Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-11-2009, 09:36 PM   #61
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

I love the XR6/8 sedan look. Dont like the early wheels on it though, the ones in the orange xr ute on the second page. The 5 spokes on it look better.

Hate the steering wheel and the outside door handles, prefer the smooth flush look of the BA/BF door handles.

I love the look of all the FG models, but I really hate when people dont clean their FG's, the dried dust look after its rained takes a lot away from the car. Love it when its just been cleaned and chamios dried or straight from the factory, nice wet look shine on the bodies.

Best would be the XR6 or XR8 sedan in the common blue color nice and clean.
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2009, 09:47 PM   #62
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

For a large car facelift developed on a tight budget it looks good. Sometimes it can look subtle and restrained, at other times the compromises show through a bit.

I'm worried that any facelift will highlight the difference between the XR6 & XR6T models. There have been car jounalists mentioning this in articles. The pictures of the proposed turbo front end with Evo-ish fog lamps didn't look to good to me and while Ford made a last minute decision to can it for the FG release I don't know if they will do it in the future. I like the idea of a sleeper turbo that looks similar to an XR6 with the badges removed.

One reason for the slightly conservative looks was it's initial intention to be sold as a LHD/RHD car (look at the dashboard symetry). I reckon the yanks would've loved it
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ

Last edited by Rev28K; 21-11-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2009, 09:51 PM   #63
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

I like the FG series, all round I think that it is a well put together lineup, all models are fairly different, the only issues I have are the following:

1. Base XR6 wheels (17") are horrendous. should be scrapped totally for the 18" wheels, making the 19" wheels for the turbo and XR8.

2. Carry over wheels for the FPV range, they really should have had the 5th ann' wheels, they look so much better.

3. FPV taillights, they really should look different to their Ford counterparts.

4. Lack of decent skirts on the XRs, the badge on the back doors looks a bit of an afterthought.

5. Lack of proper grab-handles on the doors, like EF through to BF had. They feel like a really solid door handle, much better than the pocket handles the FG's have.

Apart from that, I really do love the FG range, from the basic XT, which really does remind me of the BA Fairmont, to the G6ET which is the equal of any of the best from overseas, and much better than the best Holden can do.
Old 21-11-2009, 09:53 PM   #64
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev28K
For a large car facelift developed on a tight budget it looks good. Sometimes it can look subtle and restrained, at other times the compromises show through a bit.
The FG isn't a facelift.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2009, 09:55 PM   #65
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_190
3. FPV taillights, they really should look different to their Ford counterparts.
Because HSV do it?

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 21-11-2009, 10:18 PM   #66
Rev28K
re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
The FG isn't a facelift.
It's not a totally new body like the VE Commodore was either. It's sort of like what Jaguar were doing for a while tweaking and evolving old designs rather than going to the expense of a totally new body in white every 5-6 years.

If you are using the term facelift to mean just a typical mid term update with just changes to grille, lights and front rear mouldings then the FG isn't a facelift. No one can deny that there isn't a clear evolutionary line from AU - FG, just as there was from EA-EL and all the Falcon before that XR-XY, XA-XC, XD-XG, etc.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Old 21-11-2009, 10:19 PM   #67
PHATAL
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I hated them when they came out and I still do. The only series that I would give half a passing mark to would be the XRs. I still think that the FPVs have a horrible front end. To me they just look squashed up like a cartoon car. BF FTW in my opinion - But I'm biased. I had hoped that the new cars would have grown on me by now but they just haven't which is a pity. I just find myself looking at BA / BF models thinking wow that's a nice car - I just don't get that same feeling with the FGs...........

Bring on the new models with the new engines I say.

XF Falcon S Update EFI - SOLD
EL2 XR8 - SOLD
BF F6 RSPEC #139 - SOLD
Now rocking the SZ Territory Titanium Petrol Family Beast
PHATAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2009, 10:39 PM   #68
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

love the comparison between the FG and AU, you start to see where the extra 200-odd kilos is. But given i love the AU design, all I can say is that it still looks like a modern car.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2009, 10:48 PM   #69
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
It's not a totally new body like the VE Commodore was either. It's sort of like what Jaguar were doing for a while tweaking and evolving old designs rather than going to the expense of a totally new body in white every 5-6 years.

If you are using the term facelift to mean just a typical mid term update with just changes to grille, lights and front rear mouldings then the FG isn't a facelift. No one can deny that there isn't a clear evolutionary line from AU - FG, just as there was from EA-EL and all the Falcon before that XR-XY, XA-XC, XD-XG, etc.
It is a totally different body! BA was a facelift of AU but FG is completely new. It's a bigger car, with every panel being new. Just because it still bears a little resemblance to the BFII it replaced, it doesn't make it a facelift.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2009, 11:10 PM   #70
Rev28K
re

My point of view is if it's not a totally new clean sheet body shell then I call it a facelift.

The FG has a new turret, panels, front suspension, etc. But there are a lot of carryover elements from the core of the previous model.
Old 21-11-2009, 11:45 PM   #71
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My point of view is if it's not a totally new clean sheet body shell then I call it a facelift.

