Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-02-2008, 08:57 PM   #91
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

who said it needs a whole new bumper? A Insert and pods on the bar would do. Just a little something to make it visualy different from a TT
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 09:09 PM   #92
XR8putts

Just to add to my above argument, the wheels. Now they're all new. They're 18 inches, if I'm not mistaken the original (BA) Typhoon wheels were 18s, remember how aggresive they were? Now have Ford spent the money to make an all new alloy wheel design for thew F6X - but is that the best deisgn they could come up with?! Like I said, good design dosn't cost money, first thing they taught us at Architecture school.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 09:21 PM   #93
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99
Just to add to my above argument, the wheels. Now they're all new. They're 18 inches, if I'm not mistaken the original (BA) Typhoon wheels were 18s, remember how aggresive they were? Now have Ford spent the money to make an all new alloy wheel design for thew F6X - but is that the best deisgn they could come up with?! Like I said, good design dosn't cost money, first thing they taught us at Architecture school.
Ever gone off road with low profile 20's?

Old 01-02-2008, 09:26 PM   #94
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Ever gone off road with low profile 20's?

I think he is saying you don’t need 20 inch rims to look good. I read it as he thought the original F6 rims were an aggressive design and that size doesn't dictate design.

Perhaps I read it wrong.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 09:28 PM   #95
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

I really don't think they created a 270kw turbo softroader to go off road 4Vman. Do you ask yourself the same question of the BMW X5 or Porsche Cayenne or Audi Q7?
Old 01-02-2008, 09:30 PM   #96
Tles
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
So what demographic is it aimed at?

Considering that most Territories are employed on the Mum's Taxi run, I'm struggling to actually pick a demograph that would be interested in the TTG, let alone an FPV.
We have 3 kids under 5 so could've run Mum's Taxi Co with any SUV, 4WD or people mover out there - We had a SX AWD Ghia before and it was very nice transport, Escapes before that too. We'd looked at options like a X5 or a Prado and Corolla, XR6T, Outback, Discovery... - nothing really wrong with any of them. Finally they released the Terri Turbos - I had to have one. if you don't get it I don't give a rats.... like most of the other owner's and "would love one" guys I know. A TTG doesn't just move the kids, it moves you too. I have a vehicle which makes me smile whenever I pick up the keys, even refilling means you had a chance to enjoy her.
She is a good honest, accomodating redheaded mistress. An elegant and enjoyable, even refreshing, companion. Comfortable and forgiving. Yet she can pick up her skirts when called upon and give a red hot going over that keeps you coming back for more. Not to many times in life that so much is delivered with so little compromise required in return.

The F6X is better than I expected, though I would love if it had XR style headlights at least. I would buy one, but no not brand new. 18 months - 4 years old no probs. I would certainly expect that the value then would remain above that of the TTG, but then that is a lot of car for the money, and will remain so. I know plenty of guys who would and could do the same. This should mean that the Novating guys who lease them first get a great deal at their changeover, as there is a ready willing used market.

As for the number of threads on the F6X, I would like to know roughly how many Turbo Territories are sold each month versus how many Turbo Falcons? I know there are whole forums on XRs and Typhoons, darn good Forums.
Tles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 09:36 PM   #97
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
I think he is saying you don’t need 20 inch rims to look good. I read it as he thought the original F6 rims were an aggressive design and that size doesn't dictate design.

Perhaps I read it wrong.
Ok.. My apologies if i misinterpreted it.

blackout.. the Euro SUV's are built to contend primarily with the snow..
We have a different environment in Australia.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:37 PM   #98
HSE2

I wouldn't know. My recent track record isn't good.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 09:40 PM   #99
Poetic Justice

So nothing about those said vehicles included 20" wheels as a part of style?
Old 01-02-2008, 09:42 PM   #100
XR8putts

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant that the new 18s look like shyte whereas the original F6 sedan 18s were sexy as hell, both the same size. Both would've have cost the same to produce. Now why couldn't they make the F6X wheels that good?
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 09:48 PM   #101
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant that the new 18s look like shyte whereas the original F6 sedan 18s were sexy as hell, both the same size. Both would've have cost the same to produce. Now why couldn't they make the F6X wheels that good?
Fair point.. which is why i commented in my original post that i wasnt a fan of the wheels or optional stripes! fortunately wheels are easily changed and the stripes are optional.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:19 PM   #102
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
The answer is 42 but I am not sure that is actually the question........
Im not talking about whether that is the question, but that was MY question. You make me wonder with some of your posts, your name suits u i think mouth just flaps
Old 01-02-2008, 10:50 PM   #103
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You do realise that the majority of Australians do not live in Sydney suburbs don't you?

