Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 22-01-2006, 10:41 AM   #91
eav8

Not water pump is coming from further back in th engine itself....Sounds like it's around #3 or #4 cylinder or at back of engine.
Weather not too good today so probably won't get to taking sump off til midweek (gotta help a friend move house mon&tues) so probably won't have an answer until thursday or friday...if it's obvious..otherwise I will have to completely remove engine from vehicle and pull out each piston/rod assy and inspect...Not looking forward to that :(
project #1: Ea series1 Spac conversion to straight gas; 351Cleveland; T5; EB dash; sunroof and more as I get to them. :evilsasmo
Fully road legal and cruising in QLD!!
---------------------------------------------------
Happy dealings with; PROTD, !gn!t!on, Big_waity,Phongus
eav8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 11:41 AM   #92
eav8

I haven't as yet pulled the sump but I think I may have found the problem. I drained the sump oiul....no contaminants. That confused me cause there was loose metal specks in the head oil.
I rechecked the head...nothing obvious....I rigged up my 1000w floodlights for a real GOOD look.
read here.... http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=34372
project #1: Ea series1 Spac conversion to straight gas; 351Cleveland; T5; EB dash; sunroof and more as I get to them. :evilsasmo
Old 22-01-2006, 11:42 AM   #93
eav8

I had also listened to a recording of the engine running as a 302 compared to recording as 351 and could just hear same noise....Only thing same aprat from cam was heads....ggggggrrrrr
Old 24-01-2006, 11:51 AM   #94
Dezza
Parts bin special

Damn. That doesn't sound too good

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2006, 02:42 PM   #95
eav8

turns out one of the heads was not fine....a dodgy valve guide was installed and the valve was partially sticking...thus catch, smack.....head has gone back to hmgem today...hopefully they will agree with my finding and rectify.....maybe going to wrk out cheaper than i was dreading
Old 24-01-2006, 02:44 PM   #96
eav8

i'm still going to get and prep another block anyway
Old 24-01-2006, 02:56 PM   #97
EA2BA
PM me if you want

hmgem ..... hmmmmmmmmmmm

to many mass produced whack em together rebuilds to care to much about quailty, most hmgem engines I have pulled apart at the wreckers have stripped bolts amongst other dodgy practices.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2006, 04:29 PM   #98
eav8

I'm just glad I only purchased heads from them..the rest I bolted together myself so we'll see how that goes ;)
Old 04-02-2006, 03:05 AM   #99
PINKEA
just a little krazy

I am looking at putting a 351C into my EA, and I have been told (in another forum) that I have to get an engineers opinion, yet the guy that does the re registering of vehicles here in WA has said all I need to do is get V8 springs for the front end and he'll register it as a V8?? Have you had to check with an engineer with regards to your car??
PINKEA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 09:49 AM   #100
eav8

In queensland you have to get a mod (modification) inspection done. I have contacted a ford dealer that does these and they told me that I 'should' do the following
1. Use a v8 k frame from an EB......I 'm currently just using the standard EA kframe
2. Upgrade springs to V8 version as the engine is a fair bit heavier than a I6..I will be doing this.

The following are MUST do's,
3. Run either straight LPG or fit fuel injection...I'm going LPG until I can get bits together to convert to EFI...I'm going to modifiy a windsor EFI setup with 4 barrel throttle body to suit..my manifold has blanks that can be modified to take injectors
4. The LPG system must then be tuned by a licenced installer to meet exhaust emissions levels....I'm using a mob with a dyno so they can get it going a well as possible.
5. Catalytic converters MUST be installed on any vehicle post 1986 regardless of what engine or fuel it is running.

Other things you need to consider
Starter motor is moved to passenger side of vehicle
clutch (if manual) is moved to driver's side of vehicle.

(du to my mods a new custom bellhousing is now available through Dellow Automotive. It mounts a Hydraulic clutch on the drivers side)..If converting to Hydraulic clutch you will need to cut out the section of firewall where the cable clutch goes through and mount master cylinder there. You need to remove the brake booster whilst doingthis mod. Reinforcing plates are a must for the clutch on the firewall. Bolt master cylinder in before you replace brtake booster. It is a tight fit but the booster will pull down without major dramas.

You will need to utilise high torque reduction style starter motor to clear steering rack
You should raise engine at leaast 10mm to obtain adequate clearance.
Stock exhaust manifolds will fit when engine is lifted this far. (I just drilled out four nuts and instaled between engine mounts and block)
Power steering lines will need to be extended. (or EB V8 ones used)
Standard X-series engine mounts will work if you drill new holes through the K-Frame..I would suggest filling in old ones.

