Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-07-2010, 01:19 AM   #91
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Biggest sales month in history and Ford only gets 2651 Falcon sales...?? Bloody hell, get rid of the marketing team. There is no way that can be justified against an ageing competitor and the prices they are selling Falcons for.

Also is this the first time Cruze has outsold Falcon?
I think the car Brazen is fine, its the reputation of the company making it and the dealers selling it. Something has to give soon. Ford Aust have to bite the bullet and completely rebuild the dealer network (hello lawyers) while basically admitting in their advertising that they should have done better by the customer in the past and will do in the future.

As a brand they are simply on the nose with a lot of people in the market. A real shame given FG Falcon looks to have overcome a lot of the faults of the BA generation.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2010, 01:24 AM   #92
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8
Some car companies make a lot of cars and big profits. There is a radical thought. Apparently some Ford fans believe Ford Australia is now only capable of only one or the other.

Bit sad really. They should be capable of both. Once they were.

If they get the line speed up, and can make more cars per day then yes they should be able to sell more cars. But at the moment I wouldn't expect anything big.

This month was a poor month (which is strange seeing that they have been doing quite well in the previous months). I'm just wondering what the dealer stocks are like.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:05 AM   #93
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

if ford get their line speed up and make more cars, where are they going to store them if they dont sell them?

dealers wont buy the cars unless they need them, the holding yard in broady isnt covered anymore and isnt fords anymore either.

but ford increasing their line speed will also reduce their build quality, which will cost them sales. at the same time increasing line speed will also increase wages which i doubt ford australia want at this point in time. i think ford australia are trying to show mr mullaly that they are a profitable business so they can keep the factory open in australia and hopefully contribute to the one ford plan the mr mullaly has.

but i think ford are doing well every month even if they sell 2500 falcons, how many of those are xt's and how many are premium models? im guessing 1 in 5 are xt's because i havent seen a fg xt in atleast 3 months which is not a taxi.
yift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2010, 06:30 AM   #94
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati888
A friend of mine wanted a G6. He went to several dealers who all wanted $44K and wouldn't budge. He bought a Honda Accord Euro with way more features, on road for $34.5K.

It's a pity Falcons have to be sold by Ford dealers.
Is that for the manual or auto? If it's for the manual (which has an RRP of $33,490) then he got ripped off. But for the auto, it's a good price.

I think the equipment you get in the Accord Euro is very lacking. For $34.5k you can get a Hyundai i45 which has far more equipment. I can't believe the Euro doesn't even have a USB/iPod interface for the stereo. There's no engine start button, nor LED tail-lights. And the base model doesn't even come with leather, electric seats or reverse parking sensors. Nor does it have auto on/off headlights or wipers. ALL of these things are standard even on the mid-range i45, plus you get auto folding mirrors, a 6 speed auto, direct injection, fog lights, and much more.

For me it's a no brainer

PS - I already own one. But I'm not biased - my last 2 cars were Hondas.

Last edited by MrZ; 06-07-2010 at 06:39 AM.
MrZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2010, 07:16 AM   #95
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yift
if ford get their line speed up and make more cars, where are they going to store them if they dont sell them?
In the huge vacant lot next to Broadmeadows that used to be filled with products ready for delivery. Ford's sales are freshening but rebalancing the line is tricky and not done until absolutely necessary, that's why overtime is preferable to rebalancing in the short term.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #96
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Thank you Russell, would you have the figure for Ranger 4x4?
I see from the uploaded chart that it's around 1500....

June 2010:
Ford Falcon 2763
Falcon Ute 869
Territory 1,320
Focus 1,077
Fiesta 981
Mondeo 385
Ranger 4x4 1500 (approx)
Ranger 4x2 562

Whoo, 4952 locals......
Ranger 4x4 1,487

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2010, 11:28 AM   #97
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Biggest sales month in history and Ford only gets 2651 Falcon sales...?? Bloody hell, get rid of the marketing team. There is no way that can be justified against an ageing competitor and the prices they are selling Falcons for.

