Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-07-2010, 11:25 AM   #61
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkturus
Im no expert, but arnt Ford selling more Falcon's than they can build?
Ford are heading in the wrong direction in the top ten sales race. Total sales that is, and have been for a while.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 11:42 AM   #62
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute83
Ford are heading in the wrong direction in the top ten sales race. Total sales that is, and have been for a while.
*yawn*
same old bull crap different day.

total sales don't mean jack **** if you can make a profit.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 12:57 PM   #63
g220ba
FGX XR8

Ute83 stop looking at the overall sales as some sort of indicator of company performance. Ford made a profit last year and are by all reports on track to do so again this year. Too many people both on this forum and in general place way too much emphasis on total sales basically so they can brag to their mates or some bloke down the pub.

I would rather see what we're seeing from ford, steady sales performance backed up with profit.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 07:55 PM   #64
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84ltd
Ute83 stop looking at the overall sales as some sort of indicator of company performance. Ford made a profit last year and are by all reports on track to do so again this year. Too many people both on this forum and in general place way too much emphasis on total sales basically so they can brag to their mates or some bloke down the pub.

I would rather see what we're seeing from ford, steady sales performance backed up with profit.
Are you for real? That's what it's all about. When the likes of Hyundai, Mazda and the like start selling more cars than ford it's all over. Do you actually think that the small profit that ford made last year will be sufficient to keep everything the same as it is now? For the size of the Ford australia operation that profit isn't even petty cash.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 09:20 PM   #65
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84ltd

Problem is people look at the Falcon figures like that is all that is built in Broady. The Terri is normally forgotten, and the Ute is also there.

Quote:
Are you for real? That's what it's all about. When the likes of Hyundai, Mazda and the like start selling more cars than ford it's all over. Do you actually think that the small profit that ford made last year will be sufficient to keep everything the same as it is now? For the size of the Ford australia operation that profit isn't even petty cash.
Ahh in a year were many car companies were on their knees, turning a profit was quite good. Oh as for sales being the leading indicator Holden haven't made a profit with the VE. Yet have the No 1 model and are number 2 in the sales race.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:30 PM   #66
g220ba
FGX XR8

Quote:
It seems i am for real mate. I'd rather see Ford 3rd in the slaes race slowly building a reputation and making a profit (as small as it may seem) than have them lose money selling twice as many cars.

All the news coming out of ford in the recent past has been but positive and it looks to continue into the future.

I'm going out on a limb here and make the assumption you're only here to start an arguement so i'll take the high ground, consider this my final reply to your trolling.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 10:22 PM   #67
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
That's the trick with numbers though, it's not as though the cars are barely profitable.
a lot of stuff behind the scenes being developed and test facilities being built are being paid for.
The coming years will be better with more income now being derived from the castings plant.
Ford Aust are being paid $700 million for developing the T6, that is sucking up a lot of cash at the moment....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 11:06 PM   #68
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Can I suggust you look at the facts next time?? Falcon is up & Ford is up year on year!!! So how are they going backwards??

http://www.fordforums.com.au/vbporta...article&id=848

Anther thing that the car industry does which I think is wrong & not done this way in most other industries is the sales of "one" Getz worth 13K is the same as "one" GE6T worth 50K??? The car industry shows that as a 50/50 market share, yet most would say 20/80 market share in Fords favour!!

Last edited by Joe5619; 04-07-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2010, 12:55 PM   #69
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
Ford Australia's profit and loss for the last 5yrs:

2005- 148 million profit
2006- 40.3 million loss
2007- 87.2 million loss
2008- 274.4 million loss
2009- 13 million profit

Total loss = 240.9 million loss.

---------------------------------------------------

GM Holden`s losses (i.e. no profits) for the last 5yrs:

2005 - 145 million loss
2006 - 146 million loss
2007 - 6 million loss
2008 - 70 million loss
2009 - 210 million loss

Total loss = 577 million

Despite Holden having superior sales numbers year on year, they keep heading deeper into the red (haha).