Any more questions feel free to ask
Old 05-02-2006, 05:46 PM   #101
eav8

OK...Major problems sorted. I have installed the replacement head I was sent from HMGEM (it had some surface rust but none on the valves or springs).

I can happily say now that it starts and runs. What's better I did three laps around my house spinning the wheel most of the way

I am having trouble getting the starter motor to mesh properly with the flywheel. It's almost like the solenoid hasn't got enough push to get the gear into place befor it start spinning.....So I have a hit and grind and miss type of thing going on with my starter and flywheel at the moment. (along with some burred teeth now).

I fabricated a exhaust system from some scrap. I currentl have xseries header pipes welded to eb 5.0litre cat converters. These are running back through mostly 2 1/4 inch pipe to the 2 1/2 inch mufflers then on through dual 2 1/2 inch tailpies and out the rear just either side of the towbar point. (dual pipes coming out the centre rear of the car look good IMO)
Sounds BLOODY AWSOME....I don't think the note is quiet enough to be legal but who cares at the moment...
Note really sounds great when revs come on....Has a lumpish idle..kinda make you think it's going to stop but it doesn't. The cam is 1 step up 351GT model..I'll post some specs when I dig up the grind tag again.
T5 is working perfectly with the hydraulic clutch.
T5 is leaking from rear seal so I will have to rectify that..(another thing for the list)
I am using an efi pump and a 5 litre tin for my petrol supply at the moment...lol..works great installed a t section so that it doesn't over flow the 750dp holley.

I still need to aquire a set of EF thermo fans and V8 radiator (my current one has a hole)....
I don't run the engine too long at the moment due to a lack of cooling but I haven't overheated it YET.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:04 PM   #102
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

Great effort mate! Don't suppose you could get a sound file of the exhaust note?
ilsautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2006, 09:01 PM   #103
eav8

I have a wave file of the note with just the cats...willl get a file of it with exhaust system in next couple of days.
Can anyone tell me how to post audio files?
Old 05-02-2006, 09:48 PM   #104
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

You will need web space. If that's an issue, e-mail it to tc_six@hotmail.com and I can take care of the rest.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:41 PM   #105
PINKEA
just a little krazy

Hey, Thanks for that info really appreciate your help. I have a tricked up C4 & Hi stall to go behind the motor and a hurst shifter to put her into gear.

This is about one of the last major mods that my car will be getting. So far I have had her panelbeated and painted pink blending to a magenta around the bottom (done by my partner all it cost me was 'Love'. My Partner has made a custom rear spoiler (is yet to finish front, side & rear wing). Windows have been tinted, roof lining redone, seats recovered in pink & black leather look vinyl (which I am regretting as I am constantly getting burnt legs everytime i get it), I have dragways on her that my partner has painted the rims in same magenta and polished the centres, now with 245x14 rubber all around. MP3 playa installed, had to use my house stereo speakers (ran out of money, but boy can they pump out some sound and don't half look bad).

Just got to get new carpet and sort out the rest of the interior, that orrible grey plastic stuff just doesn't match anymore!!
Old 05-02-2006, 11:43 PM   #106
PINKEA
just a little krazy

Sorry, How do i post pics on these threads, someone wants to c my car
Old 06-02-2006, 09:32 AM   #107
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

When you post a reply you'll see a 'Manage Attachments' button which will allow you to upload from your PC under Additional Options. Or if you're struggling, just e-mail to tc_six@hotmail.com. Sounds like a very interesting project. ;)

Also I've merged the 2 threads on this topic since both are current.
Old 14-02-2006, 11:07 PM   #108
eav8

Today I fired the beast on LPG. After some tweaks it seems to run well. Has gotten rid of nasty detonation. Took for a test drive (not too long have yet to get thermo's) and gave it a bit of boot. Pick up was nice and smooth. I still have to plumb in the o2 sensor and wire up the LPG computer and flow controller then it should be running to epa requirements. Then I just need to have it 'professionaly' inspected and certified...Still a while away from being legally on the road so it won't see too much test time but is progressing well.

I've started a cert II in automotive underbody so will hopefully learn something new over the next few months...Doing it more for the bit of paper though.
Old 15-02-2006, 07:23 AM   #109
AshMan
Girrrrr!!!

good on ya mate, its nice to see some positive progress,

will have to swing by and have a look when I take the missus to hervey bay in the next month or two...

: : :

Heritage green, isn't that a fence paint?
AshMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 08:11 AM   #110
eav8

no worries AshMan just gives us a pm before you do to make sure I'm home.
Old 15-02-2006, 04:58 PM   #111
AshMan
Girrrrr!!!

yeah well making sure you're home would be a good start...

just leave your house keys in the letter box and I'll let myself in...

lol

Heritage green, isn't that a fence paint?
AshMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 07:36 PM   #112
eav8

^^^^^^^^ lol ^^^^
Old 16-02-2006, 11:18 AM   #113
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

You seem to be making great progress on this project. Why are you intending to change from LPG to EFI? Do you honestly think you will be able to get the Clevo past EPA requirements on petrol, even if it's EFI?

Shall also be interesting to see how you go getting the important piece of paper from the engineer. Hopefully it will work out well for you.
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2006, 04:56 PM   #114
LUXO_8
windsor user

i think he's running a decent LPG controller.... not actually converting to EFI
Quote:
Pick up was nice and smooth. I still have to plumb in the o2 sensor and wire up the LPG computer and flow controller then it should be running to epa requirements
i doubt, even with fuel injection, that a clevo could meet the emissions reqs....
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2006, 07:55 PM   #115
eav8

ok fellas I was thinkging of converting to full sequential EFI at some stage down the track but have decided to stay with the straight gas setup.
The gas system I am currently instaling is just a standard closed loop computer setup HOWEVER I will be seriousy ooking at possibly sequential vapour injection a little down the track to liven things up a bit more.

In regardss to converting to PULP EFI I was informed by ford inspection mob that if i were to run factory EFI system and could get exhaust tuned to fall within acceptable limits they would approve it. This seems to close to be worth trying so I will stay with LPG
It's cheaper at the moment but more importantly it means my clevo will be able to play for at least a few more years...
Gotta say I'm interested in the Mega squirt systems for spark and fuel control and was wondering how it would go being tailored to suit vapour injection....hmmm

anyway first things first.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:39 PM   #116
PINKEA
just a little krazy

how are things going with the project. Have removed the 6 from our dummy car, next thing is putting in a 302C block (running) (351 getting rebuilt) into engine bay and lining everything up etc. Have found out I am going to have to modify fuel tank to accomodate twin exhaust system but lucky me I have a mechanical minded man whose fav quote is "it is not impossible, it is just the degree of difficulty"

Was your original engine EFI or carburetted???????
Old 04-03-2006, 10:10 PM   #117
eav8

my donor car came minus engine but I think it was a cfi model...
Due to going straight gas I removed my fuel tank completely....
I haven't progressed too far since my last post due to comencing a cert II in automotive under body (preapprenticeship) to give me a bit more credability and knowledge. Not bad for a 32 yearold.

Anyway. I have got the beasty running reliably on straight gas as of today... Have yet to obtain ef thermo setup but have been utilising a single 14 inch unit. It's only good for short test drives though.

I raised my spare wheel well a couple of inches to clear my pipes...I take it that you are going to be running pipes out either side of the car. Mine dump centrally just either side of where the tow bar would sit if I had one.
If that is the case then you could look at doing a drop tank style or reshaping the tank and moving it further to the centre of the car. Maybe even shape it to curve around the side of the spare well.

I have so far managed to fit everything under the bonnet. That's including the 10mm engine lift to give good clearance around the starter motor to steering rack.

I will get some pics of the current bay setup and how the pipes exit soon.
Maybe I should do a freebie website so I can upload some sound files as well.

It's nearly mechanically ready, time to start on the cosmetics and interior...nothing too radical going to happen there.
Oh well more as it happens.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:37 PM   #118
PINKEA
just a little krazy

Yeah pipes will be coming out either side. My partner has made the custome rear bumper to accomodate pipes either side. Already getting a few comments about the twin system and I haven't even got it in yet (got holes made for twin system but only one hole as an exhaust coming out, looks deceiving from the rear), might explain why I get hasseled at lights when driving in perth. Looks like my car will be off the road for a bit, engine bay has to be painted, then engine installed and I will get the exterior repainted same colours but maybe with a silver base, should make the pink pearl little brighter. Door skins are in the process of being recovered, found a new vinyl that stretches 4 ways and can be used on moulded items. They will be black with pink inserts around door handle. Cant wait till shes finished properly!!!! been 2 years in the making, 1 year for the panel and paintwork (partner is very fussy with regard to straitness) and 1 year of being able to drive her everyday and little bits done during a quiet day @ work, Lucky I have a good boss!!

:evil_laug Its not what you drive, its how you drive it that counts!! :Up_to_som
Old 06-03-2006, 08:49 PM   #119
eav8

good to hear you are progressing well. Ihave been concentrating on driveline with body work to come. keep us updated as you progress.
Old 24-03-2006, 08:08 PM   #120
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well.. I have got my car for this project... but it's not an EA.. it's a NA !!
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post