Or maybe there are AUs and BA that I didn't see in places where I don't live......
likewise, im sure you realise that the majority of Australians can not afford to drop 75,000 on an SUV either. Also, I would be very suprised if the majority of territorys were not sold to metropolitan customers.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 10:57 PM   #104
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
likewise, im sure you realise that the majority of Australians can not afford to drop 75,000 on an SUV either. Also, I would be very suprised if the majority of territorys were not sold to metropolitan customers.
Im sure this Terri isnt aimed at the majority of Australians either... just a select small identified market segment....

Old 01-02-2008, 11:23 PM   #105
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

To give you a rundown on what's involved in a redesigned bumper;

1. New moulds/stamping tools
2. likely to require different mounting holes/points to inner skin, so would require updated robot programs
3. Mass of new bumper likely to be different, there for would require airbag sensor recalibration, and revalidation of front/offset crash tests
4. Airflow validation and a myriad of other validation tests.

A front/rear bumper change would cost 5-10 million!

ok i've said my bit from a corporate/ford world perspective.

I will now tell you what i think from an enthusiast point of view, which i still consider myself to be....

I would have liked to see a better executed rim design, and more power to keep it inline with Orion FPV's! I haven't given it enough thought to establish whether i think it should have shelved because of these short falls. I guess the answer to that would be the sales.

In saying that, i think they'll sell as there is always that person that wants the best at the time. Let's not forget, Territory has another 12-18 months to run, so it's timing although out of sequence with Orion sedan, is still meaningful from a Territory platform.

Let's just see where it ends up.

A positive to come from it, at least it's now part of the FPV range, where we can expect an evolution of this come the new Territory.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 11:27 PM   #106
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE50 056
Im not talking about whether that is the question, but that was MY question. You make me wonder with some of your posts, your name suits u i think mouth just flaps
So long and and thanks for all the fish..........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 11:29 PM   #107
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
In a world where 25 year old kids can get finance for a 75k GT, I am sure they will sell.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:46 PM   #108
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM
To give you a rundown on what's involved in a redesigned bumper;

1. New moulds/stamping tools
2. likely to require different mounting holes/points to inner skin, so would require updated robot programs
3. Mass of new bumper likely to be different, there for would require airbag sensor recalibration, and revalidation of front/offset crash tests
4. Airflow validation and a myriad of other validation tests.

1. yes
2. No, they would just use the original ones, like HSV
3. A plasic bar cover should have a huge degree of affect on airbag sensors, as it is purely cosmetic, and not a structual part of the car.
4. Well, they might, but on computer. Prolly wouldn't worry to much about it.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:47 PM   #109
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
In a world where 25 year old kids can get finance for a 75k GT, I am sure they will sell.
Mining boom?
Old 01-02-2008, 11:53 PM   #110
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
2. No, they would just use the original ones, like HSV
Well that would depend on the design and massing of the new bumper. I'm using worst case scenario.

Quote:
3. A plasic bar cover should have a huge degree of affect on airbag sensors, as it is purely cosmetic, and not a structual part of the car.
If it's massed differently, it has to be done.

Quote:
4. Well, they might, but on computer. Prolly wouldn't worry to much about it.
Not allowed to validate with CAE only. Need real world correlation.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2008, 11:59 PM   #111
MRJUCY
Fordless

It seems odd to launch it with 270kw when the Falcon turbo range has you would assume a power hike just around the corner.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2008, 12:14 AM   #112
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks for the immature personal attack, but where I work, most are busy off buying Mercs and BMWs. In fact, it might shock you, but both the SUV market and the large car market are generally in decline, and most people outside the car enthusiast community generally do see Falcons as fleet cars and taxis - it certainly does drive me up the wall, don't get me wrong, I would take a Falcon over a C200 anytime, but that's not the point. It's all about perception, and if you have the money and everyone else is going European.... what would you most likely go? Call it yuppie peer pressure but sometimes the extra cost for the build quality would be worth it.