Also is this the first time Cruze has outsold Falcon?
If the popularity of the Cruse continues to grow at this rate then once it becomes local, the Falcon may not be its only victim. The Commodore could also quite easily fall on its sword after four or five years as well. Either that or the increased interest in the local Cruze may boost Commodore sales overall.
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2010, 11:31 AM   #98
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I'm totally shocked by the Falcons numbers. Territory build numbers were down and the majority of builds were Falcons all month, an overtime Saturday as well, and numbers are lower than they have been for months. Where have all the extra Falcons gone?

Unless they were being stockpiled for this weeks programmed shutdown? Can't see why they would do that though.

At least it shows things are pretty good if they are doing overtime.

I know people wax lyrical about profit over volume but in the mass-produced family car market you need both. Every time it costs you $500 million for a new model you need to spread that over the production run.

Lack of volume will kill manufacturing in Australia, not costs. As a young man I saw first hand how we couldnt compete with the economies of scale of other countries in the rolling-stock train game even though we were incredibly efficient.

The Fairlane was a $50,000 car, they werent selling them cheap but in the end it was the lack of volume which killed it.

The more you produce the less your per vehicle: factory, employee, R&D and marketing costs are. Thats why I was one of the biggest supporters of local Focus and Kuga production.

I guess as long as your profitable its the main thing, but when model upgrade comes how much do you spend on 28,000 units a year. And then it becomes a downward spiral, the less you spend, the less you sell, the less you sell, the less you spend etc etc.

Falcon needs a wagon - which wont happen. But the new ecoboost and LPG engines will give it a good kick in the butt. Falcon ute should be 1500 units a month, I will go out on a limb and say it is the best vehicle in the world in its segment.

In my opinion Ford are totally lost on what the Falcon is. The marketing message is too subtle and pretentious and dosnt connect with real Australian buyers. As much as Ford would love the Falcon to be bought by young single guys or middle aged business exectutives, in the end its a family car and that message is not been put across to all those mums and dads with a few young kids, they dont even consider a Falcon when shopping for a car. Its either a Commodore, a CRV or a Kluger seems to be the way most families think at my son's school.

Holden arnt afraid to talk about Commodores big boot, or show it with young kids and a dog in the back. I think that kind of imagery really hits the mark with a huge demographic.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2010, 11:35 AM   #99
burnz
VFII SS UTE

The top ten cars for the month were:
1. Holden Commodore (4697)
2. Toyota Corolla (4194)
3. Toyota Hilux (4101)
4. Mazda3 (3680)
5. Hyundai i30 (3209)
6. Holden Cruze (2987)
7. Ford Falcon (2651)
8. Mitsubishi Lancer (2538)
9. Volkswagen Golf (2527)
10. Nissan Navara (2415).
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2010, 12:06 PM   #100
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
In my opinion Ford are totally lost on what the Falcon is. The marketing message is too subtle and pretentious and dosnt connect with real Australian buyers.
It's a good opinion and a good observation Brazen. I think they lost their way with the release of the FG and walking fingers campaign. What the hell was that all about??? Ok they have fixed that now but it does beg the question, what is that they want the Falcon to be?

It is a pity that they just do not return to the same smart snappy advertising they did for the release of the BA (can't get enough of this). At least Uncle Geoff was a sales man first before he was a business man, and it showed.
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2010, 12:30 PM   #101
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Bud
It's a good opinion and a good observation Brazen. I think they lost their way with the release of the FG and walking fingers campaign. What the hell was that all about??? Ok they have fixed that now but it does beg the question, what is that they want the Falcon to be?

It is a pity that they just do not return to the same smart snappy advertising they did for the release of the BA (can't get enough of this). At least Uncle Geoff was a sales man first before he was a business man, and it showed.
Is it that or is it that the falcon has left a sour taste in peoples mouth for so long, yes there have been some good models but there have also been so many problems. Or is it a case of You sow what you reap. I have an XE ute but I wouldn't look at anything up to the FG.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2010, 12:42 PM   #102
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
The top ten cars for the month were:
1. Holden Commodore (4697)
2. Toyota Corolla (4194)
3. Toyota Hilux (4101)
4. Mazda3 (3680)
5. Hyundai i30 (3209)
6. Holden Cruze (2987)
7. Ford Falcon (2651)
8. Mitsubishi Lancer (2538)
9. Volkswagen Golf (2527)
10. Nissan Navara (2415).
Remember you need to add the 1,300 Terri's to that number, which brings the platform sales to around 4,000 units

+ Ute, but off teh top of my head Holden Ute is reported seperately to their Commodore range also.
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2010, 12:44 PM   #103
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Bud

Geoff spent his first years at Ford learning from quite possibly the best MD they have ever had, the father of the GT Bill Bourke. Geoff was one of his prodigy's.

