Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-12-2013, 02:17 AM   #91
zilo
BANNED

Default Re: Any property gurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford man xf View Post
People would remember the House prices thread, which was around 3 years ago, all the doomsayers claimed the end was near and the bubble would burst, a whole heap of economic turmoil has happened since then, where did house prices go? Up! Even if there is a property crash, it's not like prices will plummet $100,000's of dollars (which is what the doomsayers want because they want to get into the market) the market may cool off and values will stay stagnant until things pick up again.
No mate, house prices haven't gone up.

I just paid 800k for a place advertised in 2010 for 1.65m

Also a block advertised for $155k I negotiated to 85k.

It's good to have cash at the moment.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #92
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post

No, you're wrong, that can't be, that's impossible! Property only goes up, it never goes down! You're guaranteed to double your money with property!

Listening to some of these spruikers trying to justify this ponzi scheme is like listening to a used car salesman trying to pass a clapped out ex taxi as a quality low km used car.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #93
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV414 View Post
Looking to make an entry in to the property market at the moment, as I've just finished taking care of some debts for the old lady. I don't want to make the same mistakes Mother dear did and end up owing a fortune on something that I'll make a loss on or no benefit in the future. She had a failed business venture for which she mortgaged the house.

Anyways I have about $400k to spend, and I will (technically, long story) have a deposit of around $80k (20%, to avoid LMI).

I have three options that I am considering. I really am looking to move out of the family home ASAP and my ideal location is Inner East of Melbourne (Toorak, Prahran, South Yarra, Richmond etc.).

Option 1: Buy a 1 bedroom modern apartment in the above-mentioned areas for around $370k (if I wait long enough I can find one for that I reckon). Cons with that is that you have no land value, will be paying body corporate and in future it won't appreciate the same as something with a bit of land value (or so I'm told).

Option 2: Obviously $370-400k doesn't buy much out there, so I was thinking I could just buy a property out near where I live (outer East, Lilydale area), move the old lady in to that, rent the old property (current house) out and that would cover most of the mortgage and the rest I'd put in from my pocket. Then I'd rent in the area I want to live I'm told the old adage goes "Buy where you can afford and rent where you want to live". I can't see any cons with this, except for the fact I'd be paying rent and a little for a mortgage - and I may have trouble to find a property in my price range.

Option 3: A friend has offered to buy a commercial property with me so we can tinker with cars etc. there. That'd be a good entry in to the real estate market and to obviously build equity off so that I can buy more property in future. Cons, unsure..

What are your thoughts guys? Bit confused as to which is the most productive path.

Any good forums or websites or reads anyone can link me to?

Thanks.
Hi FPV,

The original question has become a little side tracked. Did you get some useful info?

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #94
zilo
BANNED

buy in Geelong mate, much better value for the mortgage dollar.

a 3-400k mortgage would personally give me many sleepless nights...
This user likes this post:
Old 19-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #95
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:

Property is a medium to long term investment.

What did the 800k / 85k property trade at prior to your purchase, and the one prior to that?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #96
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
buy in Geelong mate, much better value for the mortgage dollar.

a 3-400k mortgage would personally give me many sleepless nights...
Ye buy in Geelong thers plenty of work at the Ford factory........for about 3 more yrs........lol!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2013, 07:27 PM   #97
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Wow, you got real lucky, everywhere I was looking has gone up, I could have purchased cheaper if I purchased back then.
It's pretty amusing though, considering the XR8 next year will be reborn with the same spec engine as the FG GT, could you imagine being a HSV owner forking out all that money on a brand new GTS, then pulling up to the lights next to a FH XR8 and then sitting side by side all the way to 100 and beyond
Even more embarrasing would be the lower spec variants of the VF in HSV's stable getting whopped by a factory XR8.
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2013, 10:59 PM   #98
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6 View Post
Ye buy in Geelong thers plenty of work at the Ford factory........for about 3 more yrs........lol!
Quicker commute from Geelong to Melb than Pakenham or Narre Warren matey.

But don't shout it out too loud, might raise prices here.

Can still buy a house for mid 200k with zero traffic lights to the westgate bridge in Geelong suburbs.
Old 19-12-2013, 11:05 PM   #99
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Quicker commute from Geelong to Melb than Pakenham or Narre Warren matey.

But don't shout it out too loud, might raise prices here.

