Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #91
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
Does anyone know how magnets work?
Charge your car negativley? then all other cars are repelled!

Subaru Outback '02
Old 03-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #92
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

It is your opinion and i can't see any other issue than yours and others driving ability . I have never in my life had an issue with a vehicle but have with the driver ! I won't ride my blackbird in the city as quite frankly the mass drive like idiots , obviously with little regard for life and limb . I get 10th to 12 litres to the hundred in my monster 150 prado with awesome visibility ,brakes better than both my falcons so I really don't get the hysteria ?gunna be a right pain when I drive on holidays to stop and store my 4wd at city limits hire a vehicle and trailer ,as all my holiday stuff would not fit in a car,do the city stop then do the reverse to get back to my 4wd ,only to get around the city on a bypass that could be an extra couple hundred klm hmmm . I think people might wanna try to learn to drive !!!
Old 03-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #93
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Like my ex boss, latest series land cruiser who lives in the city with his wife and daughter.....
Old 03-03-2011, 02:13 PM   #94
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduce XR6
lol you really have not read this thread though have you

If you had you would see many reasons why people dont think large 4WD's should be driven in the city & it is not ground clearance

For me I understand both sides of the argument however what I dislike re 4WD's is the black clouds of diesel which I have read on this very forum some 4WD owners like to do for fun to car drivers behind them (stick it in a high gear & floor it to make smoke), the fact that at intersections drivers of Large 4WD's go as far forwards as they can when they would have no trouble seeing a foot or 2 back & block the view of cars next to them to oncoming traffic, people who drive them way too fast for the vehicle they are or who cant handle them properly as there skills are very low or the fact when behind them you cant see through the windows to see up the road in front as you can when following most cars.
As for car drivers behaving badly I have also seen many large 4WD drivers doing the same.
Would I won one & drive it in a city, yes I would though I would be more considerate of others around me while doing so

4x4 are too long --- Falcon, Commodore, 300c, Bmw 5 & 7, Merc S & E, Audi A6 & A8 Bentleys, Jaguars, Toyota Aurion, Mitsu Magna, Are as long or longer then many 4x4's.

4x4 are too hard to see past --- Vans, large utes, buses, trucks are also hard to see past.

4x4 Uses too much fuel --- Every car with a v8, v10, v12 will uses as much fuel or more then some 4x4's. Even some cars V6's will use more fuel then a 4x4.

4x4 too dangerous in a crash --- Modern 4x4 have more crumple zones then old cars. Trucks, busses, vans are going to make as much or more damage to a pedestrian / car.
Any car, ute, van, bus, truck with a bullbar is going to hurt a pedestrian as much as a bullbar on a 4x4.

The problem is attitude, not 4x4's.

If people only bought cars they need this site wouldn't exist.
No body needs a 300kw V8 Family sedan. But we have that because we like it.
Most people would have white Corollas if that bought what they needed.
Bigger families would have white Camrys,
massive families would have white Taragos,
Tradies and people towing stuff would have white Hilux,
and other businesses would have white Hiaces.

Most people choose the vehicle they drive because they like it.

Not long ago on the Central Coast I saw a older women (about 60 years old) in a Merc ML 4x4. How could an old lady need a gas guzzling 4x4?
Oh wait she was on a dirt road towing a horse trailer very close to the city if you can call Central Coast a city.
I bet it is the same car she drives to bingo and to the local woolworths.

Just because you see a 4x4 in the city. Doesn't mean they only drive in city. You don't follow the same person everyday to check whereabouts they are taking their 4x4. It's not your concern where they take it anyway.

Last edited by Ben73; 03-03-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:28 PM   #95
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Wow... So much hatred towards fellow road users...
Old 03-03-2011, 02:35 PM   #96
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
4x4 Uses too much fuel --- Every car with a v8, v10, v12 will uses as much fuel or more then some 4x4's. Even some cars V6's will use more fuel then a 4x4.
*loves having a 700km range round town only*
Old 03-03-2011, 03:00 PM   #97
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
Every car handles differently to the next... stops differently to the next... and parks differently to the next...

