among the rest of the range.
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2007, 10:20 AM   #77
Tribal
OCD keeps me busy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
And FFS Ford, if Holden can point out that the Craptiva has better fuel economy than a Territory
Yes and they are comparing holden diesel with ford petrol :

I personally love the look of the mondeo, was looking at a focus, but now that this is out... just hope the wife feels the same
Tribal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2007, 10:26 AM   #78
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well I think the styling of the Mondeo is safe, if not over the top. Certainly the quality looks to be there, but I also don't think this will sell in huge numbers. I would imagine a lot of Falcon drivers may trade to the Mondeo for reduced running costs etc, but it obviously is not a direct competitor to Australia's best selling car, the Toyota Corolla, which is crap to drive, but people are still buying them in flocks! Toyota's Corolla and Camry have been market names for years, and to some people the Mondeo has been, and gone years ago only now to return, but for how long? I think a lot of people buy on purchase security ( known reliability, market share and brand awareness) rather than something that is a rather new or re-born product available to Australia. I sure hope it does well, but I dont think it will sell in the numbers to that of the Focus.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2007, 10:32 AM   #79
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

ClevlndStemer, I think you are right to a degree. Lets face it, the market place is nothing like it used to be, family's are getting smaller and we just dont need Falcons or commies anymore; not like we used to.

What would be good is if ford as a povo spec falcon for the fleets, a luxury SWB (stuff LWB), and all the current sports models (XR6T, XR8 and FPV's). IMO there will always be a market for the bigger, more powerful cars.

Where the change IMO has been is the futura's, fairmonts etc. Family's/individuals have realised that a focus or smaller will do the same job. Unless you seriously need to tow etc then you dont really need a Falcon.

But in saying that America is still holding on, but they can afford to have mediocre cars as the market is just that big (although thats slowly changing too).

So hopefully the Mondeo can pick up sales from its competitors, and fill the gap that FoA has had for a long time.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 15-10-2007, 10:39 AM   #80
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardei
I've already posted in here, but now I've seen the range at the motorshow and I'm impressed!

There really are only 2 reasons you'd buy a Falcon over this:
1) V8
2) I6 Turbo

This thing is huge inside! At least as big as a Magna, if not bigger. It's got the width of the Falcon, but perhaps just a cm or two short on legroom. It's fantastic. Quality is miles ahead of the current Falcon (here's to hoping the Orion steps up the ballgame). Styling is great too, I reckon I was more fond of the Zetec in Red than the XR5 but both are good. The manual shift in the XR5 feels great, as I said before - shame it's not on every model. The price is just right. I was actually commenting to my friend, these will be the next 'Mazda 6.' At first, anyone who has one would be really exclusive, but give it a few years and everyone will have one (with good reason too!). The quality will still be there, just the exclusivity won't be.

Congrats to Ford with their current line up of cars, and here's to looking at the future.
ummm what about RWD? Love the mondeo, hope it crushes the epica and finally Australia has a real alternative to the Camry.
Old 15-10-2007, 10:51 AM   #81
BlackLS
yum

Saw some Mondeo advertising on the office's news headlines screen in the lift lobby.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2007, 01:37 PM   #82
blaqxr6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stylist
I know it's your personal opinion, but those are some very bold and rather un-researched assumptions. The majority of people love it, and think you will find you will be eating your own words soon.
I'll happily eat my words if Ford succeed with this....but i'll tell you now, its only the blind Ford supporters, who's numbers are dwindling with every new dud Ford releases, that will be on this bandwagon. Cmon folks, are you telling me that this thing is in the same league as the Mazda 6, Toyota Camry or Honda Accord...... surely consumers can't be that inept at spotting the odd one out in that lineup.

Dud reputation, dud styling, dud marketing, dud resale...... and which of those statements is subjective....the styling.... so personal tastes aside, don't try and tell me that the odds are in this cars favor when clearly, any betting man would put their money on, well, ANYTHING else.
Old 15-10-2007, 02:55 PM   #83
autolover08

Are you serious bud?? don't answer that...

1. The mondeo beats the class best seller 'the camry' in every measurable area and yes including styling, if you believe the camry is a better looking car than the mondeo...well lets just say styling certainly is sujective.
2. You have no clue as to what marketing Ford has ready for the mondeo, they haven't even started yet.
3. Mondoes pricing and spec is some of the best available!
4. Ford obviously doesn't intend on slutting the mondeo to fleets as the estimated figure of 500 certainly wouldn't include heavy fleet sales like camry...so this should help profit and resale values.

Please do tell me why you wouldn't buy this over an epica, camry or even a euro accord!?

It appears you my friend need to test drive some cars to wake up a little.

Last edited by autolover08; 15-10-2007 at 03:05 PM.
Old 15-10-2007, 03:16 PM   #84
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by autolover08
Are you serious bud?? don't answer that...