The FG has a new turret, panels, front suspension, etc. But there are a lot of carryover elements from the core of the previous model.
I don't exactly see a completely unique design in the VE. I see a lot of the VY/Z in the VE. It may be 'totally new', but given that fact, I think it's pretty bland.

I actually think the FG range looks better than the VE range across the board (VE Calais looks good, base models look like scheisen), and looks far, far classier.

Ford tried an all-new design with the AU, and got canned for it.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2009, 11:54 PM   #72
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
I don't exactly see a completely unique design in the VE. I see a lot of the VY/Z in the VE. It may be 'totally new', but given that fact, I think it's pretty bland.

I actually think the FG range looks better than the VE range across the board (VE Calais looks good, base models look like scheisen), and looks far, far classier.

Ford tried an all-new design with the AU, and got canned for it.

The first au's looked awful though , they got better but the really could not of expected to sell well with series 1
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2009, 11:59 PM   #73
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:

The XD used a lot of mechanicals from the XC. Do you call that a facelift?
How about that the EA used mirrors, and various dashboard bits from the XF. Is that one a facelift?

The only carryover stuff in the FG is a lot of the mechanicals, some of the wheels and interior bits.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2009, 12:11 AM   #74
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Because HSV do it?
if you buy a fpv you want it to stand out and not have xt lights
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2009, 12:35 AM   #75
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
The first au's looked awful though , they got better but the really could not of expected to sell well with series 1
The only disastrous thing was the sawtooth grille on the Forte.

When I first saw the VT (at 14), I remember thinking, "It looks like a VS, only fatter".
The AU was totally different to the E-Series.

Holden is hardly revolutionary, because each new model since the VR contains design cues from the previous model.

So while neither the FG or B-Series are completely new in terms of design, at least Ford tried something new with the AU.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 22-11-2009, 12:41 AM   #76
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain awesome
if you buy a fpv you want it to stand out and not have xt lights
It was never a problem before...

I don't think Ford need to have different lights.
The regular VE lights look like crap anyway on most models.
HSV lights do look good, but that is because the other choice is quite bad.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 22-11-2009, 12:42 AM   #77
WASP
Whipple Induced

I like the FG generally and I like the styling of my XR6T. I think it's better than the B-series from most angles but not all. Do I love it however? Unfortunately not. I think the design falls short and is too conservative. I think the VE shape is generally more desirable especially in HSV form. For a complete sheet metal change I can't help but feel they could have done so much more to make the styling more cohesive and more aggressive overall. My favourite looking models are GTE, G6ET with 19" and the XR8. I like the racoon eyes on the FPV’s but the shape of the car is not aggressive enough to make this a convincing statement. Carry over wheels and narrow rear tyres still let these models down.

A few disappointments are with the plastic egg crate grills and rear bar insert on the XR. Impossible to clean well and the plastics look like they will weather quickly. Not sure what they were thinking with that roof lining fabric either!

Colville
Old 22-11-2009, 12:49 AM   #78
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Thumbs up FG design

Well my opinion goes like this:

XT: Passable. Front bar still debatable - same with rear bar. Remove dicky bottom-only chrome window surround or put G6-spec one on.

XR: Absolute horn, front bar is perfect, lights spot-on, bonnet bulge tweaking is so subtle, but really looks more integrated - therefore natural. 17" wheels look like they belong to XT. 18" wheels perfect to me IMO. 19" wheels too plain for me. Side skirts could be sportier (ie: at least unique to XR like BA/BF). Wing perfectly integrated onto a near perfect rear - which is spoiled by the one size fits all rear bar. Mirror mounted indicators would look better - as well as a front quarter panel vent.

G6: G6 front bar is best IMO - not that G6E/G6ET bar looks bad, just a bit too much chrome for me. Headlights look the goods. Sublte vent in place of side badge would suit better (IMO). Chrome window surrounds look the goods, but they need to connect to look complete IMO. Rear lights perfect, bobtail looks like afterthought IMO - see - gulp - HSV (VE Grange) for solution. Rear bar? No comment - though it is growing on me when painted.

FPV: "Racoon Eyes" look the shiz. Whole front design really good IMO - GT-P's chrome is - again - too much for me - GT-E & F6-E much better. Mirror side repeaters for ALL models IMO, not badges and a vent for front guard. Stripe package needs a redesign in my eyes. GT wing perfect in the way it blends @ bottom and looks like part of the car, not a ricer addition ie: BA/BF. Rear lights OK. Rear bar? Yes! Perfect!!!! :O Lol!

Utes: Look almost perfect (for a cab-chassis style ute, single side like VE would look horn). Flared arches mimic F-trucks IMO - a good thing RE brand recognition! Rear the only thing too similar to AU-BF.