What a 'duh' thing to say!??!?!
You didn't answer my question. I asked "what's going to be different on the test?" If you are going to make the licensing different, then come up with a different way to test them! A Porsche handles differently and stops differently to a Kia Optima. Should they require different licenses too?

These anti-4x4 people just can't come up with a logical argument. Are people really that sad about what other people drive? For freak's sake, get a life people!
Old 03-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #98
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

HAHA, people that can not afford 4X4's are such sucky babies

How about have a spoon of concrete and harden up sucky babies, oh they are so scary and big They should not be allowed to have them, evil evil 4x4 owners

Why are the owners of buzz boxes concerned about my finances, why is it their business if I can afford the rego or petrol??? How about worry about your own back yard and stay out of other peoples business
Old 03-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #99
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2 fuel usage figures to throw in the pot here

1980 MQ nissan patrol wagon 3.3 diesel 4 speed
(500,000Ks on motor ,never been rebuilt)
Highway 10L/100Ks

1997 4.2 petrol auto
(200,000 Ks on original motor)
between 20-25L/100Ks

So the ol diesel slug gets better economy than most new cars

The petrol uses more than the average V8 car
So depending what make/brand/model/engine the 4x4 is,
Economy can differ and differ alot

The issue again with different licencing,again u cant compare a LR/HR licence to a 4x4
I can drive a truck 4.495T GVM on a car licence,
Even pull a fully laden trailer of the back also
Total 6.5 T all on a car licence
4x4s with a safe loaded trailer mite get to 6.5 T
So that dont really wash either

edit:
Just checked the rego sticker on my MK patrol ute
2050 KG from factory
Then add,sidesteps,bullbar,snorkel,spotties,big wheels and tyres
It adds up
Old 03-03-2011, 03:13 PM   #100
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
4x4 are too long --- Falcon, Commodore, 300c, Bmw 5 & 7, Merc S & E, Audi A6 & A8 Bentleys, Jaguars, Toyota Aurion, Mitsu Magna, Are as long or longer then many 4x4's.

4x4 are too hard to see past --- Vans, large utes, buses, trucks are also hard to see past.

4x4 too dangerous in a crash --- Modern 4x4 have more crumple zones then old cars. Trucks, busses, vans are going to make as much or more damage to a pedestrian / car.
Any car, ute, van, bus, truck with a bullbar is going to hurt a pedestrian as much as a bullbar on a 4x4.

Not long ago on the Central Coast I saw a older women (about 60 years old) in a Merc ML 4x4. How could an old lady need a gas guzzling 4x4?
Oh wait she was on a dirt road towing a horse trailer very close to the city if you can call Central Coast a city.
I bet it is the same car she drives to bingo and to the local woolworths.

Just because you see a 4x4 in the city. Doesn't mean they only drive in city. You don't follow the same person everyday to check whereabouts they are taking their 4x4. It's not your concern where they take it anyway.
You have not answered my points on why Large 4WD's annoy me or in your counter told us why a person who lives & only drives in the city needs a large 4WD vehicle?

Or should 5 ft tall women who are nervous drivers with little skill drive a large 4WD coz they need a large vehicle to feel safe when this only serves to endanger other road users?

Vans, large utes, buses have a reason to be used.

I did say I would own & drive a large 4WD in a city however I forgot to add not if I lived in a city & was never going to go on bush roads or tow a boat or trailer etc

Last edited by Seduce XR6; 03-03-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:17 PM   #101
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh the other thing is many of these older & large diesel 4WD's may be ok on fuel but they take off from lights like damm fire breathing turtles all huffing & puffing making smoke all over the place but so damm slow you can almost catch a cold waiting for them to get to 60 :P

And these people who own them wonder why we don't like being behind them
Old 03-03-2011, 03:20 PM   #102
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkbits
Ban trucks & delivery vehicles as well while we're at it.
My employer supplies me one. I use it for what it is designed for 50% of the time, i have no problems parking it and have a better view of surrounding cars whilst driving.
As far as fuel costs & economy. I drive a D40 Navara and get over 700km's to a tank with a mixture of city & outer suburbs driving.
Luckily i was in my 4WD today at work.
I had to retrieve a Kia Pregio tray that got bogged whilst trying to pull out a forklift that was already bogged.
All in down town Young St, Frankston.

