Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #61
Majestic

Default Re: Chrysler to Join V8 Supercars?

and if that were to happen - what will the bogans do lol

seriously - that would mean no more supercars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
if ford stop making falcon's, then i doubt holden will be allowed to make commode dores
Old 28-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #62
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestic

Im sure the catagory would evolve to cope.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #63
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:

i would think it would stay the way it is going
nascar thrives even though toyota don't run a v8, to my knowledge the taurus and fusion have never been v8's. probably the same with the other brands too
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #64
FPV0002
FPV0002

Nikked, you are the only one making any valid points here. Production car racing
Already exists! None of The top tiers of Motorsport in the world do not include the production cars/bikes we can buy. F1, motogp, wrc and the v8 Supercars are all purpose built race machines that only loosely represent the manufacturers product. If so many people are so keen to see a racing version of their car in a racing series then go watch a round of the Aus production cars. I think some ppl are confused as to what they really want?
FPV0002 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 10:10 PM   #65
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Bathurst 12 hour should be interesting this year, especially since the top GT3 cars could be lapping quicker then the V8 Supercars if the Ferrari 458 lap record is anything to go by.

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 10:12 PM   #66
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That's why they are about to change the regulations so that nameplates that aren't RWD in real life can participate.

If suddenly both the Falcon and Commodore get killed off, there would still be plenty of models the manufactures can have representing them. For example, Ford could use the Taurus, while Holden would use whatever car their largest sedan would be if there was no Commodore.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #67
ford lover

Production car racing is what Bathurst should be.The manufacturers getting behind their cars,Like in the seventies.Not the boring event it has become today.People say,Holden won or Ford.What do those cars (supercars) have to do with what we can buy?Sheetmetal,big deal.
ford lover is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #68
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford lover
Production car racing is what Bathurst should be.The manufacturers getting behind their cars,Like in the seventies.Not the boring event it has become today.People say,Holden won or Ford.What do those cars (supercars) have to do with what we can buy?Sheetmetal,big deal.
But what do you limit it by?

What cars can enter?

What alterations can be made to the cars?

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 10:45 PM   #69
ford lover

The usual safety precautions,etc.What ever the Australian production car championship does.Limitations,im sure could be worked out,so some Godzilla,all conquering monster doesnt wipe everything out.
Old 28-01-2012, 11:03 PM   #70
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The usual safety precautions,etc.What ever the Australian production car championship does.Limitations,im sure could be worked out,so some Godzilla,all conquering monster doesnt wipe everything out.
So what you have in mind would be touring cars only as opposed to the Bathurst 12 hour race which has opened its doors to GT class cars such as Nissan GT-Rs and Ferraris.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 11:09 PM   #71
ford lover

Just a contemporary version of the good old days.
Old 29-01-2012, 01:53 AM   #72
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
The V8 supercars are V8 powered (tick) RWD (tick) 4 door (tick) cars that resemble the roadgoing versions (tick)

APCT only draws attention at the bathurst 12hr, not the rest of the year because the standard cars arn't as fast and interesting (most of the time) to watch as the V8's...

Ford and Holden won't spend the money on developing a limited (200 units?) run of cars, just to suit a few people who cant let go of the past. Its not viable as an investment...and if they did there is no guarantee that a special run of V8's would be it, the EB4 might be what ford would want to make a name of.

The V8's is regarded as one of the worlds most exciting tin-top racing catagories and it shouldn't be changed.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2012, 03:30 AM   #73
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bring back group C and i dont meen old school group C
but new car's that race teams can wave their magic on
FG11 Vs VE11 Vs anything rear drive and 4 door...
now that id go and watch
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2012, 06:25 AM   #74
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
i would think it would stay the way it is going
nascar thrives even though toyota don't run a v8, to my knowledge the taurus and fusion have never been v8's. probably the same with the other brands too
NASCAR is slipping. It's expensive to go to the races, and our recession hasn't helped.

You're correct that Toyota has never offered a V8 car. The Fusion is a front-drive sedan with a V6 as the top option (the next model will only offer fours). The Taurus SHO had a V8 briefly after 1996, but the current model (which was previously the Five Hundred) has never offered a V8. The older Taurus was front-drive only, but the current model offers all-wheel drive.

The current Impala is a front-drive car, and has been since it debuted in 1999 (I think that was the year). The Monte Carlo hasn't been rear drive since 1988.

The Dodge Charger is rear drive and offers a Hemi V8 on the street. Dodge's NASCAR engine bears no relation to the Hemi, however. (It's pretty much a copy of a Chevy engine, as is the Toyota race engine.)

I began to lose interest in NASCAR in 1989, when all the street versions of the GM cars switched to front-drive V6s, but the race cars were rear-drive V8s.

Then after Ford killed the Thunderbird (which was offered with a V8 until the end, albeit a 4.6 SOHC vs. the racing 5.8 OHV) they started racing the Taurus, which was a front-drive four-door sedan that somehow became a rear-drive two-door race car.

Then NASCAR made all the cars have the same bodies. Before the decals are applied, you can't tell what kind of car it is. It's just pointless now.
Old 29-01-2012, 07:49 AM   #75
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
But what do you limit it by?

What cars can enter?

What alterations can be made to the cars?

Easy...dust off the rules book from the old days and update it to suit current cars and safety regs. Have a few classes of cars...I think it used to be 2 liter, then another class for bigger engines, then the largest engine class.

And yes...most people would be happy to let anything in...who cares if Falcons or Commodores don't win every single time...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2012, 08:29 AM   #76
ford lover

It wont be long before the supercars will have the same bodies,like nascar.One will have blue sticker the other red!Boring(tick)no character(tick)the only car that wins,has most corporate,funding,great(tick) Production racing is not interesting or fast.really!Not viable!The first thing all the bogans say is i drive Holdens because they have won Bathurst the most.

Last edited by ford lover; 29-01-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 29-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #77
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

Ok they might not directly engineer the results, but a safty car deployed at the right moment can have a direct result on a race, dont ever thinks it cant!
If you think it BS just keep watching. They have engineered Bathurst for about 6 years now, Even back to the EB days when DJR & most Falcons were unbeatable, just 3 weeks out from Bathurst they make them change their airo package, that didnt work so days before Bathurst they had to lift their ride hight up & fit [shotgun pannels] under the front guards! lets not forget the car that was never aloud to win the poor AU Falcon That car was hobbled from the start! & believe me its not just the officals, the teams are heaverly involved, think back a couple of years when DJR were broke & were selling off stuff, the very next year Courtney wins the title! He wins buggerall races crashers into everything but the title is his! Same with Rick Kelly a few years before, it comes down to Kelly V Lowndes remember the Phillip Island feasco You dont find that just all to convenient? Ambrose V Murphy at Bathurst? Ambrose & the belaclava? I can go on but I wont. Wake up & smell the roses people

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680

Last edited by sbutler; 29-01-2012 at 09:26 AM.
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #78
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic
NASCAR is slipping. It's expensive to go to the races, and our recession hasn't helped
obviously you know more about the us and nascar than i, but i would think that the economy would be a huge reason for any downturn in nascar's interest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic
Then NASCAR made all the cars have the same bodies. Before the decals are applied, you can't tell what kind of car it is. It's just pointless now.
in theory, most of us hate this path. i certainly do, but if nascar is on and i am too lazy to reach for the remote, then i still hope the ford's win. wierd, i know, because even more so than with v8 supercars, i know there is no real difference in the cars, but the sticker still means something. there are many people who are less brand concious than me who will watch both nascar and v8 supercars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Easy...dust off the rules book from the old days and update it to suit current cars and safety regs. Have a few classes of cars...I think it used to be 2 liter, then another class for bigger engines, then the largest engine class
how would any manufacturer be able to afford this. ford and holden could not. toyota are laying off people. there is a reason why series production is not the top level of motorsport in most, if not all countries. it is a bottomless pit if you wish to be competitive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
And yes...most people would be happy to let anything in...who cares if Falcons or Commodores don't win every single time...
we had a class of racing where anything was let in - group a. no one wanted it, so v8 supercars was born and people do want that. it has probably never been so popular. i personally would have rathered group a (maybe because the sierra's dominated so much), but i am in the minority

Last edited by gtxb67; 29-01-2012 at 10:07 AM.
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2012, 10:28 AM   #79
4stanger