Can still buy a house for mid 200k with zero traffic lights to the westgate bridge in Geelong suburbs.
I doubt that. Princes/Westgate freeway is just as bad if not worse than the Monash most mornings.
Old 19-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #100
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post
I doubt that. Princes/Westgate freeway is just as bad if not worse than the Monash most mornings.
I've lived the dream on both sides and you are wrong.

If you want to put your money on it I can upload the in car videos showing traffic banked to Laverton with road works versus Pakenham with no road works at all?
Old 20-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #101
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Stevz,

Do you just take the opposite side for the sake of the argument? The OP said the were many opportunities for a purchase at $250k with no traffic lights to the Westgate Bridge, somehow you want to dispute it.

The Geelong market is pretty healthy. In the Deakin Uni precinct, there are many $m being spend on development of the Uni, hospitals, manufacturing. In the scheme of things, the loss of 500 jobs at Ford (and I accept the number will be higher once the snowball effect of the closure is taken into account) is not the problem it would have been 20 years ago.

The continuation of the duplication of the Princes Hwy out to Winchelsea and the positive effect of the road already completed around Geelong has a positive effect too. Areas like Winchelsea, Inverleigh and Bannockburn have seen improvement in prices and development.

The commute from Geelong to Melbourne suffers some traffic congestion, no worse and no better than the other side of town. However, I drop my brother to Tullamarine every third Wednesday, congestion at 9am on the Western Ring Road only every second or third trip.

I'm prejudiced, born and bred in Cattown but life if good here. I'm in 3216, 15 minutes from town, 15 minutes from truly great beaches, 15 minutes from the bush.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
2 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #102
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy View Post
Stevz,

Do you just take the opposite side for the sake of the argument? The OP said the were many opportunities for a purchase at $250k with no traffic lights to the Westgate Bridge, somehow you want to dispute it.
Holden owner on a ford forum....
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #103
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Stevz,

No. My comments were based on personal experience of traveling both routes.
Not only is Geelong further from Melbourne than Pakenham, but the traffic usually hits a brick wall from as far back as Werribee, which from this point is a painful crawl all the way into the city.
IMO you would be crazy to drive into the city d in either of those places. Spending up to 4 hours a day in stressful traffic + fuel + wear and tear on your car? No thanks, I would either catch the train or find work closer to home.
Old 20-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #104
stevz
Banned

http://theage.domain.com.au/real-est...219-2zmbn.html

What is wrong with this picture?

Chinese investors are paying up to $200,000 over market value for properties sight unseen.
All this is doing is contributing to the ever inflating bubble and locking Australians out of their own property market.
This needs to be stopped immediately. Why are our governments sitting back and allowing greedy foreign investors to use our housing as a pawn in their game?
Old 20-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #105
XW-BAXR6T

Quote:
Why are our governments sitting back and allowing greedy foreign investors to use our housing as a pawn in their game?
Because they too busy filling their own pockets with $$$. They all in it for them self's, everyone of them. So would you if you were in their position.

Power corrupts pure & simple.

Nick.
XW-BAXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #106
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XW-BAXR6T View Post
Because they too busy filling their own pockets with $$$. They all in it for them self's, everyone of them. So would you if you were in their position.

Power corrupts pure & simple.
That's right, our government officials sit back and line their pockets while foreigners exploit and rape this country for all its worth.
I thought governments were supposed to govern in the interests of the Australian people, not foreigners, or is that a concept that went out the window years ago?
Whether it be immigration, free trade agreements, foreign investment policies etc etc we get screwed at every turn. What a fantastic legacy is being left to our future generations.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #107
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
No. My comments were based on personal experience of traveling both routes.
Not only is Geelong further from Melbourne than Pakenham, but the traffic usually hits a brick wall from as far back as Werribee, which from this point is a painful crawl all the way into the city.

Prove it?
Old 20-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #108
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Prove it?
http://werribee.starcommunity.com.au...traffic-choke/
Quote:
Mr Rowley said traffic congestion was costing Melbourne’s economy countless dollars.
“It’s not just the Westgate Bridge, it’s the Westgate Freeway. Often the traffic is banked up from the bridge to Hoppers Crossing,” he said.
Old 20-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #109
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Princess is bad but not as bad as Monash, it will get worse though cause we have more estates going up in the west.

Quote:
http://theage.domain.com.au/real-est...219-2zmbn.html

What is wrong with this picture?

Chinese investors are paying up to $200,000 over market value for properties sight unseen.
All this is doing is contributing to the ever inflating bubble and locking Australians out of their own property market.
This needs to be stopped immediately. Why are our governments sitting back and allowing greedy foreign investors to use our housing as a pawn in their game?
Who cares about housing, they are buying up all our food production land and company's too and the governments change laws to make it easier for them when locals oppose. I'd be more worried about that. Maybe Australia is destined to become china's food factory? It's a shame they won't hire Aussies to run it either.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #110
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_XR View Post
Who cares about housing, they are buying up all our food production land and company's too and the governments change laws to make it easier for them when locals oppose. I'd be more worried about that. Maybe Australia is destined to become china's food factory? It's a shame they won't hire Aussies to run it either.
Yes it's shocking, yet the Australian public are seemingly powerless to do anything about it.
Old 20-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #111
zilo
BANNED

Quote:

Hoppers crossing is a long way from Werribee.

I guess geography ain't your strongest point?
Old 20-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #112
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Hoppers crossing is a long way from Werribee.

I guess geography ain't your strongest point?
They are adjacent suburbs (not that I really want to support Stevz' arguments).

Old 20-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #113
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
They are adjacent suburbs (not that I really want to support Stevz' arguments).
Yeah...know where Werribee is...

But an exageration is an exageration and needs to be nipped in the bud.
Old 20-12-2013, 07:59 PM   #114
stevz
Banned

Which is why I said "as far back as Werribee" meaning "it has the potential to" or "sometimes but not all the time"
And as stated, they are adjacent suburbs, there is bugger all between them.

Talk about clutching at straws.
Old 20-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #115
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Which is why I said "as far back as Werribee" meaning "it has the potential to" or "sometimes but not all the time"
And as stated, they are adjacent suburbs, there is bugger all between them.

Talk about clutching at straws.

yeah sure..me clutching at straws?..

another 5klms of extra traffic is only a further 20% exaggeration in the overall distance by you..

You are exaggerating, it is NEVER as far back as Werribee and your pitiful "source" doesn't say it...only you do.

You've been caught out with BS so why bury yourself any further?
Old 20-12-2013, 10:17 PM   #116
stevz
Banned

Quote:
yeah sure..me clutching at straws?..

another 5klms of extra traffic is only a further 20% exaggeration in the overall distance by you..

You are exaggerating, it is NEVER as far back as Werribee and your pitiful "source" doesn't say it...only you do.

You've been caught out with BS so why bury yourself any further?
Whatever... I've seen it with my own eyes but that's obviously not a good enough source for you.
Anyway I'm done arguing over pointless petty things.
Old 21-12-2013, 12:17 AM   #117
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Anyway I'm done arguing over pointless petty things.
So you're leaving the forum, then?

4 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #118
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Yeah...know where Werribee is...

But an exageration is an exageration and needs to be nipped in the bud.
Your sarcasm was too subtle for me.

Old 21-12-2013, 04:31 PM   #119
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
So you're leaving the forum, then?
Beat me to it ya bugger...................
Old 21-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #120
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV414 View Post
Looking to make an entry in to the property market at the moment, as I've just finished taking care of some debts for the old lady. I don't want to make the same mistakes Mother dear did and end up owing a fortune on something that I'll make a loss on or no benefit in the future. She had a failed business venture for which she mortgaged the house.

Anyways I have about $400k to spend, and I will (technically, long story) have a deposit of around $80k (20%, to avoid LMI).

I have three options that I am considering. I really am looking to move out of the family home ASAP and my ideal location is Inner East of Melbourne (Toorak, Prahran, South Yarra, Richmond etc.).

Option 1: Buy a 1 bedroom modern apartment in the above-mentioned areas for around $370k (if I wait long enough I can find one for that I reckon). Cons with that is that you have no land value, will be paying body corporate and in future it won't appreciate the same as something with a bit of land value (or so I'm told).

Option 2: Obviously $370-400k doesn't buy much out there, so I was thinking I could just buy a property out near where I live (outer East, Lilydale area), move the old lady in to that, rent the old property (current house) out and that would cover most of the mortgage and the rest I'd put in from my pocket. Then I'd rent in the area I want to live I'm told the old adage goes "Buy where you can afford and rent where you want to live". I can't see any cons with this, except for the fact I'd be paying rent and a little for a mortgage - and I may have trouble to find a property in my price range.

Option 3: A friend has offered to buy a commercial property with me so we can tinker with cars etc. there. That'd be a good entry in to the real estate market and to obviously build equity off so that I can buy more property in future. Cons, unsure..

What are your thoughts guys? Bit confused as to which is the most productive path.

Any good forums or websites or reads anyone can link me to?

Thanks.
dave289 was the property guru on APF.
Syndrome is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post