Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-04-2010, 12:02 AM   #61
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
No point in being rich but not having toys, right?!
True they do serve a purpose.. BA pull's heap's of young chick's... XA pull's heap's of old bag's....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 12:15 AM   #62
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

Well I've always liked Fords since I was a kid, mainly due to my aunties brand new (At the time) EF Fairmont in Gunmetal Grey (thing thats the colour)...

My first car wasen't a Ford but for my second car I was just looking for the best possible car for my price range, wasen't to fussed on brands just aslong as it had cruise control , power windows, good engine and suitable for long trips.
Then I came across a perfect AUII Fairmont, was just a tiny bit over budget but my mum helped me out a bit and soon to be 2 years it's been perfect for my needs
JTFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 12:20 AM   #63
seduced_xr
BF XR6

i bought my BA because it was an ok colour with perfect panels and paint, low km and one of the cheapest i had found.. all the problems its given me in the past 2 weeks aside i guess it hasnt been that bad. FG next for me, no more Bseries
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 12:30 AM   #64
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had a VC Commodore, VR Commodore, AU Falcon.. then the BA XR6.

Always wanted a BA XR from the word go. Went for the house option, and kept the AU till I had some money saved.

Was looking for a modern car, that looked good, looked fast, had enough power, had the credentials of a sports car, a color that stood out from the packs, yet still offered every thing a sedan or larger car should.

Enter the BA XR6. 4.0l 183kw 6 Cylinder. Acid Rush in color. Premo sound, sunroof, black interior, leather this, leather that. Looks like a champ, drives like a dream. The ladies love it.

onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 12:40 AM   #65
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

Love small cars (I'm 6'4"), love having fun in small cars, love Ford's and hate Holdens.

Plus I wanted something brand new, couldn't afford a Focus XR5 and when I saw Jeremy Clarkson drive the new Fiesta up the beach with the marines in their training exercise on TopGear, I had to have one. Fortunately was in a position at the time where I could buy one (just ... took every last penny).

Originally planned on modifying it (exhaust, 17's, lowering, ECU, air intake, body kit etc.) but have decided to wait and save up until the XR4/ST version reaches Aus and upgrade when the time comes.
Fiesta God is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 10:28 AM   #66
Fled74
The Thread Killa

When my wife and I arrived in Australia in December 2003, our first car was a 1989 KE Laser Ghia POS for which we paid around $3000 plus on-road costs. Things were always going wrong with it, but I learned to fix most of the problems myself. We sold it in June 2005. I've always liked small cars, but the Laser nearly changed my mind.

I had my eye on a white EA XR6, but my wife felt it was too big and would cost too much to insure. Also, after the endless problems the Laser gave us, she wanted a brand new car which meant we could only afford a small one. I checked out all the small cars available and we decided on another Ford (a German-made one too), the 2005 WP Fiesta. Out of all the small cars we looked at, the Fez was unquestionably the best.

We finally paid it off last year and we'll be holding on to it for a while longer - our Fiesta is nearly five years old but it still has more character than a lot of newer cars, and still puts a smile on my face.

The only thing I don't like is that people still call it a "Festiva".

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 12:44 PM   #67
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

I bought my EF XR6 Wagon because I wanted to buy something sporty, that I could go camping in (to sleep)... that was NOT a holden... and that was relatively rare and reliable... Looked at 3 different wagons before purchasing mine... (though wish I had have held out for a Manual...

I bought my AU F/Ghia V8 because I was looking for a large car to fit the family, built in 2000s, Ford, that was around the $10k mark (2 years ago) and had about 100,000km... I wasn't specifically looking for a V8... but wanted leather, options, and a fairmont or ghia... Fluked this find at a reputable yard... 108km, V8, full leather, premium sound, 1 owner... I did look at Early BA's but could only afford an XT or a high mileage Fairmont... Did also look at XR's but they weren't as luxury oriented...