Now they want to severely reduce their profit margin even more to 1997 prices just to keep the number one spot:

Quote:
Commodore prices slashed
RICHARD BLACKBURN WITH ANDREW HEASLEY
June 12, 2010

Holden's Sportwagon has been a shining light for Commodore sales.
Buyers can save the equivalent of $13,000 on a Commodore as the car maker attempts to secure its No. 1 status, writes Richard Blackburn.

Holden has wound the clock back almost 15 years on the price of its best-selling Commodore, as the company sacrifices profit to keep Australia's best-selling car on top of the sales list.

The Commodore is now cheaper than smaller, similarly equipped mid-sized cars such as the Mazda6, Subaru Liberty and Honda Accord, with Holden offering the car for $33,990 drive-away as part of a run-out sale ahead of a new model expected to go on sale in September.

The price is about the same as it would have cost to drive away in a similarly equipped 1997 VT Commodore. The deal comes with a host of extra equipment at no added cost, including leather upholstery, 18-inch wheels, Bluetooth and parking sensors.

It effectively represents a discount of more than $13,000 over the recommended retail price.

Commodore sales have slumped dramatically since the launch of the VE model in 2006.

In 2005, the last full year of the VZ Commodore, the car attracted 67,000 buyers. Last year, the total was less than 45,000. At the height of the car's popularity in 1997, almost 95,000 were sold.

The slide has been masked partially by the outstanding success of the Commodore Sportwagon. Wagons used to comprise one in five Commodore sales; now they make up a third.

The Commodore is not the only victim of the slide in sales of locally made cars in the past five years. Mitsubishi's 380 was discontinued in 2008, while Ford's Falcon and Territory have slipped down the sales charts as lower tariffs have made imports more attractive.

Toyota's locally built sedans, the Camry and Aurion, have fallen well short of initial sales projections.

Holden updated the Commodore sedan with a smaller and more frugal 3.0-litre engine in September last year. But it took the unusual step of not refreshing the interior or exterior design of the car.

As a result, the Commodore hasn't enjoyed the spike in sales that usually accompanies a model refresh.

Holden has reacted by running constant drive-away deals for the VE, which started at $36,990 and have fallen ever since.

Holden executive director of marketing and sales John Elsworth admits margins have been squeezed by the deals. "Does it mean our profits get squeezed? Absolutely.

But our cost-base at the moment here is pretty good with our restructure last year so we can weather the storm, if you like, from a reduced margin perspective," he says.

Holden lost $210 million last year, its fifth successive loss.

Elsworth says the company has responded to the shift in consumer demand away from large cars by developing a second car line.

The Cruze small car will be built at the company's Elizabeth plant in South Australia from February next year.

"That way we are producing cars across the two biggest market segments," he says.

Despite the sales slide, Elsworth is confident the Commodore will remain the top-selling car in the country this year, marking a 15-year run at the top.

"Our objective is still to be number one this year," he says.

"I don't think the model changeover really impacts that at all."

This week, Drive obtained an exclusive look at the interior of the new model, albeit in left-hand-drive guise for export markets.

It shows minor cosmetic changes to the cabin layout, the most noticeable being two large circular air vents in the middle of the dash.

The vents are believed only to appear on the sporty SS and SV6 models, while the rest of the range will get a more sedate treatment.

A multi-function LCD screen, flanked by 10 push buttons, has moved higher up on the console to address one of the major ergonomic failings of the VE - that drivers have to take their eyes of the road to fiddle with buttons that are presently set too low.

More expensive models are expected to get an upmarket touch-screen unit for controlling the airconditioning, audio and other systems in the car. Some models will also get a hard disk drive for storing music.

Other changes are believed to be limited to seat trims and inserts in the doors and on the dash, which has piano-black highlights.
So you can keep your sales numbers, i will keep my viable business. Just ask GM how this tactic worked for them. Oh....it didnt....
Old 05-07-2010, 05:33 PM   #70
Archilino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

New Vehicle Sales Figures June 2010

Toyota 21257
Holden 13836
Ford 10012
Hyundai 8055
Mazda 8024
Mitsubishi 7203
Nissan 7058
Honda 5373
Volkswagen 4759
Subaru 4066
Kia 2820
Mercedes-Benz 2410
Suzuki 2342
BMW 1651
Audi 1342
Peugeot 691
Lexus 657
Jeep 574
Great Wall 556
Isuzu Ute 523
Land Rover 521
Volvo Car 469
MINI 215
Skoda 179
Citroen 174
Dodge 139
Fiat 124
Proton 120
Renault 103
Alfa Romeo 100
Chrysler 99
Ssangyong 90
Jaguar 80
Porsche 65
Smart 23
Maserati 15
Aston Martin 8
Ferrari 6
Hummer 5
Lamborghini 5
Lotus 5
Bentley 4
Rolls-Royce 2
Morgan 0
Saab 0

Anyone have the model breakdown?
Archilino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2010, 05:42 PM   #71
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If Ford only sold 2600 Falcons, yet still sold 10,000, some of the other models must have had a good month??
Old 05-07-2010, 05:46 PM   #72
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
If Ford only sold 2600 Falcons, yet still sold 10,000, some of the other models must have had a good month??
Yeah, unless Falcon actually sold a lot more than 2600...?

I know for fact the Territory outsold the Kluger, but have no figures.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2010, 05:52 PM   #73
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they may have had a bumper car sales month, but the inital figures from Vfacts dont look too good percentage wise for the local manufacturers.

Year to day (compared to last year) large cars 48699 (09) compared to 51349 (10), only a 2700 jump from a very bad first half 2009.

4x2 Utes ytd 33389 (09) compared to 30893 (10)

As a total percentage of sales - Large cars for first six months last year were 11.1% but this year are only 9.3%.
For 4 x 2 utes it was 8.4 % last year but is now only 5.7% this year.

Biggest gains were in the small, light, and SUV compact segments.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2010, 06:00 PM   #74
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Yeah, unless Falcon actually sold a lot more than 2600...?

I know for fact the Territory outsold the Kluger, but have no figures.
I dare say this is the case. I've heard that Ford were trying to sacrifice Territory sales for Falcon, in an attempt to outsell Commodore outright. Whether this had happened is another matter, however 2600 is low.

All the Territory naysayers really have to have a look at the sales figures every month, as it is amazing that a six year old design can still outsell Toyota's newer, if not prettier design.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2010, 06:07 PM   #75
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
I dare say this is the case. I've heard that Ford were trying to sacrifice Territory sales for Falcon, in an attempt to outsell Commodore outright. Whether this had happened is another matter, however 2600 is low.

All the Territory naysayers really have to have a look at the sales figures every month, as it is amazing that a six year old design can still outsell Toyota's newer, if not prettier design.
I have a theory, hypothetically:
Fiesta 1200, Focus 800, Mondeo 500, Ranger 4x2 & 4x4 2,000 sales,
Transit 150, Escape 350, we're up to 5,000 of the total 10,000 sales.

That leaves 5,000, now take off 2600 Falcons and you have
2400 for Territory and Ute combined...

Last edited by jpd80; 05-07-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:38 PM   #76
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati888
A friend of mine wanted a G6. He went to several dealers who all wanted $44K and wouldn't budge. He bought a Honda Accord Euro with way more features, on road for $34.5K.

It's a pity Falcons have to be sold by Ford dealers.
I think your friend is telling porky pies, as you would get into a G6LE for under $40,000 and into a G6E for under $44,000. And that is before you start haggling with them.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2010, 07:21 PM   #77
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://www.caradvice.com.au/72826/ne...res-june-2010/

Quote:
New Vehicle Sales Figures June 2010
By Alborz Fallah | July 5th, 2010

Another month, another encouraging set of new vehicle sales data from the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries (FCAI). June saw a total of 108,722 passenger cars, SUVs and commercial vehicles sold, a respectable increase of 5.7 per cent (5,875 vehicles) over June 2009.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-conte...010-VFACTS.jpg

The results make June 2010 the best June on record, surpassing 2008’s record by 2,181 units. First six months of this year has results in 531,168 vehicle sales, up a healthy 16.7 percent over the same period last year. The biggest rebound compared to last year was the SUV segment with a sales increase of 30.8 percent. Passanger cars also saw a significant 15.8 percent increase while heavy commercials managed an 8.8 percent improvement.

