Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 09-08-2006, 06:19 PM   #61
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BTW Bobman, most of the things you're complaining about are state government run, the Federal Government doesnt control hospitals, roads, speed cameras etc etc.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 07:04 PM   #62
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Bobman,

I've used census data for some of my uni projects. Without this data I wouldn't be able to pick out trends in town growths or average residents per dwelling, which are rather important for things such as water and sewage infrastructure...

How would you like it if no-one in your town filled out the census (let's just assume this was allowed), and then all of a sudden one day in the future you have poopy bubbling up through your shower and toilet due to no-one knowing about the growth occurring in your town.

Anyhoo, it's not like the info available which I've used/obtained states:

Name: Bobman
Employment: Lollypop lady / Bingo caller
Marriage status: Legal in England but not recognised in Australia yet

etc etc

All you will be is a statistic. Let's say everyone in your town fills in the census. It might allow government authorities and consulting agencies to see that:

Town dwellings increased from 2024 to 2738 between 2001 & 2006 for your town.
Average number of people per dwelling decreased from 3.2 to 2.9 between 2001 & 2006 for your town.
Average income in your town climbed from $45k/yr to $49k/yr between 2001 & 2006
Unemployment went from 5.5% to 4.7% between 2001 & 2006

etc etc

This info for example coule be for say someone doing a socioeconomic review of a region & considering whether throwing a Centrelink branch in the area is a good idea or not (or extending/reducing an existing one).

Now the name BOBMAN won't stick out in any of those statistics.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 07:12 PM   #63
Bobman
Regulator

Hi Ghia5L,

While I agree with you on most points, I think we survived fine prior to any Censuses commencing in Australia.

Perhaps if the Government actually listened (State & Federal) to people's concerns with their town, or other community concerns then and there things could be rectified. Seeing the reluctance to fix some community concerns, or other important things I somehow doubt the information gathered from these forms will make the Government act.

One example: Scoresby tolls (this involved federal & state input).

Just for your info though I wouldn't put in fake information in the forms, I agree that's just silly, it's more like a survey though.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 07:25 PM   #64
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

You raise some good points Bobman, and overall the census is really from a high-up-overhead point of view, rather than looking into the needs of an individual town, or estate, or even street. But its info can be useful for other purposes.

BTW, the first national census was conducted in 1911 ;)
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 07:31 PM   #65
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
You raise some good points Bobman, and overall the census is really from a high-up-overhead point of view, rather than looking into the needs of an individual town, or estate, or even street. But its info can be useful for other purposes.

BTW, the first national census was conducted in 1911 ;)
I agree with all above

I will now keep quiet on the matter. Cheers.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 08:02 PM   #66
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Well it said on the form it would be picked up today till whenever - didn't say what time, didn't say they have to pick up from the person who completed it or whatever.

Just said it would be picked up.............

Anyway left it outside to be picked up and guess what happened, it rained, actually it poured down.......

1 x Wet smudged Census form

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 08:10 PM   #67
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6cylEA
I thought the census guy was a bible basher or something I almost slammed the door in his face... :
I was home when the young bloke came around to drop ours off, I thought the same thing, or one of those marketing people.... heard the doorbell and went to door, only to see him standing through the window

Turned around at went back to kitchen to eat some more while doorbell rang another 3 times. Missus filled out the questions last week!
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 01:46 PM   #68
Fingers
Ex EF Futura Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
Because Howard introduced the census and all.....

But yes, judging from your post I would agree. The schools are still stuffed.
Ahhh......... Howard DID NOT introduce the census, its been around since 1906.
Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 02:01 PM   #69
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers
I think that was the point trying to be made.

The wording is sarcasm at its best. Perhaps a rolling the eyes little smiley would have helped.

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 02:02 PM   #70
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jeez some of you are bloody sooks. Some have probably spent more time bitching about it than the thing took to complete!

Quote:
Psyco Chicken was being sarcastic...
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 03:24 PM   #71
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Lol. Big brother???

Batten down the hatches, bone up on your copy of 1984 and start stockpiling canned food for the demise of society - the governmnent now knows HOW MANY PEOPLE LIVE AT YOUR HOUSE!!!! OH MY GOD!!!!!!!

10 minutes, once every 5 years. Now, that's just asking far too much isnt it?

Anyone bother to read the reports that are released following each census?? And see how this feeds in to long term policy? Or just prefer to criticise without basis?