Interior: Finally Ford Australia hits the nail on the head! Quality on par with very recent Merc's & Beemers, though still a little bit to go until they reach Audi level. Design a step ahead of everything else - very close to Audi in terms of userbility w/ design. $$$ saved in coloured screens for every model rather than building 2 different types? Ingress / egress perfect! (Finally!) Steering wheel design very primitive, but very practical, though lit wheel controls would take it up another level. Paddle shifters for ZF a possibility - only in I6T's & V8's.

Overall: 17/20 - Hasn't aged a bit - heck people still think the FG was released last week! May saound biased, but I thought the VE made the BF (though still horn) look soo *ahem* 2002! (lol)
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-11-2009, 12:53 AM   #79
bigdude1011

Quote:
They got it right with the S-Pack though, looks good in body colour.

IMO the Series 1 Forte grille looks nicer than the boring Series 2 grille
bigdude1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2009, 12:55 AM   #80
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdude1011
They got it right with the S-Pack though, looks good in body colour.

IMO the Series 1 Forte grille looks nicer than the boring Series 2 grille
Wow, someone who agrees with me :
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2009, 12:59 AM   #81
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
I like the FG generally and I like the styling of my XR6T. I think it's better than the B-series from most angles but not all. Do I love it however? Unfortunately not. I think the design falls short and is too conservative. I think the VE shape is generally more desirable especially in HSV form.
Colville
You hit it on the nail Col as you always have a knack of doing ....I didn't want to be the first to say the VE in HSV guise looks far superior than the FG FPV models...In fact since I've had thoughts about wanting a new car I've taken a liking to the Holden HSV models especially the GTS and R8 - they get my blood pumping just like the B series FPV's did...which unfortunatelty the FG series Ford don't.. Only thing wrong with the VE GTS/R8 IMO is that they don't have a Ford badge ...
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2009, 01:07 AM   #82
MRFGXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Llove the XR shape very horn indeed. Only pain in the *** as mentioned in earlier threads is that dam rear tray above the exhaust. I painted mine black to match the rest of the car, ford should of done this with all the cars but maybe they wanted the same plastic look as with the front lower grill not to sure on that one. In all reality the designers should of made the crap lines into a honey comb look as with the front upper and lower grill. That would of tied in the front and rear together really nicely, same as with the XA-XC coupes. Currently considering cutting a couple of second hand lower grills up to make my own rear tray, not certain how it will turn out.
Overall this model has a few years in it left, with a couple of tweaks here and there it will age well.

6/6/16 build 2017 plate Race red mustang gt with white solid stripes, tint, x-force exhaust, rear spoiler, 35mm lowered Votgland springs

MRFGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2009, 01:48 AM   #83
TRUBLU4DS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Externally it still doesn't do anything for me & imo the F6 & XR6 look more sleek than the GT,GS & XR8, imo to much happening with bodylines etc on the front of the car.
TRUBLU4DS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2009, 02:09 AM   #84
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Don't forget the Forte's Hub-caps. Also the bulbous grey interior unless you optioned black on Fairmont and Ghia.

Quote:

When I first saw the VT (at 14), I remember thinking, "It looks like a VS, only fatter".
Thats Exactly what I think, except about the VE. It looks like a VR with some curves.
block58 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2009, 02:13 AM   #85
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
You hit it on the nail Col as you always have a knack of doing ....I didn't want to be the first to say the VE in HSV guise looks far superior than the FG FPV models...In fact since I've had thoughts about wanting a new car I've taken a liking to the Holden HSV models especially the GTS and R8 - they get my blood pumping just like the B series FPV's did...which unfortunatelty the FG series Ford don't.. Only thing wrong with the VE GTS/R8 IMO is that they don't have a Ford badge ...
Series 2 VE HSV's get my gut pumping. They are so damn ugly.

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 22-11-2009, 02:31 AM   #86
bigdude1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by block58
Don't forget the Forte's Hub-caps. Also the bulbous grey interior unless you optioned black on Fairmont and Ghia.
I thought those hubcaps originated from the EF. Though I do agree on the interior, looks even worse in the series 2 though
bigdude1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2009, 02:52 AM   #87
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdude1011
I thought those hubcaps originated from the EF. Though I do agree on the interior, looks even worse in the series 2 though
Nope, they were brand new AU ones.
block58 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2009, 04:28 AM   #88
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

i think so far it has aged really well, i liked them from the start and they have only grown more on me since then. people say they look like the bf, if you put both side by side they look very different. ford have done well
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2009, 10:49 AM   #89
markof

Overall, in my opinion, very good. Don't like the decal and stripe kits on Gt's.. Time for a re-design me thinks.. Had a silver decal on mine and decided after delivery it looked tacky, so promptly took off. Much happier with the result. Think BA/BF hood decals were much better.
Old 22-11-2009, 12:22 PM   #90
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My only real gripe is the penny pinching in them.
The deleted rear window brake light in the XRs, but the window still has the outline for the light!
Rear head restraints dont adjust, and theres no centre one.
No rear door pockets, no rear armrest or rear interior door lights.
Driver's seat doesnt drop low enough, nor go back far enough (VE is much better in this regard)
Boot looks cheap
No bootlid carpet (does the G6E get it?)
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post