The top three are the norm with Toyota leading the charge with a 20.2 percent market share. Holden (12.9 percent) and Ford (9.3 percent) round up the podium positions.

Light Car Segment Winners :

* Hyundai Getz
* Toyota Yaris
* Kia Rio

Small Car Segment Winners:

* Toyota Corolla
* Mazda3
* Hyundai i30

Medium Car Segment Winners:

* Toyota Camry
* Honda Accord Euro
* Mazda6

Large Car Segment Winners:

* Holden Commodore
* Ford Falcon
* Toyota Aurion

Upper Large Car Segment Winners:

* Holden Caprice
* Chrysler 300C
* Mercedes-Benz S-Class

People Mover Segment Winners:

* Hyundai iMax
* Kia Carnival
* Honda Odyssey

Sports Car Segment Winners:

* Mercedes-Benz E-Class Cpe/Conv
* BMW 1 Series Coupe/Conv
* BMW 3 Series Coupe/Conv

Supercar Segment Winners:

* Porsche 911
* Maserati
* Aston Martin V8 Vantage Coupe

SUV Compact Segment Winners:

* Subaru Forester
* Toyota RAV4
* Mitsubishi Outlander

SUV Medium Segment Winners:

* Holden Captiva
* Toyota Prado
* Ford Territory

SUV Large Segment Winners:

* Toyota Landcruiser Wagon
* Nissan Patrol Wagon

SUV Luxury Segment Winners:

* Mercedes-Benz M-Class
* Range Rover Discovery
* Lexus RX
Old 05-07-2010, 07:23 PM   #78
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

June VFACTS: Biggest sales month in history

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257757001BA62D

Quote:
FCAI says million vehicle sales unlikely in 2010, despite record June sales

5 July 2010

By MARTON PETTENDY

AUSTRALIANS bought more new vehicles in June than in any month in history, yet at the halfway mark of 2010, the nation’s peak automotive industry body expects total 2010 sales to fall well short of the million-plus record set in 2007.

According to official VFACTS statistics released today by the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries (FCAI), June new-vehicle sales were up 5.7 per cent or 5875 vehicles on the same month last year at 108,722, eclipsing the previous best June sales figure of about 106,000 in June 2008.

The boom June sales result, driven by the large-scale return of private buyers to the market and the usual end-of-financial-year business vehicle purchases, brings the year-to-date 2010 sales tally to 531,168 – up 16.7 per cent on the first six months of 2009.

For only the third time in history, more than one million new vehicles were sold in the 2009/10 financial year (1,013,273), and the industry continues to bubble along at an annualised running rate well over one million vehicle sales.

As a result, the FCAI has raised its full-year industry forecast from 940,000 to “in excess of 980,000”, which would be well up on the 937,328 vehicles sold last year but significantly short of million-plus records achieved in 2008 (1,012,164) and 2007 (1,049,982).

The FCAI says the increased numbers of private buyers across all sales segments is a clear demonstration of renewed confidence in the marketplace after last year’s global financial crisis-led slump.

However, it remains cautious of stalling business vehicle sales in the wake of the federal government’s small business tax incentives.

The FCAI believes the full effect of recent and (and future) official interest rate rises on private vehicle sales remains to be seen and, although it admits its forecast is more conservative than the million-plus estimates held by many observers and car companies, it says other factors could also dampen new-vehicle demand.

“I think we are being conservative in our forecast,” said FCAI chief executive Andrew McKellar. “There’s no denying that if you look over the six or nine months the market has been performing pretty much consistently at an annualised rate of more than a million.