Why would a 25 year old be interested in an F6X?

Why would a 35 year old accountant be interested in an F6X?

Why would a 45 year old want an F6X? What does it offer over a TTG except 30kw, different mags, stripes and bigger brakes? Why would I pay a premium $75,000 on an outgoing model when I could buy a brand new Q7 for $4,000 more?

I'm also a bit dissapointed Flappist, usually I agree with your posts.

Last edited by Dave_au; 02-02-2008 at 12:30 AM.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2008, 12:26 AM   #113
Fordmuscle1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM

A positive to come from it, at least it's now part of the FPV range, where we can expect an evolution of this come the new Territory.
Look at the History of most models, The first attempt is usually the worst attempt compared to the modern versions they have today! Think 3-4 years down the track what a weopon this SUV will be. "BRING ON THE EURO'S AND THE YANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :
1989 F250 V8
Previous Rides
Black G220 Dumped
93 Black ED XR6

04 Territory, 20's, Black, Bling
94 NC Barge, Dumped, 17's
93 EB S, Dumped, 17's

86 Barge, Dumped, 17's
86 Cruiser of Land!
86 XF Wagon, Bull Bar, Raised, Salt Lake cruiser!
82 XE Sedan, Dumped, 15's
74 XB Coupe, 18's
73 XB Sedan
61 XK Wagon, old school.
78 Cortina.

Projects
65 Zephyr, Tubbed, 289, Simmons
65 Mustang LT Project
Fordmuscle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2008, 12:32 AM   #114
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmuscle1965
Look at the History of most models, The first attempt is usually the worst attempt compared to the modern versions they have today! Think 3-4 years down the track what a weopon this SUV will be. "BRING ON THE EURO'S AND THE YANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :

true that, gosh remeber the fist BA gt... sleep:
Old 02-02-2008, 08:15 AM   #115
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks for the immature personal attack, but where I work, most are busy off buying Mercs and BMWs. In fact, it might shock you, but both the SUV market and the large car market are generally in decline, and most people outside the car enthusiast community generally do see Falcons as fleet cars and taxis - it certainly does drive me up the wall, don't get me wrong, I would take a Falcon over a C200 anytime, but that's not the point. It's all about perception, and if you have the money and everyone else is going European.... what would you most likely go? Call it yuppie peer pressure but sometimes the extra cost for the build quality would be worth it.

Why would a 45 year old want an F6X? What does it offer over a TTG except 30kw, different mags, stripes and bigger brakes? Why would I pay a premium $75,000 on an outgoing model when I could buy a brand new Q7 for $4,000 more?

I'm also a bit dissapointed Flappist, usually I agree with your posts.
That was not a personal attack at all. I was pointing out that in this day and age anyone can buy anything so the market is a lot wider then you would think.
My 19yo previous receptionist bought a new pursuit (mostly because she liked the colour I think). She is now 24, her husband is 25, married with a child, drives a Terri and is concidering buying the F6X.
My current receptionist has 3 VL turbos she is restoring.

If you wanted a FPV but spent 50% of your time driving on dirt roads what model would you buy? I can tell you from personal experience that GT-Ps and Typhoons are not real good in the dirt.
Why would a 45 year old want an GT? What does it offer over a XR8 except 30kw, different mags, stripes and bigger brakes?
Why yould you buy a Q7 when if you had a 800km trip to get for any servicing done, not everyone liives in a city?
Why would anyone buy a ute (Pursuit/SP) and NEVER carry anything in the back of it?

Maybe THEY think it is a good idea and just want one.

Think outside the square......
Old 02-02-2008, 08:52 AM   #116
Poetic Justice

Quote:

The same could be said about a lot of things.. My old man wanted something spacious, sporty and could still feel good in... had driven a Territory Ghia only to find that it was too boring (but good as an SUV) compared to the 350z he was just getting out of.

