Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 13-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #61
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: What's the best V8 powered car for under $10k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID_BA View Post
But how many km did it have? You would be hard pressed to see a mint au3 220 with less than 110000km for under $10k

My mate has a budget but he doesnt want the cheapest car for a particular model, wants a car in top condition as new.
Did you even check the link? AU2 220 with 105000 kays for $8500. Body kit aside there's not a lot of difference between the series 2 & 3.

Mercury Silver 03 BA GT-P Tremec TR3650 Number 534

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

RIP Fish 15/1/73 - 9/2/19
Old 13-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #62
G6ET8U
GTX Turbo & KB Blown

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: ALWAYS goes out of his way to help others in need, never posts rubbish only facts he has learnt the hard way or with success in his personal experiance. Takes the time to aid more junior members and overall is a solid contributor to AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXR6 View Post
This is depressing living in Tas when it comes to cars !

For $10k our options are au series 1 xr8, vt ss, mostly with high-ish km's (over 160) or late 90's, early noughties v8 luxo's.

There's no way were getting a vx ss, au3 xr8 or t-series for $10k or under !

I've actually been on the hunt for a slick el, ef or au3 xr8 for some time and there's just nothing about that's $10k or under with under 200 thou km's !
Just for fun here...

You know when the plane leaves with tourists heading home you are allowed to leave too yeah?

Officially you don't even have to leave the country. Magic

Jack

SNOW WHITE 2004 BA FPV PURSUIT
2.6L Kenne Bell
Brembos all round
Twin Screw Awesomeness

Supported, serviced and tuned by
BLUEPOWER RACING DEVELOPMENTS

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11354744
3 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2012, 09:25 PM   #63
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 290GTP View Post
Did you even check the link? AU2 220 with 105000 kays for $8500. Body kit aside there's not a lot of difference between the series 2 & 3.
A standard factory version would be much better. He might get $7000 for it
Old 13-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #64
Trek
Blue blooded

ZH Marquis, XC GXL

Failing that, BA Fairlane or XR8.
This user likes this post:
Old 13-11-2012, 10:50 PM   #65
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8 View Post
Personally wouldn't touch a ls1 they were abit dodgey when new let alone 10 years later, shure they might have been quick but being .2 sec quicker over the quarter mile doesn't seem so fun when you are on ls1 forums asking " why is my motor rattling " or "why is my motor chewing so much oil " or joining the 500 page long thred about what oil keeps the ls1 the quietest : ) Thats not to say there are no good ones there a great motor when put together right.

I would just go a windsor powered ford latest model you could get maybe an au xr8 with the 220 motor or the fairmont gear in au or ba for luxury.
I'm guessing you haven't owned too many LS1s then?
Having owned 8 LS1 powered vehicles over the years and never had a noisy or oil using example I can highly recommend them (after the usual used car checks). For the money they are excellent used car buys IMO.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
2 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #66
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
or the fairmont gear in au or ba for luxury.
oh no you didn't..
Old 13-11-2012, 11:22 PM   #67
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
WAY overpriced for 220,000KM
Lot's of car for the money there, and it's clean and well presented.

Very classy.
Old 13-11-2012, 11:30 PM   #68
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

if people want to pay 10 grand for a fairlane with 220 thou on it then be my guest, i'm not stopping anyone.
Old 13-11-2012, 11:57 PM   #69
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
if people want to pay 10 grand for a fairlane with 220 thou on it then be my guest, i'm not stopping anyone.
If they are 220k ks of love, that's better than 100k ks of abuse.

I've driven low ks Falcons that were nasty as... coz the previous owner didn't give a stuff. So ks aren't really the problem so much as history and condition.
Old 14-11-2012, 12:49 AM   #70
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

you're not understanding what i'm saying. I have no problem with high KM cars, i bought my AU with 243,000 on it and it's still tight. I once bought an EL Ghia V8 with 345,000km on it! My point which i've said a few times is it's not worth 10 grand given the KM. I'm more than aware of km not being the be-all and end-all of buying criteria. Been there done that many times. Fact is, at the end of the day the KM reading be it granny km or Schumacher km, will make a large difference in the minds of most buyers.
Old 14-11-2012, 07:07 AM   #71
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Everyone is obsessed with total kilometers, it won't tell you the full story. Would you rather a car which has done 120,000KM, been driven in stop start traffic its whole life and missed one or two services or would you buy the car with 220,000KM which has a full service history with 90% of its driving country highway?