“We have upgraded our forecast in June and that’s based on the performance of the market year-to-date. I think there are probably still one or two factors out there that we just want to be measured about.

“They include waiting a little further to make an assessment of the impact interest rate increases will have. We’re yet to see that filtering though to have any real impact on the market, but we’re just being a little cautious because of that factor.

“Equally, we want to make a further assessment about what’s occurring in other international markets, in particular having seen some of the volatility that is arising in some of the European financial markets and whether or not that will have any impact on the real economy.

“Of course, the other factor out there is whether or not there is any flow on from the timing of the forthcoming federal election. It shouldn’t be a big factor – there’s no fundamental reason for it to halt people’s spending – but nonetheless past practice indicates that elections can cause people to divert for a period.

“There’s no doubt it’s a judgement call and arguably we could have gone stronger and I think many industry analysts are doing so, but at this stage we just want to be measured in our outlook,” he said.

Mr McKellar said that despite the FCAI’s conservative official industry prediction, the return private buyers and positive economic indicators including vehicle affordability should result in consistent second-half sales.

“The very pleasing thing we’re seeing at the moment is that private buyers are coming back into the market in force and they’re certainly taking over the momentum that the business buyers have had for much of the past 12 months, so that’s a very positive sign.

“Interest rates are certainly a factor that will influence private buyers and some of the finance figures have pulled back a little bit. (But) There’s no doubt private buyers have been back in force in May and June and if that continues we’ll get a good result for the year.

“I guess the question is whether there will be any further pressure to increase interest rates between now and the end of the year. For the moment that pressure appears to have abated and new-vehicle affordability is still very much at record levels so that’s also helping underpin some of that renewed strength in private buyer activity.

“We’ve upgraded our forecast so I think it’s an indication that things are moving in the right direction and I hope that will continue. There are good reasons there for optimism as we go into the second half of the year.”

While sales of business vehicles were down by 16.4 per cent overall in June but remain up 10.3 per cent for the first half of 2010, sales to private buyers were up 20.8 per cent last month and continue to be up 17.5 per cent year-to-date.

The strongest sales growth was seen in the SUV sector, which last month attracted 1.8 per cent fewer business buyers, but 31.4 per cent more government purchases, 33.9 per cent more private buyers and a huge 550 per cent spike in sales to rental companies.

Spurred by a 28 per cent lift in business sales so far in 2010, YTD SUV sales are a massive 30.8 per cent so far this year. Business buyers deserted the other sales segments to similar degrees, but the passenger car market remains 15.8 per cent up YTD, following a 17.2 per cent increase in private buyers last month.

The hitherto booming light-commercial vehicle market saw business sales reduce by a big 27.6 per cent in June but remain up 1.0 per cent YTD for a total 5.8 per cent increase in the first six months – aided by 15.3, 40.5 and 412 per cent increases in private, government and rental sales respectively in June.

Toyota retains top selling position so far this year with a market share of 20.2 per cent (down from 20.7 per cent at the halfway mark of 2009), followed by Holden with 12.9 per cent (up from 12.3 per cent) and then Ford with 9.3 per cent – down from 10.2 per cent.

While Ford’s market share dropped by 0.7 percentage points to 9.2 per cent in June, Holden’s grew by 0.9 to 12.7 per cent and Toyota’s fell by 1.2 points to 19.6 per cent.

Other market share movers last month were Mazda (down 0.8 to 7.4 per cent), BMW (down 0.4 to 1.5 per cent), Honda (up 0.7 to 4.9 per cent), Kia (up 0.6 to 2.6 per cent) and Nissan (up 0.6 to 6.5 per cent), but in YTD terms Hyundai is the biggest improver at 8.0 per cent (up 1.4 points), while Honda remains 0.5 points down at 4.2 per cent.