1. The mondeo beats the class best seller 'the camry' in every measurable area and yes including styling, if you believe the camry is a better looking car than the mondeo...well lets just say styling certainly is sujective.
2. You have no clue as to what marketing Ford has ready for the mondeo, they haven't even started yet.
3. Mondoes pricing and spec is some of the best available!
4. Ford obviously doesn't intend on slutting the mondeo to fleets as the estimated figure of 500 certainly wouldn't include heavy fleet sales like camry...so this should help profit and resale values.

Please do tell me why you wouldn't buy this over an epica, camry or even a euro accord!?

It appears you my friend need to test drive some cars to wake up a little.

Quote:
I'll happily eat my words if Ford succeed with this....but i'll tell you now, its only the blind Ford supporters, who's numbers are dwindling with every new dud Ford releases, that will be on this bandwagon. Cmon folks, are you telling me that this thing is in the same league as the Mazda 6, Toyota Camry or Honda Accord...... surely consumers can't be that inept at spotting the odd one out in that lineup.

Dud reputation, dud styling, dud marketing, dud resale...... and which of those statements is subjective....the styling.... so personal tastes aside, don't try and tell me that the odds are in this cars favor when clearly, any betting man would put their money on, well, ANYTHING else.
^^^^^^
: :

The Mondeo is based off exactly the same platform as the mazda6, just like the focus is to the Mazda3; so how are they going to be different?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 15-10-2007, 03:29 PM   #85
blaqxr6

"and i'd say build quality that at least matches the camry.
the only thing i can think of that camry has over mondeo is the toyota name, resale and projector headlights!
In my opinion if the new mondeo doesn't sell well, it won't be the fault of the car itself...marketing or the general public will be to blame."

Did you write that one autolover08? here's a reminder..... http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...24#post1766724
sounds very much like what i'd written ey?

So listen bud,
I don't need to belittle you in order to have my say. Being a new release, it may well be technically superior to its competitors, but if you think that alone will move units then you're in la la land.
Old 15-10-2007, 03:32 PM   #86
autolover08

Quote:
^^^^^^

The Mondeo is based off exactly the same platform as the mazda6, just like the focus is to the Mazda3; so how are they going to be different?
I'm not sure it is actually? i think the new mazda 6 has used a larger modified version of the old 6 platform, it has double wishbond front suspension and control blade rear suspension while the mondeo uses strut front suspension and uses the same control blade set up of the mazda 6.
Ford apparently will merge the next mondeo, american fusion and 6 one one global platform when the next models are due around 2010-11.

Regardless, the mondeo has and continues to be hailed as one of the best FWD dynamically accomplished vehicles in the world.
To say it's not near the top of it's competing segment is just plain silly and arrogant... :togo:
Old 15-10-2007, 03:39 PM   #87
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
^^^^^^

The Mondeo is based off exactly the same platform as the mazda6
I'm almost certain it is not.
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2007, 03:40 PM   #88
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by autolover08
Regardless, the mondeo has and continues to be hailed as one of the best FWD dynamically accomplished vehicles in the world.
To say it's not near the top of it's competing segment is just plain silly and arrogant... :togo:
Agreed, I cannot think of a FWD sedan that even comes close. I still have no idea why people buy camry's and corrola's, yeah they are reliable and efficient (nothing out standing BTW); but thats all they have going for them. :togo:

Anyway, the Mondeo is awesome, and Im sure Fords targets are not massive.

edit: my mistake about the platform, would have thought that would have been common by now, Regardless, it shows that the Mondeo is a great car.

Go and look on youtube for mondeo + topgear.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 15-10-2007, 03:43 PM   #89
autolover08

Quote:
"and i'd say build quality that at least matches the camry.
the only thing i can think of that camry has over mondeo is the toyota name, resale and projector headlights!
In my opinion if the new mondeo doesn't sell well, it won't be the fault of the car itself...marketing or the general public will be to blame."

Did you write that one autolover08? here's a reminder..... http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...24#post1766724
sounds very much like what i'd written ey?

So listen bud,
I don't need to belittle you in order to have my say. Being a new release, it may well be technically superior to its competitors, but if you think that alone will move units then you're in la la land.
What the hell is your point!? I did say that! it doesn't have projector lights, it's not a Toyota (perception and reputation sells the camry nothing else) and therefore resale may not be as strong as a camry.
Build quality is a match for the camry.

Now can YOU remember what you posted not that long ago and what i replied too??

You said it's not better than ANYTHING else and you would be plain WRONG, ok??
Why would you buy an epica or camry over a mondeo??
The camry isn't that old, the epica is new...

Now Ford will have to get marketing right on this, they haven't started yet, so neither you or i can judge that yet...
I also don't believe that top selling vehicles sell the best! but your claims have more to do with comparisons of vehicles the mondeo competes with...i never mentioned how it would sell, you did.
The mondeo is simply amongst the top class...wheather it sells well or not, that won't be due to the fault of mondeo.
Nice try to twict my own quotes around!
Old 15-10-2007, 03:45 PM   #90
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Go and look on youtube for mondeo + topgear.
There's also an awesome review on youtube by fifth gear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2a2JerrjOI
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post