Give me the car that's spent its life in 4th at 2000RPM rather than up and down gears every 2 seconds and long periods of idling or lots of short trips.
Old 14-11-2012, 07:36 AM   #72
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

Agree , I've always bought cars with low km's and before i bought my TL i was iffy to consider it because it had 205,000km on the clock . . . The car is tight as a drum and so smooth and no noise anywhere . . . It has changed my whole perspective on high km cars . . . i had no issue handing over $12k+ for the car which is only 1 or 43 made with the high km's . . .

If you want something nice and the owner knows its a good car be prepare to pay the close to the asking . . . if the owner is happy to slash his original price you must ask yourself "why , whats wrong with the car? why the hurry to get rid of it?"
Old 14-11-2012, 08:26 AM   #73
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If your mate can hold off a little longer it won't be long before BA GT's will be within grasp of his budget the way the market is unfortunately.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
Old 14-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #74
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
you're not understanding what i'm saying. I have no problem with high KM cars, i bought my AU with 243,000 on it and it's still tight. I once bought an EL Ghia V8 with 345,000km on it! My point which i've said a few times is it's not worth 10 grand given the KM. I'm more than aware of km not being the be-all and end-all of buying criteria. Been there done that many times. Fact is, at the end of the day the KM reading be it granny km or Schumacher km, will make a large difference in the minds of most buyers.
What this bloke says is right.....High kms, while not an issue for some , is an issue for most, and the price must reflect that.

All other things being equal, the perception is that a low km car will be more reliable and need less coin spent earlier on major repairs.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
Old 14-11-2012, 08:37 AM   #75
RAPID_BA
Banned

I find it really funny how people try and justify high km with saying its always been serviced and its granny km on the highway. The truth is they dont know. Of course the previous owner will say its been babied all its life despite having 220,000km

Then they assume the low km car was never serviced and thrashed.

Its more likely the lower km car was cared for but again we dont know

We can however make the assumption they have treated similarly good or bad and that high km is worse than low km.

One of the oldest tricks in the book is to put a new shiny set of wheels on a high km car, otherwise you would never move them. They always seem to have a nice set of wheels dont they?

If my mate opens the gates to all the high km cars he could just about buy anything for $10k but he wants something with some sort of usable life left

Last edited by RAPID_BA; 14-11-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old 14-11-2012, 08:44 AM   #76
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
I find it really funny how people try and justify high km with saying its always been serviced and its granny km on the highway. The truth is they dont know. Of course the previous owner will say its been babied all its life despite having 220,000km

Then they assume the low km car was never serviced and thrashed.

Its more likely the lower km car was cared for but again we dont know

We can however make the assumption they have treated similarly good or bad and that high km is worse than low km.

One of the oldest tricks in the book is to put a new shiny set of wheels on a high km car, otherwise you would never move them. They always seem to have a nice set of wheels dont they?

If my mate opens the gates to all the high km cars he could just about buy anything for $10k but he wants something with some sort of usable life left
Or buy a car and try to move it on for a profit

I agree with km's though, high kms turn me away. But that said after buying a new car, my next car will be new aswell so kms wont be a problem.
Old 14-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #77
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Well if you buy a car from a country area, chances are its going to be country highway kilometers aren't they?

Then you check the service manual for stamps.
Old 14-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #78
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashie View Post
Having owned 8 LS1 powered vehicles over the years and never had a noisy or oil using example I can highly recommend them (after the usual used car checks). For the money they are excellent used car buys IMO.
No never owned one myself but had 2 in the family one chewed oil and the other ended up sounding like a tractor the piston slap was so bad. You have had a great run no doubt and they are a great engine but they did have issues so need to be carefull.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Old 14-11-2012, 08:54 PM   #79
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
oh no you didn't..
ha ha took me some time to work out what i did wrong
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Old 14-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #80
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
No never owned one myself but had 2 in the family one chewed oil and the other ended up sounding like a tractor the piston slap was so bad. You have had a great run no doubt and they are a great engine but they did have issues so need to be carefull.
I've owned two ls1 cars and 4 Windsor powered cars, all low km.

The ls1 motors were all good, they do have a little valvetrain noise but it's an alloy motor you will hear more. But they make some really crazy power and more fuel efficient than any Windsor. I also think the lack of low down torque is a myth. Mine just bites and bolts as soon as you crack the throttle.

The windsors though are reliable motors, their biggest problem was the ls1 and also the ford i6. In comparison Windsors just a little lacking in the top end department and more thirsty as well. But produce nice torque and sound good, make great cruisers, more of a luxurious feel being effortless and low revving than built for speed/revs. But nothing wrong with them. Don't read about too many mechanical issues with them. If there is one motor I'd trust with high km it would be a Windsor v8

Last edited by RAPID_BA; 14-11-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old 15-11-2012, 12:01 AM   #81
JimStone

Fairlane by Tickford - basically a long wheel base 195kW/410Nm EL GT with GT40P top end, adaptive shift transmission and plush leather interior, only 106 numbered cars built.

This ones a bit over budget, but if you keep an eye open they do pop up in the 10k range on occasion

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...5&sort=default
Old 15-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #82
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I've owned two ls1 cars and 4 Windsor powered cars, all low km.

The ls1 motors were all good, they do have a little valvetrain noise but it's an alloy motor you will hear more. But they make some really crazy power and more fuel efficient than any Windsor. I also think the lack of low down torque is a myth. Mine just bites and bolts as soon as you crack the throttle.

The windsors though are reliable motors, their biggest problem was the ls1 and also the ford i6. In comparison Windsors just a little lacking in the top end department and more thirsty as well. But produce nice torque and sound good, make great cruisers, more of a luxurious feel being effortless and low revving than built for speed/revs. But nothing wrong with them. Don't read about too many mechanical issues with them. If there is one motor I'd trust with high km it would be a Windsor v8

Yep the early windsors in stock e series form were pretty sad but they never went up against ls1 or turbo sixes back then. In 220kw and 250kw form were a great engine out of the factory.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Old 15-11-2012, 09:20 AM   #83
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStone View Post
Fairlane by Tickford - basically a long wheel base 195kW/410Nm EL GT with GT40P top end, adaptive shift transmission and plush leather interior, only 106 numbered cars built.

This ones a bit over budget, but if you keep an eye open they do pop up in the 10k range on occasion

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...5&sort=default
Im astounded. You would offer that up as a genuine good buy when I just sold my LTD of the same shape for less than half price? My car had Less than 100,000km against this cars 265,000km? The LTD interior was like brand new and more luxurious.. I sold it for less than half the price of that!!! Ill bet anything my LTD was a better car (mechanically, condition wise, power)

Last edited by RAPID_BA; 15-11-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 15-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #84
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Yep the early windsors in stock e series form were pretty sad but they never went up against ls1 or turbo sixes back then. In 220kw and 250kw form were a great engine out of the factory.
True from the AU up the windsor did have to get out of its comfort zone. The 220kw 5.0 were a good bit of gear but the 250kw T3 5.6 motor I read had patchy build quality, massive fuel thirst and apparently the piston bores would oval after a few thousand km leading to oil consumption issues. The 220kw 5.0 cars can be had for well under $10k but the 250kw 5.6 cars wont be under $10k
Old 15-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #85
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

May as well get on the bandwagon - under 10K - a no brainer - AU XR8 series 2 or three.
For sheer practicality,economy & fun factor, can't beat a 220 tickford windsor.

Brother has had HSV LS1 clubbies - kept updating but I have kept the XR8 - for many reasons I can't let it go - closest thing to a modern old school muscle car in sound.

If you are not in the market for sheer outright drag strip bragging rights, best cruiser on the market.
Old 15-11-2012, 09:59 AM   #86
anto
Za Dom spremni

My old 220 had better fuel economy than our FGXR6 so not sure where you get idea they had bad fuel economy.
As for finding a low km clean example for under 10k , theyre very few and far between. For under 10 your int the upper 100's and 200 Km range.
AU III XR8 red ute
Old 15-11-2012, 10:25 AM   #87
blk6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashie View Post
Agreed, owned a few myself and yes a good engine, reliable and consistent power. People bag out the old pushrod tech but some advantages are to be had over the DOCH V8's...and for the money a LS1 is cheap to buy.

Still don't sound as good as a Ford V8 with a good exhaust.....
Old 15-11-2012, 11:42 AM   #88
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

Quote:
True from the AU up the windsor did have to get out of its comfort zone. The 220kw 5.0 were a good bit of gear but the 250kw T3 5.6 motor I read had patchy build quality, massive fuel thirst and apparently the piston bores would oval after a few thousand km leading to oil consumption issues. The 220kw 5.0 cars can be had for well under $10k but the 250kw 5.6 cars wont be under $10k
Yes , because reading about it in a magazine must make all of your statements true . . .
Old 15-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #89
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

lol @ oval'd cylinders after "a few thousand km"
Old 15-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #90
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
You have NFI re the 5.6 motors

Big Damo re high k's check the log book stampings yer I can go to my mechanic mate and stamp every 10k service time to have the log book filled up nice and pretty

High k's for some isn't a concern but for me not a chance we are all different.....funny thread though.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
Closed Thread