Niche brands Renault (down 67.2 per cent), Chrysler (down 59.9 per cent), Fiat (down 55.4 per cent) and Porsche (down 45.4 per cent) were the biggest losers last month in terms of sales, while big monthly gains were posted by Isuzu Ute (up 58 per cent), Maserati (up 50 per cent), Kia (up 39.2 per cent), Land Rover (up 38.2 per cent) and Lexus (up 43.4 per cent).

YTD, the biggest sales decreases were posted by Saab, which has sold just one car all year, the discontinued Hummer brand, which still attracted five buyers last month, Dodge (down 51.8 per cent), Chrysler (down 46.9 per cent), Fiat (down 34.4 per cent) and Renault (down 31.7 per cent).

Biggest YTD winners, are Isuzu Ute (up 84.2 per cent), Lamborghini (up 71.4 per cent), Jeep (up 50.8 per cent), Smart (up 48.3 per cent), Proton (up 47.4 per cent), Hyundai (up 41.5 per cent), Land Rover (up 35.3 per cent) and Mini (up 34.6 per cent).

Toyota sold 21,257 vehicles in June – down 0.7 per cent but more than 7400 sales ahead of its nearest rival – and remains the only car-maker ever to sell 20,000 vehicles in a single month, thanks largely to segment leaders such as the Camry (up 35 per cent YTD), HiLux (Australia’s top-selling LCV) and Prado (which remains the nation’s top-selling medium SUV, YTD).

“Sales have picked up in the mining industry and among rental fleets, while private buyers have also returned to the market, aided by improved economic conditions and strong competitive retail offers,” said Toyota’s sales and marketing chief David Buttner.

YTD, Australia’s number one vehicle brand is up 14 per cent, with all models up except the Tarago (down 2.9 per cent), Aurion (down 7.4 per cent), Prius (down 15.9 per cent) and Avensis (down 29.2 per cent).

Helping make up ground to the market leader for Holden was the Cruze, which posted its highest monthly sales figure to date (2987) to notch up 25,000 sales since launch.

Still, the sedan-only model – which will spawn a hatch version when it goes into Adelaide production next year – trailed the best-selling small-car (Toyota’s Corolla: 4194 – up 3.1 per cent), as well as the Mazda3 (3680 – down 1.6 per cent) and Hyundai’s i30 (3209 – up 17 per cent).

While the Captiva posted record monthly sales (1675 – enough to oust the Prado for top medium SUV honours in June), the Commodore had its best sales result in 12 months to remain Australia’s top-selling vehicle for the month and year, with 4679 sold in June – down 1.1 per cent on June 2009 but enough to maintain a 7.1 per cent lift YTD.

Sales of the Ford Falcon were down a big 22.3 per cent in June but remain 10.4 per cent up YTD, while Toyota’s Aurion was down 20.8 per cent in June and off 7.4 per cent YTD.

To June this year, Holden has sold 23,125 Commodore’s for a large-car segment share of 47.2 per cent, followed by the Falcon (16,000, 32.7 per cent) and Aurion (6102, 12.5 per cent).

Holden also achieved its best June sales result for Epica and the best June since 2006 with the Barina, despite being in run-out ahead of the release of a new two-pronged model later this year.

“We’re finding that Commodore and Cruze are working really well in tandem, offering buyers at both ends of the market two really compelling vehicles that make Holden the smart choice for Australian motorists,” said GM Holden sales, marketing and aftersales executive director John Elsworth.

“It’s an exciting time at Holden – we’re gearing up for the launch of VE Series II Commodore later this year, and from next year, we will begin manufacturing the Cruze locally, making it the only small car made in Australia.

“The market’s positive response to Cruze augurs extremely well for the success of the locally produced models in 2011,” he said.

In luxury car land, while BMW had a month it would rather forget (down 15.1 per cent due to falls by all models except the run-out X5 in June), Mercedes-Benz logged its best ever sales month (2410 vehicles – up 7.9 per cent), to be up 16.7 per cent for the year.

