Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #91
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Default Re: Toyota TRD aurion? Much to gloat about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMax View Post
I love bagging others peoples choices in life. It makes my inferiority complex that much easier to live with...
Can't like this post enough
Old 22-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #92
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
I love bagging others peoples choices in life. It makes my inferiority complex that much easier to live with...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVGIN...be.7gwjwhHTLzI
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #93
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
You can never get rid of TS, but you can get rid of 90% of it with a decent LSD.

Then again it really isn't pretty watching a RWD fishtail all over the road either is it? (unless it's justified as "fun")

Like my kid says...

in a FWD you see the tree coming straight at you.
in a RWD you never see the tree coming until it wacks you.

@mik-if you want to see an example of a FWD that doesn't have much TS and has as much power as a stock F6 then have a look in the non-ford members threads....I own one.
The torque steer on the Aurion is noting at all most of the time it's only when you drive it to hard, somthing like being a bit of a rat bag on the road and you should not be driving like that now should you, really.

I was impressed how good it was to be truthful as it was not like other FWD cars i have driven, as they were shocking with torque steer, just rubbish and it anoyed the hell out of you.

Yes the Aurion it's a good FWD car and does things well up to about 7 10ths then it becomes just a dog, but most people would never drive over that point in the first place and would not know any better anyway.

We are going to get FWD cars in the future and the days of RWD are numbered due to all the ADR laws forced on us.

FWD cars are just not really true enthusiast drivers cars and never will be.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #94
HULK_I6T
Banned

how does the Mazda 3 MPS drive?

That must have some torque steer? But apparently it gets around the twistys at a fair pace?
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #95
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People unaccustomed to a front wheel drive with good power will find it intimidating, until they realise driving a high power front wheel drive while fat arming and texting isn't going to work.
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #96
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Torque steer...lol, and you call yourselves men...pffft.

I remember a time when understeer was the norm, when power steering was for rich people, rims were 14" and tyres were 195/70r14 on a full sized family sedan.
Now, driving them hard could be considered a challenge, controlling slight torque steer in a FWD v6 built in the 00's is not rocket science, nor does it require superhuman abilities.

Whilst the wifes manual VRX Magna only puts out 160ish kw, the LSD allows it to put all of it down with barely the slightest hint of torque steer. I'd imagine a TRD would be well sorted to cope with the extra grunt.
BENT_8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #97
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6_benito
how does the Mazda 3 MPS drive?

That must have some torque steer? But apparently it gets around the twistys at a fair pace?
I remember it having a fair bit of torque steer, cause at the time it was making a bit more power and torque than the other hot hatches and it didn't have the trick revo-knuckle style front suspension like the Focus RS, Astra OPC and RenaultSport's use now a days.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #98
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post

Whilst the wifes manual VRX Magna only puts out 160ish kw, the LSD allows it to put all of it down with barely the slightest hint of torque steer. I'd imagine a TRD would be well sorted to cope with the extra grunt.
But the Aurion makes an extra 80kw and it doesn't have an LSD, and has typical soft un-sporting Camry/Aurion suspension, albeit slightly firmer.

Not to mention sorted not being a Toyota specialty at the time. This was well before the 86 was released.
Old 22-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #99
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
it didn't have the trick revo-knuckle style front suspension like the Focus RS, Astra OPC and RenaultSport's use now a days.
IIRC, Renault's perfo-hub preceded Ford's revo-knuckle, though they are basically the same thing.
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #100
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I remember it the other way round, that Revo knuckle was first but considering the development times its amazing that both Team RS and RenaultSport basically came up with the same idea within months of each other.
Old 23-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #101
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford used the revoknuckle from 2009, Renault used perfohub from 2004
Old 23-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #102
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you can't handle a bit of torque steer, your wrists must be pretty damn limp...
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #103
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I was under the impression that the current Megane was the first to use it, and it came out after the RS. But seems they used a version of it earlier.
Old 23-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #104
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I thought id actually have a go at getting my car to torque steer on the way to work this morn ie light grip on the wheel ready to act. 2nd, 3rd and 4th to about 4500rpm. It was near on non existent, slight hint of it though. I was
Tech has come a long way.

One thing i did enjoy about my old car (Modded XR5T) was the way the tune drove, 2nd, 3rd 4th and 5th if you hated your license, the way it drove with some torque steer kept you on the ball and watching whats going on was a great drive.
Torque steer IMO isnt the worst experience that can happen in a car.
6 users like this post:
Old 24-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #105
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
I thought id actually have a go at getting my car to torque steer on the way to work this morn ie light grip on the wheel ready to act. 2nd, 3rd and 4th to about 4500rpm. It was near on non existent, slight hint of it though. I was
Tech has come a long way.

One thing i did enjoy about my old car (Modded XR5T) was the way the tune drove, 2nd, 3rd 4th and 5th if you hated your license, the way it drove with some torque steer kept you on the ball and watching whats going on was a great drive.
Torque steer IMO isnt the worst experience that can happen in a car.
Tried in mine from the lights on a freeway on ramp. Launch control used and nothing. It pulled like crazy but in a straight line.

I suppose an electronic diff will do that.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2013, 08:41 PM   #106
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Torque steer isn't necessarily 'plant the foot and the wheel turns left'. In the Megane for example, its more like if you already have lock on the wheel, more throttle makes the lock increase. But at straight ahead its close to non-existant.
Old 24-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #107
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Torque steer isn't necessarily 'plant the foot and the wheel turns left'. In the Megane for example, its more like if you already have lock on the wheel, more throttle makes the lock increase. But at straight ahead its close to non-existant.
Tried that many times, still nothing apart from the traction control light going nuts.

Perhaps I need a tune to see if I can induce it?

Old 24-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #108
nstg8a

Try it with traction control,off...

They're all different, but i thought the more unequal length the driveshafts were the more it torque steered.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #109
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Try it with traction control,off...

They're all different, but i thought the more unequal length the driveshafts were the more it torque steered.
And there's tomorrow's challenge.

Old 25-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #110
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6_benito View Post
I was at wollongong with my f6 at a work do and some guy amongst a few people couldn't stop talking about his Toyota TRD aurion. I didn't say anything but he went on and on and on.. My f6 was there and I was trying not to laugh

Apparently they have 240kw and only 440 made. He said everyone tries to run him but he don't bite as he knows he would destroy them. Then he went on about superchargers being better than turbos and Toyota being better than anything in that price point (quality wise)

Are they much to gloat about? I thought they stopped making em as they were too expensive and the hsv/fpv used to destroy them for same price? Wouldn't even a stock ba xr6t flog it?

What do we know of them?
We have a series one in red.

Yes my BF Typhoon was way quicker, particularly from a standing start as the FWD is not strong here.

The in gear accelleration is no slouch, the XR6 turbo of the time would have its work cut out for it against the TRD. I really do not think that a BA XR6T standard would have much chance against one in in gear accelleration, maybe standing start due to FWD.

Handling is really quite good, torque steer is not as bad as everyone makes out. It really just makes you hold the steering wheel that is all, just like a RWD trying to step out at the rear does.

Interior is very good for the time, comfy seats that are very supportive and last better than any Ford or FPV (side bolster don't collapse).

Personally I do not compare it to my old Typhoon, they are different cars but the TRD is still a nice place to be and it has a heap of go.
Old 25-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #111
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6_benito View Post
I was at wollongong with my f6 at a work do and some guy amongst a few people couldn't stop talking about his Toyota TRD aurion. I didn't say anything but he went on and on and on.. My f6 was there and I was trying not to laugh

Apparently they have 240kw and only 440 made. He said everyone tries to run him but he don't bite as he knows he would destroy them. Then he went on about superchargers being better than turbos and Toyota being better than anything in that price point (quality wise)

Are they much to gloat about? I thought they stopped making em as they were too expensive and the hsv/fpv used to destroy them for same price? Wouldn't even a stock ba xr6t flog it?

What do we know of them?
I thought they stopped making them because the motors weren't built tto handle boost and kept going bang??? I know it happened a fair few times, and also the Qld police stopped buying them because they wrote a few of because of too much power in a front drive car
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #112
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

I love how a 3 page thread on an Aurion boils down to nothing but an argument about torque-steer...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #113
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
I love how a 3 page thread on an Aurion boils down to nothing but an argument about torque-steer...
True, want torque steer?
http://youtu.be/Ew6YwIN2IQc

OT epic noise too.
Old 25-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #114
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
True, want torque steer?
http://youtu.be/Ew6YwIN2IQc

OT epic noise too.
Never thought of Volvo's as fun lol looks Insane!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #115
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just went a requainted myself with one of these hideous cars and it hasn't got any less hideous with the years . Anyone who says these things don't torque steer is on drugs with a capital D .
Old 29-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #116
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Quote:
People unaccustomed to a front wheel drive with good power will find it intimidating, until they realise driving a high power front wheel drive while fat arming and texting isn't going to work.
After spending a fair amount of time behind the wheel of a Cadillac DTS V8 that was front wheel driven I found it boring not intimidating.

It felt like driving my mothers camry on steroids.
Had the go but was quite sterile in the way it drove combined with the torque steer.

It did a good job reminding me about the Mustang I was supposed to get instead of it every time I drove it. :(
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #117
Flat Top
lid man

ive got a left over complete Aurion Body kit if anybody wants one (its Black)

prodirve assembled the car for Toyota .

I drove it , it seemed nice to drive, there was very little torque steer. The fuel efficiency was better than the normal aurion if i recall??
In my view , they picked the wrong vehicles. Its should have been the corolla 4wd.
(aust had the engineering know how to Trick this unit up due to rally experience)
Fabuolous Body Kit though

all wasted
Trev
Flat Top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #118
nstg8a

I sat behind one going through the car wash the other day, I thought it looked quite sharp in black. All angular and shiz. Kinda cool, in a dressed up cardigan sort of way
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #119
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I really am quite impressed by ours, the build quality is impressive. Ours now has 95,000km's on it and I am sorry but it is ageing better than any of my BAI, BAII and BF vehicles. It has no rattles or sagging panels. The seats seem to wear a lot better as well.

The engine is a gem, pulls well from idle and if it was RWD many would be singing its praises. Let's face it, the real reason it did not take off in sales is because the Australian large performance market does not like FWD, no other reason.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #120
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
But the Aurion makes an extra 80kw and it doesn't have an LSD, and has typical soft un-sporting Camry/Aurion suspension, albeit slightly firmer.

Not to mention sorted not being a Toyota specialty at the time. This was well before the 86 was released.
Have you driven a TRD or are you just guessing?