Very happy with both selections... They're both relatively rare and not common cars... and they suit my needs (3 kids, wife) at this stage...
Old 29-04-2010, 01:12 PM   #68
JazManXII
Starter Motor

well ive always for some reason only ever owned magnas and hated myself for it so by dumb luck really me and a mate were looking through a car magazine and saw this 1974 351 XB GS Sedan for the bargain price of 6K. Well i bought the car cause i have always loved the body and loved traditional aussie muscle
JazManXII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 05:57 PM   #69
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

Been driving Ford Falcons since I learnt to drive. Guess I became a Ford man from dads car back in 1994. A Falcon will always be in my heart and now I am able to keep my XR8 as a low miler and I have built it up to exactly how I want it. Its too new and too good to sell so she is a keeper. I love it to bits and will be my treasured car.

A late model Falcon is excellent if you want a comfortable, fast, good looking sedan with all the comfort and smoothness.

Recently it was time to buy something with my heart rather than practicality, space, I wanted to get out of the I have to buy it because its new. Something out of my comfort zone, something that is totally unique, something I've always lusted and something that is not going with the pack.

Oh its the nearest Red one with the spoiler. Apologies its not a Ford.
Old 29-04-2010, 06:45 PM   #70
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My uncle bought a 5L (tecnically 4.9L) VL Calais back in 1988, and kept it until 1994. I have feint memories of driving in it back when I was a kid, and as I got older I started getting more interested in cars.

To cut a long story short back in 1998-2002 after going to Summenats, and seeing how popular VLs were I decided wanted one for myself.

Just always loved the look of them really. My one is far from being perfect, but I love it as much as the day I bought it. It's quiet, drives good, has hardly any rattles. Sometimes amazes me how good it drives for a car that's nearly a 1/4 century old.

I'm strongly considering a V8 for my next car, but deciding betwen a VH, or VK. I'll probably end up with another VL though.

Now all this talk about Commodores doesn't mean I wont consider a Ford for the future. I was extremely close a couple of years ago to buying an EB/ED, but pulled out as I wanted to keep the VL for a few more years.

I'm more Holden than Ford, but like my old man if the opportunity arises I wont knock back a Ford if it's something I truly want.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 06:53 PM   #71
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
True they do serve a purpose.. BA pull's heap's of young chick's... XA pull's heap's of old bag's....

Does that mean the XA is superior as old bags are heavier than young chicks.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 09:48 PM   #72
Bluntman
Loves the blunt

XR Strider - Nice Corvette mate, I love that 80's shape although my favourite is the 57-62 with the twin round headlights. But I love all old American muscle cars.
I see yours is right hook, did you get that conversion done here our in the states?
Bluntman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 09:56 PM   #73
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Wanted a B-Series XR since they were released, looked at a few XR6T's & XR8's, couldn't find a GT worth buying in my price bracket..

Saw a Black XR8, Manual, Leather, Premium Sound, 18's, Low/Average KM.. SOLD!

The Fact it had a few mods was just a bonus.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 10:02 PM   #74
PHANTMXR6
It's not an FG MKI.......

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluntman
But I'm wondering what made you choose YOUR car?
1. So why did you decide on that model?
2. What attracted you to it?
3. Why by a new Falcon when for the same money you can get a classic Falcon that will go up in value? Or why by and old Falcon when for the same cash you can get a brand new one with all the go fast bits and handling?

Sorry to bastardize the original post, but it breaks down into many questions.
And I came from owning a BA XR6.

My answers are as follows.

1. I'd been researching for a few years and was waiting for something better to come along.
2. The fact it was faster/better on fuel/lighter/cheaper to modify for more output/cheaper than the alternative HOLDEN/and didn't have that 'in your face' look like the VE front guards.
3. Really, there is no comparison, when you can buy late model and literally just put fuel in it and service it and forget about everything else; and who says it will always go up in value? Probably a bad example, but would you drive an imaculate XY anything in the rain? I'd drive my imaculate FG in the rain because I live in the world of now.

My version of me and now........

Want to know how to do an A Service for an FG XR6T?

Look in this http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339404

Thinking of oil sampling your engine?