C-class sales were up 18.9 per cent last month, while the BMW 3 Series was down 41.3 per cent and Audi’s A4 was down 10.5 per cent, giving Benz a dominant 30.4 per cent share of the over $60,000 mid-size segment.

Similarly, sales of the E-class boomed by 54.2 per cent in June (and by 83 per cent YTD) while its $70K-plus large-car rivals faltered, allowing the new model to join the S-class and E-class coupe/cabriolet as the leader of its segment.

“The outstanding June result vindicates our price-value strategy,” said Mercedes-Benz spokesman David McCarthy.

“However, our goal is not to be the number one luxury brand or even the best in each segment, but to meet our internal targets. If we meet them and we’re number one that’s just a bonus.”

Top 10 brands 2010 YTD:
1. Toyota 107,470
2. Holden 68,657
3. Ford 49,196
4. Mazda 42,871
5. Hyundai 42,371
6. Nissan 32,830
7. Mitsubishi 32,372
8. Subaru 22,205
9. Honda 21,109
10. Volkswagen 19,306
Old 05-07-2010, 07:24 PM   #79
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...0705-zwog.html

Quote:
June car sales strong, but buyers steering towards imports
MATT CAMPBELL
July 5, 2010 - 1:07PM

Sales of new vehicles look set to top 1 million, although locally made cars are continuing to shed market share as Australian car buyers look overseas.

Australians are now buying more cars from Thailand than Australia.

Figures released today by the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industry show that while sales of locally-manufactured cars are up by 7.9 per cent for the first six months of 2010 (74,199 compared to 68,759 in 2009), Thai-built cars have leapfrogged the locals, with 84,046 cars sold, taking advantage of a free trade agreement between the two countries.

The locally produced Holden Commodore/Statesman/Caprice, Ford Falcon/Territory and Toyota Camry/Aurion continue to post respectable sales, but they’re not growing as fast as imported rivals.

Thailand is one of the world’s main producers of utility vehicles such as the Toyota HiLux and Mitsubishi Triton, but is also becoming a hot-bed for passenger-car manufacturers, including most Hondas and, more recently, the popular Mazda2.

The trend is likely to continue, too, with Ford last week confirming its plans for a new manufacturing plant for its next-generation Focus, while the Ford Fiesta will also come from Thailand before the end of the year.

Australians are buying more Japanese- and Korean-built cars in 2010, too, with those two countries topping the list of importing nations, accounting for more than half of all cars sold. Add that to the booming Thai-built sector, and the figure jumps to 66.9 per cent of all new cars sold this year.

June was a record-breaking month for new car sales, with an increase of 5875 vehicles sold - up 5.7 per cent from 102,847 to 108,722 compared to this time last year. Year-to-date, 531,168 vehicles have been sold - an increase of 16.7 percent compared to the first six months of 2009 – putting the market on track to eclipse the 1 million mark for only the third time.

“The record June result is a clear demonstration of renewed confidence in the marketplace,” FCAI chief executive Andrew McKellar said.

Some industry experts are predicting the market will clear 1 million in 2010, although according to McKellar, the FCAI is more cautious in its prediction, only increasing its forecast to “in excess of 980,000 units – up from our original forecast of 940,000 sales”.

The Falcon’s 50th anniversary celebrations may be dampened by the fact that Ford’s large car was once again comprehensively beaten by its rival, the Holden Commodore.

Ford sold just 2651 Falcons in June, while Holden’s Commodore remains Australia’s number one selling car with 4697 vehicles sold.

The number one manufacturer’s position has been retained by Toyota, with 21,257 sales in June and 107,470 for the year so far – an increase of 14 per cent over this time last year.

In second place is Holden with 13,836 vehicle sales for June (68,657 for the year so far; up 22.3 per cent year-on-year) and Ford with 10,012 sales in June (49,196 this year; 5.9 per cent increase year-on-year). Private vehicle sales remain strong - up 17.2 per cent compared to this time last year - but business purchases are dropping back, down 13.3 per cent from 19,731 to 17,113 sales, presumably due to a jump in sales in June last year as the government’s financial incentive scheme was winding up.