I think all the extra Falcon production that was built over the last 2-3 weeks came too late to affect this months numbers as most of them wouldn't have even hit the dealers yet, they have been building a heap of the 50th anniversary FG's, and they have only just gone on sale in the last few days?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2010, 12:57 PM   #104
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Geoff spent his first years at Ford learning from quite possibly the best MD they have ever had, the father of the GT Bill Bourke. Geoff was one of his prodigy's.

I think all the extra Falcon production that was built over the last 2-3 weeks came too late to affect this months numbers as most of them wouldn't have even hit the dealers yet, they have been building a heap of the 50th anniversary FG's, and they have only just gone on sale in the last few days?
They're increasing the output of 50th's from initial projections..
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2010, 12:59 PM   #105
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

THere are 3000 imbecile's in this country that just bought a Holden Cruise

What a absolute rubbish vehicle. So Frustrating to see good local product outsold by Korean rubbish to the uneducated Australian.

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
sd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2010, 01:03 PM   #106
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Yeah I doubt the 50th Anniversary models have had an effect yet.

Maybe in the meantime they can remove those god-awful: up-themselves, pretentious ads showing people clapping at the Falcon or paparazzi taking photos of the Falcon, how smug can you get in an Ad?. And even the stupid slogan 'Ford, of course' sounds self-righteous and ****y.

Current Falcon advertising leaves me so cold to the Falcon its not funny. Awful sales results in a booming market reflects my views. I am more inspired to buy a new Falcon when watching an old daggy 'Size it up XB Falcon commercial' on Youtube than when Im watching a new Falcon ad. Show a Falcon towing a horse float, crossing a desert, overtaking a B-double, seating three kids in the back. Show the bloody car actually doing something instead of parked or pulling out of a carpark. Ford is giving me no reason to buy a Falcon over a Camry or Accord Euro or CRV or Kluger or Commodore....

I know I have mentioned marketing again and again in many threads but to me this is where Ford is failing dismally with the Falcon, just totally out of touch with mainstream Australia. Saying that buyers are stupid is nonsense, people buy what they want to buy - and Ford is giving us no reason to go out and put a new Falcon in the driveway.

Just wasteful advertising which instills no kind of romance or adventure in Falcon ownership.

Last edited by Brazen; 06-07-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2010, 02:02 PM   #107
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The second set of statistical data is now uploaded in the Tech portal.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #108
anto
Za Dom spremni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute83
In my opinion, Ford are struggling in the market because they can't make a reliable vehicle. although saying that the fg and new territory may be better. There are so many good cars made by so many companies. I would look at a new territory if it wasn't for the ball joint issues on the last model and the like. Yes other manufacturers have problems as well, like honda who have a pinging issue on the euro. Check out complaints corner to see which cars people are having trouble with, It's a real eye opener.

absolute rubbish!!!! and if in fact it were true, that reasoning would mean toyota would be teetering on bankruptcy right about now
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2010, 03:09 PM   #109
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Wont be long before the Falcon is off the top 10 list..

Holden must have registered some cars last month for their own / demo use thats for sure, theres no way they would have moved that in REAL terms!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2010, 05:50 PM   #110
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, good one ANTO. How do you compare a few recalls of late, to making problematic cars for nearly two decades?
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2010, 06:01 PM   #111
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Current Falcon advertising leaves me so cold to the Falcon its not funny. Awful sales results in a booming market reflects my views. I am more inspired to buy a new Falcon when watching an old daggy 'Size it up XB Falcon commercial' on Youtube than when Im watching a new Falcon ad. Show a Falcon towing a horse float, crossing a desert, overtaking a B-double, seating three kids in the back. Show the bloody car actually doing something instead of parked or pulling out of a carpark. Ford is giving me no reason to buy a Falcon over a Camry or Accord Euro or CRV or Kluger or Commodore....
What makes a good add to you??? Personally I think the current few have been great & do a very good job..

