Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Do you think the new Kluger will take alot of dominance away from the Territory?
Yes - It's Freekin' sweet! 30 28.30%
No - About as much interest as the Mitsu 380 45 42.45%
Kluger sales won't change 31 29.25%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21-07-2007, 06:50 PM   #61
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If people here believe driving on the snow isn't scary at times in RWD cars, they have never done it. Driving up Mt Buller doesn't count either.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2007, 06:58 PM   #62
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
If people here believe driving on the snow isn't scary at times in RWD cars, they have never done it. Driving up Mt Buller doesn't count either.
Um ok, that has what to do with the new Kluger impacting the sales of the Territory?:
JBomb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2007, 11:31 PM   #63
hy_boi
Alan! Alan! Alan!

We have our intro on the new kluger next week, and i think it will make a slight dint in the terror sales, but i think we'll see more of a dint from the V6 rav4.
hy_boi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2007, 11:39 PM   #64
Bosman
T Series Club Member No24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous™
No way that thing sucks badly.

Guys seriously! If this is what we're comparing a Territory to , Ford has nothing to worry about. Mate that is UUGGLLYY!!! :togo:

FTe Venom T3TE50 No229 5.6L Manual Don't drive one! Because like so many others , including ME , you will become TOTALLY addicted.

2016 Harley Davidson Softail Heritage customized.
Dead set gorgeous!
Bosman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2007, 12:14 AM   #65
jdg
Aussie cars rule!

That is the old model. New model pictured slightly above.

jdg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2007, 03:21 AM   #66
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
Option of being able to make center row into 2 captains chairs when seating for 3 isnt needed.
Wait til people see the middle "seat". I'll be intrigued to see how they make it legal in Australia, no apparent seatbelt in US model and you need a backside no wider than a ferret's. So are we looking at a 4/6 seater competing with a 5/7 seater Territory?
Old 22-07-2007, 06:08 AM   #67
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

No incorrect ever seat is a lap/sash and i would suggest you have a look/seat in the Australian version before reading over seas articles regarding the kluger.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 05:36 PM   #68
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
Quite agree Dave_au. And yet the Kluger's operating costs (which includes resale factor) is very similar to the Territory (and about $15 a week more than a RWD Territory). A lot of it is based on perception and emotion, and rammed home by marketing - rather than hard research.
A lot of typical Ford dealerships do a great job of selling cars for Toyota too. Heck my local Toyota dealer has recruited the best of the Ford salesman and made it official.

Dan
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 06:24 PM   #69
Nappa
Impressive...

So far the pre sale enquiry has been huge on the kluger, heaps of people know its comming even though Toyota hasnt aired a full ad campaign yet.
Having sold both territory and kluger i've found that the kluger buyer is more attracted to kluger only and not really interested in the competition.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:54 PM   #70
winovin

Regarding rear wheel drive in the snow: I would point out that Chrysler has switched from a front wheel drive to rear wheel drive platform in their new large car in the USA, the 300C (and Dodge equivalent). Chrysler said that the advent of stability control made rear wheel drive equally competent to FWD in the snow. Note that this requires all season tyres, whereas a lot of people are ignorant about this and find their RWD cars with stability control are poor in the snow: this is because they have summer (performance) tyres fitted.

The big disadvantage Ford has is a very poor dealer network. I went to Jubilee Ford in Five Dock a few months ago and could not get a test drive in a Territory. Jubilee Ford subsequently closed down, and now there is no Ford dealer in the inner west of Sydney. The Toyota dealer across the street is still there! I bet they would be happy to give a test drive of a Kluger!

The problem with FWD cars now is that their engine power has grown faster than their ability to control torque steer. Drive any reasonably powerful FWD and it is riddled with torque steer. I bet a FWD Kluger with around 200kW will squirm around under hard acceleration.

Last edited by winovin; 08-08-2007 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Spelling
winovin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2007, 02:23 PM   #71
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by winovin
Regarding rear wheel drive in the snow: I would point out that Chrysler has switched from a front wheel drive to rear wheel drive platform in their new large car in the USA, the 300C (and Dodge equivalent). Chrysler said that the advent of stability control made rear wheel drive equally competent to FWD in the snow. Note that this requires all season tyres, whereas a lot of people are ignorant about this and find their RWD cars with stability control are poor in the snow: this is because they have summer (performance) tyres fitted.

The big disadvantage Ford has is a very poor dealer network. I went to Jubilee Ford in Five Dock a few months ago and could not get a test drive in a Territory. Jubilee Ford subsequently closed down, and now there is no Ford dealer in the inner west of Sydney. The Toyota dealer across the street is still there! I bet they would be happy to give a test drive of a Kluger!

The problem with FWD cars now is that their engine power has grown faster than their ability to control torque steer. Drive any reasonably powerful FWD and it is riddled with torque steer. I bet a FWD Kluger with around 200kW will squirm around under hard acceleration.
Having grown up in a snow bound environment (Scotland) and lived extensively in the French alps I can happily say that RWD is next to useless in snow- sure, someone might have spend a lot of money adding sophisticated electronics to a RWD car to improve its icy footholding but as an effective rule- FWD drags a car on snow and ice which maintains better weight distribution and traction than RWD.

I am a huge fan of RWD cars and have owned/driven both types and 4WD's- the latter being the best obviously!

You are dead right about the tyre choice- many holiday makers came up on the wrong tyres and enevitably ended up in trouble but even with the correct tyres and chains my 528i with an LSD was totally useless in snow!
As part of my job training I took and passed an extreme ice driving course in France- lots of fun and all the driver trainers there maintained the same view.

Sorry to hijack the thread, now back to the fascinating topic of Klugers.

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post