“It is encouraging to see that private buyers have returned to the market in greater numbers and have taken over the momentum previously attributed to business sales,” McKellar said.

Australians are embracing the SUV with the soft-roader segment increasing by 30.8 per cent over the first six months of the year.

Passenger cars are up by 15.8 per cent for the first six months, while commercial vehicle sales have also fared well over the first half of the year - heavy commercials are up 8.8 per cent and light commercials up by 5.8 per cent.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:33 PM   #80
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Biggest sales month in history and Ford only gets 2651 Falcon sales...?? Bloody hell, get rid of the marketing team. There is no way that can be justified against an ageing competitor and the prices they are selling Falcons for.

Also is this the first time Cruze has outsold Falcon?
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2010, 08:26 PM   #81
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Biggest sales month in history and Ford only gets 2651 Falcon sales...?? Bloody hell, get rid of the marketing team. There is no way that can be justified against an ageing competitor and the prices they are selling Falcons for.

Whilst I agree it is a crap result, I knew this bad month would come soon or later.. Dealers registing demos is prior months had to get sold to customers some time.. I'm guess June was that month..

I can't believe Craptiva... New Territ should sell like hot cakes went it gets here!!
Old 05-07-2010, 08:47 PM   #82
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:

The more concerning thing is:

Quote:
Sales of the Ford Falcon were down a big 22.3 per cent in June but remain 10.4 per cent up YTD
22.3% drop compared to the same time last year, when the industry was still reeling from the effects of the GFC. Something horribly wrong there. It may (or may not) balance out by year's end going by the YTD growth but note that June last year had nowhere near the level of promotions and discounting that it did in the leadup to June '10. Unless it can indeed be put down to the 'demo honeymoon' ending in June.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2010, 08:50 PM   #83
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
22.3% drop compared to the same time last year, when the industry was still reeling from the effects of the GFC.
That is not right.. Car industry was on fire in June last year as businesses were trying to get the tax benefits from 50% from government before finincal year end. It was also originally meant to end in June, but was extended..
Old 05-07-2010, 08:55 PM   #84
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
That is not right.. Car industry was on fire in June last year as businesses were trying to get the tax benefits from 50% from government before finincal year end. It was also originally meant to end in June, but was extended..
Aha now that would explain it - partially. When did the tax break end?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2010, 08:57 PM   #85
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Aha now that would explain it - partially. When did the tax break end?
In the end it ended in Dec, but was originally meant to end in June... Cant remember if that was know before or after June ended.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:33 PM   #86
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I'm totally shocked by the Falcons numbers. Territory build numbers were down and the majority of builds were Falcons all month, an overtime Saturday as well, and numbers are lower than they have been for months. Where have all the extra Falcons gone?

Unless they were being stockpiled for this weeks programmed shutdown? Can't see why they would do that though.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2010, 11:43 PM   #87
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Ford would be selling a lot more Falcons if they hadn't misread the market. The replacement for the Egas engine should have been released by now but Ford shelved a lot of their LPG development several years ago and it was only revived when petrol prices started skyrocketing. Now they are playing catchup.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2010, 12:04 AM   #88
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The first set of our statistical graphic data is uploaded now.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2010, 12:24 AM   #89
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thank you Russell, would you have the figure for Ranger 4x4?
I see from the uploaded chart that it's around 1500....

June 2010:
Ford Falcon 2763
Falcon Ute 869
Territory 1,320
Focus 1,077
Fiesta 981
Mondeo 385
Ranger 4x4 1500 (approx)
Ranger 4x2 562

Whoo, 4952 locals......

Last edited by jpd80; 06-07-2010 at 12:30 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:13 AM   #90
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
*yawn*
same old bull crap different day.

total sales don't mean jack **** if you can make a profit.
Some car companies make a lot of cars and big profits. There is a radical thought. Apparently some Ford fans believe Ford Australia is now only capable of only one or the other.

Bit sad really. They should be capable of both. Once they were.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post