Bad sales does not always mean bad marketing. Bad sales usually means bad sales department!! Especially considering most of Falcon sales are fleets sales, then marketing has nothing to do with it & it is all in the hands of the sales department!!

Also Falcon has won the "most clicked" on the net, so marketing is doing its job, but the sales department is a let down!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2010, 06:49 PM   #112
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
What makes a good add to you??? Personally I think the current few have been great & do a very good job..

Bad sales does not always mean bad marketing. Bad sales usually means bad sales department!! Especially considering most of Falcon sales are fleets sales, then marketing has nothing to do with it & it is all in the hands of the sales department!!

Also Falcon has won the "most clicked" on the net, so marketing is doing its job, but the sales department is a let down!!
Sales and Marketing are like peas in a pod; the Falcon and it's I6; Bonnie and Clyde. Moreover, Sales & Marketing at Ford Australia are one division organised under one Executive Director. Sales has EVERYTHING to do with marketing.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2010, 07:11 PM   #113
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://www.caradvice.com.au/72908/to...-to-last-year/

Quote:
Toyota sales down compared to last year
By Brett Davis | July 6th, 2010

Even after dealing with thousands of recall issues, Toyota Australia has reported a profit this year of $182.3 million before tax (2009: $173.7 million) for the period April 1, 2009 to March 31, 2010. However, sales revenue for the period was down compared to last year as sales reached $8.6 billion in total compared to last year’s 2009 $8.8 billion – including export sales of $1.2 billion.

The latest news on the Lexus recall issue from Friday, which is said to affect 270,000 customers world wide, has been identified and confirmed. It’s all down to ‘variations in the manufacturing process’ Lexus say, leaving the valve springs vulnerable to breakage. Up to 1120 Australian-sold could be affected by the problem and Toyota/Lexus has said it will mail a request to the customers asking them to take their cars into a dealer and have the valve springs replaced, free of charge.

The ongoing recall issues may have caused the slump in profit-after-tax numbers, which included a one-off tax adjustment to prior years, as Toyota reported a loss of $107.9 million compared with a profit of $123.3 million during 2008-09.

President and CEO Max Yasuda said that after a flat start to the year, the second half saw Toyota Australia record a stronger than expected domestic sales result.

“The global financial crisis affected demand for Toyota vehicles, but by mid year, improved market conditions, boosted by the Federal Government’s investment allowance helped Toyota Australia achieve 214,465 domestic vehicle sales for the financial year,” he said.

“For the calendar year, Toyota was the best selling brand achieving 200,991 vehicle sales, representing a market share of 21.4 per cent. We expect market conditions to continue to improve through the rest of 2010, making our industry goal of 920,000 domestic sales achievable.”

Mr Yasuda said the past 12 months was a challenging time for Toyota Australia.

“Fluctuations in currency, price increases in raw materials, increased global competition from global car importers and global recall activity in late 2009 made local conditions difficult. Toyota Australia responded quickly to the Prius recall involving 2378 cars in the Australian market. Our dealers personally contacted customers and completed the software upgrade to 90 percent of vehicles within three weeks,” he said.

“Having participated in this recall activity, we have responded by undertaking new activities to ensure high quality standards are achieved. This includes further developing our capability for early detection of quality issues and rectification.

“Toyota Motor Corporation has formed a Special Committee for Global Quality and Toyota Australia’s manufacturing plant at Altona plays a role in this activity. We will continue to challenge ourselves to ensure we deliver the highest-quality cars to our customers.”

Mr Yasuda said that Toyota Australia’s strong performance confirmed the company’s position as market leader. “Four of the top 10 market place sellers were Toyotas; the Corolla, HiLux, Camry and Yaris,” he said.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:13 PM   #114
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...0705-zxnb.html

Quote:
Deals in June drive car sales to monthly record
STEVE COLQUHOUN
July 6, 2010

AUSTRALIANS bought more cars in June than in any other month in history, driven by record sales of SUVs.

End of financial year deals drove 108,722 cars out of showrooms, eclipsing the record set in June 2008 by more than 2000 sales.