His reaction was to buy an F6 becasuse it still had a bit of fun in it... But my oath he was disappointed when a month later ford launched the Territory Turbo.

Some people actually do what the car, regardless of its actual capabilities. If anyone is purchasing a BMW X5, Audi Q7, Porsche Cayenne or FPV F6X to go off road they are kidding themselves!

And in regards to those that make comments like "Why buy an F6X when the change will modify a TTG for you?" That is purely just an enthusiasts point which I don't think is the whole of FPV's target audience now is it? As a company that sells car they need to appeal to the market, the buyers, and not purely the enthusiasts who want to comment about the car but not buy. For instance, again using my Father as an example, he wouldn't be out to buy a car and modify it - ever. Factory backed warranty, factory backed performance and luxury that isn't a risk to him? That's what he wants and if he was now in the market for a Territory then the F6X would be for him as an overall package of performance, luxury AND warranty.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:03 AM   #117
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout
The same could be said about a lot of things.. My old man wanted something spacious, sporty and could still feel good in... had driven a Territory Ghia only to find that it was too boring (but good as an SUV) compared to the 350z he was just getting out of.

His reaction was to buy an F6 becasuse it still had a bit of fun in it... But my oath he was disappointed when a month later ford launched the Territory Turbo.

Some people actually do what the car, regardless of its actual capabilities. If anyone is purchasing a BMW X5, Audi Q7, Porsche Cayenne or FPV F6X to go off road they are kidding themselves!
Most people identfy what they want from a vehicle and shop for "best fit".....
I can't for the life of me understand how a sports coupe or sedan and sports SUV could fall onto the same radar without posing severe compromises to someones "identified requirements" at either end of the scale.. they're simply very different types of vehicles for different requirements...

Old 02-02-2008, 10:13 AM   #118
Poetic Justice

True, but not everyone needs a car to fulfill absolute circumstances.

My old man sold his 350z because of its impracticality of having only two seats given he'd passed his AU down to me and was left with just that car. At this time he considered a Territory because he thought he may be able to pull a boat, or if possible go for a drive on Fraser Island or so forth. Wasn't absolutely necessary but I guess that it came down to the fact he wanted a boat so wanted something that could tow..
Old 02-02-2008, 10:24 AM   #119
zebby

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebby
"and the option of ‘F6X 270’ stripes".

"The latter has been included at the behest of boss Rod Barrett, despite the view of some within the company that stripes on an FPV should be limited to V8-powered vehicles".

So that was what Rod meant, when he said he had listened to feedback from the Sydney Motor Show, and was doing something about it.

The FPV Falcon range has been previewed by design sketches that were found on a rubbish tip and published widely in August 2007. However, Barrett, who only joined FPV that month, says he has wrought more changes to the look since then.

“When it comes out and when you see it, you’ll see things that I’ve done so you can say, ‘That’s a Rod Barrett FPV,” says the Ford performance boss.

“Some people will probably say, ‘How did you do that?’

Have I heard this somewhere before???
zebby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2008, 10:27 AM   #120
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout
True, but not everyone needs a car to fulfill absolute circumstances.

My old man sold his 350z because of its impracticality of having only two seats given he'd passed his AU down to me and was left with just that car. At this time he considered a Territory because he thought he may be able to pull a boat, or if possible go for a drive on Fraser Island or so forth. Wasn't absolutely necessary but I guess that it came down to the fact he wanted a boat so wanted something that could tow..
I'll give you 2 average scenarios's:
a) 36 year old single male who lives in the burbs, never goes near dirt and rarely has more than 1 passenger, he wants a fast flashy looking Performance vehicle.
b) 36 year old married male, with 3 kids, has a company car, a fishing boat and 2 car garage and a holiday place down the coast, he also wants a fast performance vehicle, but up till now has had very limited options, the catch is it has to be their second car, haul the kids, be his wifes car, tow a boat and transend rough country roads..
Which one buys the F6X and which one buys the GT (or 350Z)..?
I just can't see how both types of vehicles would ever really be on the same radar...