Don't think a Nissan micra would have been much use.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:22 PM   #103
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Please keep the 4x4 bashing coming, in fact can people become even more vocal, ring the talk back shows, write to their politicians, join The Greens, what ever it takes! I want to buy a 200 series Landcruiser and would appreciate any assistance in the devaluing of the vehicle, with your help a lower purchase price may be achieved.

BTW I'm keeping the current 105 series Landcruiser, specifically to go bush bashing and shooting. Meanwhile the Mrs is keeping her CX-9 (which she uses to haul the kids about). Interestingly the CX-9 uses more fuel than the 105 but who cares.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-03-2011, 03:29 PM   #104
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot
We have 4 kids and owning a van is just sad..
This is a valid point - if you want 3 rows of seats, you have the choice of a minivan which is a depressing choice for most people, or an SUV, which has uses for towing and going off-road to varying degrees depending on your choice. Going from a sedan to a minivan is like trading in an FPV GT for a Camry and taking to wearing cardigans. It says, "I am waiting to die", because you certainly aren't going to be having any fun in it.

I've driven a current shape Land Rover Discovery and a '98 Landcruiser briefly - but I'll stick with my Falcon thank you very much.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:30 PM   #105
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Really is a pointless thread ........ who buys what ever for what ever reason is up to the person who decides to buy whatever for what ever reason! If anyone gets frustrated and annoyed about another 'class' of driver should walk in now and hand their licence in as its so obvious you should not be in charge of a vehicle. If I am in a 4X4, HI Ace, panelvan, Smart car or what ever and you can't handle it ..... get off the road as you should NOT be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduce XR6
Not the same as comparing a large 4WD to a car ya fool
Great ..... now we need a license to drive a 2 door, 4 door..... big car, little car...... 5.0lt ...... 1.3 lt...... 4X4, 2X4, All wheel drive ..... RAV4, Landcruiser ..... old car, new car ....... ABS, Non ABS ........ Turbo, non turbo ....

I think you get the idea and I would be careful about calling anyone a fool on here.

Now I will go and jump in my 600HP NOS registered family Landau and drive at 80kph ...... WHY? None of your business .............

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-03-2011, 03:31 PM   #106
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

man i was so bad swingin a 30ft furniture truck through the city the other week..... didnt even have any furniture in the back.......
Old 03-03-2011, 03:33 PM   #107
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
man i was so bad swingin a 30ft furniture truck through the city the other week..... didnt even have any furniture in the back.......
irrelevent, it's not even a 4wd. Trucks in the city are just fine

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:39 PM   #108
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Um ...... Why?

Actually it was a rhetorical question. No need to answer as stated below in next post ...........

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Auslandau; 03-03-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:44 PM   #109
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
you missed my point.. who really gives a rats about what people get around in.......
Old 03-03-2011, 03:58 PM   #110
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I was trolling kind of, but ok. hahaha.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:59 PM   #111
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

i read a study that showed if as a pedestrian you were to be run over it is better to be hit buy a 4wd as you go under than a car as you get flung over the top.

i also used to have a 96 dual cab hilux 4wd with a 4 inch lift, 33inch tyres and bars all round. had to go to the city every day for work with my tools in the back and for me it was to expensive to run another car for work

and the fact it was that high you could see under it if you were in a car so for other road users it was better for them
Old 03-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #112
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IF ya cant find the aswer to the question
Start bagging smokey ol diesels hey

If ya dont like diesels well the future aint gunna look to bright for you
I think the arguement of economy has been smashed
The arguement of wieght has been smashed

Just because some person has a bad day driving lets blame all other roadusers
Its the world we live in and,
Its YOUR fault,and YOURS and YOURS
Not mine

We could all move to china,pushbike anyone ???
Old 03-03-2011, 04:22 PM   #113
XPfalcon170

Quote:

That pretty much sums it up in my opinion. I have a lowered 98 falcon and a raised 85 4runner. The ford i use for everyday driving to work and heading to the city on weekends for example. The 4runner i bought purely for offroading, although i will drive it to work if need be.

I do dislike being behind 4wds AND trucks in traffic when im in the falcon for the fact that i cant see too well past them, but at the end of the day, i just make a bit more room between me and the 4wd/truck infront to compensate for lack of traffic vision

If your argument is that you cant see the oncoming traffic at a crossroads when next to a 4wd OR small/medium/large truck/bus/van and contemplate the option that you might crash when trying to turn left or right because your vision is impaired by said larger vehicle, then i do believe you shouldnt have a licsense to drive in the first place and that you yourself are more a danger and not the driver of the larger vehicle next to you.

On the topic that vision from a 4wd is better however, i do find that when changing lanes in the 4runner, i look over my should and use alot more caution during the merging procedure as its actually a bit harder to judge how close the vehicle behind is from a higher position. Perhaps i am more used to the fords lower driving position however. (This point for me though could come down to time spent in both vehicles)

But at the end of the day, it comes down to the responsibility and actions of the individual. No point getting worked up over something (in this case people in larger 4wds/trucks) because what someone else does/chooses to do affects your daily commute.

In a simple, somewhat hippyish statement, if everyone was to just take a chill pill when it comes to driving the road would be a much better place and this thread would be null and void before it even started
Old 03-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #114
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8HSV
Hi fellas...

Since I live out of the metropolitan area, I'm lucky that I don't have to drive in and around the city everyday.

However In the past 2 weeks Ive been forced to drive to Perth and in & around the city for most days.

My grunt is: I cant believe how many near misses Ive had with 4wds. I'm no where bias against people driving 4wds - but I have had some really bad run ins with them lately.

I personally don't see why you need to drive these things in the city, with there limited vision. Not to mention how hard people seem to have parking them. Where in Perth do you need to engage the gear box into 4wd???

I thought I was just unlucky to have so many bad encounters with them but it seems so many do in the city. I could add 50+ links on the negativity of them - mainly about the damage they can to do to pedestrians and other cars... But I'm not here to do that.

Im just surprised why people use such a big vehicle in the city. Not to mention the high fuel costs, registration costs and the cost to service them.

Freedom of choice, deal with it
Old 03-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #115
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

I have a big 4wd cause its useful and I like it!
Old 03-03-2011, 04:37 PM   #116
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe

How about have a spoon of concrete and harden up sucky babies, oh they are so scary and big They should not be allowed to have them, evil evil 4x4 owners

Why are the owners of buzz boxes concerned about my finances, why is it their business if I can afford the rego or petrol??? How about worry about your own back yard and stay out of other peoples business
+1
Old 03-03-2011, 06:12 PM   #117
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe

ha ha, yeah thats right, I forgot that driving a 4wd makes you a fulli tuff offroada!
its the attitude that's the problem
Old 03-03-2011, 06:28 PM   #118
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy500
ha ha, yeah thats right, I forgot that driving a 4wd makes you a fulli tuff offroada!
its the attitude that's the problem
this?
Old 03-03-2011, 06:47 PM   #119
Windsor220
Now Fordless

The 4WD debate is one that has been going on for ages.

Last year I had 2 cars, an XR8 and a Pajero. The Pajero was for offroading fun with the occasional drive to work. I sold the XR8 so had to drive the Paj everywhere. It had its advantages like not worrying about damage, abe to ride kerbs, good storage space etc but after a while it was just pointless because it was too bulky, slow and fuel guzzling. I dont see the point in driving one if you're not going offroad. Driving around the city in one would be a nightmare no matter what people say.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:58 PM   #120
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I can't wait till I buy my Toyota Prado 150 Kakadu with ARB bullbar and 2"lift kit...mmmm.
Closed Thread