One in every five sales in June was a family friendly SUV.

The result caused the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries (FCAI) to revise its calendar year sales estimate up from 940,000 cars to 980,000, still well shy of the record of 1,049,982 sales in 2007.

FCAI chief executive Andrew McKellar said the June result was a ''demonstration of renewed confidence in the marketplace''. He was also quick to sound a note of caution despite an encouraging year-to-date figure of 531,168 cars sold, more than 16 per cent higher than for the same time last year.

''This is a positive yet cautious outlook for the second half of the year as we assess the impact of factors on the market,'' he said.

With last year's fuel price hikes a fading memory, more than 24,500 SUVs were sold in June - almost 3000 more than the previous record in March.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:18 PM   #115
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...0705-zxp5.html

Quote:
Family cars drive sales to record
STEVE COLQUHOUN
July 6, 2010

AUSTRALIANS bought more cars last month than in any other month in history, boosted by stronger sales of sports utility vehicles than ever before.

End-of-financial year deals helped sell a total of 108,722 cars, eclipsing the record set in June 2008 by more than 2000 sales. One in every five sales last month was a family friendly SUV.

The result caused the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries to revise its calendar year sales estimate up from 940,000 cars to 980,000, still well shy of the record of 1,049,982 sales achieved in 2007.

The chamber chief executive, Andrew McKellar, said last month's result was a ''clear demonstration of renewed confidence in the marketplace''.

He was also quick to sound a note of caution despite an encouraging year-to-date figure of 531,168 cars sold, more than 16 per cent higher than for the same time last year.

''This is a positive yet cautious outlook for the second half of the year as we assess the impact of factors on the market such as previous interest rate increases,'' he said.

More than 24,500 SUVs were sold last month - almost 3000 more than the previous record set in March.

The best-selling SUV last month was Subaru's compact Forester.

Toyota remains the nation's best-selling brand with 20.2 per cent of the market, ahead of Holden (12.9) and Ford (9.3).
Old 06-07-2010, 07:34 PM   #116
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Some reports from the US and NZ.

NZ
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25775800195360

Quote:
NZ car industry caught short

Kiwi distributors order up more stock as market recovery lifts sales 15 per cent

6 July 2010

By JACQUI MADELIN in NEW ZEALAND

NEW ZEALAND’S sixth consecutive month of increased sales has prompted some industry players to predict a 82,000 new-vehicle market by year’s end, despite stock shortages.

Motor Industry Association CEO Perry Kerr says stock levels are at historic lows, but he expects the 2010 market to hold the current 15 per cent gain to the end of the year and continue its upward sales trend into 2011 as ordering recovers.

"The luxury market is doing reasonably well – not unexpected since it runs ahead of mainstream market trends – but all distributors seem to be capturing reasonable market share," he said.

Mr Kerr does not expect NZ’s Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS) to make a significant difference.

"We'd like to see ETS have a greater impact in influencing buyer choice,” he said.

The scheme is being phased in over five years, with transport using liquid fossil fuels included in the scheme from January 1, 2011.

NZ’s June year-to-date total of 39,458 passenger cars and commercials is 15.5 per cent above last year.

Toyota continues to lead the market with 21.16 per cent share, its 8351 year-to-date sales up 26.3 per cent - almost reversing its 2009 fall.

Second-placed Ford sits behind the trend, its 4245 YTD sales up 0.4 per cent for 10.76 per cent share. Holden is just 0.44 per cent back, its 4072 sales representing a 34.5 per cent rise on the same period last year, when it suffered stock shortages of Cruze.

Mazda remains fourth with 3105, a rise of 10.7 per cent to 7.87 per cent share, ahead of Hyundai with 2813 sales, up 11.1 for 10.32 per cent share.

Then comes Nissan (2610, up 17.5 per cent), Suzuki (2389, up 26.3) and Mitsubishi (2154, up 51.6).

Honda sits well back in ninth (1280, down 22.4) while VW rounds out the top 10, (1280, up 8.8 per cent).

The prime Euro marques continue to do well, with Audi up 36.3 per cent and BMW, up 39.4 per cent. Mercedes dropped 8.1 per cent - against a comparatively good first-half result in 2009.

Mitsubishi has made all the ground it lost last year – and more.

NZ sales and marketing manager Warren Brown said the market was ahead of early predictions, and he expected more of the same for Mitsubishi too - with ASX launching on August 1.

However, the market was still fragile and susceptible to outside influences, he said.

"Confidence is improving in both the private and fleet market, but it's cautious and it wouldn't take much to sit it on its bum again," he said, predicting a year-end rise of 10-to-12 per cent over 2009.

Suzuki marketing general manager Tom Peck expects 2010 to end 15 per cent up. He says buyers are still conservative: "There's a lot of disruption with ETS, GST changes and tax cuts, so we don't see the market recovering to pre-2009 levels - it'll be a two or three-year uphill climb."

Mr Peck said sales lagged behind confidence as buyers took longer to close a sale.

"We're not getting walk-in buyers; they're studying the market, and the buyer process is taking longer," he said. Market leader Toyota NZ’s chief executive Alistair Davis is buoyant after minimal impact from the global recall scandal.

"We did a lot of media interviews but customer demand didn't let up and recent research shows people trust us as much as they ever did,” he said.

“I think customers make judgments based on their own experience. One-in-four New Zealanders drives a Toyota and by and large they are good product. You earn customer trust car by car and experience by experience."

He expects supply constraints approaching year end. "We made our ordering judgment some time back and have been surprised how quickly the market has bounced back.

"I think NZ is benefiting from sitting alongside Australia, which is enjoying a mining boom, and Asia which is enjoying economic bounce from being a developing region.

"New Zealand can be buffeted around by global flows of money and debt, but Australia and Asia are shielding us from the vicissitudes of the US and Europe."

Ateco Automotive NZ Ltd is already chronically short of stock.

But Citroen's C3 and DS3 are due next month, Alfa Romeo Mito automatics in October, then Giulietta shortly after and Chery launches three cars by year’s end.

It expects plenty of customer interest to spin off into existing models.

"In the last quarter, we'll come out all guns blazing," said Ateco general manager Lawrie Malatios.

As for monthly performance, June's 8004 sales were up 30.8 per cent on last June, which was the lowest since Motor Industry Association sales records began in 1975.

Biggest mainstream movers for the month were Mitsubishi - up 57.2 per cent to 426 sales - and Toyota, up 48.9 to 2108, while Honda continued its slide, ending in 12th for the month behind Kia and VW.

Honda NZ managing director Graeme Seymour insists the brand remains "comfortable" with performance given the private market is still slow.

"We'll see some lift because we launch Insight later in the year, but the market is tough and we're not expecting miracles."

Most popular models year to date are Toyota's Corolla, followed by Suzuki Swift and Holden Commodore.

NZ top 10 makes June 2010
Rank Make Sales % Share
1 Toyota 2108 26.3%
2 Ford 888 11.1%
3 Holden 734 9.2%
4 Hyundai 608 7.6%
5 Nissan 538 6.7%
6 Mazda 515 6.4%
7 Mitsubishi 426 5.3%
8 Suzuki 394 4.9%
9 Subaru 279 3.5%
10 Kia 210 2.6%
Old 06-07-2010, 07:37 PM   #117
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

The US

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257757008210AC

Quote:
US sales soften with 14 per cent June rise

Consumer confidence weighs on US sales as post-GFC growth tapers off in June

6 July 2010

By TERRY MARTIN

CAR company executives and industry analysts in the United States are predicting a long and possibly volatile recovery period from the global economic crisis after new-vehicle sales rose a softer-than-expected 14 per cent last month, to 983,821 units.

Considered an unremarkable result when consumer confidence was at close to a 30-year low at the same point last year, the US car industry’s sales performance last month included lower gains from the biggest-selling car-makers than those experienced earlier this year.

GM recorded 194,716 sales for the month to again take market honours, but its 11 per cent rise over June 2009 – a month in which it was still in Chapter 11 bankruptcy – was below the industry average and its second-smallest monthly gain for the year.

The company was, however, quick to point out that its four core brands in the ‘New GM’ era – that is, Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac – experienced a combined sales increase of 36 per cent.

Ford, meanwhile, failed in its bid to record a seventh successive monthly increase of more than 20 per cent, collecting a 13 per cent rise in June sales with 175,690 units.

In a month in which it announced it was axing its 72-year-old Mercury brand later this year, Ford again found its F-Series pick-up truck forming the backbone of its sales performance, up 29 per cent, with smaller-volume passenger cars such as Taurus chipping in (up 191 per cent, to 6607).

Ford, Lincoln and Mercury brand sales were up a combined 15 per cent for the month, while Volvo was down 29 per cent.

Toyota, in third place, experienced only a 6.8 per cent increase in June, to 140,604 sales, with Toyota brand sales up 7.4 per cent (to 123,272) and Lexus climbing just 2.7 per cent (to 17,332).

While a handful of niche brands such as Porsche (2141 units, up 137 per cent), Jaguar Land Rover (4408, up 53 per cent) and Maserati (180 units, up 61 per cent) found form, Chrysler was again the standout improver among the high-volume manufacturers with a 35 per cent rise in sales for the month, to 92,482.

“This 35 per cent increase in year-over-year sales shows that we continue to build on our sales momentum,” said Chrysler Group’s lead executive for US sales, Fred Diaz, who said further growth was anticipated in July now that dealer deliveries of the all-new Jeep Grand Cherokee were ramping up. The US market is up 17 per cent overall for the first half of trading this calendar year, to 5.615 million, with GM the only Detroit car-maker to have cracked a million units YTD, on 1,077,601.

GM’s 14 per cent growth rate YTD is, however, only about half that of its arch-rival Ford, which despite last month’s blip is still 27 per cent ahead after the first six months (to 981,352 units), thanks to a 34 per cent rise YTD for the F-Series – the biggest-selling vehicle in the US and the only one to have surpassed 200,000 sales in the first half of 2010 (currently at 240,345).

Toyota’s sales have climbed 10 per cent YTD, to 846,542, prompting Toyota Motor Sales USA president Jim Lentz to comment: “Toyota performed well during the first half of the year, despite a difficult economic environment.

“Although the entire automotive industry struggled in June as weakening consumer confidence weighed on sales, Toyota maintains its leadership position as the number one retail brand in the industry year-to-date.”

Honda holds down fourth position YTD on 593,909 sales, up 12 per cent, while Chrysler has also climbed 12 per cent to be in fifth position, with 527,219 sales.

The seasonally adjusted annual sales rate for the US car industry – compiled by Bloomberg and based on the average of eight analysts’ estimates – was 11.1 million in June, although some car companies are predicting a better result come December 31.

GM’s official forecast, for example, remains at between 11.3 and 11.8 million sales.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:00 PM   #118
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Sales and Marketing are like peas in a pod; the Falcon and it's I6; Bonnie and Clyde. Moreover, Sales & Marketing at Ford Australia are one division organised under one Executive Director. Sales has EVERYTHING to do with marketing.
You should try sitting in on sales & marketing review in the company I work for!! Sitting in from a finance point of view it is fun to watch them “go” at it. And this in a very successful company, I can only image what it would be like in an unsuccessful one.

They might be peas in a pod, but so is the Commodore & Falcon, yet they are still bitter competitors!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2010, 08:34 PM   #119
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
You should try sitting in on sales & marketing review in the company I work for!! Sitting in from a finance point of view it is fun to watch them “go” at it. And this in a very successful company, I can only image what it would be like in an unsuccessful one.

They might be peas in a pod, but so is the Commodore & Falcon, yet they are still bitter competitors!!
Oh don't worry, I've been there too although I was on the marketing side. Actually, technically I was on the operations side. You do kind of worry about those marketing types when they can't see the wood for the trees, or understand why their you-beaut marketing strategy devised with all their postgrad PHd's or whatever will be a complete and utter operational failure because they failed to consult with their customers or the sector first!!

As for Commodore and Falcon, I prefer the term "equal stakeholders" in the RWD mafia

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2010, 09:16 PM   #120
sxckevo
Ford motor company

?????? question marks fill my head so much, how has the cruze become so big so quick?????? I don't know about pricing but is it really that much cheaper than the competition? What's the quailty like on them

WORK CAR: RED 1996 manual XG ute
sxckevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post