Have a look at this trend http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ght=oil+sample
PHANTMXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 10:10 PM   #75
BluepearlXH
Brendan

My blood runs blue
I wanted a V8
And the bank was stupid enought to give me the money!
plus it was an FPV at an XR price
BluepearlXH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 10:12 PM   #76
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

I wanted a GT since the BA GT came out, couldnt really afford it at the time, but dreamed on, was almost ready to buy and BA II came out and was nicer, had more equipment etc, but then i heard on the grapevine (AFF) that next one had ZF 6sp auto, so waited for BF, and made the dive very late into BF when the Boss 302 versions came out and put the order in.

People sometimes say "oh why did you waste your money buying a new one"

My reply is, firstly "STFU", then i say, its the exact car i wanted, i plan to keep it a long time, i dont ever see it as an investment, but i enjoy it everytime i drive it. Worth every cent in my book !
Old 29-04-2010, 10:37 PM   #77
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

I had a 84 VK wagon with 5spd manual which had the black 3300 six which i rebuilt with performance parts. I preferred Fords back then, but were too large for my wagon needs. Sold it to buy a 94 Nissan Bluebird LX 2.4L manual. Kept that for a few years. Went back to bikes. Bought a 92 Nissan Pulsar 2L Manual. Kept the bike to this day. Sold the Pulsar.

Bought the AU XR6 VCT which has been a great car. I was looking for more space, more refinement (regular interstate drives) and the ability to carry a future family. I wanted a straight six again. I also wanted the famed IRS from the AU too. The performance is very good and highway economy on par with the 2L Pulsar. ie ~8L/100km. Been a tremendous vehicle for the past 5 years.

Bought the AU2 Ute last year as my daily driver with tools etc and for the odd jobs that arise!

Our next car will either be a Territory or FG Falcon. Just love the straight six. Next one will have boost though!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 11:52 AM   #78
Bluntman
Loves the blunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTMXR6
3. Really, there is no comparison, when you can buy late model and literally just put fuel in it and service it and forget about everything else; and who says it will always go up in value? Probably a bad example, but would you drive an imaculate XY anything in the rain? I'd drive my imaculate FG in the rain because I live in the world of now.
Hey Phantm I hear ya but I'm the exact opposite. For me there was no comparison with getting a 40 year old car to a new one. Its not my daily so it never gets driven in the rain but for me there is just something about old cars that new cars don't have. Yeah its not fast and doesn't handle well, there are squeaks in the dash and its noisey but I love the way it makes me feel when I drive it, it has its own character. Plus its a piece of cake to work on and I do everything on it myself. No need to plug it into a diagnostic machine.
But that said, I can understand where you are coming from to.
Bluntman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 11:57 AM   #79
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I was just browsing the paper one day in 2007 and saw an ad for a 02 BA XR6 for 16,000…So pretty cheap at the time. Rang up and enquired about it and went and had a look for something to do…Had a drive and fell in love…had the money in a couple of days and had it in the next week or so.

So I guess you can say I bought it out of impulse.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 12:36 PM   #80
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

My current car, it was just a case of I was bored with my old car and decided "stuff it" and bought it. I wasn't going to to begin with as I wasn't after another Falcon, I wanted something smaller; I had a 5L EF Gli at the time which was more of a dream car than my BA.

I had wanted to own an injected V8 since I was a teenager and wanted an EF ever since they came out. I was doing year 10 work experience at my local dealer and remember seeing this sleek futuristic car in the wash bay on my last day there. It was the EF... So I ended up owning a V8 EF 6 years later and fulfilled 2 dreams. My V8 BA XT is pretty much just an upgrade. I love the sound and torque charateristics of a V8 so if I own a large car it's usually a V8.

My first car is similar to the OPs original post. I always dreamed of owning a Falcon coupe since I was a kid, my first car was an XA coupe.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 01:46 PM   #81
ltd
Force Fed Fords

I didn't choose my current car, it chose me.
Whilst at my dealer putting a deposit on a territory for my sister, it sat there and invited me over. We spent 5 agonising days apart although I did visit it, thought bugger it and had to have it. 15 months later and we're still very much in love.

Quote: