Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-09-2006, 01:10 AM   #61
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbz
or maybe just maybe with the xr8 stranded on the side of the road they thought to themselves how will we recreate the incident, to make some more compelling video for the audience, after all it was a VIDEO review. so they got the fairmont car also on the test and recreated the incident for the audience to see... its called journolism people! designed to visually get to the audience.

HAHA fake holden payroled test? haha seriously... some of you guys are so cynical about the motoring media.... when it suits
Spot on. This is the only sensible comment I have come across in this thread.
If it happened the other way around there is no doubt in my mind that they would be being praised for their credible journalism.
Face it, personal opinions aside, the SSV would've won the comparison anyway, the XR8 is outdated in comparison and the Boss 260 is no match for the 6L.
All this talk about it being a set-up, conspirasy, Holden funded etc etc.... seriously get a life people.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 03:09 AM   #62
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
If it happened the other way around there is no doubt in my mind that they would be being praised for their credible journalism.
Face it, personal opinions aside, the SSV would've won the comparison anyway, the XR8 is outdated in comparison and the Boss 260 is no match for the 6L.
All this talk about it being a set-up, conspirasy, Holden funded etc etc.... seriously get a life people.

Yeah right............how about next time the Ford has a flat battery so we give it to the Commodore ? please..........
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 07:41 AM   #63
GOLDIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The xr8 does not and i repeat does not have a plastic transmissom pan.

They are pressed steel.

This would have to the prize of the most baised report ever between holden and ford.

Utter crap.

Ian
Old 04-09-2006, 09:26 AM   #64
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that vid is the Holden marketing machine working it's magic, as usual.
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 09:31 AM   #65
dandaman

Even tho it was crap and setup. I'm sick to death of SS vs XR8 Comparo's, they seem to do them every few months. So it's obvious they were going for something different this time
dandaman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 10:00 AM   #66
Dilan

Quote:
That is highly unintelligent, you are the one that needs to get a life if you can't come to terms with the fact that, that was a crappy review. Let me guess your one of the people that watch and actually believe the the tripe that comes out of shows such as ACA T2T etc.

Lets see...um Ferrari Enzo vs Holden SSV. Ferrari driver is dumb enough to let the car travel over a rock and damage something, according to you, we should believe the Holden wins (by default)...if we don't we should get a life.

Oh, but what a stupid example in the eyes of Holden fans their cars are better than Ferrari's cos they are Holdens bro.
:
Dilan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 10:07 AM   #67
Nappa
Impressive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDIE
The xr8 does not and i repeat does not have a plastic transmissom pan.

They are pressed steel.

Ian

Checked that with our service department, the ZF 6 speed has a plastic pan, but if you were going to go driving in the outback you'd get a sump guard...
Old 04-09-2006, 10:15 AM   #68
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

What Load of dribble, if the car had lost all its oil in the auto, whould there not be a trail of fluid?
They started to pull over a few 100 meters before it stopped, but the oil patch is only a few meters from were the car stopped.
I remember a few years back HSV cars were blowing power steering hoses in testing, they were fixing them in the middle of testing...
while this was mentioned in the testing, it no way stopped the test.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 10:28 AM   #69
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

of my god.
theres not much i can say that hasnt already been said but WTF!!!!!
aaarrrrgggghhhh seriously i demise those kinda biased w@nks!! god im so angry bout that! now lets come on...SSV wins by default to a fairmont ghia pulling off the road because mr SSV's mate who's driving the XR8 cant DRIVE!!

another thing too...the SSV is a brand new 2006 car just off the production line whereas the XR8 is still basically a BA 2002 model with a BF early 2006 facelift! not even a comparison! maybe they think they should compare the SSVomit to an older car as they KNOW for a FACT that the new Falcon will run all over them!!hahaha now im being biased!lol! but seriously you know what im saying!
Old 04-09-2006, 10:47 AM   #70
Boss 290

it is fair to line them up as even though the xr8 is older it is still being sold as a 2006 car...logic says that the ssv should win due to the amount of money spent on the model and yes it is newer then the bf which is very much like the ba 2002...i have no problem in admitting that but i do think its wrong how biased the report was...they didnt even have a camera in the xr8 and the whole site has holden videos all over it no ford ones...for a car that has had so much spent on it all they did was work the v8's and left there 6's in the dusts of fords, toyotas and mazdas...common sence would tell you that in todays day and age the 6's should be much better fuel efficient now....if it was the other way aroud and they made it look like the ssv hit a rock i would laugh but i still wouldnt believe it, especially if it was a calai that ran off the road.
Boss 290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 10:47 AM   #71
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

just thought of something interesting!!

notice that the guy in the SSV was looking at the (supposedly XR8 [Fairmont Ghia]) in front of him. then the guy in the SSV pulls up next to the XR8 and the guy in the XR8 has had time to pull over, get out and open the bonnet, get back in the car and be waiting there. so wouldnt this mean that the XR8 absolutly slaughted the SSV and was a bloody long way in front??!!
Old 04-09-2006, 11:00 AM   #72
Boss 290

i like your style lol slaughted :thebirds:
Boss 290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 11:02 AM   #73
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

lol! best describes the situation!
Old 04-09-2006, 11:31 AM   #74
VSSII

Some people will get so worked up over anything! Any unbiased viewer (of which there are almost none in this thread) can look at the big picture and move on. The big picture being they took a car with a plastic pan to outback Australia. I can't believe Ford fit an Australian car with a plastic pan personally, but as if it wouldn't break!
Or maybe GM paid them all off, to say the newest most developed car on the market is actually better than a 2 year old model of another manufacturer.. I can accept a little bias on a forum such as this one but this is getting a little carried away.
VSSII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 11:34 AM   #75
Rob
Living the dream

That was probably the most ametuerish comparo i've ever seen, the quality of the test (or lack thereof) renders any conclusion meaningless.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 11:35 AM   #76
Homer1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

No one has denied the SSV would have won. We are discussing dodgy and biased journalism. A blatant (and very poor) attempt at misleading the public.

So:

1. Read the thread properly
2. Watch the video
3. You go get a life and sod off back to street commodores
Homer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 12:59 PM   #77
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer1
No one has denied the SSV would have won. We are discussing dodgy and biased journalism. A blatant (and very poor) attempt at misleading the public.

So:

2. Watch the video
You Can't argue that one Stevz.. I would have rather see a full comparo done and the Falcon lose rather than that Garbage worthy of Today tonight Air time.
It sounded like the Crocodile Hunter was Testing the car. No one is arguing the So called might of the SS's 6.0 Chevy..

'Nuff Said.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:12 PM   #78
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
To even try to defend the indefensible is just plain stupid.

The whole article is laughable, regardless of opinion about what the result "might" have been.....

Old 04-09-2006, 01:17 PM   #79
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbz
or maybe just maybe with the xr8 stranded on the side of the road they thought to themselves how will we recreate the incident, to make some more compelling video for the audience, after all it was a VIDEO review. so they got the fairmont car also on the test and recreated the incident for the audience to see... its called journolism people! designed to visually get to the audience.

HAHA fake holden payroled test? haha seriously... some of you guys are so cynical about the motoring media.... when it suits
And if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle, lies is lies plain and simple....
I call INFOMERCIAL,and I'd like to do a boxing glove comparison with that knobjock journo.
And for the record,Im not a fan of either car,I just hate being fed CRAP......
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 01:47 PM   #80
RPO83
ĕm-bär'gō? 2016

The Ghia was there because this was done during their test of a whole range of BF's and VE's. I sent something to Fairfax a while ago about their poor quality video streams and this is another example of their continued lack of quality. They managed to do thousands of kilometers of extensive testing in the respective cars and this video was the best they could come up with? The articles on Fairfax about the comarisons have been all quite good but this video was garbage.
RPO83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 02:01 PM   #81
EF, What else?
A Bloke

I can't get the video to work on my computer, so I'm just going to fit in and say, shocking journalism. :
Old 04-09-2006, 02:12 PM   #82
XRated
Shoot.

I think we can all make up our own minds about whether it was an amateur review/video. That's pretty obvious.

But for all you guys saying it's not a fair comparison and that the Ford is still from 2002/3.... Think about it, they sell them now so they are a 2006 model. Whether or not Holden has an imported 6L; it's still the BF XR8's competitor and will hose it in performance anyway.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 02:30 PM   #83
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
I think we can all make up our own minds about whether it was an amateur review/video. That's pretty obvious.

But for all you guys saying it's not a fair comparison and that the Ford is still from 2002/3.... Think about it, they sell them now so they are a 2006 model. Whether or not Holden has an imported 6L; it's still the BF XR8's competitor and will hose it in performance anyway.
I dont think Many of us are arguing that SSV would have outgunned the XR8 this time- its to be expected and no doubt Holden bought a couple or XR8's to mess with.. to make sure that SS line up would be superior in some ways (ok, not the gearbox maybe ;)) but having said that, it would have been nice to see Drive do a propper, thourough comparison of the two, out line both cars weaknesses and strengths...
Old 04-09-2006, 02:49 PM   #84
AlbertM
Cracked Pot

If the bad acting didn't give it away the rear spolier missing on the car pulling over, Different road, there would have been a stream of oil on the road not a puddle.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:53 PM   #85
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

maybe the journo is an apprentice for today tonight? lol
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 03:24 PM   #86
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilan
That is highly unintelligent, you are the one that needs to get a life if you can't come to terms with the fact that, that was a crappy review. Let me guess your one of the people that watch and actually believe the the tripe that comes out of shows such as ACA T2T etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer1

So:

2. Watch the video
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
To even try to defend the indefensible is just plain stupid.

The whole article is laughable, regardless of opinion about what the result "might" have been.....
If you all read my post properly you will see that nowhere did I defend the actual video nor did I say I agree with it. As a matter of fact I don't agree with it.
I am simply making a point about how hypocritical some people are.... If a review is judged in Holden's favour all hell breaks loose about drive.com.au being dodgy and unprofessional, yet if they judge in a Ford's favour they are suddenly highly professional oracles of wisdom.
This is followed by stupid and mindless accusations about it being a Holden funded conspirasy....PLEASE! Why would Holden bother doing this when they clearly have the better product which would have won regardless.
And as a matter of fact I clearly remember reading a post/thread on this very forum about people who have had ground clearance issues with zf equipped bf's, so it's definitely not a one off. Maybe it's something ford should investigate.
Oh and Homer1, you tell me to go back to street commodores....It's funny how people jump to conclusions, I don't drive a commodore or even a Holden. I may seem defensive of Holden at times but that is just because I'm a fence sitter and I don't see the world through blue coloured blinkers.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:26 PM   #87
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked
A point that I pride myself on and the majority of members of this Site and Ford fans in general probably also do, is having the guts, nay, the balls to admit when beaten. If you've read most of this thread, most of us have agreed that the SS-V wins.
The method upon which the "jurnos" went about telling us is what we dont like.
BTW, for all intensive purposes, the SS-V is a new model, thw XR8 is still a 4 year old model, not really a fair comparison. But thats beside the point.
I think you've made some bold claims here.

There was near no comparison for the SS-V to win. It was all talk.

Agreed the interior in the XR8 is four years old, but the new gear box is state of the art and since the introduction of the BA, there has been two small, but significant upgrades, BA mkII and BF. Its a fair comparison as Ford charge the same money for similar car.

As for performance, I think the Xr8 would have held its head high. In recent motoring tests, it was the only car amoungst creditable opposition to crack a 13 quarter, 13.99 all be it, and with the new six speed box, it really moves.

The new Holden is heavier with nearly same or similar power to outgoing VZ, I think its far from a formality.

Bring on some creditable motoring journalism

Last edited by ADSXR8; 04-09-2006 at 04:24 PM.
ADSXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 03:33 PM   #88
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If you all read my post properly you will see that nowhere did I defend the actual video nor did I say I agree with it. As a matter of fact I don't agree with it.
I am simply making a point about how hypocritical some people are.... If a review is judged in Holden's favour all hell breaks loose about drive.com.au being dodgy and unprofessional, yet if they judge in a Ford's favour they are suddenly highly professional oracles of wisdom.
This is followed by stupid and mindless accusations about it being a Holden funded conspirasy....PLEASE! Why would Holden bother doing this when they clearly have the better product which would have won regardless.
And as a matter of fact I clearly remember reading a post/thread on this very forum about people who have had ground clearance issues with zf equipped bf's, so it's definitely not a one off. Maybe it's something ford should investigate.
Oh and Homer1, you tell me to go back to street commodores....It's funny how people jump to conclusions, I don't drive a commodore or even a Holden. I may seem defensive of Holden at times but that is just because I'm a fence sitter and I don't see the world through blue coloured blinkers.
I guess your original posts were mis-read.

But considering this test has been in the making for years, and huge bragging rights ar stake, and come up with a default win, is just ordinary. Particular as the fault (gearbox brakeage) was by no circumstance a Ford issue.

For example, if the SS-V punctured a tyre, had to put on the space saver spare, then went to the drag strip and the Xr8 blew it away because the Holden had only three wheels, absolutely nobody would give cred to the Ford win, nor should they.

These drive.com.au guys should have got another car, or scraped things all together.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:48 PM   #89
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSF6
I guess your original posts were mis-read.

But considering this test has been in the making for years, and huge bragging rights ar stake, and come up with a default win, is just ordinary. Particular as the fault (gearbox brakeage) was by no circumstance a Ford issue.

For example, if the SS-V punctured a tyre, had to put on the space saver spare, then went to the drag strip and the Xr8 blew it away because the Holden had only three wheels, absolutely nobody would give cred to the Ford win, nor should they.

These drive.com.au guys should have got another car, or scraped things all together.
I agree with what you are saying totally, however think about it, if the exact same thing had happened the other way around, would drive.com.au still be accused of being dodgy and unprofessional? I doubt it. Most people here would be sitting back laughing and bagging the crap out of the VE. That is called hypocrisy.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:55 PM   #90
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

The reason the pan is plastic is because the pan it self incorporates the gearbox filter, the pan is a throw away item.
Yes if you change the filter on the 6 speed ZF auto you throw away the pan.

done some home work on this last week, looking to have mine serviced.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post