Census is a bit older than 1906.... i think that's where Mary and Joseph were off to when mary figured out she was up the duff! Lol, those wacky romans!
Old 10-08-2006, 03:48 PM   #72
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

HAHAHHAHAHAHHA

This thread is getting better by the day!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 04:48 PM   #73
NC_GHIA
FirstOnRaceDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
I was home when the young bloke came around to drop ours off, I thought the same thing, or one of those marketing people.... heard the doorbell and went to door, only to see him standing through the window

Turned around at went back to kitchen to eat some more while doorbell rang another 3 times. Missus filled out the questions last week!

Its just the natural instinct to not the answer the door when someone is caring a bag and goes to ever other house in the street...
NC_GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 06:25 PM   #74
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i didnt say that i didnt like to do it all i said it was a pain in the but to have to do it

i like the idea that it might help my family ie kids in the future

things like schools and hospitals and all

jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 08:08 PM   #75
Bipolar
I'm back. Same car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCFordChic
... the government isnt all bad you know...
Seeing what goes on in State Government first hand, I can see both sides of the coin. Hell yeah there's bulls***, and not just a little bit. And it would seem that nobody listens, but they do. The problem is EVERYTHING in Government has a process. These processes are usually lengthy and sometimes f***ing annoying, but they're there for a reason. One is that there is never usually the same person doing the same job forever, and there needs to be something for the next person to learn from so they know exactly what they need to do.

Another reason is that as it IS the Public Service, the public have a right to access almost any info the Government has under the Freedom Of Information Act. This means that everything the Public Service does can come under scrutiny at any time. We have a saying at work, "Do it as though The Courier Mail is going to print it on the front page". Everyone has to follow the processes or this could, and does, happen.

But the one that sticks out in my mind the most is that there are always people doing the wrong thing. In every workplace, not just Government. I've seen processes developed for things that never had them before, ever, and everything worked just bloody fine as it was until someone abused the freedom their job gave them, and something has to be officially put in writing to prevent it happening again. Now whenever something in that manner needs to be done, it takes longer.

So basically the Government is damned if it does, damned if it doesn't. There is always going to be someone doing the wrong thing - another official process made - longer time to finish the job - someone to whinge about the time taken. Do you please the public that want it done right, or the ones that want it done now?

Since I've been in Government I've seen that things are slowly getting better as the old school mentality starts to fade (even though the 70s and 80s sounded like a s***load of fun at work) and fresher minds are doing jobs they are actually passionate about and want to do better at. It won't be any time soon, but I can see it happening eventually. My cousin is living proof of this from what he has done for the Queensland Police Service.

Food for thought...
Bipolar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 10:46 PM   #76
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

So i guess that essentially you were confirming what i said?

It just annoys me when people continually whinge about 'big fat stupid government', it's like we are American's turning our backs to authority and a centralised power, yet we didnt declare independance from the 'nasty authoritarian Britain' and have civil war over government policy.
It continually surprises me that noone recognises the good things, or even the neutral things that go on and recognise that the media has a large role to play in what part of government policy/spending etc the community at large has a journalistic, 'whatever makes the better story and will get better ratings' view of.

Whenever the word 'government' is said now it seems there are negative biases towards it, no matter what the real subject matter of the conversation is. There seems to be a general concensus within the commmunity that it is ok to disrespect the representatives (as individuals and collectively) that we have chosen to govern this great country of ours for us. Im not saying that we shouldnt debate the multitude of decisions made by our governments every day, but at least think past ourselves and what we want as individuals to see the greater picture, because that is what governments have to do the majority of the time.

I know i have gone a little off topic, but this thread wasnt wholly about the census form we filled out... It was about a lack of faith the people have in any action by the government (whether they be present or past), that the people cannot see the immediate personal benefit of.

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2006, 01:19 AM   #77
Fingers
Ex EF Futura Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCFordChic
I think that was the point trying to be made.

The wording is sarcasm at its best. Perhaps a rolling the eyes little smiley would have helped.
Sorry, missed the sarcasm bit........... :
Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2006, 01:45 PM   #78
parawolf
beep beep

Also consider this. When external researchers do data mining for stats what source do they query? The ABS for the census information. It is in a neat concise form which is statistically relevant (assuming some of you whingers filled it out accurately).

A large number of social research projects are sourced out of university facilities or companies like SKM or Thiess-John Holland. They use census information for statistical information for project viability, return on investment and profile of users.

Census data is not just for the government to watch on you - They do that anyway.