Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #61
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Blood taken, Do you handle it ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD ESP! XELR8 View Post
I suffered from a PE (preliminary embolism)
G'day Dave,
The P stands for pulmonary, so basically a pulmonary embolism is a clot (embolus) that has shot off to the lungs (pulmonary), which I'm sure you know but just thought I'd chime in in case.

In terms of all the responses to needles, the needle phobia is often a conditioned response, but the physical part with the going pale, feeling nauseated or faint etc is called a vasovagal response and is not uncommon at all. It's a bit like an overwhelming of one component of the nervous system, and doesn't mean you're a big sook, it's just how you're wired. Mostly those affected go deathly white, feel nauseated and every now and then faint for a few seconds, and every now and then someone will pee themselves when they pass out, which is unlucky. It's always good to warn whoever's taking the blood or doing the procedure etc, so they can lie you down first and save you (and them) the fall!
Cheers,
Matt
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #62
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Wost needle ever for me:

Ingrown toenail with soft tissue infection throughout toe.

Anaesthetic needle going into the toe...

Most painful thing in my life I have ever experienced, I've had it done once on my left foot and 3 times on my right in my big toe.

Oh lord it hurts so much.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #63
Esteven8

I don't mind blood tests, I'll quite happily sit there and watch the whole thing. However I did get one where the nurse (must have been a trainee ) took 6-7 goes to get into a vein without collapsing it. Ended up with epic bruises on both arms as a result.
But oddly if I cut myself I tend to get very pale and lightheaded the second I see the blood start to flow.
Esteven8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #64
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

had a blood test a few weeks ago, was fine for the blood being taken. got the bill the other day, $105 for 5 mins work taking the blood..
Old 26-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #65
qdda5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Wost needle ever for me:

Most painful thing in my life I have ever experienced, I've had it done once on my left foot and 3 times on my right in my big toe.

My 14 year old son had the same issue with his toenails. He sat there in the chair, had the needles and barely flinched when he had them.
I couldnt believe it. The nurse asked him if he was ok and he said yep Im fine.
Got the photos saved for his 21st .
Me personally, i hate them but dont worry too much and get over it.
qdda5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #66
Esteven8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky View Post
had a blood test a few weeks ago, was fine for the blood being taken. got the bill the other day, $105 for 5 mins work taking the blood..
Lol, they'll bleed you dry any way they can.
Esteven8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #67
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Speaking of blood taken , it was my turn yesterday, the poor young nurse has trouble finding a vein after 4 or 5 attempts in each arm , she finally found one in my hand, why do they say after giving blood to not lift any heavy weights??
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #68
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I have the blood work request here from my Endocrinologist. He's taking me off all my meds for 3 months, and then I have to get the blood done a week before I go back to see him.

Do NOT want!!
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #69
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have to have my blood taken monthly too sometimes its been 11 vials per session. Add onto that because of my condition I need to eat like a wild animal, I have big fat veins but even though they are very exposed and in your face, they also slide all over the place and it usually takes 4 to 5 stabs into my muscle to get a needle in... Not much fun. But you get used to it. There's one girl that can stab them first go all the time but she's usually in the lab since she's the scientist, mostly I just get a nurse and they aren't so skill full at grabbing wiggly veins
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #70
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Wost needle ever for me:

Had this a few times too. The needle is not the worst part, it's when the anaesthetic goes in...
Old 27-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #71
satria
FOXWHO

I hate needles, I'm not a big bloke but i think I'm tough enough when it comes to most things. I'm not really scared of a lot of things that people are normally scared of but put a needle and a tube for blood near me and i feel like fainting. I just don't know why, I've seen some gross blood related things when i was younger but nothing extreme so i wouldn't think they would have mentally scarred me. I could be wrong though.

Apparently i have a pretty rare blood type so my wife has been pushing me to donate (she gives blood fine), I'm just constantly trying to push myself to do it but i know I'll probably just look like a big chicken when I'm there.

One thing that has been helping me recently is the need for a root canal and a crown so I've been to the dentist 4 times now and have 3 appointments to go, each time i get 2 anesthetic jabs to numb me up and I'm dealing with them fine which makes me fairly confident it's the blood not the needle that makes me queezy.
satria is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #72
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe View Post
Had this a few times too. The needle is not the worst part, it's when the anaesthetic goes in...
The anesthetic? By then I'm woozy in the head, trying to breathe and turning pale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Wost needle ever for me:

Wow, reading this made me curl my toes......

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
I have to have my blood taken monthly too sometimes its been 11 vials per session. Add onto that because of my condition I need to eat like a wild animal, I have big fat veins but even though they are very exposed and in your face, they also slide all over the place and it usually takes 4 to 5 stabs into my muscle to get a needle in... Not much fun. But you get used to it. There's one girl that can stab them first go all the time but she's usually in the lab since she's the scientist, mostly I just get a nurse and they aren't so skill full at grabbing wiggly veins
After my 5 pokes to get a line in and lab work I had several more last week....not good. 11 vials would have on fainting.
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #73
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Wost needle ever for me:

I had a local gp have 3 goes at an ingrown toenail on my big toe, each one with 3 needles, 1 in each side and 1 in the end.
Grew back each time so off to a surgeon I went. Also done under a local but haven't had an ingrown toenail now in over 25 years. Basically he cut a v out of the side of the toenail base along the side.

Most painfully needles ever.
But, trying to pass a kidney stone lifts the level of pain experienced to a new high which is yet to be beaten, although gout came close.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #74
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Any time I get a jab I burst into loud, uncontrolled hysterical laughter. No bloody joke. The nurses all roll their eyes when I tell em... Then go and get the doc after they make sure they are not seeing / hearing things... A doctor has been summoned on a few occasions now mid blood draw to actually assess the reason.

I'm stumped... Guess it tickles?

You should see me when I get a whole bunch of holiday shots... Tears rolling down my face. Should get a video if it some day... Wonder if there is a name for my condition?
Ok... got a flu shot done yesterday... If you hear him just before he says to relax he says, 'You're not laughing, whats wrong?' He still remembers me from last year....

Till he jabs me ;)

Starts when any needle goes it, stops about 5 seconds after it's pulled out... you should see me when they need to draw 3 vials.....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2013, 11:01 PM   #75
Thornie
Off smelting

I had to get 6 vials taken one day, the only time in mylife I've had blood taken, i found it fascinating watching it pump in each time my heart beat.
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #76
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaTTuS View Post
I had to get 6 vials taken one day, the only time in mylife I've had blood taken, i found it fascinating watching it pump in each time my heart beat.
I'm just finishing 2 weeks off work on leave, although the first week will now be sick leave. Had gout acting up so went to the dr again, got new scripts plus repeats and while I was there he took 6 vials of blood.
For an unfit, unhealthy eater all test results were good except high iron levels.

Looks like I now get to ensure I don't eat food high in iron now.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2013, 12:35 AM   #77
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

I've donated more than 7 gallons of blood, so needles don't bother me much. Plus they give me cookies!
Old 04-05-2013, 01:34 AM   #78
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I CANNOT watch the needle going in. It doesn’t bother me at all, doesn’t hurt, and once its in I have no problem watching the blood.
The trick I find is to help myself to the juice packs and fruit cake beforehand, and consume them as the blood is being taken. Then a strong coffee afterwards.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:39 AM   #79
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nope not me. I can't even look at the tray with the needle/injection thing, I turn away and read whatever I see or close my eyes.

It's the apprehension, I tell you.
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: